Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree23Likes

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 29th, 2012, 11:02 AM   #51 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

The multi-view looks like Samsung did some in-house modifications to allow it. And seeing this explains why 2GB would be more beneficial in this particular case and the multi-core CPU to be beneficial. Only provided if it's been coded properly to utilize it.

I'm curious if a user uses a 3rd party Launcher and removes TouchWiz; will they negate certain features on the Note II?

sponsored links
Old September 29th, 2012, 11:37 AM   #52 (permalink)

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoGrandizer View Post
I'm curious if a user uses a 3rd party Launcher and removes TouchWiz; will they negate certain features on the Note II?
I'm curious about this also. I always use 3rd party launchers because certain oem functions weren't important for me, but there are some functions on the note 2 that I wouldn't want to lose. I was about to download holo launcher cuz it was developed from xda peeps. I'm hoping the way they developed that launcher, maintains certain oem functions.
Old September 29th, 2012, 12:13 PM   #53 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy S5, Razr HD

I think those features in Note 2 would work with other launchers too. Using Nova or Apex in GS3 doesn't disable all its S-apps at all and it still has touchwiz style menus, settings everywhere. Launcher is only one part of Touchwiz, so replacing that with other launcher wouldn't affect other features.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandroidfan For This Useful Post:
drexappeal (September 29th, 2012)
Old September 29th, 2012, 01:55 PM   #54 (permalink)

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandroidfan View Post
I think those features in Note 2 would work with other launchers too. Using Nova or Apex in GS3 doesn't disable all its S-apps at all and it still has touchwiz style menus, settings everywhere. Launcher is only one part of Touchwiz, so replacing that with other launcher wouldn't affect other features.
Best news hearing this. It's too bad I can't test either launcher out right now, since I'm stuck on gingerbread.

Anybody using holo notice any limitations?
Old September 29th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #55 (permalink)

Okay, so I had to go to best buy to check on something, and decided to check out the note size when trying to hold the phone. So glad the note 2 is slightly smaller, cuz I couldn't hold the note 1 comfortably.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1348966749838.jpg (48.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1348966763621.jpg (44.8 KB, 39 views)
Old September 29th, 2012, 10:41 PM   #56 (permalink)
AF's janitor

Device(s): currently using... Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Note II Sony NSZ-GS7 Google TV

Thanked 4,634 Times in 1,729 Posts
twospirits411@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandroidfan View Post
I have teh Nova launcher on both my Note 5.3 and 10.1 and I can concur that the S-Pen apps still work fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
Okay, so I had to go to best buy to check on something, and decided to check out the note size when trying to hold the phone. So glad the note 2 is slightly smaller, cuz I couldn't hold the note 1 comfortably.
If you hold it like that then yeah it will feel a bit uncomfortable, but one gets used to holding it differently after a while.
Once can even get that Flygrip that allows you to really hold it without fearing it will fall from your hands and still reach the top right corner with one hand.

TS
Members, want to make this place better, just ask the staff. Remember, the "No' is always there, you are just looking for the "Yes". and please read the guidelines, otherwise you may end up in Banlandia.

Google + and twitter user.
Click below for image/list of devices...

Old September 30th, 2012, 12:53 AM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twospirits View Post
I have teh Nova launcher on both my Note 5.3 and 10.1 and I can concur that the S-Pen apps still work fine.

If you hold it like that then yeah it will feel a bit uncomfortable, but one gets used to holding it differently after a while.
Once can even get that Flygrip that allows you to really hold it without fearing it will fall from your hands and still reach the top right corner with one hand.

TS
Yeah, I always hold the phone like that when getting out of the car or when waiting on and expecting a call.

We'll see. I'm sure I'll figure out a way to feel comfortable.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 09:45 AM   #58 (permalink)

Device(s): iPhone 4, Galaxy Note 2 (soon)

Masta819, you're JUST like me in every aspect you described there, so I can really relate.

If it weren't for iPhone 5 release I wouldn't have had this craving to switch to a new phone. iP5 disappointed me so I'm not getting it but the craving stayed. Note 2 seemed like the best alternative as I wanted something that will outperform an iP5. S3 would be perfect sized but it's still rather old and I can't wait for S4 release, even though it's not that many months.

Smartphones have really changed my computing from sitting on a desktop computer to laying on the sofa or the bed tapping away with my phone, so that kinda justifies the Note 2's size, at least I hope so. Haven't seen one live yet but I briefly tried Note 1 and it was rather bulky. The store clerk was busy and the phone was screwed in the wall with a short cord so I couldn't fit it in my ňocket so I can't say for 100% if it's too big yet.

If it were for me alone I'd already driven some 30 miles to a bigger city and buy myself one (was released here yesterday) but missus doesn't like me switching phones this often so I need to prepare her for it first. It's not like my old phone isn't old enough already, it's an iPhone 4 I got when it was released. Really hoping Note 2 would last me longer than this, some three years or so.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 04:42 PM   #59 (permalink)

Device(s): Sony Xperia Z Ultra (White), LG Nexus 5(White), LG Nexus 4 (Black), Pebble (white), Google CR-48
Carrier: T-Mobile (Prepaid)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teophne View Post
Smartphones have really changed my computing from sitting on a desktop computer to laying on the sofa or the bed tapping away with my phone, so that kinda justifies the Note 2's size, at least I hope so.
I'm the same way. I still find myself on work computers and my laptop a lot, but I definitely lay around the house on the couch or in bed fiddling with my Note LTE. I like that it's big enough that I don't need another device, such as a tablet. I read comics on it, do all of my mobile music listening with it and hundreds of other things lol.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 05:13 PM   #60 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Quote:

TS
I took my Flygrips and attached them to the back of the phone case so I could switch out my cases. Originally the flygrip was on the actual phone and removing it is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I was afraid I was going to damage my phone from having to use a butter knife to pry the thing off.
sponsored links
Old October 3rd, 2012, 11:41 AM   #61 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:

TS
twospirits,

As you have the Note 10.1, can you confirm that the multi-window feature still works using another launcher as well as any other feature the Note 10.1 and 2 have in common that the original Note doesn't?

It would be interesting to know for those who plan on upgrading or getting the device.

TIA.
drexappeal likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NeoGrandizer For This Useful Post:
3vodroid (October 3rd, 2012), drexappeal (October 3rd, 2012)
Old October 3rd, 2012, 02:15 PM   #62 (permalink)
AF's janitor

Device(s): currently using... Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Note II Sony NSZ-GS7 Google TV

Thanked 4,634 Times in 1,729 Posts
twospirits411@gmail.com

I thought I mentioned it before, guess I didn't. But yeah the multiview mode works in Nova launcher which is what I have currently on the Note 10.1.
In fact everything works so far with Nova. I haven't tried it with other launchers but I believe it will work.

TS
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twospirits For This Useful Post:
drexappeal (October 3rd, 2012), NeoGrandizer (October 3rd, 2012)
Old October 3rd, 2012, 05:28 PM   #63 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus CDMA, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Quote:
I thought I mentioned it before, guess I didn't. But yeah the multiview mode works in Nova launcher which is what I have currently on the Note 10.1.
In fact everything works so far with Nova. I haven't tried it with other launchers but I believe it will work.

TS
I can double confirm I happen to be using Chameleon atm though. Changing the launcher will do absolutely nothing but change the way the homescreen looks. It isnt tied into the OS so it will not remove features.
twospirits likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Despyse For This Useful Post:
NeoGrandizer (October 3rd, 2012)
Old November 6th, 2012, 08:02 AM   #64 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note

Got my Samsung Galaxy note 2. Well, one feature that I am missing in note 2 that was available in S3 is voice command for camera.
You people have any updates ?
Old November 6th, 2012, 08:11 AM   #65 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeevk View Post
Got my Samsung Galaxy note 2. Well, one feature that I am missing in note 2 that was available in S3 is voice command for camera.
Camera - Setting (gear icon) - Take photo using voice

Old November 6th, 2012, 08:12 AM   #66 (permalink)

Device(s): 64GB Marble White Samsung Galaxy Note II

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeevk View Post
You don't have this setting 4th or 5th from the bottom of the setting of the camera?
Old November 6th, 2012, 08:16 AM   #67 (permalink)

Device(s): 64GB Marble White Samsung Galaxy Note II

I would absolutely wait for the Note 2. The Galaxy S3 feels outdated whenever I put them side by side and compare real life features (not just the spec sheet).
Last edited by Xyro; November 6th, 2012 at 10:26 AM.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2