Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 14th, 2012, 09:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 252
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default Can't get NFC and not sure if even working

Verizon Galaxy Nexus, rooted with AOKP b38.

I've tried every NFC app I could, but I Can't get it to detect anything. I've tried with my driver's license, and a keycard from work.

I get no reaction what so ever.

Is there any surefire way I can find out if NFC is even functioning?

(Before anyone asks, it is defintiely turned on)

Trel is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 14th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 542
 
Device(s): Gnex; Nexus 7 Nexus 10 Borked Original Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2,932
Thanked 464 Times in 294 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trel View Post
Verizon Galaxy Nexus, rooted with AOKP b38.

I've tried every NFC app I could, but I Can't get it to detect anything. I've tried with my driver's license, and a keycard from work.

I get no reaction what so ever.

Is there any surefire way I can find out if NFC is even functioning?

(Before anyone asks, it is defintiely turned on)
I had the same issue (wanted to write an app to store my work badge), no joy. apparently not all rfid is compatible with nfc. Turns out I have a citi mastercard that has a smartchip in it (look for the words paypass, or a sorta wifi looking symbol). I use the app called "Taginfo", and just slide the card along the back of the phone and it sees it.

another option is if you know someone else with a gnex (or one of the other nfc enabled phones) is to open something like a contact and touch it to the other phone. Cool animation of it dropping into the other phone.
drbugsmn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 09:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 252
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbugsmn View Post
I had the same issue (wanted to write an app to store my work badge), no joy. apparently not all rfid is compatible with nfc. Turns out I have a citi mastercard that has a smartchip in it (look for the words paypass, or a sorta wifi looking symbol). I use the app called "Taginfo", and just slide the card along the back of the phone and it sees it.

another option is if you know someone else with a gnex (or one of the other nfc enabled phones) is to open something like a contact and touch it to the other phone. Cool animation of it dropping into the other phone.
I tried with all manner of cards with no response.

Now, I do know someone else with a gnex. About a week ago, we did get a reaction. But now, we don't.

Additionally, neither of us can get a reaction from his chipped credit card.

I'm not sure what this means though.

Is it possible that both our NFC capabilities broke?

I'm going to put the stock rom on in a while and see if that has any effect.
Trel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 09:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 542
 
Device(s): Gnex; Nexus 7 Nexus 10 Borked Original Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2,932
Thanked 464 Times in 294 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trel View Post
I tried with all manner of cards with no response.

Now, I do know someone else with a gnex. About a week ago, we did get a reaction. But now, we don't.

Additionally, neither of us can get a reaction from his chipped credit card.

I'm not sure what this means though.

Is it possible that both our NFC capabilities broke?

I'm going to put the stock rom on in a while and see if that has any effect.
interesting, I wonder if it is an issue with the rom? Once you switch, please repost, cuirous to hear. Good luck!
drbugsmn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 252
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbugsmn View Post
interesting, I wonder if it is an issue with the rom? Once you switch, please repost, cuirous to hear. Good luck!
It still doesn't react to my cards. I ordered a few NFC tags, I'll see if I can get anything from those when they come.

Is there anything I can do to verify that it's working on my phone as far as hardware goes, error logs, etc?
Trel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Friendly Undead
 
OfTheDamned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Right Behind You
Posts: 9,696
 
Device(s): Droid Razr Maxx
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3,714
Thanked 8,839 Times in 3,067 Posts
Default

Just checking, but are you using the stock battery?
__________________
Site Rules and Guidelines - Learn them, live them and love them.

Does a post have your blood boiling? Make a instead of a retort.
OfTheDamned is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OfTheDamned For This Useful Post:
colchiro (July 4th, 2012), drbugsmn (June 14th, 2012)
Old June 14th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 542
 
Device(s): Gnex; Nexus 7 Nexus 10 Borked Original Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2,932
Thanked 464 Times in 294 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfTheDamned View Post
Just checking, but are you using the stock battery?
Duh! Excellent question!
drbugsmn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 252
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfTheDamned View Post
Just checking, but are you using the stock battery?

I am. (I'm aware of the antenna placement)

I should ask this. Is there any sort of test case that should definitely work I can use to test?
(Over the weekend, I'm going to back up all my files and revert completely to stock, but I want to have a test that should work indefinitely as long as there's no hardware issues)
Trel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Friendly Undead
 
OfTheDamned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Right Behind You
Posts: 9,696
 
Device(s): Droid Razr Maxx
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3,714
Thanked 8,839 Times in 3,067 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trel View Post
I am. (I'm aware of the antenna placement)

I should ask this. Is there any sort of test case that should definitely work I can use to test?
(Over the weekend, I'm going to back up all my files and revert completely to stock, but I want to have a test that should work indefinitely as long as there's no hardware issues)
Do you have Google Wallet installed? If you did then you could test at just about any Wallgreen's, 7-11, McDonalds or Arbys.

EDIT: Actually I think Walgreen's just updated their system and Google Wallet isn't working yet.
OfTheDamned is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 252
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default

I have a Verizon gnex, so I haven't bothered to track down an apk for that. If you have a link to a legitimate one I'd be happy to try.
Trel is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 15th, 2012, 03:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Pedro, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 286
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus (Verizon) Nexus 7 (8GB, WiFi) Motorola Droid (retired / pmp)
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 58
Thanked 61 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfTheDamned View Post
Do you have Google Wallet installed? If you did then you could test at just about any Wallgreen's, 7-11, McDonalds or Arbys.

EDIT: Actually I think Walgreen's just updated their system and Google Wallet isn't working yet.
Unfortunately, that won't be a definite test because the PayPass terminal might not be working properly at whatever location you try it. I've had it not work a 2 different McDonald's locations, but then it worked at a 3rd McDonald's and a 7-11. This was using an apk.

After using the browser market trick to get the official version, I was able to use it at a gift shop in an airport, so it still worked.

More recently, it failed at a CVS, but this was after I had done a factory reset. I reset Google Wallet first so it wouldn't break, but I haven't had a chance to try using it at a place I know it works.

If you're on 4.0.4, you should be able to use the browser trick to get the official market version.
umataro42 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2012, 04:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 252
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by umataro42 View Post
Unfortunately, that won't be a definite test because the PayPass terminal might not be working properly at whatever location you try it. I've had it not work a 2 different McDonald's locations, but then it worked at a 3rd McDonald's and a 7-11. This was using an apk.

After using the browser market trick to get the official version, I was able to use it at a gift shop in an airport, so it still worked.

More recently, it failed at a CVS, but this was after I had done a factory reset. I reset Google Wallet first so it wouldn't break, but I haven't had a chance to try using it at a place I know it works.

If you're on 4.0.4, you should be able to use the browser trick to get the official market version.
Everything I read said the market trick was fixed a while ago and now brings you to the page with no install button.
Trel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Pedro, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 286
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus (Verizon) Nexus 7 (8GB, WiFi) Motorola Droid (retired / pmp)
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 58
Thanked 61 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trel View Post
Everything I read said the market trick was fixed a while ago and now brings you to the page with no install button.
I had that happen too, when I was still on 4.0.2.
But after the update to 4.0.4, I was able to download it off the browser on my phone. I forgot to mention, just do the whole download from the browser, instead of switching to Market at any point. That was how it worked for me anyway.
umataro42 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2012, 05:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 252
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by umataro42 View Post
I had that happen too, when I was still on 4.0.2.
But after the update to 4.0.4, I was able to download it off the browser on my phone. I forgot to mention, just do the whole download from the browser, instead of switching to Market at any point. That was how it worked for me anyway.
On the browser, it just tells me none of my devices are compatible. How are you getting it from there?

Additionally if this is the apk to sideload, it doesn't install: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1365360
Trel is offline  
Last edited by Trel; June 16th, 2012 at 05:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 07:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 252
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default

(Is there a different source for the apk so I can try sideloading it?)
Trel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 09:53 AM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
jaydotelloh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 362
 
Device(s): Current: Droid MAXX - Stock Rooted Asus TF300T - Rooted and ROM'd Nook Color - Rooted w/CM7 P
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 242
Thanked 431 Times in 195 Posts
Default Check if NFC is working?

So I was playing around with my Gnex trying to get it to read my work I'd badge which uses RFID to open doors. I couldn't get it to read. So I looks for apps made to read credit cards and try my credit with pay pass. Still no dice.

I have not used NFC or beam on it so I don't even know if my NFC works. So, is there any way to check it? Is it possible to have a defective NFC chip and I never even knew it (had it since day one). Any thoughts would be nice.
jaydotelloh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 11:38 AM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
joesixpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northeast OH
Gender: Male
Posts: 325
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4 Stock and Rooted (no update for me!), Galaxy Nexus (retired), Nexus 7 tablet
Carrier: Big Red Wireless

Thanks: 69
Thanked 80 Times in 55 Posts
Default

Download Taginfo from NXP Semiconductors and open it. It will tell you if your NFC is working if the app continues to run. Then try scanning a card with a chip in it (a Chase card worked on mine). Should pick it up and display the relevant card info. This may not be foolproof but was enough to convince me that mine was working.
joesixpack is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 11:50 AM   #18 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
AntimonyER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 13,546
 
Device(s): Droid DNA, Nexus 7 16GB
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 5,016
Thanked 9,309 Times in 4,999 Posts
Default

I merged this with another thread on the same subject, thanks for understanding.
__________________
Site Rules & Guidelines
Got some help? Hit Thanks!
See something you like? Hit Like!
See something you hate? Hit Report!
AntimonyER is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 05:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
jaydotelloh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 362
 
Device(s): Current: Droid MAXX - Stock Rooted Asus TF300T - Rooted and ROM'd Nook Color - Rooted w/CM7 P
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 242
Thanked 431 Times in 195 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntimonyER View Post
I merged this with another thread on the same subject, thanks for understanding.
Thanks! Was at work on the phone app and didn't do a search or anything.
jaydotelloh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Galaxy Nexus
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Galaxy Nexus is the third official phone contracted by Google and the first phone to come with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. Specs include a 1.2GHz dual-core processor, 1GB of RAM, 16/32GB of internal storage, a 4.65 inch 720p HD Super AMOLED... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.