Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Like Tree99Likes

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 13th, 2013, 07:59 AM   #451 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Default Re: Best GN2 Screen Protector

Nope. No more screen protector. Snatched that puppy off after it developed a tear and never looked back.

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old March 13th, 2013, 09:53 AM   #452 (permalink)

Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2, S5
Carrier: V

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandaLeX View Post
Nope. No more screen protector. Snatched that puppy off after it developed a tear and never looked back.
Which one (screen protector) did you use? Just curious where/how it developed a tear. If its due to some deep scratch, wouldn't you consider it actually saving your glass?

I have been very happy with my iSmooth protector. Actually last month I had my phone in the outer upper pocket of Columbia jacket along with keys and other junk. Didn't realize but when I was pulling it out of the pocket zipper went right over the screen of the phone. To my surprise I ended just with a minor scratch on the screen protector (thank God its 3H thick). Of course, me being anal about looking at the scratch, I replaced the screen protector. Honestly, after taking it off you do appreciate the feel of the screen glass, but then I had to put a new one right back on for piece of mind

Complete List of all smartphone and tablet Accessory and Gadget REVIEWS by Twister => HERE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old March 13th, 2013, 10:37 AM   #453 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

I'm about to upgrade to a Note II. I have owned a Bionic since they came out, never needed a screen protector. There is not a single scratch on my screen. Do you really need one with the Note II? I personally hate screen protectors since they inevitably lift up on the corners/sides, get dirty, get scratched, etc. Whereas with the original screen I simply wipe it clean and it looks like new again.

I totally get the desire to have one, I used to be same way with devices. I'm really hoping it's NOT neccessary though with the Note II.
Old March 13th, 2013, 11:17 AM   #454 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Galaxy Note II, had HTC Flyer and Nexus 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
How about an lcd lens cleaner?
They make some of the LCD lens cleaners that contain alcohol and some that don't. I don't trust the ones with alcohol in them.
Linux user #449322 running Linux Mint 14 KDE
Old March 13th, 2013, 06:06 PM   #455 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

I had the SPG Ultra Clear. As far as do I think it potentially protected my screen? No. I think it was an unneeded purchase bought on by forum hype.

Some people act like a cell phone is destined for doom if no screen protector isn't immediately placed on it.
almath likes this.
Old March 13th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #456 (permalink)

Device(s): Note II
Carrier: Smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by donec View Post
They make some of the LCD lens cleaners that contain alcohol and some that don't. I don't trust the ones with alcohol in them.
Guess I'll just go and buy a new one then
Old March 14th, 2013, 08:01 AM   #457 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II - Titanium Gray

After reading this thread over a month ago, I purchased the Spigen Ultra Oleopobic. I am 200% satisfied and will purchase again. After applying the protector to my Note 2, my phone died and I had to get a replacement. I insisted that the salesperson transfer the screen protector to my new note which he did halfheartedly. I got home and reapplied, smoothing bubbles and removing lint with a piece of tape. The protector still looks great and people don't even realize I have one on. I still have my second protector in the pack. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old March 17th, 2013, 07:11 PM   #458 (permalink)

Device(s): Samy Galaxy Note II,Note 10.1,siii 32gig, had-MotoXoom1,iPhone 4s,4,droidX,Droid 1
Carrier: Verizon

After reading here someone mentioned a MIME screen protector, I purchased one (I know call me crazy).

1. Really easy to install.

2. It fits inside my Seidio SURFACE™ with Metal Kickstand Combo - Black
I actually installed it with the surface on so I knew it was inside perfectly.

3. just a couple of bubles left, they say they should go away in a week, (EDIT: these are gone in the 2 days they say it should, but I did have to press down on them for about 5 minutes each)

4. should be cut just a hair smaller, got some edges that just wont stay down, but it is not a big deal where they are. (they are very very minor, I'm picky) EDIT 3-19-2013 I got rid of my last big edge bubble, just a couple more small edge bubbles left.

5. very very glass like, I have not seen anything this close. No scratches so far in it at all, from my use (seems very hard to scratch).

6. Pretty thick, thicker than what I thought so

6a. home button is recessed, I actually love this, I was always hitting it by accident.

6b. when scrolling slowly (it may need more time to cure, a month or so, as other screen protectors kind of did the same, but not to this extent) the phone thinks I pulled my finger off the screen and back on, intermittently, causing a tap. EDIT 3-23-2013 This problem in one week has just about gone away.

I'm not sure I like 6b problem, hoping it gets at least better as it ages on the screen as my other protectors did.

also it was not numbered as mentioned in the video at all, I got the nice packaging but no number, then again that would be useless anyway with this kind of thing, as someone would actually give me money for a low used build number.

I was using a Phantom skin, that I did like until I used the pen on it and saw the lines in it (not that bad, but noticeable when looked at certain angles, again my OCD)

If 5b gets better, I will be getting one for my wife's Siii and this will be my most recommended, but only if 6b gets better. EDIT (3-23-2013) this is my most recommended now as 6b has just about gone away.

Edit to #3 (3-18-2013)
Edit to #4 (3-19-2013)
Edit to #6b (3-24-2013)
almath likes this.
Last edited by dfran1; March 23rd, 2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 05:07 PM   #459 (permalink)

Device(s): Samy Galaxy Note II,Note 10.1,siii 32gig, had-MotoXoom1,iPhone 4s,4,droidX,Droid 1

I have edited my post in the week of ownership of the MIME Screen protector
and it is just about perfect!

I love the feel and it cleans easily.

I am going to get one for my wife's siii when MIME gets them back in stock.

I think I could have eliminated all side bubbles, if I spent more time with it when I put it on, but I am picky and the bubbles are not bad at all.

No scratches at all in this week and I has some very dirty hands at some points that I thought would cause them for sure, but nothing at all.

Only drawback is it is pretty thick, but I don't care as it fits inside my seidio case anyway (as my other screen protectors did not) and I like the home button recessed so I don't hit it by accident anymore.

For whatever it is worth I would also give this screen protector a 10 out of 10.
(no other screen protector would I give this to that I have used to date)
Old March 23rd, 2013, 08:38 PM   #460 (permalink)

I was thinking about MIME at first, but then after reading 18 pages of complains including bubbles not going away (on XDA forum), I'm turning the other way. I'm familiar with a dry install PET film screen protectors very well. Tried a bunch, using iSmooth which by far is the best. Install is simple, and if I mess it up - it's easy to lift up and use scotch tape to remove any lint/dust particle, and air bubbles come out easily just by swiping your finger with some pressure on the screen. Here with MIME, I'm reading that it takes days for bubbles to go away, and people are using different tricks to get them out, plus some had issues with edges not sticking well.

With all that said, I'm actually waiting for Seidio VITREO tempered glass screen protector, hopefully to arrive sometime next week Just anxious if I'm going to end up dealing with bubbles...
sponsored links
Old March 29th, 2013, 03:20 PM   #461 (permalink)

Device(s):

Everyone in this thread is using the Spigen screen protectors and I have to admit, they look really good. I'm currently using an ArmorSuit screen protector for my SGS3, but I was looking into getting a new protector for my SGN2. From the looks of it, I'll be trying the Spigen protector and comparing it to the ArmorSuit on my S3. Has anyone else compared the two brands?
Old March 29th, 2013, 03:59 PM   #462 (permalink)
AF Addict

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LANdroidParty View Post
Everyone in this thread is using the Spigen screen protectors and I have to admit, they look really good. I'm currently using an ArmorSuit screen protector for my SGS3, but I was looking into getting a new protector for my SGN2. From the looks of it, I'll be trying the Spigen protector and comparing it to the ArmorSuit on my S3. Has anyone else compared the two brands?
Only thing that automatically gives Spigen (SGP) the win, IMO, is dry install vs. Armor Suit's wet install. Ever since discovering Spigen and the fact that it doesn't require any water, I've never looked for anything else (unless Spigen didn't have a screen protector for that device).

That said, Spigen has something for the S3 that I'd try, if I had it.

Galaxy S3 Screen Protector Steinheil Curved Crystal - GALAXY S3 - Samsung - Cell Phones | SPIGEN SGP

They haven't made one for the Note 2, but still like it the best (unless I were to go with MIME or the Seidio glass protector).
Old March 30th, 2013, 02:10 AM   #463 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

^ ^ What he said.
I'm still living my screen since removing Spigen from it.
drexappeal likes this.
Old March 30th, 2013, 11:43 AM   #464 (permalink)
AF Addict

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi

Quote:
^ ^ What he said.
I'm still living my screen since removing Spigen from it.
I'm way more paranoid now, though. There has been a couple times, I've considered installing my extra one, but too lazy to have done it yet.
Old March 30th, 2013, 10:35 PM   #465 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
I'm way more paranoid now, though. There has been a couple times, I've considered installing my extra one, but too lazy to have done it yet.
What happened to cause your paranoia?
Old March 31st, 2013, 07:13 AM   #466 (permalink)

I think I mentioned this before, but iSmooth screen protectors deserve serious consideration. That was my personal dry sp of choice prior to switching to Vitreo tempered glass. They are on par with Spigen, the same crystal clarity, anti-glare, 3H hardness, perfect cut, and no problem sticking to the edges. Also as a bonus you actually get 3 in pack, including HUGE microfiber cleaning cloth (you can wrap the whole phone in it lol!!!), and they offer lifetime replacement guarantee. Price used to be $9.97 for the pack, now I see it on Amazon for $11.97 though (they also got over 700 reviews).
Old March 31st, 2013, 07:29 AM   #467 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
I think I mentioned this before, but iSmooth screen protectors deserve serious consideration. That was my personal dry sp of choice prior to switching to Vitreo tempered glass. They are on par with Spigen, the same crystal clarity, anti-glare, 3H hardness, perfect cut, and no problem sticking to the edges. Also as a bonus you actually get 3 in pack, including HUGE microfiber cleaning cloth (you can wrap the whole phone in it lol!!!), and they offer lifetime replacement guarantee. Price used to be $9.97 for the pack, now I see it on Amazon for $11.97 though (they also got over 700 reviews).
Hi,

How is the vitreo, hows the finger response on all areas of the screen?
Any edge bubbles?

Do you like ismooth better or?

I'm liking the mime, screen response is just a tad weak on it, but not bad
(I think you would get the same from the seidio one?)

Thanks
and to all
HAPPY EASTER!!!!!
Old March 31st, 2013, 09:00 AM   #468 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfran1 View Post
How is the vitreo, hows the finger response on all areas of the screen?
Any edge bubbles?

Do you like ismooth better or?

I'm liking the mime, screen response is just a tad weak on it, but not bad
(I think you would get the same from the seidio one?)
Per my official review of VITREO (Seidio VITREO Tempered Glass review w/lots of pics!!!) finger response is flawless. There was never an edge bubble, just a few "wet" glue spots that went away on the morning after the install.

As you can imagine, comparing it to iSmooth is like apples and oranges, two different products in two different categories. iSmooth is a dry install PET film protector (3H rated), VITREO is a thicker tempered glass layer (9H rated). By nature of its design/material tempered glass will give you a better shock/scratch protection verses a regular film screen protector which mostly offers scratch protection. But then film screen protector is thinner and not as noticeable on the phone, and also lighter thus not contributing extra weight (although I also found VITREO to be very lightweight). I can't judge MIME beside forum comments, mostly on XDA forum where people mentioned issues with edges not sticky uniformly and bubbles remaining for weeks after the install. But everybody agreed that MIME customer support is top notch. Another tempered glass product from Clarivue was mentioned in that forum as "stay away due to quality and awful customer support" lol!!!

With dry film screen protectors, both iSmooth and Spigen are great but I believe iSmooth offers a much better value. I remember writing a negative comment about Spigen sp before in this forum lol!!! because I had a hard time with install and felt the cutout was trimmed too much. But with more experience of other dry installs and reading about other screen protectors - I have to change my opinion, and definitely considering iSmooth/Spigen as two of the top choices.
Old March 31st, 2013, 11:38 PM   #469 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Hey Twist.... by any chance did you post your tempered glass review in the tempered glass thread?
Old April 1st, 2013, 06:57 AM   #470 (permalink)

Quote:
Hey Twist.... by any chance did you post your tempered glass review in the tempered glass thread?
Sorry if I missed it, but I wasn't aware about that thread. I usually post my reviews in threads appropriate to the specific phone or tablet section of the forum. Pls let me know the link to that thread, and I can add a link in there to my review post or maybe copy it in there. Wouldn't want to move my review out of Note 2 forum
sponsored links
Old April 2nd, 2013, 12:17 AM   #471 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
Sorry if I missed it, but I wasn't aware about that thread. I usually post my reviews in threads appropriate to the specific phone or tablet section of the forum. Pls let me know the link to that thread, and I can add a link in there to my review post or maybe copy it in there. Wouldn't want to move my review out of Note 2 forum
Tempered glass thread is in the Note 2 forums.
Old May 28th, 2013, 12:26 AM   #472 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Mobilicity

i've been using Zagg Invisible Shield (Original) for a long time now, my Galaxy Nexus still like new my Nexus 7 also, on my Note 2 i got the Zagg InvisibleShield HD (by mistake) but i can see the difference and i like it a lot, i've scratched them but within a week the scratch is gone.
Old July 12th, 2013, 11:14 AM   #473 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehikingdude View Post
I'm about to upgrade to a Note II. I have owned a Bionic since they came out, never needed a screen protector. There is not a single scratch on my screen. Do you really need one with the Note II? I personally hate screen protectors since they inevitably lift up on the corners/sides, get dirty, get scratched, etc. Whereas with the original screen I simply wipe it clean and it looks like new again.

I totally get the desire to have one, I used to be same way with devices. I'm really hoping it's NOT neccessary though with the Note II.

I've always had screen protectors on my screens, but considering going naked on the note2. I also have the note 10.1 and has a screen protector and you can really tell the difference when using the SPen. Feels alot smoother without. I sometimes feel that the screen protector can interfere with typing accuracy like on swype. I'll think about it I guess.
Old July 12th, 2013, 12:52 PM   #474 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jore View Post
I've always had screen protectors on my screens, but considering going naked on the note2. I also have the note 10.1 and has a screen protector and you can really tell the difference when using the SPen. Feels alot smoother without. I sometimes feel that the screen protector can interfere with typing accuracy like on swype. I'll think about it I guess.
To have a pure glass experience with your screen, you will have to go with a tempered glass. Unfortunately, Note 2 screen is curved toward the edges which creates a challenge for tempered glass screen protector (less flexibility) to stick to the edges. Spigen gave up on that, although they do have good PET film screen protectors, and MIME glass still has edge problems from what I hear even after 2nd gen design. I personally use Seidio VITREO tempered glass which is pricey and has big margin toward edges of the screen, but it works perfectly and just like a real N2 glass. You can find review in my LIST. If you want to go with a regular 3H hardness screen protector, I found iSmooth to be one of the best following by Spigen, imho.
Old July 12th, 2013, 01:02 PM   #475 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 2 Amber Brown, Galaxy Note 3 Jet Black Galaxy Camera 2
Carrier: EE, Unlocked, sim free, European

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jore View Post
I notice the difference also tbh so my new Note 2 is going without. I got it for 2 yrs now so I will get the benefit of the lovely screen instead of the person I sell it to in a couple of years
Old August 13th, 2013, 12:49 PM   #476 (permalink)
AF Addict

Has anybody tried the tempered glass protector offered through Sammobile?

Shop | SamMobile

It's made by GPEL? Only available for the S4 and Note 2.
Old August 13th, 2013, 06:06 PM   #477 (permalink)

I had purchased the MIME and still have it on, it has withstood a drop, but it does have scratches, tho minor, they are there and getting more over time.

The screen is responsive (took like a month after application).

Now I also ordered a seidio VITREO™ Tempered Glass Screen Guard for both my note II and my wifes sIII, I have not applied the vitreo yet to my note II, as I am waiting for more scratches on the MIME.

I did put the vitreo on my wifes phone and she hated the touch response, but I told her after a month it will get better then after 2 months it is not apparent anymore, but she dropped her sIII on our tile floor and the vitreo cracked so I put on the Phantom skin and she loves that, but it's funny that her dropping the sIII with the vitreo on it cracked, and me dropping my note II and it did not crack the Mime, it may just be how they both hit the floor or the mime is better? I guess its one of murphy's laws.

Now I have recently purchased a samsung galaxy note 10.1 and purchased for that a techmette amFilm (TM) Premium Screen Protector Film Clear (Invisible), 2 for $9 shipped amazon, and I love it better than all I have tried, especially for the price, it has not scratched for me yet either soooo......

The moral of this story (and my expense) is a cheap clear protector is best, when you actually find one. But as far as the dropping, I don't know (nor do I want to) what would have happened if the temper glass ones were not on.........
Old September 11th, 2013, 03:25 PM   #478 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default Do you use screen guard on your phones?

I have a perfectly fine screen guard (without any bubbles or anything) on my Galaxy note 2. But somehow today I saw a phone at one shop without the screen guard and the response of the screen and the texture quality of display felt really amazing.

I am now thinking about taking the screen guard off.

Do you think the quality of display gets somewhat compromised by a screen guard? (I am talking about the screen response and display quality)

Do you use a screen guard?

Should I take it off?
Old September 11th, 2013, 07:16 PM   #479 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note II

Send a message via Yahoo to pool_shark

I did use a screen protector early on, I can't remember why I removed it but I know it wasn't due to any type of performance issues.

Without it I definitely have to wipe the screen free of prints and smears a lot more.
Old December 19th, 2013, 02:56 AM   #480 (permalink)

Device(s):

Unhappy Oleophobic not working well with Note 3 S Pen

I bought Spigen Oleophobic screen protectors. The Oleophobic surface material feels quite sticky, which is alright when writing with your fingers, but the S Pen is inconvenient to write, not working well together with the Oleophobic type screen protector. Unfortunately you cannot even get better sliding spare nibs for the Note 3 S Pen, which are thinner than e.g. on Note 10.1. Based on my experience, I would not recommend Oleophobic for Note 3 S Pen users. Maybe Crystal Clear is better compatible?
sponsored links
Old December 19th, 2013, 03:34 AM   #481 (permalink)

Device(s):

Others have written earlier that Oleophobic would be better than Crystal for tactile experience... See pages 4 and 5.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Tags
screen protector

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2