Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Like Tree50Likes

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 28th, 2012, 11:29 PM   #101 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Verizon

Well, I did end up making it work, I took the bigger (standard richter) mount on the ebay swivel and cut the tabs off. Then, I took that vent clip adapter (in the above picture)from the car mount, and cut the vent holder bracket off of the back of that. I then epoxied that smaller richter bracket to the shaved down bigger swivel mount bracket and put it all together. Not the prettiest thing, but it works, so far. I'll get some pics of it tomorrow with my Verizon N2 in it finally!!!!!

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old November 29th, 2012, 02:20 AM   #102 (permalink)
AF Addict

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 2,840 Times in 1,920 Posts

Alrighty...here it is. Received the Note II specific docks from ebay today. After opening them up, I realized that there was a way to customize them along with the richter mount I purchased.

Just so you all can follow exactly what I either had before or purchased recently, here's what's needed in order to get the same/similar type of setup:

1) ProClip vehicle specific mount
Car & Vehicle Mounts*-*ProClip Car Mounts for Mobile Phones, Tablet, and Handheld Devices
- Depending on your vehicle, the purpose of the vehicle specific mount is just the "base" of the mount/dock that you'll be connecting it to. It's basically a piece that attaches to different areas of your car (varies based on whichever vehicle you own). These vehicle specific mounts do not require any drilling/screwing holes into your dash

2) Richter Pattern iGrip Swivel
iGrip / Herbert Richter (HR) Standard AMPS Pattern In-Dash Vehicle Swivel Mount | eBay

3) Note II specific car air vent mount
Car Air Vent Mount Holder Stand Kits For Samsung GALAXY NOTE 2 II N7100 | eBay

So, now that you know the parts, I can refer to the numbers to describe what I did. This was the process:

Right Side Mount
A) Mount #1 Purchased the mount that covers the vent because the vents actually keep the phone cool, when driving around, and also because it's the shortest distance for me to reach without having to stretch.
B) Mount #2 on Right side vent with #1. There are 4 screws that get screwed into #1
C) Mount #3 (Note II holder only) onto #2 mount once #2 mount is locked in w/ screw locking mechanism.

Driver's Side Mount
A) Mount #1 Had already been mounted previously for my Motorola Photon dock
B) Take #2 and unscrew the base that will connect to #1 from #2 richter mount portion.
C) Take #2 (base only), put it to the side, as you'll need it later. Take #2 (richter mount portion only) and put away, as it won't be needed.
D)Take #3 (Note II Holder) and put to the side for mounting later.
E) Take #3 (Entire vent mount) and remove/unscrew the swivel adjustment and locking mechnism extension w/ Richter mount.
F) Take #3 (Vent Connector only) and put it to the side, as you will no longer need it.
F) Take #3 (Swivel Adjustment, locking mechanism, & Richter Mount) and attach it to #2 (base only) using the screw that connected #3 (vent connector) to the #3 (swivel/lock/richter).
G) Take newly formed "extended" mount and screw into #1 using the 4 screws.
H) Lock in position/angle for mount and mount Note II holder.

Seems really complicated, but it really isn't at all. Pretty straight forward (took me a few minutes to figure out how to connect the extension with the base). In the end, I have a mount on the driver side that is pushed closer to where my hands would be on the steering wheel and the other mount a little further away. Here are some pics:

Passenger side mount

"Modified" Drivers side Mount and Base, prior to screwing into ProClip mount:

"Modified" Drivers side Mount connected to ProClip mount:

Final setup with "Modified" mount (Drivers side) and Regular iGrip mount (passenger side)

Once iBolt shows what they've come up with, I may be parting with one of these mounts, so I'll let you all know if I'll have either or both available.
ScandaLeX likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drexappeal For This Useful Post:
Caloy (November 29th, 2012), ScandaLeX (November 29th, 2012)
Old November 29th, 2012, 05:37 AM   #103 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II

Is there any word from Michael Pe? Thought he will have some news for us after thanks giving. :/
Old November 29th, 2012, 12:06 PM   #104 (permalink)
AF Addict

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caloy View Post
Is there any word from Michael Pe? Thought he will have some news for us after thanks giving. :/
Checked the XDA thread yesterday, but hadn't seen him post. Haven't checked since early evening yesterday though.
The Following User Says Thank You to drexappeal For This Useful Post:
Caloy (December 2nd, 2012)
Old November 29th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #105 (permalink)
AF Addict

Posted in XDA...it's not iBolt, but similar format to the iBolt dock that was made for the S3

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 II / N7100 Car Mount, Cradle, Stand, Holder, Charger

I'm hoping that this isn't what iBolt came up with also, otherwise I'll be sticking with my universal setup.
Caloy (December 1st, 2012)
Old November 29th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #106 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandaLeX View Post
I NEED THIS

Driving tonight using the Note 2 was HORRIBLE.....Horrible I tell you. Things are cool when you're a passenger but trying to do stuff behind the wheel is setting oneself up for an accident.

I positively loved the vehicle dock for my Motorola Photon; still have it. At this point, I prefer iBolt (watched the youtube vid) because aesthetically it's the coolest looking one I've seen. It has that "pop" factor that screams take my money please!
I say if you don't mind the metal disc on the back of a case, get the Tetra. I am BEYOND happy, and it's nice that every new phone or case I simply order a $5 disc replacement kit (which comes with 3 or 4 for different strengths) It's been the best thing so far and easy to take from car to car too.
Old November 30th, 2012, 10:25 PM   #107 (permalink)
AF's janitor

Device(s): currently using... Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Note II Sony NSZ-GS7 Google TV

Thanked 4,679 Times in 1,745 Posts
twospirits411@gmail.com

I've been looking for a flexible arm car mount since I fell in love with the Kensington Quick release car mount that I used with the Motorola Photon.

In searching around for something similar I find a Samsung universal car mount. Although Samsung states that the item shown below will not accommodate a Galaxy Note 2, I think they thought I was referencing to the ECS-K200 version which is only made for the Galaxy S3 and does not have movable wings.

On the other hand, the ECS-K200BEGSTA has expandable wing grips and can accommodate devices from 4.0 to 5.8 inch screens. (the description states only up to 5.3 inch screens but as the video below shows it does indeed fit the Galaxy Note II with enough space to even add a Note II with a case).

This is what it looks like..

here is a video showing the Note II and the ECS-K200BEGSTA mount.

Personally the only issues I can see is
1-Once you take it out the phone, you are left with one big slab on the windshield. Unlike the Kensington Quick release car mount I mention previousl. Sure wish they made that for the Note II size.

2-There is no flexible arm and it looks short in length.

The only other quick release car mount are the Samsung Pleomax ones sold from Korea. Similar to the Kensington in attaching the phone, except no flexible arm but rather a adjustable body. I originally bought the All Fit 2 last year but they shipped the wrong size one.

So lets try this again, I'll order one again (All Fit 2) as well as a All Fit 3 to see Which one I like best. The All Fit 3 looks like it is spring loaded. All Fit 2 looks like quick release. Once I get them in mid Dec, I'll report back.

TS
ScandaLeX likes this.
Members, want to make this place better, just ask the staff. Remember, the "No' is always there, you are just looking for the "Yes". and please read the guidelines, otherwise you may end up in Banlandia.

Google + and twitter user.
Click below for image/list of devices...

The Following User Says Thank You to twospirits For This Useful Post:
ScandaLeX (December 2nd, 2012)
Old December 2nd, 2012, 04:46 AM   #108 (permalink)

Device(s): Sprints Galaxy Note 2 Titanium Grey

ive got the samsung universal car dock that you show and my note 2 from sprint with the seidio active case on it fits fine.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 05:16 AM   #109 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetiePal View Post
I say if you don't mind the metal disc on the back of a case, get the Tetra. I am BEYOND happy, and it's nice that every new phone or case I simply order a $5 disc replacement kit (which comes with 3 or 4 for different strengths) It's been the best thing so far and easy to take from car to car too.
Do you have a link?
Old December 2nd, 2012, 02:17 PM   #110 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default Simple Solution

Quote:
Do you have a link?

New user so can't post link but it is Tetrax.

This problem would sure be simpler and cheaper if iBOLT would just update to the Note 2 Charging Dock as previously posted! Thanksgiving has long passed by so when can we really expect it to be available?
sponsored links
Old December 2nd, 2012, 03:45 PM   #111 (permalink)

Received the car dock I ordered in eBay from China the other day, quite pleased of how it holds the phone as well as the ease of putting the phone on or taking it off.

The only thing I'm wishing for is the auto launch of Car Home Ultra and connection to power and audio.

I've found a solution to my audio connections by ordering the Bluetooth dongle posted by drexappeal.

Also solved the problem of Car app launching by installing a NFC sticker on the cradle itself. And programmed the sticker to launch Car Home Ultra as well as setting the volume to maximum.

In a few weeks I'll see if I have enough courage to purchase the qi charging battery cover and figure out a way to install the qi mount on the cradle.

Sent using the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2
Old December 2nd, 2012, 04:08 PM   #112 (permalink)

I've seen a drawback in using the NFC chip. I tried opening an app but the NFC just relaunches the actions programmed in the chip.

Old December 5th, 2012, 09:53 AM   #113 (permalink)

Device(s):

Wireless charging in a Car Dock is WELL WORTH paying extra for. Count me in for one!

Viro
ScandaLeX likes this.
Old December 5th, 2012, 10:00 AM   #114 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Do you have a link?
Sorry for the delay!

www.tetrax.com

There's two models the the X-Way and the FixWay

X-Way has a clip (padded and doesn't damage anything) that you "screw" into the fins of your air conditioning vents. Then you affix the little metal disc then send you (different sizes and magnetic strengths) to the back of your phone case, and in the center of the X-Way are a Neodymium magnets, that hold that sucker securely. I've used it for 3 phones now, it's universal, PLUS if you get a new case or phone you just use one of the other 3 included metal discs or order more for about $5.

Things like suction cup mounts don't work for me because in my Nissan Murano the windshield isn't THAT near...and I've had my GPS ones fall down way too often. No way I'd let my note 2 drop!

Pretty sure I've got pics of the X-Way somewhere.
Old December 5th, 2012, 10:10 AM   #115 (permalink)

Device(s):

Found em:

Old December 5th, 2012, 10:38 AM   #116 (permalink)
AF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetiePal View Post
Found em:

Pics aren't showing.
Old December 5th, 2012, 10:41 AM   #117 (permalink)

Device(s):

Gah Imgur is sucking today.

Just go to the website
Old December 5th, 2012, 10:42 AM   #118 (permalink)

Device(s):

So the Tetrax magnet won't screw anything up in the phone? Seems like they would have to be pretty powerful to hold something as large as the Note 2 to the dash.

Viro
Old December 5th, 2012, 11:02 AM   #119 (permalink)

Device(s):

I've used it on 3 cell phones, nothing gets screwed up. NFC even works just fine.
Old December 5th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #120 (permalink)

Device(s):

So the option where the magnet mounts directly to the dash most likely isn't going to provide as much stability (eliminate shaking from vibrations) because the Note 2 is so big I am going to assume the "X" mount would be the best solution.

I really like like this concept, thanks for sharing it!

Viro
sponsored links
Old December 5th, 2012, 11:11 AM   #121 (permalink)

The Tetrax is an interesting idea, although I'm not sure how much I love the thought of attaching something to the back of my phone and/or all my cases that has to sit on it all the time. Does someone have a photo of the piece you attach to the phone?

I guess, in theory, I could have an out of car case and an in-car case, but that seems like a hassle.
Old December 5th, 2012, 11:12 AM   #122 (permalink)

Device(s):

The one that mounts to the dash works fine as well, they're both "X-Lines" but I prefer the vent one, because nothing adhesive is put on my cars finish, and if I needed to swap cars it's as easy as unscrewing!

I've used it for 2 years now with my Android devices, and while I'm on a business trip and haven't gotten the chance to use it with my Note 2, it holds TomTom GPS etc which are much heavier than my Note 2.

Only thing is make sure you use a CASE, because when I tried it on my naked Galaxy Nexus it was strong enough to pull the battery door off lol. You usually just "slide" the device off rather than rip it off in that case, but using a case is best anyways.
Old December 5th, 2012, 11:17 AM   #123 (permalink)

Device(s):

I have my Galaxy Nexus back at the hotel, but it's literally the diameter of a nickel. Much thinner.

http://tetrax.com/images/stories/products/accessories/accessories.png

Largest one is the one I use, but the step below works just fine as well.
Old December 5th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #124 (permalink)

Device(s):

I think I might order one, just need to verify my vent location will work, seems like if I recall correctly the vent I would want to use might be behind the steering wheel enough it could cause a viewing issue.

I guess I could always get a Proclip mount and the magnet if that is an issue. I wish the people from ibolt would post an update or give us a heads up on something, I was really looking forward to that system as an option after reading about it.

Viro

They are on eBay (NIB) for $25.99 free S/H for anyone interested.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290816959836?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1438.l2649
Last edited by virodeath; December 5th, 2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old December 5th, 2012, 11:25 AM   #125 (permalink)

Well, I'm almost sold on the Tetrax. It seems like a good way to get a universal dock and it looks cool.
Old December 5th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #126 (permalink)

Device(s):

Well I ordered a couple for my wife's S3 and my Note 2. Afterwards (because I am always thinking ahead) I went out and looked at the vet situation in my Venza and sure enough the vent I would want to put it in is questionable on the viability of the phone.

Hopefully I can slide the mount all the way towards the console and it will be fine.

Have you used the NFC tags with this? Does the tag land on one of the cross arms of the X? Or does anyone have thoughts on this?

Viro
Old December 5th, 2012, 09:20 PM   #127 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by virodeath View Post
Have you used the NFC tags with this? Does the tag land on one of the cross arms of the X? Or does anyone have thoughts on this?

Viro
I have "installer" (EDIT:installed) an NFC sticker on my dock and it proved to be quite annoying. It kept on engaging the commands I have programmed on the NFC tag. I gave up on it and just put a car home ultra icon on my main home screen.

Last edited by Caloy; December 5th, 2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old December 5th, 2012, 10:12 PM   #128 (permalink)

Device(s):

I use tasker to juicedefender to set up car rules but honestly on the note 2 you can keave GPS wifi and Bluetooth on 24/7 no problems
Old December 6th, 2012, 12:06 AM   #129 (permalink)

I put an NFC tag on my dash. I tap it, it does what I want. Then I put it in the dock. You don't want the tag to constantly sit against the phone.
Old December 6th, 2012, 09:24 AM   #130 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprmallet View Post
I put an NFC tag on my dash. I tap it, it does what I want. Then I put it in the dock. You don't want the tag to constantly sit against the phone.
Ahh I didn't realize that.

So then you tap it and it sets the phone to the settings you want while in the car but then say you go to the mall and want it to revert back. Do you have to have another sticker?

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, I was just under the impression that the phone had to be over the sticker to maintain the settings.

Viro
sponsored links
Old December 6th, 2012, 02:52 PM   #131 (permalink)

Device(s):

I didn't see the Mountek mount mentioned yet so thought I'd throw it out there (sorry, seems like I can't post links yet but look for it on Amazon). It slides into your CD slot and permanently occupies it so this isn't for those of you who still use CDs in the car. It's fully adjustable so it will accommodate my Note 2 with or without a case and it swivels portrait to landscape.

I also like it because it has a pass-through slot on the bottom so I can thread my mini USB cord through it and charge the Note II.

I'm very happy with the setup as I personally don't like suction cup mounts, and I already have a Proclip mount for a Garmin, so this was the perfect solution for me.
Dwallace likes this.
Old December 6th, 2012, 05:06 PM   #132 (permalink)

Device(s): Sprint Note 2 Evo 4G Xoom galaxy tab 10.1 ASUS prime
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterbug2012 View Post
I didn't see the Mountek mount mentioned yet so thought I'd throw it out there (sorry, seems like I can't post links yet but look for it on Amazon). It slides into your CD slot and permanently occupies it so this isn't for those of you who still use CDs in the car. It's fully adjustable so it will accommodate my Note 2 with or without a case and it swivels portrait to landscape.

I also like it because it has a pass-through slot on the bottom so I can thread my mini USB cord through it and charge the Note II.

I'm very happy with the setup as I personally don't like suction cup mounts, and I already have a Proclip mount for a Garmin, so this was the perfect solution for me.
Thanks I just took a look at it on Amazon, May have to check this one out.
Old December 6th, 2012, 06:57 PM   #133 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by virodeath View Post
Ahh I didn't realize that.

So then you tap it and it sets the phone to the settings you want while in the car but then say you go to the mall and want it to revert back. Do you have to have another sticker?

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, I was just under the impression that the phone had to be over the sticker to maintain the settings.

Viro
You can set NFC tags as switches. Tap it once, it does one set of things. Tap it again, it does another set of things, and it switches back and forth. So you can set it to enable what you want, then set it to disable those things when you tap it again.
Old December 6th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #134 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note II
Carrier: vzw

Default My $2 Car "dock"

Ok. Here is my ultra-econo car dock.
I went to Home Depot and got 2 clamps at 99 cents each.
The one clamp holds the Note II - then another clamp is clamped to the clamp.
This second one adds an amount of weight to keep everything from sliding.
Then since they have rubberized stuff on them - that also assists in keeping it in place.

$1.98 total (plus tax = $2.10)
suprmallet likes this.
Old December 7th, 2012, 02:23 AM   #135 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Quote:

I read about this one last night on Flipboard. I know for a fact I wouldn't want something hanging out my CD player.
Old December 7th, 2012, 03:47 AM   #136 (permalink)

I ordered the Tetrax. Saw a video review someone did on YouTube and was sold when I saw how small it was, how easy it was to attach to the vent, and how strongly it held the phone. I'm still not thrilled with having this bump attached to the back of my phone case, but it's not the end of the world.

And I happened to have a $5 off coupon for any Amazon purchase over $25, so the $30 Tetrax was perfect.
PetiePal likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to suprmallet For This Useful Post:
PetiePal (December 7th, 2012)
Old December 7th, 2012, 07:17 AM   #137 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: Verizon

I have been using Mountek nGroove Universal CD Slot Mount for a few days now. I LOVE it. Takes literally 10 seconds to install or remove. Lets the phone sit in the perfect spot. Love Love Love it. If anyone wants to see pics, let me know.
Old December 7th, 2012, 08:55 AM   #138 (permalink)

Device(s): Sprint Note 2 Evo 4G Xoom galaxy tab 10.1 ASUS prime
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid Ninja View Post
I have been using Mountek nGroove Universal CD Slot Mount for a few days now. I LOVE it. Takes literally 10 seconds to install or remove. Lets the phone sit in the perfect spot. Love Love Love it. If anyone wants to see pics, let me know.

Yes pics please!

Thanks!
Old December 7th, 2012, 09:05 AM   #139 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by note2 View Post
Ok. Here is my ultra-econo car dock.
I went to Home Depot and got 2 clamps at 99 cents each.
The one clamp holds the Note II - then another clamp is clamped to the clamp.
This second one adds an amount of weight to keep everything from sliding.
Then since they have rubberized stuff on them - that also assists in keeping it in place.

$1.98 total (plus tax = $2.10)
That's hilarious
Old December 7th, 2012, 09:06 AM   #140 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
I ordered the Tetrax. Saw a video review someone did on YouTube and was sold when I saw how small it was, how easy it was to attach to the vent, and how strongly it held the phone. I'm still not thrilled with having this bump attached to the back of my phone case, but it's not the end of the world.

And I happened to have a $5 off coupon for any Amazon purchase over $25, so the $30 Tetrax was perfect.
Glad to see someone else is getting it. I love that mount so much. I can't wait to get home from this business trip to install the nub on my Note 2's case and start using it again.
sponsored links
Old December 7th, 2012, 07:20 PM   #141 (permalink)
AF Addict

Update on iBolt dock, from MikaelPe
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=35146132&postcount=173

I hate "teaser" updates. Teaser updates, majority of the time, set up disappointment...after building up so much interest.
Caloy likes this.
ScandaLeX (December 7th, 2012)
Old December 7th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #142 (permalink)

At least we have a day to watch out for. Hope it's worth the wait. =)

Sent using the SGN2
ScandaLeX likes this.
Old December 7th, 2012, 09:37 PM   #143 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
I read about this one last night on Flipboard. I know for a fact I wouldn't want something hanging out my CD player.
Is that because you think it might be too unstable or because of the placement of your CD player? Just curious...
Old December 7th, 2012, 11:35 PM   #144 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Quote:
Is that because you think it might be too unstable or because of the placement of your CD player? Just curious...

A pic is worth a 1000 words..... *Borrowed* this pic to show my cars interior (this isn't my car- my interior is black). See how low the CD sits? That's how accidents happen. I don't want anything that has me looking down more than up which is why a CD mount is not practical for me.
Old December 8th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #145 (permalink)

Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2, S5
Carrier: V

With a reference to Tetrax and mounting a tiny metal plate on the back on the phone (or the case).

Back in my Droid X days we had a big discussion about it as well. I personally ended up with a different solution by SoundGate M2 (discontinued now) mount with a similar concept of a tiny plastic disk (at most 2mm in thickness) stuck to the back of the phone/case/etc. and sliding into a very unique holder mounted on the dash. As a matter of fact, once I got my N2 and temporary TPU case, I removed that tiny plastic disk and put it on my temp case now.

Everything holds well, BUT there is a big problem. For those who are familiar with DX phones - the shape on the back wasn't flat due to the edge with a camera sticking out. So any small attachment on the back, either metal or plastic disk, was in the gap when phone placed on the flat surface. With N2 being naturally flat and anything attached to the back - it will glide/slide on a flast surface a lot easier. Do you guys know what I mean?

So while Tetrax is a great solution in the car, once you take your phone out and put it on some flat surface (my N2 right now on glass top of dining room table), it will slide because of that extra disk-bump and only one edge of the case (even TPU gelcase) making a contact with a surface
Old December 8th, 2012, 12:33 PM   #146 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post

I hate "teaser" updates. Teaser updates, majority of the time, set up disappointment...after building up so much interest.

Thanks for the post. Yeah they have been teasing us for a while but the description sounds exactly like what I (and so many others) are looking for. Guess we will find out Monday if we have just been teased again.
Old December 8th, 2012, 12:59 PM   #147 (permalink)

Device(s): Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Droid 3, Droid, iPhone 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post

Of course. I just went ahead and ordered the official Universal Dock using my 50% off coupon from Samsung. I was sick of just putting my Note II on the passenger seat after a week. Plus... the videos of the Note II in that dock make it look a lot better than I expected. I'm just not crazy about the clamping action/release button. I'm coming from a Droid 3 so the iBolt is similar to my previous dock. At least it will be an option if I wind up not happy with the Universal dock.
Last edited by BleedingPurist; December 8th, 2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old December 8th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #148 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
With a reference to Tetrax and mounting a tiny metal plate on the back on the phone (or the case).

Back in my Droid X days we had a big discussion about it as well. I personally ended up with a different solution by SoundGate M2 (discontinued now) mount with a similar concept of a tiny plastic disk (at most 2mm in thickness) stuck to the back of the phone/case/etc. and sliding into a very unique holder mounted on the dash. As a matter of fact, once I got my N2 and temporary TPU case, I removed that tiny plastic disk and put it on my temp case now.

Everything holds well, BUT there is a big problem. For those who are familiar with DX phones - the shape on the back wasn't flat due to the edge with a camera sticking out. So any small attachment on the back, either metal or plastic disk, was in the gap when phone placed on the flat surface. With N2 being naturally flat and anything attached to the back - it will glide/slide on a flast surface a lot easier. Do you guys know what I mean?

So while Tetrax is a great solution in the car, once you take your phone out and put it on some flat surface (my N2 right now on glass top of dining room table), it will slide because of that extra disk-bump and only one edge of the case (even TPU gelcase) making a contact with a surface
I thought about this, and decided it was a small sacrifice for a good car mount system.
Old December 8th, 2012, 03:09 PM   #149 (permalink)

Quote:
I thought about this, and decided it was a small sacrifice for a good car mount system.
Do you have it installed already? Since you are dealing with a magnet, and one heck of a strong one, I wonder if you can actually stick something on top of that metal disk to create a better tracktion?

For me, I actually thinking about finding some slim grip to hold the phone and attaching it to my existing soundgate base. Or make a hybrid like this: Car Dock Discussion Thread (that's Soundgate M2 base and Tetrax).
Old December 8th, 2012, 04:16 PM   #150 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allwoods5 View Post
Does anybody have one of these?

Amazon.com: iOttie One-Touch windshield and dashboard car mount for Galaxy Note 2: Cell Phones & Accessories

I'm really considering getting one. The thing that worries me is that most of the reviews are talking about the Note 1 and not the Note 2... Overall it looks really solid and I have a usb port in my car so it wouldn't be a problem plugging it in.
I second that, anybody else tried this one? Looks like a good solution for any surface with that gel type suction pad.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2