Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zachavm

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 11th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): S3, Razr, iPad 3
Carrier: Not Provided

Question Galaxy Note 2 or S3 – faster updates, which one?

From the past experience of the Note and the S2 which one received “better” more frequent updates (both carrier & software) and how do you think this will be with the S3 vs. the Note 2 or do you think they will receive similar updates?

sponsored links
Old October 11th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid X, Samsung Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshieca View Post
From the past experience of the Note and the S2 which one received “better” more frequent updates (both carrier & software) and how do you think this will be with the S3 vs. the Note 2 or do you think they will receive similar updates?
My guess is the phone that has the most sales, SIII.
Samsung: update phone for 5 million customers or update device serving 15 million customers.
Just a guess.
Old October 11th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s):

the SIII is obviously the company's flagship, but he note has become a strong second place. Considering that they are both samsung, I honestly wouldn't differentiate between the two. Samsung is without a doubt the best company out there at updates. They invest a lot in making them happen for customers. Even the GS2 is supposed to get Jelly Bean. Considering it launched with Gingerbread, that means something. Very few phones make it through multiple iterations of android without rooting.

Consequently, I say there won't be a difference. Both will get 4.2 (whatever that is), and I would bet that both will get the next version (5.0/Key Lime pie/4.x). The only thing you might be able to say is that the Note II will make it through more updates because it was launched with JB and not ICS.
The Following User Says Thank You to zachavm For This Useful Post:
Joshieca (October 12th, 2012)
Old October 12th, 2012, 05:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid X, Samsung Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

Many phones only see one update. Since it comes with JB, I'd say it's safe to have at least one more major update.
Not sure about the Moto Razr HD though as it is launching with 4.0 and will later recieve 4.1.
Old October 12th, 2012, 02:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): S3, Razr, iPad 3

Cool thanks...just on the fence right now if I should trade the S3 for the Note 2. Need to wait until the states get them in and play around with it. I love the S3, but I would like a bigger screen. Was wondering if the Note 2 would get updates or if Samsung would just say, ahhh it doesn't need it as not too many people are buying it.

As for the Moto Razr -- sorry, I wont ever buy a Moto product again. Owned two and have been screwed over by Moto on both. Sorry, they have lost my business forever.
Old October 12th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshieca View Post
Cool thanks...just on the fence right now if I should trade the S3 for the Note 2. Need to wait until the states get them in and play around with it. I love the S3, but I would like a bigger screen. Was wondering if the Note 2 would get updates or if Samsung would just say, ahhh it doesn't need it as not too many people are buying it.

As for the Moto Razr -- sorry, I wont ever buy a Moto product again. Owned two and have been screwed over by Moto on both. Sorry, they have lost my business forever.
one more bit for comparison. I mentioned that the Galaxy S2 (released 1 1/2 years ago with Gingerbread) has been announced to be getting Jelly Bean. The original note (also released with Gingerbread) has been announced to be getting JB too. I think it's safe to say that for their primary phones, Samsung easily pushes a year to a year and a half for keeping their phones up to date.
serpa4 likes this.
Old October 13th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): Sony Xperia Z Ultra (White), LG Nexus 5(White), LG Nexus 4 (Black), Pebble (white), Google CR-48
Carrier: T-Mobile (Prepaid)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachavm View Post
one more bit for comparison. I mentioned that the Galaxy S2 (released 1 1/2 years ago with Gingerbread) has been announced to be getting Jelly Bean. The original note (also released with Gingerbread) has been announced to be getting JB too. I think it's safe to say that for their primary phones, Samsung easily pushes a year to a year and a half for keeping their phones up to date.
I read somewhere that the Original Note was taken off that list of phones getting Jelly Bean. At the time I looked at a list on Samsung's website and it did not include the Note 1.
Old October 14th, 2012, 10:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunBringer View Post
I read somewhere that the Original Note was taken off that list of phones getting Jelly Bean. At the time I looked at a list on Samsung's website and it did not include the Note 1.
The original note is well enough to handle jelly bean.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2