Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 26th, 2012, 11:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 18
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Question Can anyone explain my GNex battery issues?

I use the extended battery, which used to get me through the day easily. But lately, this is what my battery looks like after only 6:45 of use: Photo Album - Imgur

Can anyone explain why my battery is dying so rapidly? The screen wasn't on all that much, and when it was, I have my background and many of my apps set to use a black background so as to use as little pixel power as possible. Still, the screen claims to be the main culprit.

Is it possible that I have a defective battery, (or worse) a defective device altogether? Is anyone else having battery issues that are THIS bad?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

-TB-

apologetickid is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 27th, 2012, 12:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dex
Member
 
Dex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 424
 
Device(s): HTC 8X
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 199
Thanked 54 Times in 40 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Dex Send a message via MSN to Dex Send a message via Yahoo to Dex Send a message via Skype™ to Dex
Default

You phone was awake. A lot.

I can take my phone to work with me (I work 10-12 hour shifts) and I might pick it up 5-10 times a day to check for missed calls or texts. I might send check Google Currents (which I wish was about 1000 times better than it is now) or some feeds during the day, but for the most part it stays in my pocket or on my desk. I can easily make it through my entire shift and have battery left.

I worked a shorter shift today, thankfully (only 8 hours) and just got home and this is what my battery looked like: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-JEkfap_1zDE/UBIqtIkzG5I/AAAAAAAACZI/dCBjMNKjhW8/s720/Screenshot_2012-07-27-00-43-52.png

Sure, I didn't do a whole lot with it. I made 3 phone calls, that probably didn't total more than 15 minutes. I sent some texts, sent some messages on Steam, checked out Google Currents (pretty neat article about someone making an AR-15 with a 3D printer) and that's really it. Sure, I didn't do a whole lot with it but I also have it syncing by itself, with the GPS on and the screen set to auto-brightness. I'd say 15% in 9 hours isn't too bad.

I think it is also important for me to include that I get horrible reception at work and have to connect to the WiFi that is two businesses over to save some of my battery life. The WiFi, like my reception goes in and out though. Reinforced coolers/freezers and brick walls don't seem to do well for my signal. =X
__________________
- The ship of failure floats on a sea of excuses -


[ Windows Phone 8X by hTC ]

Dex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 12:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 18
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
You phone was awake. A lot.

I can take my phone to work with me (I work 10-12 hour shifts) and I might pick it up 5-10 times a day to check for missed calls or texts. I might send check Google Currents (which I wish was about 1000 times better than it is now) or some feeds during the day, but for the most part it stays in my pocket or on my desk. I can easily make it through my entire shift and have battery left.

I worked a shorter shift today, thankfully (only 8 hours) and just got home and this is what my battery looked like: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-JEkfap_1zDE/UBIqtIkzG5I/AAAAAAAACZI/dCBjMNKjhW8/s720/Screenshot_2012-07-27-00-43-52.png

Sure, I didn't do a whole lot with it. I made 3 phone calls, that probably didn't total more than 15 minutes. I sent some texts, sent some messages on Steam, checked out Google Currents (pretty neat article about someone making an AR-15 with a 3D printer) and that's really it. Sure, I didn't do a whole lot with it but I also have it syncing by itself, with the GPS on and the screen set to auto-brightness. I'd say 15% in 9 hours isn't too bad.

I think it is also important for me to include that I get horrible reception at work and have to connect to the WiFi that is two businesses over to save some of my battery life. The WiFi, like my reception goes in and out though. Reinforced coolers/freezers and brick walls don't seem to do well for my signal. =X
Wow. I am stunned by your battery life! I can't figure out how to make mine work like that. You said my phone was awake a lot. Do you have any tips on how to prevent it from doing that?

I really appreciate your help!
apologetickid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 08:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
rcrott1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: detroit
Posts: 730
 
Device(s): GNex, HTC Droid Incredible 4g LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 110
Thanked 87 Times in 71 Posts
ask if you want it.
Default

one thing that may help is check WHAT is being updated regularly/constantly... example.... facebook feed, twitter feed, stuff like that. set it to Manual update instead of CONSTANT...
rcrott1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 08:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: O-town Florida
Posts: 817
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7, Droid Razr Maxx HD (wife)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 150 Times in 117 Posts
stevenrothermel@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by apologetickid View Post
Wow. I am stunned by your battery life! I can't figure out how to make mine work like that. You said my phone was awake a lot. Do you have any tips on how to prevent it from doing that?

I really appreciate your help!
download better battery stats from XDA for free (or paid in the play store)
use your phone normally for a day, then open up BBS and check your partial wakelocks.

it should give you some apps that are keeping it awake

those long blue lines under "awake" should not be there (unless you were streaming pandora or something) in a perfect world, there shouldn't be any awake time when the screen is off.

bt BBS will help you nail down what is keeping it awake. it is usually an app that is misbehaving or one that you recently downloaded/updated that is not compatable with your phone version. remove the app and you will be golden.
__________________
Android Junkie
Turdbogls is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 08:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
Tim K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Phila, PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,627
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus LTE, Motorola Droid Razr, HP Touchpad, Nexus 7 (2013)
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 12
Thanked 466 Times in 320 Posts
Default

Looks like you were streaming music. I see mediaserver and grooveshark were running a lot. If you are streaming anything over 3g/4g that will use a lot of power. 4g more so. WiFi is much better for battery life if you have access to it. Always use Wifi whenever possible.

What your battery graph looks like ideally is that the phone is awake only when the screen is on. The less is running in the background the better your battery life. Obviously, things like checking email and getting texts and such are necessary, but you want to eliminate unnecessary background processes. If you choose to stream, you have to recognize the tradeoff. No way around that besides plugging in. I have a bunch of writeups linked in my signature, but certain apps will run a lot in the background. I disable any syncs that I don't need. I sync my contacts, calendar, browser, gmail and that's it. Facebook sync and google+ are known hogs. If you don't need constant Facebook and twitter updates (which really, who does?) turn off those syncs and just let the apps refresh when you open them.

Here's what my typical battery graph looks like. Notice how the "awake" and "screen on" lines are mostly in sync.

__________________
--
Tim


Battery Tips and other Android stuff
Tim K is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 11:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 18
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
Looks like you were streaming music. I see mediaserver and grooveshark were running a lot. If you are streaming anything over 3g/4g that will use a lot of power. 4g more so. WiFi is much better for battery life if you have access to it. Always use Wifi whenever possible.

What your battery graph looks like ideally is that the phone is awake only when the screen is on. The less is running in the background the better your battery life. Obviously, things like checking email and getting texts and such are necessary, but you want to eliminate unnecessary background processes. If you choose to stream, you have to recognize the tradeoff. No way around that besides plugging in. I have a bunch of writeups linked in my signature, but certain apps will run a lot in the background. I disable any syncs that I don't need. I sync my contacts, calendar, browser, gmail and that's it. Facebook sync and google+ are known hogs. If you don't need constant Facebook and twitter updates (which really, who does?) turn off those syncs and just let the apps refresh when you open them.

Here's what my typical battery graph looks like. Notice how the "awake" and "screen on" lines are mostly in sync.

This is helpful. Thanks for your time and input, I'll look into turning off some of my syncing. But yes, I was listening to music for part of the day. I'm going to experiment today by using only wifi or 3G. Now that I think about it, a lot of my problems have only come about since my area started receiving 4G. I wish there was a quick 4G toggle switch that worked with my 4.1 ROM.
apologetickid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 10:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Dex
Member
 
Dex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 424
 
Device(s): HTC 8X
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 199
Thanked 54 Times in 40 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Dex Send a message via MSN to Dex Send a message via Yahoo to Dex Send a message via Skype™ to Dex
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by apologetickid View Post
Wow. I am stunned by your battery life! I can't figure out how to make mine work like that. You said my phone was awake a lot. Do you have any tips on how to prevent it from doing that?

I really appreciate your help!
My biggest tip for battery life is NO FACEBOOK APP. Seriously, that thing destroys battery in more ways than one.

Try to avoid streaming HD videos (or anything that keeps the screen on) too much. Using the 4G radio, as awesome as it is, is a death knell for the battery as well. I know I'm just echoing what others have said, but I make my phone make it... a lot. I have a new screenshot for you today...

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-i0m2dd_LARc/UBVQlPw6bWI/AAAAAAAACZc/a-Jgqq19XP8/s720/Screenshot_2012-07-29-10-02-12.png

Good luck.

Edit: I would like to add, that after posting this I realized my sig says I'm running a 4.1.1 ROM, which I am no longer running. I've got back to AOKP, where I experience the BEST battery life.
Dex is offline  
Last edited by Dex; July 29th, 2012 at 10:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Galaxy Nexus
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Galaxy Nexus is the third official phone contracted by Google and the first phone to come with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. Specs include a 1.2GHz dual-core processor, 1GB of RAM, 16/32GB of internal storage, a 4.65 inch 720p HD Super AMOLED... Read More

Tags
battery, drained battery, galaxy nexus, nexus, problem


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.