Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Like Tree61Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 2nd, 2012, 02:44 PM   #201 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
MutantCheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Edge of Insanity
Posts: 782
 
Device(s): LG G2, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Tab 10.1 32GB, Moto Droid X (GB 2.3.3 rooted)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 98 Times in 66 Posts
Default

+1 for Wug's Toolkit Just make sure you use the correct version for the build you are running. 4.0.2 uses V1.3, and 4.0.4 uses V1.4 IIRC. The root process if different.

Advertisements
__________________
Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4.2.1 CM10.1 Jelly Bean!
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 32 GB Metallic
DX Apex 2.0 RC2 (.596) .13P baseband- shelved
MutantCheese is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MutantCheese For This Useful Post:
Ed5275 (July 5th, 2012), jbdan (July 2nd, 2012)
sponsored links
Old July 3rd, 2012, 02:07 PM   #202 (permalink)
Member
 
Ed5275's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 152
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 12
Thanked 91 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantCheese View Post
+1 for Wug's Toolkit Just make sure you use the correct version for the build you are running. 4.0.2 uses V1.3, and 4.0.4 uses V1.4 IIRC. The root process if different.
This will sound insane, but I got the Wug's Toolkit and it looks easy enough, but I can't download the drivers because the window that pops up stops scrolling before the button shows up.

Every other method is a mess. Guess I'll have to wait on rooting it.
Ed5275 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 04:27 PM   #203 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Utah
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,023
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus LTE
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 324
Thanked 73 Times in 58 Posts
Default

Try a different browser.
paleodust is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #204 (permalink)
Member
 
Ed5275's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 152
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 12
Thanked 91 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Well, it took a lot of reading and a lot of trial and error, but I got a great toolkit, unlocked, rooted and after three tries, I finally got Jelly Bean up and running.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Even though I didn't use them directly, they led me down the right path to success.

So far, so good with JB!

Here is the toolkit I ended up using, FYI: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1392310
Ed5275 is offline  
Last edited by Ed5275; July 5th, 2012 at 06:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 06:30 AM   #205 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
AntimonyER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 13,642
 
Device(s): Droid DNA, Nexus 7 16GB
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 5,041
Thanked 9,353 Times in 5,034 Posts
Default

Hey Ed5275, make sure you check out the VZW All Things root section, there is a ton of JB Rom stuff going on in there. Most of the stuff in the general forum here is for the non-root related questions

So anyone else think the move by Google to incorporate the Apple injunction work around into Jelly Bean as opposed to a quick fix OTA for ICS was genius? Now Verizon is forced to either fast track JB, or stop selling the GNex once their on hand stock runs out. I think our wait for JB is going to be a lot shorter than it was for 4.0.4.
paleodust likes this.
__________________
Site Rules & Guidelines
Got some help? Hit Thanks!
See something you like? Hit Like!
See something you hate? Hit Report!
AntimonyER is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 07:59 AM   #206 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Utah
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,023
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus LTE
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 324
Thanked 73 Times in 58 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntimonyER View Post

So anyone else think the move by Google to incorporate the Apple injunction work around into Jelly Bean as opposed to a quick fix OTA for ICS was genius? Now Verizon is forced to either fast track JB, or stop selling the GNex once their on hand stock runs out. I think our wait for JB is going to be a lot shorter than it was for 4.0.4.
I was hoping that would happen.
paleodust is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 09:05 AM   #207 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,254
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 47
Thanked 177 Times in 131 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntimonyER View Post
Hey Ed5275, make sure you check out the VZW All Things root section, there is a ton of JB Rom stuff going on in there. Most of the stuff in the general forum here is for the non-root related questions

So anyone else think the move by Google to incorporate the Apple injunction work around into Jelly Bean as opposed to a quick fix OTA for ICS was genius? Now Verizon is forced to either fast track JB, or stop selling the GNex once their on hand stock runs out. I think our wait for JB is going to be a lot shorter than it was for 4.0.4.

I assume Verizon will stop selling on hamd stock of this phone, if they haven't already. Apple's lawyers are out there telling people to stop selling them ASAP. If so, JB can't be too far away.
FramCire is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 09:09 AM   #208 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
AntimonyER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 13,642
 
Device(s): Droid DNA, Nexus 7 16GB
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 5,041
Thanked 9,353 Times in 5,034 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FramCire View Post
I assume Verizon will stop selling on hamd stock of this phone, if they haven't already. Apple's lawyers are out there telling people to stop selling them ASAP. If so, JB can't be too far away.
I could be mistaken, but I think the injunction only applies to Samsung. Technically Verizon has already bought the inventory it has, and those phones are past the authority of the injunction.
AntimonyER is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 09:17 AM   #209 (permalink)
Member
 
UrsusVIIILXXXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 330
 
Device(s): VZW Galaxy Nexus AOKP (retired to MMD) Droid X Gummy 1.2.0
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 65 Times in 56 Posts
Default

Wrong thread. Oops.
UrsusVIIILXXXVII is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 10:00 AM   #210 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,254
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 47
Thanked 177 Times in 131 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntimonyER View Post
I could be mistaken, but I think the injunction only applies to Samsung. Technically Verizon has already bought the inventory it has, and those phones are past the authority of the injunction.

I know at least one online site has been asked to stop selling them by Apple's lawyers and plan to comply. Also play store has pulled sales at this point.

Either way, I get the feeling the update on Verizon isn't far away. Although they are usually deadly slow on updates, it wouldn't surprise me if by next Friday we had an update..
FramCire is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 6th, 2012, 10:29 AM   #211 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 38
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Default OTA Starting to Roll Out

It appears that the OTA for current VZW gnex users will only fix the search infringement issue:

Droid Life
fatalysis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 11:19 AM   #212 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,254
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 47
Thanked 177 Times in 131 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalysis View Post
It appears that the OTA for current VZW gnex users will only fix the search infringement issue:

Droid Life

Did you read the article that went with it? It stated the devise pictured is a test devise and thus not to expect update right away

It will be interesting to see how this works.
FramCire is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 11:25 AM   #213 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
thefletch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 64
 
Device(s): HTC Desire rooted gingervillan 2.8, old faithful G1 2.2 rooted, GNex 4.0.4 rooted
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I read that it supposed to be out for the Gnex this month so it will probably be August lol
jbdan likes this.
__________________
I might be in a wheelchair but I'm no
STEPHEN HAWKINGS!!!
thefletch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #214 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dubbin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: N/W Ohio
Posts: 1,524
 
Device(s): LG G2 Asus Transformer Pad TF300T Nexus 7
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 316
Thanked 1,480 Times in 765 Posts
Default

It took them 6 months to push out a small update, I wouldn't expect us to get our Jellybeans any time soon.
__________________
Feel free to hit the Thanks button if I helped you in any way.

Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. Sign up for free! http://db.tt/5aq8SJ6b
Dubbin1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 01:15 PM   #215 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
AntimonyER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 13,642
 
Device(s): Droid DNA, Nexus 7 16GB
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 5,041
Thanked 9,353 Times in 5,034 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbin1 View Post
It took them 6 months to push out a small update, I wouldn't expect us to get our Jellybeans any time soon.
Eh, this time there is a money penalty involved (Loss of the ability to sell a well received phone). And if Apple contacted them like it did other retailers about not selling the phone, I think they would prefer not to piss Apple off, considering they also sell the iPhone. I bet we see an update pretty quickly.
AntimonyER is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #216 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dubbin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: N/W Ohio
Posts: 1,524
 
Device(s): LG G2 Asus Transformer Pad TF300T Nexus 7
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 316
Thanked 1,480 Times in 765 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntimonyER View Post
Eh, this time there is a money penalty involved (Loss of the ability to sell a well received phone). And if Apple contacted them like it did other retailers about not selling the phone, I think they would prefer not to piss Apple off, considering they also sell the iPhone. I bet we see an update pretty quickly.
I'm talking about JB not the search update. JB has nothing to do with apples stupid lawsuit.
Dubbin1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 01:45 PM   #217 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
AntimonyER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 13,642
 
Device(s): Droid DNA, Nexus 7 16GB
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 5,041
Thanked 9,353 Times in 5,034 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbin1 View Post
I'm talking about JB not the search update. JB has nothing to do with apples stupid lawsuit.
Actually, Google is fixing it by modifying Jelly Bean and pushing it out with the fix incorporated into AOSP JB. So I would be surprised if Verizon got a patch to ICS while all the others got the fix via JB...
AntimonyER is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 02:39 PM   #218 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 20
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Please check in JB can we plug USB Memory sick without rooting?
malinda72 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #219 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
AntimonyER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 13,642
 
Device(s): Droid DNA, Nexus 7 16GB
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 5,041
Thanked 9,353 Times in 5,034 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by malinda72 View Post
Please check in JB can we plug USB Memory sick without rooting?
Unfortunately, I don't know if there is a way to verify this, as currently the only way to get JB is to be rooted
AntimonyER is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 07:21 PM   #220 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Iowa City, IA
Posts: 608
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus (32GB LTE), Nexus 7 (16GB), Motorola XOOM (LTE), HTC Incredible (Retired-Media Player)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 82
Thanked 77 Times in 61 Posts
Default

Maybe I'm jaded, but I don't expect verizon to release jelly bean within the summer. I think Google needs to do something about it because I'm sure Google wants Google now to be in as many hands as possible, and definitely the hands of Galaxy Nexus owners assuming Google really wants to compete with Apple and Siri. (And yes, I agree, Google now and Siri aren't exactly the same, but most consumers won't know that).
zetroc is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 7th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #221 (permalink)
Member
 
William T Riker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: East Coast USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 476
 
Device(s): N10, ME370T, XT875, i515, i535, SM-N900V
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 26
Thanked 132 Times in 90 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntimonyER View Post
Actually, Google is fixing it by modifying Jelly Bean and pushing it out with the fix incorporated into AOSP JB. So I would be surprised if Verizon got a patch to ICS while all the others got the fix via JB...
GSM HSPA+ Nexus of course, IMM76Q is looking like VZW's fix, if you dont root and rom it yourself you will be waiting for 4.1.
__________________
"Executing Sudo Command"
William T Riker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #222 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 31
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

My nexus is running JB right now :-)
frankied22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2012, 04:30 AM   #223 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 20
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankied22 View Post
My nexus is running JB right now :-)
Is your phone rooted?
malinda72 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 08:31 AM   #224 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Homan13PSU's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 508
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 102 Times in 78 Posts
Default

Galaxy Nexus source code for Jelly Bean has hit AOSP...which INCLUDES the binaries for Verizon.
drbugsmn likes this.
__________________
Unlocked Samsung Galaxy Nexus, LTE
ROM: JB Sourcery-V2.3
Kernel: 3.0.31-g396c4df
Retired Devices: HTC Incredible, Apple iPad 2
Homan13PSU is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Homan13PSU For This Useful Post:
atrain311 (July 10th, 2012)
Old July 10th, 2012, 08:57 AM   #225 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 546
 
Device(s): N5
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2,934
Thanked 466 Times in 296 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homan13PSU View Post
Galaxy Nexus source code for Jelly Bean has hit AOSP...which INCLUDES the binaries for Verizon.
Thats great news! I wonder if the binaries include a newer radio firmware blob.
drbugsmn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 09:58 AM   #226 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
atrain311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Queensbury, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,293
 
Device(s): Too many to keep track of. But most recently a Note 2 and Note 3.
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 1,113
Thanked 535 Times in 319 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homan13PSU View Post
Galaxy Nexus source code for Jelly Bean has hit AOSP...which INCLUDES the binaries for Verizon.

I'm sorry to be such a noob, but specifically what does that mean? I'm assuming that this means we are one step closer to an actual update, but I hate assuming, haha. Thanks in advance.
atrain311 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 10:30 AM   #227 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 546
 
Device(s): N5
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2,934
Thanked 466 Times in 296 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrain311 View Post
I'm sorry to be such a noob, but specifically what does that mean? I'm assuming that this means we are one step closer to an actual update, but I hate assuming, haha. Thanks in advance.
Binary_Visions posted a very well written post on this topic:

Verizon Galaxy Nexus (Toro) is back on AOSP!?
drbugsmn is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drbugsmn For This Useful Post:
atrain311 (July 10th, 2012), mbrainerdii (July 10th, 2012)
Reply

Galaxy Nexus
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Galaxy Nexus is the third official phone contracted by Google and the first phone to come with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. Specs include a 1.2GHz dual-core processor, 1GB of RAM, 16/32GB of internal storage, a 4.65 inch 720p HD Super AMOLED... Read More

Tags
galaxy nexus, jelly bean


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.