Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 24th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Note taking software with "notebooks" as files.

Ok. Now I'm probably remembering OneNote on a PC wrong but I'm looking for software which will let me take notes like S-Note, EverNote, LectureNotes but which stores the notebooks as individual files, just as OneNote does. It's OK if the file actually holds one notebook, but I'm looking for file to be the focus of organizing my notes.

Suggestions?

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old February 24th, 2013, 04:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Evo

Default Re: Note taking software with "notebooks" as files.

Lecture Notes.
Old February 24th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjie View Post
Lecture Notes.
I was under the impression that Lecture Notes did not save their working files separately.
Note that I did not say I wanted some lame "export to PDF" option. I said save the notes
to a file.

To clarify for others:
so that if I am making notes from a class, say "Learning to Use Android 101". I have that file with my notes stored on it. Then take file and somehow transfer to another Note with the same program, be it by SD card, copying to a desktop partition then copying to other tablet, whatever. Be able to open that file and resume taking notes where I left off.
Last edited by MouseLuckyDog; February 24th, 2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old February 24th, 2013, 04:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s):

There is a OneNote app for Android in the Play store (if you have OneNote on your PC to match with it). Works pretty well. You can handwrite in the writing panel if you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseLuckyDog View Post
I was under the impression that Lecture Notes did not save their working files separately.
Note that I did not say I wanted some lame "export to PDF" option. I said save the notes
to a file.

To clarify for others:
so that if I am making notes from a class, say "Learning to Use Android 101". I have that file with my notes stored on it. Then take file and somehow transfer to another Note with the same program, be it by SD card, copying to a desktop partition then copying to other tablet, whatever. Be able to open that file and resume taking notes where I left off.

So that
Old February 24th, 2013, 07:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13ilgal View Post
There is a OneNote app for Android in the Play store (if you have OneNote on your PC to match with it). Works pretty well. You can handwrite in the writing panel if you like.
I know there is but I haven't had a chance to try it out because you need to register for Skydrive.

Does it work like the PC version using files for notebook repositories?

PS: From what I've seen of OneNote on the PC, if Microsoft ware to come out with an arm version with all the features of the PC version, then it would become the killer app for tablets and everyone would be clamouring to get a tablet with a pen. However I know they haven't done that yet.

Nevertheless, it doesn't matter to me how good an note taking app is. If it doesn't allow me to keep my notes in relocatable files, then it is useless.
Last edited by MouseLuckyDog; February 24th, 2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old February 25th, 2013, 09:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseLuckyDog View Post
Ok. Now I'm probably remembering OneNote on a PC wrong but I'm looking for software which will let me take notes like S-Note, EverNote, LectureNotes but which stores the notebooks as individual files, just as OneNote does. It's OK if the file actually holds one notebook, but I'm looking for file to be the focus of organizing my notes.

Suggestions?
Unfortunately, the Microsoft OneNote app for android is basically read only. It does not accept the pen but you can enter typewritten notes and it will sync with your desktop application as long as you have the SkyDrive account.

There is a another app called MobileNoter which works fine for me but there are a number of negative comments on the site. The sky Drive account is not necessary and you can synchronize OneNote notebooks through DropBox. It accepts handwriting and the synchronization is pretty good as long as you add the free application called DropSync.
Old February 25th, 2013, 12:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

The zip file route then is not cutting it, which is the method I use between the N2 and 10.1. I also use on occasion Microsoft One Note, but it seriously falls short. Evermore was unimpressive when I last used it.
Old February 25th, 2013, 12:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 10.1 Android 4.1.1

Wink

I am not sure if I am missing something, but why can't do what you say with S-note? I have many different notes of different types all saved as separate files stored in different places.

When I finish a note( I do a file per month for work meetings and general work notes) I export to pdf so I can view it on PC, I hope to get a note2 phone soon and save my notes in the googledrive then start / continue notes on my 10.1 or note2.

The only problem is s-note files are samsung proprietry, so if they could be saved in an editable pc format like onenote it would be great.

Sorry if I have missed the point, was is just being able to save notes as separate files? did you mean files as in Computer files or as in files/tabs in a workbook that get saved as a single computer file? I am not that conversant with onenote but thought it created a binder with tab per note.
Old February 25th, 2013, 01:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

One note creates a binder or folder and stores related notebooks within.

As for S-Notes, it dow not support importing if multiple pdf files, Lecture Notes does.
Old February 25th, 2013, 01:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 10.1 Android 4.1.1

Agreed that is something s-note cannot do, would be a great enhancement if they could do that, I find s-note so useful.
Almost tempted to try lecture notes but don't want to try and learn yet another app.
sponsored links

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1