Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Szadzik

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Motorola Droid Razr, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Carrier: Comcast

Cry What did I do? It's really most sincerely DEAD! :(

I ordered my Note 10.1 from Amazon and it arrived just in time for Christmas.

Everything was SUPER until yesterday. In the a.m. I received a notification for a software update - which I had time to deal with then so I did (though, I am sorry to say, I am not sure exactly what the update was supposed to accomplish). I put the Note in my bag and went about my day.

I didn't use the tablet at all during the day. Then when I got home I turned it on (80% battery left - with strong WiFi signal) and tried to open Play Store. I received a message that there was no network connection. Then I tried Facebook - same message. I had no problems, however, using the browser and viewing pages on the internet. Other apps seemed to be working too. Then I noticed that the calendar had reset to December 31, 2012 @4:30pm (weird).

I'm still pretty new with the tablet and didn't know what else to do so I reset it to the factory settings. That seemed to get the calendar and Google Play back on track. I let the tablet "go to sleep" did some other stuff and returned to it in about an hour. When I turned it on again it had reverted to the same set of problems (Play, FB, Calendar). So I reset it again.

This time when the reset had completed and I was back to the "what language do you want to use" screen I was getting ready to press the English button when the screen went completely BLACK and that's it.

I cannot turn the tablet on or do anything with it. Now it's just a really expensive paperweight.

I have called Amazon and they are sending a replacement - I really liked it and want a Note 10.1 that works. I guess I'm just telling my story to see if anyone has any ideas about what happened. I understand what a software glitch can do, and this doesn't seem like that - it's dead. Stinky, rotten fish, dead.

Ugh.

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy S4 Galaxy Note 10.1 Nexus 7 2013 LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Is it WiFi only or 3G too? Did you not have Auto Time zone enabled?
OT MaxDB, CD1, CD5, J5, GD96, ME45, T68i, X6, CX65, A925, E398, MPx200, X6-2, OT715, D600E, W810, M600i, BB8100, W880, N95-2, P1i, Ignito, W880, X1, MS1, MS2, TP851, XT910, GTab 10.1, SGS3, SGS4, SGNote 10.1, Nexus 7 II
Old January 8th, 2013, 01:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

It was only WiFi enabled. And it had the auto update calendar thing going for it too prior to its untimely death. So weird. I am very suspicious that the "update" had something to do with the crash. But that really doesn't explain the failure to turn on.

Is it possible I just got a "lemon"? Boo.
Old January 8th, 2013, 01:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998teeth View Post
It was only WiFi enabled. And it had the auto update calendar thing going for it too prior to its untimely death. So weird. I am very suspicious that the "update" had something to do with the crash. But that really doesn't explain the failure to turn on.

Is it possible I just got a "lemon"? Boo.
Anything is possible.

I hoep you get your replacement soon.
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s):

really expensive paperweight

Same here OP, our first purchase became brick-dead after a few days and needed replacement. Crossing everything

Lovely kit though, really enjoying it
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Things lke that happen to all kinds of equipment, unfortunately.

Fortunately, there is always warranty and replacement.
1998teeth likes this.
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Notsure

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanCaerleon View Post
really expensive paperweight

Same here OP, our first purchase became brick-dead after a few days and needed replacement. Crossing everything

Lovely kit though, really enjoying it

So no problems with your replacement Note??? (I hope). Have you had the second one for a while?

Looking for reassurance that this whole thing is a fluke and not representative of some faulty product. I REALLY want the Note to work out.
Old January 8th, 2013, 01:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998teeth View Post
I ordered my Note 10.1 from Amazon and it arrived just in time for Christmas.

Everything was SUPER until yesterday. In the a.m. I received a notification for a software update - which I had time to deal with then so I did (though, I am sorry to say, I am not sure exactly what the update was supposed to accomplish). I put the Note in my bag and went about my day.

I didn't use the tablet at all during the day. Then when I got home I turned it on (80% battery left - with strong WiFi signal) and tried to open Play Store. I received a message that there was no network connection. Then I tried Facebook - same message. I had no problems, however, using the browser and viewing pages on the internet. Other apps seemed to be working too. Then I noticed that the calendar had reset to December 31, 2012 @4:30pm (weird).

I'm still pretty new with the tablet and didn't know what else to do so I reset it to the factory settings. That seemed to get the calendar and Google Play back on track. I let the tablet "go to sleep" did some other stuff and returned to it in about an hour. When I turned it on again it had reverted to the same set of problems (Play, FB, Calendar). So I reset it again.

This time when the reset had completed and I was back to the "what language do you want to use" screen I was getting ready to press the English button when the screen went completely BLACK and that's it.

I cannot turn the tablet on or do anything with it. Now it's just a really expensive paperweight.

I have called Amazon and they are sending a replacement - I really liked it and want a Note 10.1 that works. I guess I'm just telling my story to see if anyone has any ideas about what happened. I understand what a software glitch can do, and this doesn't seem like that - it's dead. Stinky, rotten fish, dead.

Ugh.
This obviously shouldn't have happened but I'm wondering if you might not have let the download fully complete before powering off? I noticed that it took quite a while, then went through a power off and restore process, during which I thought it had finished but then it started again.

Definitely still not your fault but could you perhaps tell us exactly what you did during the download process - it might just help others out who are yet to do that.

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1