Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By snuggles
  • 2 Post By twospirits
  • 1 Post By vincentallen2
  • 1 Post By Sandroidfan
  • 1 Post By Atma

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 2nd, 2012, 10:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): LG Nexus 4
Carrier: Straight Talk

Default SG Note II - Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile

If it was to come out on 4 different phone carriers like the SGSIII.
Which phone carrier would you pick? Which one would be the cheapest out of them all?

sponsored links
Old September 2nd, 2012, 10:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 2, ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T (junk) now a paper weight! Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Carrier: Verizon

Verizon is to stupid to carry this phone. Why would ever want to stock a product most everybody wants???
Old September 3rd, 2012, 03:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuggles View Post
Verizon is to stupid to carry this phone. Why would ever want to stock a product most everybody wants???
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old September 3rd, 2012, 06:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Not Provided

I'd go with AT&T. Not only is it the only carrier that provides good service where I live, but it also has something less dramatic to fall back on if you don't have LTE. When I say "dramatic," I mean the switch from LTE to 3G. On AT&T, if you don't have LTE service, you can still get HSPA+.
Old September 4th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Sony Xperia Z Ultra (White), LG Nexus 5(White), LG Nexus 4 (Black), Pebble (white), Google CR-48
Carrier: T-Mobile (Prepaid)

I'm already on AT&T so I'll be staying there, unless some report on a contract change comes out like it did earlier this year for Sprint, then I'll GTFO.
Old September 5th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
AF's janitor

Device(s): currently using... Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Note II Sony NSZ-GS7 Google TV
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 4,635 Times in 1,730 Posts
twospirits411@gmail.com

Although AT7T isn't that bad, I'm a Sprint guy and will go back to them once the Note 2 goes on sale there.

I do find it odd that Verizon went for the Vu instead of with the Note 2.

TS
drexappeal and ScandaLeX like this.
Members, want to make this place better, just ask the staff. Remember, the "No' is always there, you are just looking for the "Yes". and please read the guidelines, otherwise you may end up in Banlandia.

Google + and twitter user.
Click below for image/list of devices...

Old September 5th, 2012, 12:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): Sony Xperia Z Ultra (White), LG Nexus 5(White), LG Nexus 4 (Black), Pebble (white), Google CR-48

Quote:
Originally Posted by twospirits View Post
Although AT7T isn't that bad, I'm a Sprint guy and will go back to them once the Note 2 goes on sale there.

TS
Sprint's 3G was a bit rough speed wise for me, though I had wimax at a lot of places I went/lived at the time. We don't know for sure that Verizon isn't getting the Note 2 though, just because they got the Vu. Hopefully they get both.
Old September 5th, 2012, 12:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by twospirits View Post

TS
I really don't think the Note 2 will be sold on Sprint or Verizon. If you take a look at the original Note, it was only sold on AT&T for a time, and it was only recently that T-Mobile started selling it - and then ditching it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunBringer View Post
Sprint's 3G was a bit rough speed wise for me, though I had wimax at a lot of places I went/lived at the time. We don't know for sure that Verizon isn't getting the Note 2 though, just because they got the Vu. Hopefully they get both.
It is said that AT&T technically has the faster data speeds than Verizon. I have seen Sprint speeds and they are very slow. AT&T might be slower at deploying LTE than Verizon is, but do keep in mind that if you don't have LTE on AT&T, chances are you might get HSPA+. Whereas if you don't get LTE on Verizon, you'll fall back to 3G.

Also, I could be wrong about this, but I don't think that Sprint's LTE and WiMax are compatible with each other, so I think if you lose/don't have LTE coverage, you will fall back to 3G instead of Wi-Max.
Last edited by dlee1001; September 5th, 2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old September 5th, 2012, 12:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlee1001 View Post
It is said that AT&T technically has the faster data speeds than Verizon. I have seen Sprint speeds and they are very slow. AT&T might be slower at deploying LTE than Verizon is, but do keep in mind that if you don't have LTE on AT&T, chances are you might get HSPA+. Whereas if you don't get LTE on Verizon, you'll fall back to 3G.

Also, I could be wrong about this, but I don't think that Sprint's LTE and WiMax are compatible with each other, so I think if you lose/don't have LTE coverage, you will fall back to 3G instead of Wi-Max.
Yeah I've heard that AT&T is faster, but Verizon has more coverage. It is nice to be able to fall back on hspa+ when LTE isn't rolled out. You're right about Sprint's 4G. I was hoping they'd put wimax radios in their first gen LTE devices so that you could use what's there, but they didn't. Ah well.
Old September 5th, 2012, 02:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
AF's janitor

Device(s): currently using... Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Note II Sony NSZ-GS7 Google TV

Thanked 4,635 Times in 1,730 Posts
twospirits411@gmail.com

Quote:
I really don't think the Note 2 will be sold on Sprint or Verizon. If you take a look at the original Note, it was only sold on AT&T for a time, and it was only recently that T-Mobile started selling it - and then ditching it.
I present to you Exhibit A.

This roadmap was taken by phonescoop when they did their artivce on How a Sprint phone is born. Once clearly sees a 5.5" phablet in the roadmap. The Note is the only 5.5" that i know of so BAM, Sprint is getting it no matter how many times they try to deny it.
Then again, they could decide to scrap the idea and not get it, but if they do, I think it would one big blunder on their part.

Quote:
Well here in NYC, I never had an issue with Wimax, fast speeds (at least fast enough for me not to notice a slowdown), 3G, well it depends on what part of town I'm in and seeing the LTE results form folks across the areas that have LTE, the results are in line or better than AT&T and Verizon. So I know, (at least in my part of town and those areas that I travel to) that Sprint is getting better.

Quote:
This is true on phones liek the Nexus, S3 etc that are only LTE and 3G, and those phones that are only Wimax and 3G like the EVO, but I have the TriFi hotspot which has all three, so i can easily connect any of my devices to it and be covered anywhere i go. Until I get LTE in my town which then I'll give up the TriFi or put it on the suspension plan.

But in keeping with the thread topic, if i didn't have or couldn't get the Note 2 on Sprint , then I would probably go to AT&T since I have the 1st Note with them.

TS
sponsored links
Old September 5th, 2012, 06:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy S5, Razr HD

If Sprint gets Note 2, I think chances are Verizon will too as they are CDMA/LTE carriers.

Then I wonder what processor/radio chipset it will have, Exynos/Samsung LTE or qualcomm S4 Pro/LTE. My bet is it will be Qualcomm S4 Pro chipset for Sprint, Verizon.
Old September 6th, 2012, 09:58 AM   #12 (permalink)

for those folks who don't/won't have an upgrade are you thinking about importing one instead of buying an American version?
Old September 6th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunBringer View Post
for those folks who don't/won't have an upgrade are you thinking about importing one instead of buying an American version?
Singing...... I have an upgrade....I have an upgrade.....

Circa Note 1, I seriously considered going to AT&T. The only thing that stopped me was not wanting ANOTHER bill. I also considered buying it and going prepaid but ditched that idea too.
Old September 6th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s):

The Galaxy Note II for Sprint has just been confirmed. And with QUAD CORES! Qbking also made a YouTube video about it. This is one of the rare occasions that it's good to be a Sprint customer =D

Source:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=31208303
twospirits likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to vincentallen2 For This Useful Post:
twospirits (September 7th, 2012)
Old September 8th, 2012, 11:05 AM   #15 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S2; Nexus 10
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanked 2,901 Times in 1,850 Posts

I hope to see it on T-Mobile so I can just pop my sim in it. Unless the Note II takes a micro sim. Then I'll have to do some surgery.
Old September 9th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #16 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 2,841 Times in 2,180 Posts

[Rumor] Tipster claims Galaxy Note 2 coming to Verizon

FYI
Old September 9th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #17 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandroidfan View Post
If Sprint gets Note 2, I think chances are Verizon will too as they are CDMA/LTE carriers.

Then I wonder what processor/radio chipset it will have, Exynos/Samsung LTE or qualcomm S4 Pro/LTE. My bet is it will be Qualcomm S4 Pro chipset for Sprint, Verizon.
Regardless it better have Qualcomm CDMA 3g or it could have trouble. Even if getting qualcomm 3g means going to the standard MSM8960 dualcore S4 on CDMA networks I think it would be worth it. S4 Pro would be killer though as that would give VZW people the best one. Not happy none the less with this latest news all might get Exynos, mostly due to possible crap cheap basebands that aren't qualcom. Would rather have Krait dual core than quad exynos in the end also anyhow.
Old September 10th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
Regardless it better have Qualcomm CDMA 3g or it could have trouble. Even if getting qualcomm 3g means going to the standard MSM8960 dualcore S4 on CDMA networks I think it would be worth it. S4 Pro would be killer though as that would give VZW people the best one. Not happy none the less with this latest news all might get Exynos, mostly due to possible crap cheap basebands that aren't qualcom. Would rather have Krait dual core than quad exynos in the end also anyhow.
A lot of folks wanted to see Exynos/LTE chipset in Sammy flagship device ever since SGS2 came last year. They finally did that in the Korean version of SGS3 LTE this year, but all North American versions are made with S4 chip to support all LTE bands in US. Now it seems they added all those bands to their radio modem chip in Note 2. But like you said, if it's Exynos/LTE I would be a bit wary of it for a while. Hopefully they did some homework to their radio after the CDMA Gnex reception fiasco. S4 Pro/Qualcomm LTE chipset would be safer bet until their chipset is proven.
vincentallen2 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandroidfan For This Useful Post:
vincentallen2 (September 10th, 2012)
Old September 10th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #19 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandroidfan View Post
A lot of folks wanted to see Exynos/LTE chipset in Sammy flagship device ever since SGS2 came last year. They finally did that in the Korean version of SGS3 LTE this year, but all North American versions are made with S4 chip to support all LTE bands in US. Now it seems they added all those bands to their radio modem chip in Note 2. But like you said, if it's Exynos/LTE I would be a bit wary of it for a while. Hopefully they did some homework to their radio after the CDMA Gnex reception fiasco. S4 Pro/Qualcomm LTE chipset would be safer bet until their chipset is proven.
And it's not just the Samsung LTE. That was actually not nearly as bad as the VIA Telecom CDMA 3G in the end. We know though that Qualcomm CDMA/LTE stuff is getting good reception and running at blazing speeds(even with less than optimal signals) based on stuff I have seen tested with those.

The Qualcomm MDM9615 probably wouldn't take much more effort to get working with the Exynos than it would to pair it with S4 Pro, but really I would just prefer S4 Pro Quad Krait over any quadcore A9 anything.

EDIT:
Interesting claim backing up the last aspect of this reply. Second post from top claims Exynos + MDM9615. That would be good enough I guess. I technically would prefer anything Krait though, even if dualcore. There are to many things we use our phones for that are better served by faster and more efficient per watt cores than more cores.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=31387736
Last edited by jasaero; September 10th, 2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Added info.
Old September 10th, 2012, 06:52 PM   #20 (permalink)

That's great if it's Qualcomm MDM9615 radio chip inside Note 2. Then it wouldn't matter if AP in Note 2 is quad Exynos or S4 pro. Still a single modem chip is handling everything on cell voice/data signals though it's sitting outside the AP.

Considering this is launching in every major US carrier, this seems to make sense as MDM9615 should have all LTE bands for US. Interestingly iPhone 5 is believed to be housing this radio chip as well.

AnandTech - Preparing for the iPhone Next: Rumors Analyzed
sponsored links
Old September 10th, 2012, 07:20 PM   #21 (permalink)

Device(s):

Yeah. I suspect it would have the S4 Pro also, but that trying to keep up supply for MSM8960 and now this MDM9615 Apple is demanding means S4 Pro will have enough supply issues that some stuff like this Note II will have to use other processors, even here in the USA.

Still would have preferred MSM8960 really if that's what's going on, but the "quadcore" might help it sell better I suppose??
Old September 29th, 2012, 06:20 AM   #22 (permalink)

I'm already a Tmo customer with a good $30 plan (100 minutes, 5gb data) and finally some good Note 2 news for T-Mobile.

The T-Mobile Note 2 has gone through the FCC with LTE. Now I can get excited. LTE for Tmo won't start rolling out until 2013, but I didn't want to get a phone that wasn't ready for it.

Time to order a sim cutter.
Old October 4th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #23 (permalink)

Device(s):

I have unlimited data on vzw so I'm staying until they kick my a$$ off for using 30-40gbs per month
Old October 4th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thechidz View Post
I have unlimited data on vzw so I'm staying until they kick my a$$ off for using 30-40gbs per month

Are you downloading the Library of Congress?
ScandaLeX likes this.
Old October 4th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #25 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thechidz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmazzz View Post
Are you downloading the Library of Congress?
My eyes always go wide when I read someone using this much data a month.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2