Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree49Likes

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 3rd, 2013, 09:58 PM   #251 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Right now people who purchased the dock are waiting on a cable I believe. The iBolt thread over at XDA had become so confusing to me that I don't spend much time invested in it any more.

The Following User Says Thank You to ScandaLeX For This Useful Post:
Toddo97 (April 4th, 2013)
sponsored links
Old April 4th, 2013, 06:21 AM   #252 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

I'll definitely wait and see if the iBolt releases the charging arm before I order. I'm in no rush for a car dock so hopefully I can wait them out. Or another dock will be released. I really wish the Kidigi didn't block the volume buttons since that's a deal breaker for me right now
Old April 4th, 2013, 01:14 PM   #253 (permalink)

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddo97 View Post
I'll definitely wait and see if the iBolt releases the charging arm before I order. I'm in no rush for a car dock so hopefully I can wait them out. Or another dock will be released. I really wish the Kidigi didn't block the volume buttons since that's a deal breaker for me right now
Deal breaker for what reason? At first, I thought it would be also, but I found solutions that end up being better than my having to ever change volume while getting into my car.
Old April 4th, 2013, 04:33 PM   #254 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
Deal breaker for what reason? At first, I thought it would be also, but I found solutions that end up being better than my having to ever change volume while getting into my car.
The only time I use a phone in a car dock is when I'm using it for a gps and it seems like at least once a trip I'll need to adjust the volume to deal with road noise or an exceptionally chatty wife I don't have any immediate need for a dock so I can wait a few weeks and see if ibolt gets their stuff straight although with the s4 release right around the corner, they may get even more overwhelmed with orders. If there isn't anything available in a month, I'll probably reevaluate the importance of volume button access
The Following User Says Thank You to Toddo97 For This Useful Post:
drexappeal (April 4th, 2013)
Old April 4th, 2013, 05:05 PM   #255 (permalink)

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi

Quote:
The only time I use a phone in a car dock is when I'm using it for a gps and it seems like at least once a trip I'll need to adjust the volume to deal with road noise or an exceptionally chatty wife I don't have any immediate need for a dock so I can wait a few weeks and see if ibolt gets their stuff straight although with the s4 release right around the corner, they may get even more overwhelmed with orders. If there isn't anything available in a month, I'll probably reevaluate the importance of volume button access
I see. I was going to suggest a couple options that I use now, thanks to other members of this forum that had posted apps, but I use an app called Quick Profiles that I can set different settings, depending on where I am, and it will automatically turn my volume up to 100%. This is handy, due to that audio precaution function that the Note 2 has, where it will turn media and another volume setting down to 50%, after it connects via bluetooth.

But, obviously, that's not going to be useful in the scenario you presented.
The Following User Says Thank You to drexappeal For This Useful Post:
Toddo97 (April 4th, 2013)
Old April 4th, 2013, 07:33 PM   #256 (permalink)

Quote:
I see. I was going to suggest a couple options that I use now, thanks to other members of this forum that had posted apps, but I use an app called Quick Profiles that I can set different settings, depending on where I am, and it will automatically turn my volume up to 100%. This is handy, due to that audio precaution function that the Note 2 has, where it will turn media and another volume setting down to 50%, after it connects via bluetooth.

I didn't realize that it had that audio precaution function--that's good to know. Maybe I'll try driving around with the volume at 100% and see if that's too annoying. If not, I can get the Kidigi and just bump the volume up all of the way before trips. Thanks for the tips
Old April 4th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #257 (permalink)

Quote:
I didn't realize that it had that audio precaution function--that's good to know. Maybe I'll try driving around with the volume at 100% and see if that's too annoying. If not, I can get the Kidigi and just bump the volume up all of the way before trips. Thanks for the tips
No problem. I seriously was in a similar situation (not for the same reasons, but wanted access to the volume controls), but when someone posted Quick Profiles (it's a free app), it stopped me from buying tasker and it works perfectly for my needs. On top of that, I didn't need to buy/wait for the iBolt mount.

Now, the added bonus is that I use Widgetsoid (again, still my favorite widget/notification toggle app on the market...I've mentioned it several times). With Widgetsoid, I created a notification toggle that shows in my notification bar (much like the OEM one that's already on the phone). On that notification bar, I created a toggle for Quick Profiles and some other apps that I use frequently. And on top of that, I use Widgetlocker, which I've set to allow the notification bar to be pulled down (while on the lock screen). Basically, once I'm in my car, I never have to unlock my phone to change all the settings that I need changed. I just use my quick access notification bar and I'm set.

My next agenda will be to set up the NFC tags and see if that will be more efficient, but my current routine has been working just fine, so I haven't taken the time to do that yet.
Old April 6th, 2013, 10:53 AM   #258 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3

Quote:
Posted the link earlier in this thread, but happy to post again.

I got the one without the Handsfree. Didn't need that, since I have a bluetooth headset and it was already reported that it didn't launch the car dock app, like it had mentioned in the description (which, again, was not important to me).

$31.99 w/o handsfree
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Car Mount Cradle Charger :: MobileFun.com

There was no free shipping discount, so it ended up being around $5 less than it would've cost me for the iBolt dock. Still worth it, since iBolt still doesn't have the extended charging arm ready.
Wish I had seen the option without Handsfree before I bought mine. I love the dock, but the big clunky speaker/power plug takes up a lot of room and I have no plans to use it anyway. My Bluetooth headset works just fine.

Some of the ads say that the Kidigi enables car dock mode, but it doesn't. I stuck an NFC sticker on top of the dock to toggle car dock and driving mode, volume, etc.
drexappeal likes this.
Old April 6th, 2013, 03:03 PM   #259 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith94 View Post
Wish I had seen the option without Handsfree before I bought mine. I love the dock, but the big clunky speaker/power plug takes up a lot of room and I have no plans to use it anyway. My Bluetooth headset works just fine.

Some of the ads say that the Kidigi enables car dock mode, but it doesn't. I stuck an NFC sticker on top of the dock to toggle car dock and driving mode, volume, etc.
That will probably be my next thing, using NFC tags. Seems like that would eliminate the need for the car profile.
Old April 6th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #260 (permalink)

Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2
Carrier: V

Just received iOttie car mount. Will post an official review either tonight or tomorrow. All I have to say: Wow!!! It has the best sticky gel base mount I have seen (and I was previously impressed with Arkon and ExoGear) and the phone mount part is truly one hand operation (original lock mechanism). One hand!!! No wonder they are #1 car mount on Amazon, I can clearly see why.

Complete List of all smartphone and tablet Accessory and Gadget REVIEWS by Twister => HERE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~
sponsored links
Old April 6th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #261 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2

I've looked for this answer but do not want to take apart a USB and do any soldiering. I have a generic car mount that fits my note 2. I know car dock apps can be set to automatically start when a Bluetooth device is connected. I want to have the app start automatically when I plug a car charger into my phone. Is there a charger that is reasonably priced that will Automatically trigger car-mode?
Old April 20th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #262 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

If positioning is important to you, this mount is great. Has a sticky suction that grabs to even slightly uneven surfaces. Has double elbows to move in any position, and a very fast click release and even a faster re mount via a spring loaded button on the back that snaps my note right into place. I do have to manually connect the charger, but I was able to mount this in my Fusion where it is basically right behind the sterring wheel. I never have to take my eyes off the road to look at my Note2. Well worth the 20 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007FH716W/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Last edited by ScandaLeX; April 20th, 2013 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Fixed your link
The Following User Says Thank You to Jdm2010 For This Useful Post:
jms493 (May 8th, 2013)
Old April 21st, 2013, 04:13 AM   #263 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II

Quote:

Another option is CarHome Ultra, you can set media volume to full and turn on and connect to a specific device once launched.

Sent using the force
Old April 29th, 2013, 03:51 PM   #264 (permalink)

Device(s):

anyone have an update on the ibolt mount? I just got my note 2 and am looking for a car dock that takes a case on it. I saw the ibolt saying it takes ALL cases. wanted to make sure things r peachy before i spend the $. Thanks
Old April 29th, 2013, 04:04 PM   #265 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrddragn View Post
anyone have an update on the ibolt mount? I just got my note 2 and am looking for a car dock that takes a case on it. I saw the ibolt saying it takes ALL cases. wanted to make sure things r peachy before i spend the $. Thanks
Supposedly it was working with otterbox and also with exceeded battery, so should be safe to buy now
ntrddragn likes this.
Old April 29th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #266 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

You might want to visit the iBolt thread over at XDA before spending your money. The latest issue has to do with cables that work with the dock but weren't available so basically anyone who purchased it didn't get all they paid for.

Cables are *supposed* to be shipping as we speak.
drexappeal and ntrddragn like this.
Old April 29th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #267 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandaLeX View Post
You might want to visit the iBolt thread over at XDA before spending your money. The latest issue has to do with cables that work with the dock but weren't available so basically anyone who purchased it didn't get all they paid for.

They were shipping cables to early orders for sure.
Old April 29th, 2013, 06:04 PM   #268 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Quote:
They were shipping cables to early orders for sure.
Many early adopters still haven't received the cable yet. Hopefully they'll be getting them soon.
I was in on that thread from day one and there were a lot of promises made by iBolt yet I became put off on buying the dock because everything that has gone wrong, NONE of it was ever their fault.
That's inconceivable.

LMAO @ you [inside joke]
drexappeal likes this.
Old April 29th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #269 (permalink)

Quote:
Many early adopters still haven't received the cable yet. Hopefully they'll be getting them soon.
I was in on that thread from day one and there were a lot of promises made by iBolt yet I became put off on buying the dock because everything that has gone wrong, NONE of it was ever their fault.
That's inconceivable.

LMAO @ you [inside joke]
Yeah. Me too, which is why I opted for the Kidigi and works fine for me, since I am only using a thin case.
ScandaLeX likes this.
Old April 29th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #270 (permalink)

Device(s): Motorola DroidX Samsung Note 2

I received my cable today. Looks nice, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
sponsored links
Old May 6th, 2013, 11:37 AM   #271 (permalink)

For those interested, I just got an email from Monoprice and it seems like they've taken the Kidigi dock and re-branded it with Monoprice, but are selling for MUCH cheaper:

For only $21.35 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Samsung Galaxy Note II CaseDuo Car Mount Charger - Black
ScandaLeX likes this.
ScandaLeX (May 6th, 2013)
Old May 7th, 2013, 11:06 PM   #272 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
For those interested, I just got an email from Monoprice and it seems like they've taken the Kidigi dock and re-branded it with Monoprice, but are selling for MUCH cheaper:

For only $21.35 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Samsung Galaxy Note II CaseDuo Car Mount Charger - Black
edit: nevermind
Last edited by ntrddragn; May 7th, 2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old May 8th, 2013, 05:58 AM   #273 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid X, Samsung Note 2

Quote:

I just got my cable yesterday! It is useless. So much noise comes over the USB to audio that I cannot use it. Popping and other noise. I, by no means, am an audio snob. I think FM sounds great. Anyway, it's the cable since I can use the head phone jack and blue tooth and it is perfectly quiet. Waited 4 months for something I cannot use.
Old May 8th, 2013, 06:24 AM   #274 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

@serpa Sorry you.
Over at XDA there are people swearing the cable is fabulous. Have you contacted MichaelPe?
Old May 8th, 2013, 11:08 AM   #275 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdm2010 View Post
If positioning is important to you, this mount is great. Has a sticky suction that grabs to even slightly uneven surfaces. Has double elbows to move in any position, and a very fast click release and even a faster re mount via a spring loaded button on the back that snaps my note right into place. I do have to manually connect the charger, but I was able to mount this in my Fusion where it is basically right behind the sterring wheel. I never have to take my eyes off the road to look at my Note2. Well worth the 20 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007FH716W/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Just bought...cant wait to have a permanent place for the phone.
Old May 11th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #276 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid X, Samsung Note 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpa4 View Post
I just got my cable yesterday! It is useless. So much noise comes over the USB to audio that I cannot use it. Popping and other noise. I, by no means, am an audio snob. I think FM sounds great. Anyway, it's the cable since I can use the head phone jack and blue tooth and it is perfectly quiet. Waited 4 months for something I cannot use.
Seems If I don't wrape the cable around the plastic arm on my vw jetta center console it is clear. Looks like coiling the cable neatly on a circle causes my interference.
Last edited by ScandaLeX; May 11th, 2013 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 01:38 PM   #277 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpa4 View Post
Seems If I don't wrape the cable around the plastic arm on my vw jetta center console it is clear. Looks like coiling the cable neatly on a circle causes my interference.
At least it's now working as it should.
Due to the fact that you cant wrap would you consider them defective?
Old May 11th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #278 (permalink)

Quote:

Bought one, but I got charged $30+ including shipping.
Old May 11th, 2013, 07:05 PM   #279 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caloy View Post
Bought one, but I got charged $30+ including shipping.
Did you contact customer service about that?
Old May 11th, 2013, 08:00 PM   #280 (permalink)

No. I meant including shipping you will spend 30+.

Sent using the force
sponsored links
Old May 11th, 2013, 10:15 PM   #281 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Quote:
No. I meant including shipping you will spend 30+.

Sent using the force
Ohhhhh I thought you meant they made a mistake in pricing and overcharged you.
Old May 14th, 2013, 05:20 AM   #282 (permalink)

ONLY TODAY!!!

Two (2) iOttie car docks for $27.99

http://1saleaday.com/wireless/

I visit this site everyday and have bought several items from the site already. =)

Too. Bad I already bought a dock a couple days ago.

-Sent using the power of the dark side
Old May 16th, 2013, 04:52 PM   #283 (permalink)

Received my monoprice dock last night, first impression is that it is built well. Installed it in my car and was a little disheartened when my Seidio Surface case would only fit the dock if you force it slightly. Other than that, I'm quite happy with the dock. I used my own charger since it charges my phone a lot faster than any I've used so far.

Right now I'm looking for a case that has as good if not better than the Seidio and that would fit the dock perfectly, any suggestions?

Sent using the force
Old May 16th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #284 (permalink)

Quote:
Received my monoprice dock last night, first impression is that it is built well. Installed it in my car and was a little disheartened when my Seidio Surface case would only fit the dock if you force it slightly. Other than that, I'm quite happy with the dock. I used my own charger since it charges my phone a lot faster than any I've used so far.

Right now I'm looking for a case that has as good if not better than the Seidio and that would fit the dock perfectly, any suggestions?

Sent using the force
I had already purchased the original Kidigi dock with the speakerphone in the power plug, but never used that part and it just made the plug too big. The Monoprice dock arrived today to replace it. Everything fits just the same and I like it a lot.

Here's the case I use and it fits this dock just right: Amazon.com: Black X Line TPU Gel Back Case / Cover for Samsung Galaxy Note II 2 GT-N7100: Cell Phones & Accessories
The Following User Says Thank You to JimSmith94 For This Useful Post:
Caloy (May 16th, 2013)
Old May 16th, 2013, 09:17 PM   #285 (permalink)

Quote:
I had already purchased the original Kidigi dock with the speakerphone in the power plug, but never used that part and it just made the plug too big. The Monoprice dock arrived today to replace it. Everything fits just the same and I like it a lot.

Here's the case I use and it fits this dock just right: Amazon.com: Black X Line TPU Gel Back Case / Cover for Samsung Galaxy Note II 2 GT-N7100: Cell Phones & Accessories
I never even took the plug out of the box. I use the arm, but I use my own cable that I had before from a Motorola dock and it worked fine.
Old May 16th, 2013, 09:33 PM   #286 (permalink)

Quote:
I never even took the plug out of the box. I use the arm, but I use my own cable that I had before from a Motorola dock and it worked fine.
The cable for the Kidigi one with the speakerphone plug is hardwired, plus it only charged at 1 amp. I hooked the Monoprice one up to a 2A car charger that I already had.
Old May 16th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #287 (permalink)

Quote:
The cable for the Kidigi one with the speakerphone plug is hardwired, plus it only charged at 1 amp. I hooked the Monoprice one up to a 2A car charger that I already had.
Oh wow, didn't realize that. Glad I got the other one.

The monoprice Mount looks like a rebranded kidigi Mount. It looks exactly like one I have
Old May 17th, 2013, 11:35 PM   #288 (permalink)

Quote:
Oh wow, didn't realize that. Glad I got the other one.

The monoprice Mount looks like a rebranded kidigi Mount. It looks exactly like one I have
It is. My Kidigi mount with the integrated speakerphone is for sale if anyone is interested.
Old May 19th, 2013, 12:03 PM   #289 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: AT&T

Hey all been a while!

Received the ibolt for the Note 2 yesterday, ordered Wednesday.

Got everything set up, installed the ibolt app as well.

Only "issues" I can see:

The "door" on the back that covers the cable connections is not a good fit and the slightest bump makes it come loose. I can see this being lost in no time.

The charging cable is very stiff and not real flexible. Seems like it is easier to connect the charging cable prior to placing the phone in the mount. Not as easy to use as in the video.

Mine came with the cable that most did not receive. I believe they are shipping with the unit now.

Instructions are minimal. The video on youtube explains a lot though.

My truck, a Toyota Tacoma. I have to use a "pigtail" with 2 cigar plugs as I use a radar detector as well. With the tail I have a usb charger for the bolt charging cable. Defiantly a lot of wire laying around!

The "Aux" cable, I have to ask how this works? My truck has an "aux" receptacle, and when I plug the cable in, I get some static. Is there a setting on the stereo for it?

This is just first impressions, when I get to use it for navigation, I'll give a report on that as well. Overall, I like it, my "issues" are minimal and I'd recommend the ibolt as it sits.
Old May 20th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #290 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppfd View Post
... The "Aux" cable, I have to ask how this works? My truck has an "aux" receptacle, and when I plug the cable in, I get some static. Is there a setting on the stereo for it?

This is just first impressions, when I get to use it for navigation, I'll give a report on that as well. Overall, I like it, my "issues" are minimal and I'd recommend the ibolt as it sits.
Try unplugging the charger, if the static goes away, you might need to buy a ground loop isolator that connect to your aux cable. Hope this helps.

-Sent using the power of the dark side
sponsored links
Old May 31st, 2013, 05:33 PM   #291 (permalink)

So, I had tried the iBolt for a short period w/ the special USB connector and I found that my Samsung HS3000 could output practically the same quality of audio. That said, I'm sure many of you remember that I've been practically obsessed with bluetooth dongles, ever since I discovered the cheap ones on ebay. Well, I thought I'd share this post that I made on the Note 8 accessory thread:

LINK: Drex post in Note 8 accessory thread regarding Bluetooth dongle/adapter options

And Woot.com has some on sale from a brand I've never heard of, but should serve the same purpose:

Avantree Bluetooth

Just to let you all know why I decided to stick with the bluetooth connection (through my 3.5mm adapter) vs. sticking with the USB audio...bottom line=convenience.

Not only was I able to achieve the same (or very very close) sound output with the bluetooth dongle, but it allowed me the option to play my music through my Note 8, without having to connect the USB every time I got in my car. Since Samsung decided not to create a car dock that was a "dock and go" option, I hated having to plug in my Note 8 every time, just to listen to music while on my commute. For those that haven't seen my new car dock setup, with my Note 8, here are the pics:

Samsung HS3000 clamped loosely (secure enough that it won't go anywhere) on the ProClip Mount w/ microUSB charging splitter between the Kidigi Mount and the HS3000, and 3.5mm plugged in.

Note 8 mounted on the Arkon Slimgrip mount (not using the suction mount provided, which went in my relative's car)

Arkon slimgrip device mount

Note 2 and Note 8 setup

Of course, I haven't gone through the trouble of hiding as many of the wires as possible yet, but everything is out of the way from daily functions that I have on my daily commute, as well as driving around town. Now, the only time I ever need to plug in my devices, is when they really need to be charging. Otherwise, this is as close to "dock and go" as I could get. With the great battery life on the Note 2 and the "good enough" battery life on the Note 8, I can get in my car, dock my Note 8, dock my Note 2, start the car up, and go. The bluetooth connection form the HS3000 to my Note 8 links up fairly fast and I have NOVA set up to auto rotate, so I have no need for car dock mode (due to PowerAMP's awesome widget).
twospirits likes this.
twospirits (June 17th, 2013)

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2