Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 23rd, 2012, 01:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): SGS2
Carrier: Not Provided

Default how is the S Pen compared to using a stylus on an iPad?

i've seen some comments on the Verge review ("a revelation. It’s very much the difference between a fine-tip pencil and a gigantic permanent marker") but not detailed comparison about how, for example, it is to annotate PDFs using one of the PDF annotation apps on the iPad vs. the 10.1? has anyone tried annotating PDFs on both?

i'm a PhD student and looking at this as a possible solution for journal article reading and annotation.

thanks.

Last edited by smileman; September 23rd, 2012 at 03:55 PM.
sponsored links
Old September 23rd, 2012, 01:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileman View Post
i've seen some comments on the Verge review ("a revelation. It’s very much the difference between a fine-tip pencil and a gigantic permanent marker") but not detailed comparison about how, for example, it is to annotate PDFs using one of the PDF annotation apps on the iPad vs. the 10.1? has anyone tried annotating PDFs on both?

i'm a PhD student and looking at this as a possible solution for using for journal article annotation.

thanks.
I don't have my Note yet but played with one for about 1/2 an hr at Best Buy. Using the S-Pen feels like writing with a pen. Everything was smooth-- the pen glides across the screen. The tip is very small; not as small as an ink pen but close enough. You should be fine.

Sylus for the iPad or any tablet other than the note are huge pieces of rubber that drag across the screen. No where near the same fluidity provided by the S-Pen. Also, those stylus tip dry up, crack or tear completely off. I have a few Bamboo stylii I use and more times than not I'm putting them down and resorting to my finger.
Old September 23rd, 2012, 04:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): SGS2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandaLeX View Post
I don't have my Note yet but played with one for about 1/2 an hr at Best Buy. Using the S-Pen feels like writing with a pen. Everything was smooth-- the pen glides across the screen. The tip is very small; not as small as an ink pen but close enough. You should be fine.

Sylus for the iPad or any tablet other than the note are huge pieces of rubber that drag across the screen. No where near the same fluidity provided by the S-Pen. Also, those stylus tip dry up, crack or tear completely off. I have a few Bamboo stylii I use and more times than not I'm putting them down and resorting to my finger.
thanks.

i also just found this comparison from Trusted Reviews:

"Now for those who might say: “but the iPad has plenty of styli available for it, what makes this special?”, here’s the deal. With one exception, all the styli you can get for the iPad and every other capacitive tablet are only a minor improvement over using your finger. There’s only one capacitive stylus that gives a thin point, and it doesn’t offer pressure sensitivity or palm rejection.

With the S Pen - and other Wacom digitizers as found on the likes of the Samsung Series 7 Slate – you get 1,024 levels of pressure, which lets you draw weighted lines as you would with a real pencil. You get palm/finger rejection, which means you’ll rarely draw an accidental line with your hand. Basically, it’s akin to upgrading from using a chalk to an art pencil."

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

sounds like a pretty major difference.
Old September 23rd, 2012, 10:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Yes it is a pretty major difference. The Note 10.1 uses a Wacom digitizer which is the reason for so many levels of sensitivity. Once you start using the S-Pen your views on those capacitive stylii will definitely change.
Old September 23rd, 2012, 10:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): LG G2, GS3, GNOTE 10.1
Carrier: At&t

My cousin has a stylis for her ipad. Id say the s pen is alot smother and accurate. It feels like your really writing and drawing.
TABLETS OWNED: Galaxy Note 10.1
Old September 24th, 2012, 08:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandaLeX View Post

They did not have one with a 32gb so I just ordered it from amazon.com also ordered a 32gb micro card. It will be here Friday or maybe sooner I hope. The Galaxy Tab2 really opened my eyes to the Android tablets.
Old September 24th, 2012, 09:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): Verizon GS4, Verizon Note2, Galaxy Note 10.1, Sony NSZ-GS7
Carrier: Verizon

batradar73@gmail.com

I am coming from a Motorola XOOM to the Note 10.1 and the difference is simply amazing! I really did not like the stylus for the XOOM. With the Note 10.1 I can actually rest my hand on the screen while writing and it does not frerak out. I use it in class and at work to take notes in meetings. I could only get the 16GB version, but I transfered the 64GB card from my XOOM over, so I will be set for quite a while.
Old September 24th, 2012, 01:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 Galaxy SIII TMO Galaxy Note 10.1
Carrier: tmo

It's awesome! there are so many options, fine tip, pencil, marker, and so on it also comes with extra tips. It's just like writing on paper with the benefits of copy and paste, adding photos, articles, links...whatever you like! The reviews said the handwriting to text was bad but I found it worked great.
Old September 25th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy Tab2 47 View Post
They did not have one with a 32gb so I just ordered it from amazon.com also ordered a 32gb micro card. It will be here Friday or maybe sooner I hope. The Galaxy Tab2 really opened my eyes to the Android tablets.
You lost me. Are you saying your 32GB Note didn't come with the S-Pen?

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1