Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Like Tree19Likes
  • 1 Post By Putty
  • 1 Post By streetkilln
  • 2 Post By BillTan
  • 2 Post By hbryder
  • 3 Post By ScandaLeX
  • 2 Post By mortaro
  • 2 Post By Queen6
  • 2 Post By 5tevie
  • 1 Post By Jetmerritt
  • 1 Post By ckelly33
  • 2 Post By Bexy

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 24th, 2012, 09:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: OH--IO
Posts: 832
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 65
Thanked 57 Times in 44 Posts
Default Sold iPad and bought Note 10.1

I did all of this yesterday. I also had an iPhone 5 and returned for the S3. I am such a fan with the S3 that it was a must to sell the iPad and get the Note 10.1
The hardest thing to get adjusted to is the form factor. I always held my iPad vertically. I just like the length of webpages and such in that view. So far everything else is great and just like my phone.
hbryder likes this.

Advertisements
__________________
Devices: Samsung Galaxy S3
Galaxy Note 10.1
Putty is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 25th, 2012, 01:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 92
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Each to his own I guess, I would never sell my ipad or iphone though, the sound on the note 10.1 is apparently inferior to the ipad - tinny no bass etc so surprised you sold it in a way
androidtvfan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 427
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 37 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by androidtvfan View Post
Each to his own I guess, I would never sell my ipad or iphone though, the sound on the note 10.1 is apparently inferior to the ipad - tinny no bass etc so surprised you sold it in a way
I wonder if this is a real deal killer? As I don't use the speakers for music and bet few others do. Any way I guess you know what you like.
Galaxy Tab2 47 is offline  
Last edited by Galaxy Tab2 47; October 25th, 2012 at 02:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 01:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
streetkilln's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 566
 
Device(s): LG G2, GS3, GNOTE 10.1
Carrier: At&t

Thanks: 8
Thanked 38 Times in 33 Posts
Default

dont kno what u guys talking about. the speakers for an handle device is great.
the device it self is great. i love it
BillTan likes this.
__________________
Past Phones I Owned:
Samsung Infuse, GS2, GS3, LG G2
CURRENT PHONE: Lg G3
TABLETS OWNED: Galaxy Note 10.1, Toshiba Encore
streetkilln is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 02:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 23
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

"........the speakers for an handle device is great.
the device it self is great"

I agree with you.
streetkilln and sib0rg like this.
BillTan is offline  
Last edited by BillTan; October 26th, 2012 at 03:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BillTan For This Useful Post:
ilovethebeach (February 22nd, 2013)
Old October 26th, 2012, 04:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
streetkilln's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 566
 
Device(s): LG G2, GS3, GNOTE 10.1
Carrier: At&t

Thanks: 8
Thanked 38 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTan View Post
"........the speakers for an handle device is great.
the device it self is great"

I agree with you.
well they truly are . other devices i had . have had horrible speakers even if they quote stereo speakers.
streetkilln is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 01:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: OH--IO
Posts: 832
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 65
Thanked 57 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by androidtvfan View Post
Each to his own I guess, I would never sell my ipad or iphone though, the sound on the note 10.1 is apparently inferior to the ipad - tinny no bass etc so surprised you sold it in a way
This is not true. The sound is better to me. Two speakers right in your face. With my iPad, I always had to cup my hand behind the speaker to project the sound forward to me.
Also, I was a Apple fanboy all the way. Once I bought the S3, i cannot believe it took me so long to get one. The iPhone 5, when you had a 4s, there's no change there really. Speed was slower than my 4s because I had speed optimizer on it.

What I have found using the 10.1 for the last few days is I didn't realize how nice Facetime is. There isn't a 3rd party app that comes close in quality.
Putty is offline  
Last edited by Putty; October 26th, 2012 at 01:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 403
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 Galaxy SIII TMO Galaxy Note 10.1
Carrier: tmo

Thanks: 32
Thanked 63 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by androidtvfan View Post
Each to his own I guess, I would never sell my ipad or iphone though, the sound on the note 10.1 is apparently inferior to the ipad - tinny no bass etc so surprised you sold it in a way

To each his/her own is right. I wouldnt' trade my note for an ipad, wouldn't even have to think about it. My husband has the Ipad. Not even a contest IMHO
ScandaLeX and collett like this.
hbryder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 05:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 403
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 Galaxy SIII TMO Galaxy Note 10.1
Carrier: tmo

Thanks: 32
Thanked 63 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putty View Post
I did all of this yesterday. I also had an iPhone 5 and returned for the S3. I am such a fan with the S3 that it was a must to sell the iPad and get the Note 10.1
The hardest thing to get adjusted to is the form factor. I always held my iPad vertically. I just like the length of webpages and such in that view. So far everything else is great and just like my phone.

Good for you I hope you have a blast customizing everything to your liking. I found that one of my favorite features of both these devices is the usb otg. I love photography but my eye site isn't great, so when I'm doing a shoot and want to see how things look I just pop my cable in insert the card reader and there are all my pics! (ok there are a few more steps to get them loaded, but way easier than carrying around a laptop) Wifi direct between the devices is also great. I hope you find all kinds of useful things that you couldn't do before. Welcome to android. Ps I think you can still view web pages in portrait mode.
hbryder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2012, 08:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 92
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putty View Post
This is not true. The sound is better to me. Two speakers right in your face. With my iPad, I always had to cup my hand behind the speaker to project the sound forward to me.
Also, I was a Apple fanboy all the way. Once I bought the S3, i cannot believe it took me so long to get one. The iPhone 5, when you had a 4s, there's no change there really. Speed was slower than my 4s because I had speed optimizer on it.

What I have found using the 10.1 for the last few days is I didn't realize how nice Facetime is. There isn't a 3rd party app that comes close in quality.
Hmm but the sound has no depth to it is this right ? All treble and no bass ? Yes stereo is good, still waiting for an ipad with stereo speakers, very disappointed the latest ipad 4 still has only one, crazy omission I think
androidtvfan is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 29th, 2012, 02:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
Wasn't Me
 
ScandaLeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PhiLLy
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,803
 
Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Thanks: 1,160
Thanked 943 Times in 614 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putty View Post
I did all of this yesterday. I also had an iPhone 5 and returned for the S3. I am such a fan with the S3 that it was a must to sell the iPad and get the Note 10.1
The hardest thing to get adjusted to is the form factor. I always held my iPad vertically. I just like the length of webpages and such in that view. So far everything else is great and just like my phone.
Congrats to you!!!!
ScandaLeX is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 08:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 127
 
Device(s): Note 1, Note 10.1
Carrier: Telus

Thanks: 4
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Default

I'm seriously considering getting another tablet. Basically to replace my aging macbook. Mac is now over 6 years old. I basically just do web stuff anyways.

I had a first gen iPad, but sold it. It didn't really feel right. My wife has a second gen iPad, still not impressed, especially when we try to watch netflix in bed. I'm seriously considering a note 10.1. The primary reason is it the ONLY tablet I have seen with speakers where they should be. Set the iPad on the bed and the blanket muffles the speaker that is already pointing the wrong way.

I know the speakers aren't great for sound quality (as mentioned above), but that's not the point. At least they are starting in the right direction. For TV they would be fine.

I already have a 1 gen note and love it, I don't use the pen all the time, but could see myself using it more on a big screen.

Any feedback?
Jetmerritt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 10:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 403
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 Galaxy SIII TMO Galaxy Note 10.1
Carrier: tmo

Thanks: 32
Thanked 63 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmerritt View Post
I'm seriously considering getting another tablet. Basically to replace my aging macbook. Mac is now over 6 years old. I basically just do web stuff anyways.

I had a first gen iPad, but sold it. It didn't really feel right. My wife has a second gen iPad, still not impressed, especially when we try to watch netflix in bed. I'm seriously considering a note 10.1. The primary reason is it the ONLY tablet I have seen with speakers where they should be. Set the iPad on the bed and the blanket muffles the speaker that is already pointing the wrong way.

I know the speakers aren't great for sound quality (as mentioned above), but that's not the point. At least they are starting in the right direction. For TV they would be fine.

I already have a 1 gen note and love it, I don't use the pen all the time, but could see myself using it more on a big screen.



Any feedback?
Absolutely love mine! I don't find anything wrong with the sound especially for movies or videos. I played with one in best buy and had to have it.
hbryder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 11:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Wasn't Me
 
ScandaLeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PhiLLy
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,803
 
Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Thanks: 1,160
Thanked 943 Times in 614 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmerritt View Post
I'm seriously considering getting another tablet. Basically to replace my aging macbook. Mac is now over 6 years old. I basically just do web stuff anyways.

I had a first gen iPad, but sold it. It didn't really feel right. My wife has a second gen iPad, still not impressed, especially when we try to watch netflix in bed. I'm seriously considering a note 10.1. The primary reason is it the ONLY tablet I have seen with speakers where they should be. Set the iPad on the bed and the blanket muffles the speaker that is already pointing the wrong way.

I know the speakers aren't great for sound quality (as mentioned above), but that's not the point. At least they are starting in the right direction. For TV they would be fine.

I already have a 1 gen note and love it, I don't use the pen all the time, but could see myself using it more on a big screen.

Any feedback?
Also had 1st gen iPad; sold it. Also have a Macbook thats about 5-6 yrs old but replaced the hhd with ssd. Breathed new life into it. I don't think any tablet can fully replace a computer so I'm keeping my macbook til it dies on it's own.

Note 10.1 is phenomenal. You won't be disappointed.
ScandaLeX is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 07:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,671
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 150
Thanked 417 Times in 331 Posts
Default

I'm not an audiophile and think the speakers are nice. I have no complaints with it. Absolutely love working with it at home when my Note 5.3 is charging.
NeoGrandizer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2012, 11:47 AM   #16 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmerritt View Post
I'm seriously considering getting another tablet. Basically to replace my aging macbook. Mac is now over 6 years old. I basically just do web stuff anyways.

I had a first gen iPad, but sold it. It didn't really feel right. My wife has a second gen iPad, still not impressed, especially when we try to watch netflix in bed. I'm seriously considering a note 10.1. The primary reason is it the ONLY tablet I have seen with speakers where they should be. Set the iPad on the bed and the blanket muffles the speaker that is already pointing the wrong way.

I know the speakers aren't great for sound quality (as mentioned above), but that's not the point. At least they are starting in the right direction. For TV they would be fine.

I already have a 1 gen note and love it, I don't use the pen all the time, but could see myself using it more on a big screen.

Any feedback?

I just bought this Note 10.1 tablet in white and I am so addicted to it. Speakers are better than my friend's new ipad speakers. Screen is awesome. I use the S-pen all the time. I love the photoshop touch application which I use at least once every day. I do a lot of editing of photos (although I am not in that line of work at all) - it's just hobby. This tablet is for those creative bunch who like to do things beyond mere reading ebooks and watching netflix. The entire interface is fluid and no lag. Added a 64gb microsd card. Also has a nice TV/Cable box remote which shows you a preview (static - photos) of the movies/tv shows that are being aired on the cable and then you can switch channels to that show. Control volume/power up/down of the tv from it. And then the best feature is the organic or true multi-view multi-tasking in this tablet which I haven't seen in any other tablet. Okay, it's restricted to only a 5-7 apps now but hey those apps need that multi-view feature. If you need any details on any other features im me.

Cheers
mortaro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2012, 02:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 127
 
Device(s): Note 1, Note 10.1
Carrier: Telus

Thanks: 4
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I can't wait to get one and try stuff like SwiftKey on it. Might sound lame but it is one of my favorite apps on my note. I wish they had a desktop version.
Add being able to multi task in real life and I bet it's great. Thanks everybody.

I know it has had a few bad reviews for the build quality and screen resolution but everyone here seems to love it.
Jetmerritt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2012, 02:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,671
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 150
Thanked 417 Times in 331 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmerritt View Post
Thanks for all the positive feedback. I can't wait to get one and try stuff like SwiftKey on it. Might sound lame but it is one of my favorite apps on my note. I wish they had a desktop version.
Add being able to multi task in real life and I bet it's great. Thanks everybody.

I know it has had a few bad reviews for the build quality and screen resolution but everyone here seems to love it.
I think some don't like the all plastic feel. I know I personally don't like the feel of the plastic backing. It makes my hands moist and have to wipe it down on occasion. Not deal breaking as I just slapped it into a case and that's that. I also have squeeking but that's only when I apply a little more than normal pressure. In which case it alerts me that I shouldn't be doing that. LOL.
NeoGrandizer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 08:59 AM   #19 (permalink)
Wasn't Me
 
ScandaLeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PhiLLy
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,803
 
Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Thanks: 1,160
Thanked 943 Times in 614 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmerritt View Post
.....I know it has had a few bad reviews for the build quality and screen resolution but everyone here seems to love it.
Samsung has always gotten a bad wrap moreso because they love their plastic. I'm so sick of all the negative and unwarranted press. Sure Apple prefers aluminum but if you ask me, that aluminum serves as misdirection. One becomes so busy thinking of build quality and less about Apple not bringing anything truly innovative to the table.

Apple may have set the bar with the iPad.
Samsung raised it with the Note 2 &10.1.
Queen6, mortaro and Dvoraak like this.
ScandaLeX is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 01:43 PM   #20 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmerritt View Post
I know it has had a few bad reviews for the build quality and screen resolution but everyone here seems to love it.
Those few bad reviews are from people who look at apples and oranges and wonder why oranges don't exactly taste like apples?

build quality = looks perfect to me, I don't hear any squeaking of plastic. Of course I am not planning to sit on my tablet and use it at the same time so if some "wise" people are planning to use the tablet in this fashion they might hear squeaking. Moreover, you are going to dress up your tablet in a case - don't tell me you won't because you will Tell me how is your aluminum finish visible through a case? I hope you choose a leather case and not a ziplock plastic case for your tablet and I don't see any transparent leather on market.

screen resolution = Go to best buy and take a good look at this device. Everything looks clear on the screen. Okay now some people are comparing the pixel densities of the apples and oranges but hey, wait a minute, the note has a screen with a wacom digitizer which is first of it's kind in the tablet world - so we are seeing a lower pixel density on the Note but when people mention that Note has a lower pixel density they also need to add "however it has a Wacom digitizer which understands 1024 languages of a pressure sensitive stylus". If they don't mention this then stop reading their reviews because they are buying oranges from the grocery thinking it's an apple and vice versa.

To me screen looks stunning and it has been helping me with editing a lot of photos.
ScandaLeX and upd103 like this.
mortaro is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mortaro For This Useful Post:
hbryder (November 14th, 2012)
sponsored links
Old November 6th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #21 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 71
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Been through iPad 1st gen and my daughter has the 3rd gen iPad, and yes they are both good tablets, yet they just don't work for me. The 10.1 Note is a very different beast, it meets my work and multimedia needs. Speakers are fine for such a "thin" device of course the audio benefits considerably being forward facing and true stereo. Note 10.1 Bluetooth supports Apt-X Codec, so you are getting near wired fidelity over the air, something i now really look for in a mobile device.

Construction is a no issue being rigid, yet lightweight definitely not flimsy, no creaks or squeaks. Fit and finish typically high-end Samsung, which is very nice. Performance is stunning UI is super fluid and so far the 10.1 has run everything i have thrown at it with ease. The 1.4GHz Exynos Quad-Core Processor and 2Gb of RAM really make their presence known. The addition of multitasking even for a limited number of apps is more than welcome bringing a new dimension to tablet productivity, combined with the S pen nothing comes close, short of a full blown notebook.

Display is sharp and bright, touch is equally accurate, it may lack the ultra resolution of the iPad, however don't fooled that this is some Pixelated low-end poor performer it`s far from it, my own benchmark is my 15" Retina MacBook Pro. The Note 10.1 display is more than adequate given it also has a Wacom digitizer, with 1024 levels of sensitivity. the display is typically Samsung which in general equals extremely good as displays go.

Battery life is reasonable for my needs and i also appreciated that Samsung didn't overly load up the 10.1 with endless apps that you don't need or want. A 64Gb micro SD Card natively formatted to ExFat and the on board 16Gb of flash, takes care of storage, all in all a great package.

For me the 10.1 Note is the first of a new generation of tablets that can comfortably produce and consume. I can do far more, faster with the Note 10.1 than i ever could do with other tablets i have used.
ScandaLeX and Dvoraak like this.
Queen6 is offline  
Last edited by Queen6; November 11th, 2012 at 11:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2012, 07:04 AM   #22 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Arkansas U.S.
Gender: Male
Posts: 20
 
Device(s): SGNote 10.1 stock root, SGS3 i747 aokp milestone 1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

There are only 2 negatives I can name with the Note 10.1.

It doesn't support app2sd (neither does the Asus TF series). At all. Don't even bother looking for app2sd apps. They won't work. Zedomax has a custom ROM "High On Android - Flyin' High" that includes a memory hack that fools the Note into thinking external storage is internal and vice-versa.... but it created stability issues on mine so I don't use it. I'm sure more ROMs are on the way though that'll have that hack.

The screen resolution could be higher. My favorite live wallpaper (Ocean HD) looks noticeably better on an Asus TF700 with it's 1080 resolution. Don't misunderstand this though. It looks GREAT on the Note and it also runs at a higher frame rate on the Note so this isn't really a selling point for the Asus. The Note can handle all the extras in Ocean HD turned on.... the Asus not so much. Higher resolution is great but if the screen looks like it's on a fast strobe it kinda defeats the purpose. Still, I wish Samsung had pushed the resolution higher. I know the Note 10.1 has the power to pull it off.
Dvoraak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2012, 08:31 AM   #23 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Blackburn, Lancs. A small city in the North West of England.
Gender: Male
Posts: 46
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 10.1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I bought my Galaxy Note 10.1 about a week ago and immediately put my iPad 2 up for auction on eBay. My son thought I was mental but I think that was only because he wanted the iPad for himself. There are no bids on it yet but it still has a week to run and I am confident that I'll get a fair price for it.
Do I regret it?
No. The simple way to put it is this, everything that I used to do on the iPad I can do with the Galaxy Note. What's more, I can do it better. Take the camera stats for a start. I can also do things on the Note that I couldn't do on the iPad. Watching a movie is one example. Oh sure, I could fire up my Mac, pur an SD card in the back with a movie file on it and send that off to iTunes. I could then start the Note and somehow transport myself over to iTunes and download the movie and watch it.
Excellent. Long winded but easy enough.
Until you try it with no wi-fi.
Or, you could just stick a mini SD card into the slot on the Galaxy Note and watch the movie.

The main point to try to make is that the Galaxy Note 10.1 does everything that the iPad does and more besides. The problem is that it doesn't have the kudos (is that the right word?) of the iPad ..... but it's getting there.
ScandaLeX and jaysoze like this.
5tevie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
Jore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California
Posts: 352
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014)
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Default

I currently have the galaxy 10.1. I'm looking to upgrade black friday to either the Note 10.1 or Ipad 3, but leaning towards the Note.

Is the Note alot smoother and faster than the original 10.1?
Jore is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #25 (permalink)
Wasn't Me
 
ScandaLeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PhiLLy
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,803
 
Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Thanks: 1,160
Thanked 943 Times in 614 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jore View Post
I currently have the galaxy 10.1. I'm looking to upgrade black friday to either the Note 10.1 or Ipad 3, but leaning towards the Note.

Is the Note alot smoother and faster than the original 10.1?
Yes it is.
ScandaLeX is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 09:52 PM   #26 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bradley, Illinois
Posts: 37
 
Device(s): Samsung Captivate - AT&T
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I have the iPad 1 and 2 as well as the Note 10.1. The speakers are all sound well. The note has the two speakers front faceing and has a nice split signal. They all are good but I love the Notes just a bit better.
sdelliott31 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 08:35 PM   #27 (permalink)
Member
 
ozzzy3z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 105
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 49
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Default

I went to Best Buy on Saturday and spent 2 hours comparing tablets. I spent most of the time comparing the Note 10.1 to the Asus TF700. The Asus had a stunning screen, but lagged terribly with both pinch to zoom and internet scrolling.

The Note worked flawlessly. But the screen... Let me start off by saying I'm 46 and my eyes aren't what they used to be. The resoution when reading text is muddy and I found it very difficult on my eyes. When you zoom in on text, you see pixelated edges. I then walked over to the Apple display and looked at the iPad 4. Upon first looking at it I thought it was a dummy unit with a fake picture on the screen - the screen IS that good.

Please don't hate on this comment. I am an S3 owner and have posted on this site for a couple of years now. I dislike Apple's business practices and I am loyal to Android, but there is no comparison between the Note 10.1 and the iPad screen for reading text. The Note 10.1 isn't even remotely close.

Why or why would Samsung give a better display to Apple than their own product is beyond me. Due to the screen, and my old eyes, I passed on the Note. BTW, I'm aware of the Nexus 10 and its screen, but I really want a micro SD slot. My tablet search continues...
ozzzy3z is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Szadzik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,413
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4 Galaxy Note 10.1 Nexus 7 2013 LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 209
Thanked 729 Times in 616 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzzy3z View Post
I went to Best Buy on Saturday and spent 2 hours comparing tablets. I spent most of the time comparing the Note 10.1 to the Asus TF700. The Asus had a stunning screen, but lagged terribly with both pinch to zoom and internet scrolling.

The Note worked flawlessly. But the screen... Let me start off by saying I'm 46 and my eyes aren't what they used to be. The resoution when reading text is muddy and I found it very difficult on my eyes. When you zoom in on text, you see pixelated edges. I then walked over to the Apple display and looked at the iPad 4. Upon first looking at it I thought it was a dummy unit with a fake picture on the screen - the screen IS that good.

Please don't hate on this comment. I am an S3 owner and have posted on this site for a couple of years now. I dislike Apple's business practices and I am loyal to Android, but there is no comparison between the Note 10.1 and the iPad screen for reading text. The Note 10.1 isn't even remotely close.

Why or why would Samsung give a better display to Apple than their own product is beyond me. Due to the screen, and my old eyes, I passed on the Note. BTW, I'm aware of the Nexus 10 and its screen, but I really want a micro SD slot. My tablet search continues...
Strange. The higher the resolution, the smaller the text - that means with bad eyesight you should not prefer a higher res screen and it only looks better, but is not better for your poor eyesight and will make it more difficult to read anything.
__________________
OT MaxDB, CD1, CD5, J5, GD96, ME45, T68i, X6, CX65, A925, E398, MPx200, X6-2, OT715, D600E, W810, M600i, BB8100, W880, N95-2, P1i, Ignito, W880, X1, MS1, MS2, TP851, XT910, GTab 10.1, SGS3, SGS4, SGNote 10.1, Nexus 7 II
Szadzik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 10:24 PM   #29 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 127
 
Device(s): Note 1, Note 10.1
Carrier: Telus

Thanks: 4
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Default

I thought about the nexus 10 as well but I think the note would be better. I am not ready to buy a hi res android tablet yet as I don't think the app development has caught up yet. I had a iphone 4and went to a note and the ppi dropped and I don't have any problems with it.
I agree where hi res is implemented, stuff tends to get smaller. My 27" iMac is a perfect example. I bought a big screen hoping to make things easier, but I noticed most stuff got smaller than on my 1366x768 13" mac book.
Jetmerritt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 12:08 AM   #30 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 127
 
Device(s): Note 1, Note 10.1
Carrier: Telus

Thanks: 4
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Default

By the way I just want to thank everyone on this thread. I pulled the trigger and it is being shipped as we speak,

Can't wait.

Even my wife who is a die hard Apple junkie is curious about the note 10.1 and wants to try it. She also thinking of going for a note 2 for a phone. It's official, Apple is going downhill. They haven't innovated since jobs left, well - died. And now it is really starting to show. If my wife is considering bailing, they are toast. Speaking of apples in the previous post...
ScandaLeX likes this.
Jetmerritt is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 27th, 2012, 08:52 AM   #31 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 807
 
Device(s): Galaxy Tab 10.1 Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 133
Thanked 161 Times in 105 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmerritt View Post
By the way I just want to thank everyone on this thread. I pulled the trigger and it is being shipped as we speak,

Can't wait.

Even my wife who is a die hard Apple junkie is curious about the note 10.1 and wants to try it. She also thinking of going for a note 2 for a phone. It's official, Apple is going downhill. They haven't innovated since jobs left, well - died. And now it is really starting to show. If my wife is considering bailing, they are toast. Speaking of apples in the previous post...
I agree with everything you have posted. I love Apple products but innovation has left the building. All they seem to do is resize current products and sue competitors.

I think you will love the Note 10.1. Be patient though - there is a learning curve. Things don't function quite as smoothly and the commercials show. If you stick with it and take the time to learn, there is nothing like it.

My own impatience with learning it led me to go another route - I bought the Nexus 10 with plans to sell the Note 10.1. From the time I bought the Nexus to the time it arrive, something began to click for me and the Note. Now I have to sell my unopened Nexus 10 that I no longer want.
Queen6 likes this.
ckelly33 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 03:13 PM   #32 (permalink)
Member
 
Bexy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North East England
Gender: Female
Posts: 286
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, Nexus 7 2013
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Thanks: 101
Thanked 48 Times in 44 Posts
Default

I also sold my iPad and got a Note 10.1. It wasn't the plan, I planned on getting an iPad 4 but, after some discussion with my partner as to what I actually use the iPad for, it was decided I could do that on the Note - I mainly used Noteshelf on the iPad and S-Note is brilliant!
Szadzik and ScandaLeX like this.
__________________
Sony Ericsson Xperia News
Sony News at SonyBrands
Bexy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 11:42 AM   #33 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Blackburn, Lancs. A small city in the North West of England.
Gender: Male
Posts: 46
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 10.1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I'm curious. The guy that posted on this thread saying that he couldn't see the fonts clearly, has he considered trying glasses?
5tevie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #34 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 127
 
Device(s): Note 1, Note 10.1
Carrier: Telus

Thanks: 4
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Default

QUOTE=5tevie;5521038]I'm curious. The guy that posted on this thread saying that he couldn't see the fonts clearly, has he considered trying glasses?[/QUOTE]

Even then, doesn't text only render in the resolution that the font was created in? Meaning as you enlarge it, isn't it going to look the same on an ipad 4 as a Note 10.1? I can only imagine that the higher resolution screen would look better when the text is viewed smaller.

Someone school me on this?

And the text looks great on my 10.1.
Jet
Jetmerritt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #35 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Paradise
Posts: 581
 
Device(s): Evo
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 52 Times in 49 Posts
Default Re: Sold iPad and bought Note 10.1

SNote does the job well until you need to import pdf #2. That being a necessity for me, I am now using Lecture Notes on the 10.1 Note and Nite 2.
__________________
Sprint Evo in Paradise! High taxes also, higher next year.
Benjie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 02:38 PM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 427
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 37 Times in 33 Posts
Default

I am just starting to use the S Note program in my 10.1 note.
Galaxy Tab2 47 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 01:44 AM   #37 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Paradise
Posts: 581
 
Device(s): Evo
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 52 Times in 49 Posts
Default Re: Sold iPad and bought Note 10.1

Consider giving Lecture Notes a try.
Benjie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 01:51 AM   #38 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Beards's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chesterfield UK
Posts: 1,028
 
Device(s): Current: Sony Z1, iPad Air 128GB Recent: SGS4, SGS3, SGN 10.1, iPad4 64GB.
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 43
Thanked 375 Times in 210 Posts
Default

I have both an iPad 4 and a Note 10.1
The Note 10.1 feels so much nicer to hold ~ it's lighter and doesn't hurt the palm of your hands, unlike the iPad 4 ~ always cold to the touch, heavy and is horrendous at leaving a pain at the base of my thumbs when held for anything over a few minutes.

Next up try and import a file onto the iPad..... It's a bloody nightmare, where you have to rely on either iTunes or a convoluted and idiotic file transfer in using the likes of cloud based services and even then you are severely limited.....
There's no file management per se. You can't simply drop a photo, video, music, or whatever into a chosen directory as there is no such thing in iOS.
Instead you have to associate a file to an App and even then you can't see or share that App with another App.
Photos if imported using the Camera Connection Kit have to have a specific file name structure.... It has to be Eight characters long... no longer and no less otherwise you can not transfer a photo or video across to the iPad.
Bluetooth file transfer is a complete and total No No.... Again iOS does not allow Bluetooth to communicate from one machine to another machine to transfer a file as it is deemed a security issue.... Oh come on Apple.

I could go on and on about the pitfalls of the iPad such as no true multitasking showing multiple programs at the same time, no widgets on the home screen, no way to organize the home screen icons in any way other than drag and drop or a basic folder structure, no real notification apps, etc. etc..... but suffice to say it does have it's benefits.....

Where the iPad shines best is the amount of software available..... This is where Android and Samsung are letting down their Tablet devices. Until Google come up with a down and out plan to introduce more and better titles the iPad is always going to sell in higher numbers.
__________________
.........I don't always get your questions right.... but you'll certainly know I've tried.
P.S. Many thanks for the Thanks votes. Thanks received are converted into a charitable donation.
Beards is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 10:29 AM   #39 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 427
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 37 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beards View Post
I have both an iPad 4 and a Note 10.1
The Note 10.1 feels so much nicer to hold ~ it's lighter and doesn't hurt the palm of your hands, unlike the iPad 4 ~ always cold to the touch, heavy and is horrendous at leaving a pain at the base of my thumbs when held for anything over a few minutes.

Next up try and import a file onto the iPad..... It's a bloody nightmare, where you have to rely on either iTunes or a convoluted and idiotic file transfer in using the likes of cloud based services and even then you are severely limited.....
There's no file management per se. You can't simply drop a photo, video, music, or whatever into a chosen directory as there is no such thing in iOS.
Instead you have to associate a file to an App and even then you can't see or share that App with another App.
Photos if imported using the Camera Connection Kit have to have a specific file name structure.... It has to be Eight characters long... no longer and no less otherwise you can not transfer a photo or video across to the iPad.
Bluetooth file transfer is a complete and total No No.... Again iOS does not allow Bluetooth to communicate from one machine to another machine to transfer a file as it is deemed a security issue.... Oh come on Apple.

I could go on and on about the pitfalls of the iPad such as no true multitasking showing multiple programs at the same time, no widgets on the home screen, no way to organize the home screen icons in any way other than drag and drop or a basic folder structure, no real notification apps, etc. etc..... but suffice to say it does have it's benefits.....

Where the iPad shines best is the amount of software available..... This is where Android and Samsung are letting down their Tablet devices. Until Google come up with a down and out plan to introduce more and better titles the iPad is always going to sell in higher numbers.
Great post I also have a Galaxy 10.1 note and iPad 2&4 and as you have posted, there are many items you can do with the Galaxy very easy you cannot do easy on the iPads. Both have there own place and both have their own uses. If one wished to save money and have the best of both, I feel the Galaxy 10.1 note would be my choice. The iPads are quality tablets but are IMHO over priced, and Apple makes it tough to do many simple items without using their iTunes. Thats my thoughts.
Galaxy Tab2 47 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2013, 05:17 PM   #40 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I also sold my ipad for the note 10.1
I think the note 10.1 is a lot better than the ipad.
mizukage213 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.