Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

New Forums: Nexus Player | Nexus 9
test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 6th, 2013, 04:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default continuous input

Has anyone tried using the keyboard with the "Continuous Input" option turned on? If you've not seen it before this is where the keyboard is shown and you just draw around the keyboard from one letter to another without lifting your own from the keyboard until you have drawn an entire word. You get to this in the settings for the Samsung keyboard.

It sounds a bit strange but it is actually really quick. You don't have to be that accurate with your lines just pretty close seems to be enough. It's much easier than the handwriting recognition as you generally don't make mistakes so there is less time spent correcting yourself.

I find it works really well with the floating keyboard (pinch close the keyboard to get the option to switch). This reduces the physical distance the poem had to draw the line over the screen, making it faster.

'As a test I will time how long it takes to enter this sentence'. 15 seconds with this option, and 19 seconds with the normal handwriting recognition, but I had two errors with handwriting that would need to be fixed if I was sending this on to someone else.

There is still a place for using the handwriting tool, it is better when talking to someone as you don't need as much eye contact with handwriting recognition. But for normal typing in emails etc this is super cool.

Did I mention this option remembers new words you type? Unlike the handwriting tool where you need to be very precise with what you type for unusual words or names.

Plus is just sort of fun scribbling all over the screen and seeing how well it works

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old March 6th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Glad it's working for you. Personally, I have never been able to get the hang of the swype-style keyboards. Must not be wired into my DNA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfarquhar View Post
Has anyone tried using the keyboard with the "Continuous Input" option turned on? If you've not seen it before this is where the keyboard is shown and you just draw around the keyboard from one letter to another without lifting your own from the keyboard until you have drawn an entire word. You get to this in the settings for the Samsung keyboard.

It sounds a bit strange but it is actually really quick. You don't have to be that accurate with your lines just pretty close seems to be enough. It's much easier than the handwriting recognition as you generally don't make mistakes so there is less time spent correcting yourself.

I find it works really well with the floating keyboard (pinch close the keyboard to get the option to switch). This reduces the physical distance the poem had to draw the line over the screen, making it faster.

'As a test I will time how long it takes to enter this sentence'. 15 seconds with this option, and 19 seconds with the normal handwriting recognition, but I had two errors with handwriting that would need to be fixed if I was sending this on to someone else.

There is still a place for using the handwriting tool, it is better when talking to someone as you don't need as much eye contact with handwriting recognition. But for normal typing in emails etc this is super cool.

Did I mention this option remembers new words you type? Unlike the handwriting tool where you need to be very precise with what you type for unusual words or names.

Plus is just sort of fun scribbling all over the screen and seeing how well it works

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1