Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By monicakm

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 3rd, 2013, 12:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 184
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note II, Galaxy Note 10.1
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 8
Thanked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Default Ipad or Note...that is the question

I know this has been asked a million times but here I go. I am going to buy either an Ipad 4 or the Note TODAY. I have played with both and like them both. I am leaning towards the Note but I am nervous that they will eventually stop supporting the tablet. Help please. I appreciate it

nickstanley is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 3rd, 2013, 12:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Szadzik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,413
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4 Galaxy Note 10.1 Nexus 7 2013 LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 208
Thanked 729 Times in 616 Posts
Default

Supportingvhw? You think ipad4 willbbe supported forever?
__________________
OT MaxDB, CD1, CD5, J5, GD96, ME45, T68i, X6, CX65, A925, E398, MPx200, X6-2, OT715, D600E, W810, M600i, BB8100, W880, N95-2, P1i, Ignito, W880, X1, MS1, MS2, TP851, XT910, GTab 10.1, SGS3, SGS4, SGNote 10.1, Nexus 7 II
Szadzik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 12:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
jzebrahockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: La Habra, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 337
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4 Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 173
Thanked 109 Times in 70 Posts
Default

Eventually they will stop supporting the tablet but I would go with what you personally like best. Do you have a need to use a stylist and the features that the Note offers or are you more of an Apple person who likes to be tied down more. I personally like Android better and would not buy an iPad. But that is my opinion. Again you need to get what you really want not what others tell you to get.
jzebrahockey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 12:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: London Baby!
Gender: Female
Posts: 176
 
Device(s): Motorola Razr Droid, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 20
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Default

By the time they stop supporting the Note tablet, you'll be wanting the next big thing anyway. At the moment i can't see anything outdoing it so it will be around and supported for a long time yet. After all, they have just updated it to Jellybean.
Phoenix1974 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 12:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 184
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note II, Galaxy Note 10.1
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 8
Thanked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix1974 View Post
By the time they stop supporting the Note tablet, you'll be wanting the next big thing anyway. At the moment i can't see anything outdoing it so it will be around and supported for a long time yet. After all, they have just updated it to Jellybean.
I have only owned one apple product in my life and it is a shuffle used only during runs and workouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzebrahockey View Post
Eventually they will stop supporting the tablet but I would go with what you personally like best. Do you have a need to use a stylist and the features that the Note offers or are you more of an Apple person who likes to be tied down more. I personally like Android better and would not buy an iPad. But that is my opinion. Again you need to get what you really want not what others tell you to get.
You may be right about this. I have switched to 5 different Droid Phones (thinking about making it 6). So I think you hit it right on the head with this one.

SO what about apps? I know when the Xoom came out, there was an extreme shortage of apps. Has this changed? Any way to see which apps are available for Android tabs?
nickstanley is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 12:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood
 
Rxpert83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MN
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,138
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Nexus 5
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 13,665
Thanked 11,804 Times in 6,801 Posts
Default

Why not the nexus 10 if you are worried about support?

That'll be supported for years to come
Rxpert83 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 01:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Szadzik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,413
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4 Galaxy Note 10.1 Nexus 7 2013 LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 208
Thanked 729 Times in 616 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickstanley View Post
SO what about apps? I know when the Xoom came out, there was an extreme shortage of apps. Has this changed? Any way to see which apps are available for Android tabs?
Android tablets have come a long way since the first Xoom and loads of apps have their tablet and phone versions or simply you can enable tablet UI on some. No problem with apps that I see right now and I have had Android tablets for 1.5 years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxpert83 View Post
Why not the nexus 10 if you are worried about support?

That'll be supported for years to come
It has nowhere near the functionality of the Note 10.1. Years to come, sounds awfully funny talking about electronics today and if you look at my signature, you will know why.
Szadzik is offline  
Last edited by ScandaLeX; January 6th, 2013 at 04:42 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 12:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickstanley View Post
I know this has been asked a million times but here I go. I am going to buy either an Ipad 4 or the Note TODAY. I have played with both and like them both. I am leaning towards the Note but I am nervous that they will eventually stop supporting the tablet. Help please. I appreciate it
I can't address the Ipad 4, but I have both an Ipad 2 and a Galaxy Note 10.1 and if I could only have one, it would be the Galaxy Note, no question, easy decision.

With the Galaxy, you don't have to communicate through itunes and that is a distinct advantage. The screen is better than the ipad 2 and the S-Pen is really nice.

I like the way Android operates better than IOS whatever.

The main attraction of the ipad to me is that there are indeed a lot of good apps that run on it but the same can be said for the Note. I've had my ipad for about a year and a half and have only had the Note for a short time, but I already like operating it better. I will keep both because some of the ipad apps are really nice (some RF engineering stuff that I use) but if I could only have one, it would be the Galaxy Note.
HighFrequency is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 01:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Beards's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chesterfield UK
Posts: 1,022
 
Device(s): Current: SGS4, SGS3, SGN 10.1, iPad4 64GB. Retired: SGN, SGS2, SGS, SGT7", Asus TF201, TF1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 43
Thanked 367 Times in 207 Posts
Default

You also have to look at the accessories available.
Being a singular device just like the iPhone the iPad is widely supported with accessories. Even Will-i-am is now developing hardware for the iPhone.
Only this week the Gadget Show had a hardware accessory for Artists to use on both drawing paper and an iPad. It's a great piece of kit and I so wish the developer would look at Android as well.
Audio buffs are catered for being able to add all manner of musical instruments, as is photographers, astronomers, etc etc.
In other words don't look simply at the Tablet itself. Look at what other hardwares you may wish to add.

This is the only reason I would consider an iPad over an Android Tablet.
__________________
.........I don't always get your questions right.... but you'll certainly know I've tried.
P.S. Many thanks for the Thanks votes. Thanks received are converted into a charitable donation.
Beards is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 04:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

If video playback is important - stay away from i anything TBH.

I watch loads of downloaded stuff in big file format for high quality playback. Most of the high res files are .mkv. (Around 1GB for a 42 minute programme.) Apple wont play that format. When I tried copying it to my wife's iPad2 (via iTunes) to see if it would work, it would not even transfer via iTunes - and gave no error message. Nothing.
As far as I can see, MX Player will play anything I can download. Quality of mkv on the Note is superb. And its simply a case of connecting to my laptop and "drag and drop" into the Note.

Note is cheaper than the iPad2 in any case as it is 318 from Tesco, Amazon etc.
doug14 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 4th, 2013, 09:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Depends what exactly you want to use it for, what importance you put on the screen display (ipad clearly better), whether the stylus is important to you, how much customization you plan to do etc.

I sold an ipad (1st edition admittedly) to buy my note...just for a change really. I like the note, and use the same apps that I used on the ipad...so much the same.
womble147 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 10:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
monicakm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 213
 
Device(s): Droid Razr Samsung GN 10.1 2014 Edition
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 7
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

I'm researching the iPad 4 and Note 10.1. Love the ipad for it's looks but the Android for customization. This is strictly a "toy" i've yet to be able to see a Note in person but saw that the resolution was half of the iPad's! That's disappointing. Does anyone know when the Note 10.1 will be upgraded? I even liked the iPad mini but wouldn't consider it till it's upgraded with retina display. My logical side says Galaxy Note! But for looks, iPad wins. Like I said, this will be a toy, not a need or for business. What to do!
monicakm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Szadzik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,413
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4 Galaxy Note 10.1 Nexus 7 2013 LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 208
Thanked 729 Times in 616 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monicakm View Post
I'm researching the iPad 4 and Note 10.1. Love the ipad for it's looks but the Android for customization. This is strictly a "toy" i've yet to be able to see a Note in person but saw that the resolution was half of the iPad's! That's disappointing. Does anyone know when the Note 10.1 will be upgraded? I even liked the iPad mini but wouldn't consider it till it's upgraded with retina display. My logical side says Galaxy Note! But for looks, iPad wins. Like I said, this will be a toy, not a need or for business. What to do!
Just decide whether you are buying the toy for playing with it or looking at it then

For me there was no choice. Even the awesome screen the iPad has does not save it. I have two guys in the offic with iPads and they love the screen ,butwhen i tcomes to usability of the device it is nowhere near my Note 10.1 and they admit it openly. The have to fiddle for hours with movies to get them onto their iPads and play in the application they want. No file system available to the user etc., etc.
Szadzik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 11:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 23
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I went from a iPad 2 and got a Note 10.1 I won't go back. You're really restricted even when jailbroken.
MIKES3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 12:00 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
monicakm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 213
 
Device(s): Droid Razr Samsung GN 10.1 2014 Edition
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 7
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Well I have to look at it to play with it <lol>
You guys are right. Love my Droid Razr and frankly
I don't like Apple's "attitude" but man, I love that display
and their graphics!
Does anyone know when Samsung will be releasing a new model?
monicakm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 12:12 AM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
monicakm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 213
 
Device(s): Droid Razr Samsung GN 10.1 2014 Edition
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 7
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

One other thing. I can't seem to find a WHITE Note 10.1/32GB/Wifi tab. Even looked on the Samsung website. Really? That might be a deal breaker
monicakm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 12:17 AM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Szadzik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,413
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4 Galaxy Note 10.1 Nexus 7 2013 LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 208
Thanked 729 Times in 616 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monicakm View Post
One other thing. I can't seem to find a WHITE Note 10.1/32GB/Wifi tab. Even looked on the Samsung website. Really? That might be a deal breaker
White tablet, interesting. Very manly

Did you look for a pink case for it too
Szadzik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 12:36 AM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
monicakm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 213
 
Device(s): Droid Razr Samsung GN 10.1 2014 Edition
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 7
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szadzik View Post
White tablet, interesting. Very manly

Did you look for a pink case for it too
How did you know?!
Now, does that look like a manly name or a manly car (avatar)?
The 16GB comes in white.
MIKES3 likes this.
monicakm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 01:11 AM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Szadzik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,413
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4 Galaxy Note 10.1 Nexus 7 2013 LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 208
Thanked 729 Times in 616 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monicakm View Post
How did you know?!
Now, does that look like a manly name or a manly car (avatar)?
The 16GB comes in white.
I would not pay the premium for 32GB anyway. uSD cards are so cheap nowadays, that it is cheaper to buy 16GB Note and add a large card than a 32GB Note.
Szadzik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 01:22 AM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Paradise
Posts: 493
 
Device(s): Evo
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 44 Times in 41 Posts
Default

I have never come close to filling a tablet up, so I went from a 32TV Acer A500 to a white Note 1 with no hesitation.
__________________
Sprint Evo in Paradise! High taxes also, higher next year.
Benjie is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 6th, 2013, 03:44 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
monicakm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 213
 
Device(s): Droid Razr Samsung GN 10.1 2014 Edition
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 7
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szadzik View Post
I would not pay the premium for 32GB anyway. uSD cards are so cheap nowadays, that it is cheaper to buy 16GB Note and add a large card than a 32GB Note.
Ohhhh, I never thought of that! Any drawbacks you can think of (reading from SD card vs onboard memory? Would it be a bit slower?
monicakm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 04:32 PM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Beards's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chesterfield UK
Posts: 1,022
 
Device(s): Current: SGS4, SGS3, SGN 10.1, iPad4 64GB. Retired: SGN, SGS2, SGS, SGT7", Asus TF201, TF1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 43
Thanked 367 Times in 207 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szadzik View Post
I would not pay the premium for 32GB anyway. uSD cards are so cheap nowadays, that it is cheaper to buy 16GB Note and add a large card than a 32GB Note.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monicakm View Post
Ohhhh, I never thought of that! Any drawbacks you can think of (reading from SD card vs onboard memory? Would it be a bit slower?
Very true a 16GB is cheaper in the long run when Micro SD card memory is added.....
However you have to take into consideration if you do choose the cheaper 16GB over a 32GB you may have issues later with storage.

16GB may sound a lot but after the OS is taken you are left with just over 12GB on a vanilla Note 10.1
Once you start adding Apps and their associated data you very soon start to realize the 32GB may have been a better choice.
As an example you start off with 12GB storage remaining and install one App that consumes a mere 50MB, nothing to worry about here. However, as soon as you then load the newly installed 50MB App it then needs to download an additional 1GB of data before you can use that App. You now have less than 11GB.
Do this several times on similar sized Apps and data and you then wish you had gone for the larger 32GB model.

Basically it's all about choice... I am not a games player as such but I do have quite a few programs that have gigantic data requirements. A 16GB model for me would be out of the question.

...and if anyone is thinking uninstall an App and make room for something else; well if you do that you have to bear in mind you clear away all your saved data so coming back to the App at a later date would not only mean re-downloading the large data files again but worse you would have to start from scratch.

Other option, root and move your Apps to SD.
Beards is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 04:39 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
monicakm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 213
 
Device(s): Droid Razr Samsung GN 10.1 2014 Edition
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 7
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

That's what I was wondering...could apps be loaded to and play from the SD card and would that make them slower. You need to root it first. Thanks. ANYone have ANY clue as to when Samsung will be releasing the next tab and what about the screen resolution? Is there a month they normally release these things? Or twice a year maybe?
monicakm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 04:44 PM   #24 (permalink)
Wasn't Me
 
ScandaLeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PhiLLy
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,771
 
Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Thanks: 1,147
Thanked 936 Times in 608 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickstanley View Post
I know this has been asked a million times but here I go. I am going to buy either an Ipad 4 or the Note TODAY. I have played with both and like them both. I am leaning towards the Note but I am nervous that they will eventually stop supporting the tablet. Help please. I appreciate it
Well since it was 3 days ago you said you wanted to buy it "today" what did you end up getting?
__________________
If you've been helped click
ScandaLeX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 04:48 PM   #25 (permalink)
Wasn't Me
 
ScandaLeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PhiLLy
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,771
 
Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Thanks: 1,147
Thanked 936 Times in 608 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monicakm View Post
That's what I was wondering...could apps be loaded to and play from the SD card and would that make them slower. You need to root it first. Thanks. ANYone have ANY clue as to when Samsung will be releasing the next tab and what about the screen resolution? Is there a month they normally release these things? Or twice a year maybe?
No one can answer this but stay tuned to CES (Consumer Electronic Show) which should be taking place now.

EDIT

The International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2013 begins on Tuesday, January 8
and ends on Friday, January 11
ScandaLeX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
Jore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California
Posts: 315
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beards View Post
Very true a 16GB is cheaper in the long run when Micro SD card memory is added.....
However you have to take into consideration if you do choose the cheaper 16GB over a 32GB you may have issues later with storage.

16GB may sound a lot but after the OS is taken you are left with just over 12GB on a vanilla Note 10.1
Once you start adding Apps and their associated data you very soon start to realize the 32GB may have been a better choice.
As an example you start off with 12GB storage remaining and install one App that consumes a mere 50MB, nothing to worry about here. However, as soon as you then load the newly installed 50MB App it then needs to download an additional 1GB of data before you can use that App. You now have less than 11GB.
Do this several times on similar sized Apps and data and you then wish you had gone for the larger 32GB model.

Basically it's all about choice... I am not a games player as such but I do have quite a few programs that have gigantic data requirements. A 16GB model for me would be out of the question.

...and if anyone is thinking uninstall an App and make room for something else; well if you do that you have to bear in mind you clear away all your saved data so coming back to the App at a later date would not only mean re-downloading the large data files again but worse you would have to start from scratch.

Other option, root and move your Apps to SD.
If you do a search in the XDA forums, there's a trick to use your SDcard for your apps instead of the internal storage.
Jore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Szadzik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,413
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4 Galaxy Note 10.1 Nexus 7 2013 LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 208
Thanked 729 Times in 616 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monicakm View Post
That's what I was wondering...could apps be loaded to and play from the SD card and would that make them slower. You need to root it first. Thanks. ANYone have ANY clue as to when Samsung will be releasing the next tab and what about the screen resolution? Is there a month they normally release these things? Or twice a year maybe?

Apps cannot be moved to SD, but when rooted data can.

I would expect Samsung to announce a new version fo the Note within the first half of this year and release it around July.
Szadzik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:04 AM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
monicakm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 213
 
Device(s): Droid Razr Samsung GN 10.1 2014 Edition
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 7
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

I guess I'll wait. All three of the devices I've been considering have issues that keep me from making a decision. I'll wait and see what is announced at CES.
Monica
monicakm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.