Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 13ilgal
  • 1 Post By davidfarquhar

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 17th, 2013, 01:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default How do you back up your S Note notebooks

Preferably automatically, in the background, without using Kies.

Any suggestions or feedback welcome.

Thanks!

sponsored links
Old February 17th, 2013, 01:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Evo

Default Re: How do you back up your S Note notebooks

Google and Samsung.
The Following User Says Thank You to Benjie For This Useful Post:
13ilgal (February 17th, 2013)
Old February 17th, 2013, 05:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Haha. Duh. That was too easy. Sometimes I overlook the obvious. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjie View Post
Google and Samsung.
Old February 21st, 2013, 05:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s):

I too would like to back up my notes, and avoid using Kies, but I don't understand this answer. What do you mean 'Google and Samsung'?
Old February 21st, 2013, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElviraKate View Post
I too would like to back up my notes, and avoid using Kies, but I don't understand this answer. What do you mean 'Google and Samsung'?
In the Notes app, click Options (the three stacked lines in upper right corner) and choose Sync.

You will be asked where you want to sync. I chose Google, and the Note then backed up a copy of my Notes (the .snb files) to the Google Drive associated with my account.
Caveman419 likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 13ilgal For This Useful Post:
Caveman419 (February 21st, 2013), Szadzik (February 21st, 2013)
Old February 21st, 2013, 12:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s):

Within s-notes there is a Sync option which let's you backup to Google Drive or Evernote. You can backup one or all notes.

Its a fairly basic sync in the sense that it just does a straight file and folder comparison. So if you move a file on your s-note but not on google drive it will then sync each file to the other device so you end up with two copies. So you need to replicate any moves or renames on both s-notes and your backup location.

I also connect my Note to my Windows laptop each week and copy the s-notes and documents folders to my laptop. This then backs up automatically to our work servers

I also have the backup settings configured to backup to google and samsung but I don't know if that backs up documents or just setting
Caveman419 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to davidfarquhar For This Useful Post:
bcswimbtx (August 26th, 2013)
Old February 21st, 2013, 12:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s):

Within s-notes there is a Sync option which let's you backup to Google Drive or Evernote. You can backup one or all notes.

Its a fairly basic sync in the sense that it just does a straight file and folder comparison. So if you move a file on your s-note but not on google drive it will then sync each file to the other device so you end up with two copies. So you need to replicate any moves or renames on both s-notes and your backup location.

I also connect my Note to my Windows laptop each week and copy the s-notes and documents folders to my laptop. This then backs up automatically to our work servers

I also have the backup settings configured to backup to google and samsung but I don't know if that backs up documents or just settings
Old February 21st, 2013, 01:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Verizon GS4, Verizon Note2, Galaxy Note 10.1, Sony NSZ-GS7
Carrier: Verizon

batradar73@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13ilgal View Post
In the Notes app, click Options (the three stacked lines in upper right corner) and choose Sync.

You will be asked where you want to sync. I chose Google, and the Note then backed up a copy of my Notes (the .snb files) to the Google Drive associated with my account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfarquhar View Post

I also have the backup settings configured to backup to google and samsung but I don't know if that backs up documents or just setting
Great info!! I am so blond sometimes.

Retired:
4G Motorola XOOM - - - Moto Droid X (handed over to son) - - - OG Droid
Old February 22nd, 2013, 01:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): Evo

Default Re: How do you back up your S Note notebooks

Documents only.
Old August 26th, 2013, 03:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s):

Thanks! And, I really need to back up my notes to the micro sd card... is that possible? Can you explain how to do that?
sponsored links
Old August 26th, 2013, 03:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s):

Thanks. That's helpful but I really need to avoid the cloud and back up S Notes directly to the micro sd card... I need to be able to work with (at least review) the notes on my laptop too. Can you explain how to back and transfer the notes into the lap top (with micro sd card and/or without) I appreciate it.
Old August 27th, 2013, 04:16 AM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s):

The files are stored in the S Note folder on the tablet. You should be able to use the files application to copy this folder to the micro SD card.

You can also connect the Note to your laptop and copy that folder to your laptop, but they won't be readable on the laptop. The best option is to export an S-Note as PDF. This goes into the S Note Exports folder on the tablet, and can then be copied over to your laptop and viewed there

My semi regular backup routine is to export any completed S Notes as PDFs. Then occasionally copy these folders to my laptop - Documents, S Note, S Note Export and ezPDFReader (separate application). Once they are on the laptop they'll be picked up by my company's normal backup processes.

I also have a separate directory on the laptop for the PDF copies of my work S-Notes - the export routine keeps multiple versions in the S Note Export folder and I only want one final copy to review on the laptop
The Following User Says Thank You to davidfarquhar For This Useful Post:
bcswimbtx (September 1st, 2013)
Old August 31st, 2013, 02:24 AM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 10.1 Android 4.1.1

I know you want to avoid the cloud but I will share this method another forum member told me. I use dropbox instead of google drive (actually it still goes to google for belt & braces backup) . Then I use an app called dropsync which not only backs up to dropbox but adds lots more control inluding auto-sync to other devices as soon as changes are made.

So my 10.1 note has selected folders auto- sync'd to my laptop, note2 phone and dropbox.

I found the normal sync options described above a bit restrictive and not entirely clear how they worked. After I lost a load of work I started using dropsync. I still sometimes get conflicted copies but it keeps both so I can sort it out.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisENote For This Useful Post:
bcswimbtx (September 1st, 2013)
Old September 1st, 2013, 01:05 PM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s):

Thanks David. I want to do exactly what you are doing but I haven't sorted out how yet. I am having trouble copying into the extSdcard and; I can't figure out how to connect my Galaxy tab 10.1 to the computer.

I am poking around in "my files" The tablet sees the extSdCard and it sees notes in S Notes, I select the notes and my options are to share or to copy. If I copy it puts the copy into the S Notes folder ...

Do you connect the tablet to your laptop wirelessly? Through blue tooth... ? Is there any way to use a usb converter?

I am searching accessories for a docking station but haven found one for the Galaxy Note 10.1, nor can I find a 10 pin to usb converter.
Old September 1st, 2013, 01:12 PM   #15 (permalink)

Device(s):

Thanks Chris... It seems that I have synced to Samsung account (SAFE ??) I'm not sure but there is a little icon that seems to be trying to reassure me that my notes have been saved to the cloud... I don't want them there and I don't know (yet) how to find them there :-( I think I have also save some of them to dropbox... also, don't want to be in the cloud... and now I need to destroy them!

The goal: take all my s notes and get them in a file format that I can read on my laptop and have them stored (indefinitely) on an external hard drive.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 05:41 AM   #16 (permalink)

Device(s):

@bcswimbtx - mine is a Windows laptop so I just use the USB cable that came with the tablet. You need to have it unlocked for this to work

For Mac OS I have tried Airdrop and it worked OK, but my primary usage is at work with my work laptop which is windows

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1