Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Like Tree402Likes

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 12th, 2012, 11:57 AM   #501 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyalan15 View Post
Yep, this is about what I would suspect. Wonder if the HD benches are higher triangle count also? The Mali was always ahead of the game on Pixel pumping capability so the way it has fallen behind on these HD benches so far suggests to me they have made them more complex models also rather than just increase the pixel count. Basically I am guessing with the same games played in HD vs SD it's closer than these tests are suggesting and that the mali actually only starts to fall down as triangle counts in the model go up. Not really sure actual games will see greatly higher geometry count anytime soon is my point. Sure the benchmarks might, but if the actual stuff you use the thing for never does it's added power for nothing.

Not to mention the differences are probably more related to 28nm vs 32nm in the end. You can afford more GPU on 28nm. Still though, none of these players are being as GPU aggressive and willing to go with a bigger chip as Apple.

Advertisements
Last edited by jasaero; November 12th, 2012 at 12:09 PM.
sponsored links
Old November 12th, 2012, 11:57 AM   #502 (permalink)

Device(s):

The only thing keeping me from jumping ship from my Verizon Note 2 pre-order to the Verizon DNA is Samsung's Multi-View feature. To me, that is hands down the most useful feature. It should be a feature of stock android!

and so the wait continues....
Old November 12th, 2012, 03:01 PM   #503 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufio View Post
The only thing keeping me from jumping ship from my Verizon Note 2 pre-order to the Verizon DNA is Samsung's Multi-View feature. To me, that is hands down the most useful feature. It should be a feature of stock android!

and so the wait continues....

That and the battery life for me.
Old November 12th, 2012, 03:06 PM   #504 (permalink)

Device(s):

The battery life on the DNA may not be optimal...it's in the X family of devices, but I still have a horrible taste in my mouth from the Thunderbolt lolol
Old November 12th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #505 (permalink)

Device(s):

I have an Incredible and it's easily my favorite phone I've ever owned. But the battery life is horrendous. I even have an extended battery and still can not last me a whole day (8 hours)
Old November 12th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #506 (permalink)

Device(s):

I had one as a play thing from work didn't love it. But I never liked Sense.
Old November 12th, 2012, 04:01 PM   #507 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy S5, LG G2
Carrier: at&t

Even with 2500mAh battery, DNA will have to move a lot more 1080p screen pixels long enough. I think on-screen time will be substantially shorter than Note 2. 1080p screen will put a lot of strain on GPU than 720p too, so advantage of adreno320 over mali400 will be somewhat offset.
Old November 12th, 2012, 04:03 PM   #508 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitswes View Post
I have an Incredible and it's easily my favorite phone I've ever owned. But the battery life is horrendous. I even have an extended battery and still can not last me a whole day (8 hours)

me too. i have 3 batteries i walk around with!! BRING on the N2
Old November 12th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #509 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S4
Carrier: Verizon

Please don't blast me if this has been asked and answered 50 times. Any word on Verizon offering 32GB onboard storage? Or just the 16GB that is available now for preorder?
Old November 12th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #510 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Nexus 7, Droid DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn5975 View Post
Please don't blast me if this has been asked and answered 50 times. Any word on Verizon offering 32GB onboard storage? Or just the 16GB that is available now for preorder?
Just the 16. There has been no mention of a 32gb model on any US carrier.
The Following User Says Thank You to rivera02 For This Useful Post:
finn5975 (November 12th, 2012)
sponsored links
Old November 12th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #511 (permalink)

Device(s): Eclipsed GNex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandroidfan View Post
Even with 2500mAh battery, DNA will have to move a lot more 1080p screen pixels long enough. I think on-screen time will be substantially shorter than Note 2. 1080p screen will put a lot of strain on GPU than 720p too, so advantage of adreno320 over mali400 will be somewhat offset.
With both at 1080p the 320 still pulls ahead:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6386/samsung-galaxy-note-2-review-t-mobile-/3

Scroll down to Egypt HD at 1080 off screen. Look like I said before I think the note 2 will be a better all around device. That's why, for the first time in my android buying history, I'm forsaking pure horsepower for a better all around experience. I'm actually test driving a note 10.1 so I'm LOVING the s pen.
PetiePal likes this.
Old November 12th, 2012, 08:59 PM   #512 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Nexus (VZW), Motorola Xoom

One thing I miss from the GNex pre-release thread are all the "insider" leaks. Where are all the people whose aunt's third-cousin's college roommates now run the marketing department at Verizon? Or whose brother-in-law's niece's fiancee runs a small third-party store with access to some secret system? These were always such a great source for "info", more fun than phone-date-image interpretation and online CSR chats...
Old November 12th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #513 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshay View Post
One thing I miss from the GNex pre-release thread are all the "insider" leaks. Where are all the people whose aunt's third-cousin's college roommates now run the marketing department at Verizon? Or whose brother-in-law's niece's fiancee runs a small third-party store with access to some secret system? These were always such a great source for "info", more fun than phone-date-image interpretation and online CSR chats...
Funniest thing I read all day.
Old November 13th, 2012, 11:35 AM   #514 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic4672 View Post
With both at 1080p the 320 still pulls ahead:

AnandTech - Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Review (T-Mobile) - The Phablet Returns

Scroll down to Egypt HD at 1080 off screen.
I saw that review too. But my point is that Note 2 is at 720p, not 1080p. If they compare GL bench of Note 2 at 720p to DNA at 1080p, I bet the performance gap will be much smaller than those Egypt charts.

BTW, it turns out today that DNA has only 16Gb internal memory, fixed 2020mAh battery, what a joke!
IamReady, PetiePal and sic4672 like this.
Old November 13th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #515 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
I saw that review too. But my point is that Note 2 is at 720p, not 1080p. If they compare GL bench of Note 2 at 720p to DNA at 1080p, I bet the performance gap will be much smaller than those Egypt charts.

BTW, it turns out today that DNA has only 16Gb internal memory, fixed 2020mAh battery, what a joke!
This. Not impressed. A 16GB, non expandable, BEATS AUDIOLOLOLOLOLOLZ.

The processor is BEAST, but then again it's got NonSENSE-ical UI, and do I really need 1080p on a cellphone? :P
Old November 13th, 2012, 12:47 PM   #516 (permalink)

Device(s):

The only thing I have to go on lol is that a good friend of mine works for Verizon Wireless, in the cell tower sector of it. Setting up new LTE towers, retrograding older ones.

His boss has the new devices usually a month before they launch. He's had the Note 2 since October 15th.

He also had in the past, the Galaxy Nexus, The Bionic, the Thunderbolt and the X + X-2. So at least i know when he gets it, it's about a MONTH away LOL.
Old November 13th, 2012, 12:53 PM   #517 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid X, Samsung Note 2

Quote:

Yep, not interested. What a relief that it is not for me. I was torn between the two devices, Note 2 and DNA. Wanted it to be a great phone, but with TWO huge errors, No-Go.
Reality check: Quad Core, full HD screen. Multimedia machine right? I mean it has 11GB of memory after the OS and bloat... So, with two 4GB HD movies (720p) or two true BlueRay (1080p) moves at 8GB, that will hold a whopping 2-3 movies unless you have 2-4gb of music, couple pictures already on the phone. What a joke! Well, maybe not! If you have tiered data plan and want to stream a movie in true HD! at 8gb....wait, that doesn't work either. Ok, so you have unlimited data and the cloud is full of your 100gb of movies and you start watching them...wait, then your battery, all 2020mah if it, is dead after probably 2.

Glad I pre-ordered the Note 2 with it's 64gb memory card and 16GB internal (73GB usable?) and 3100 battery which is replaceable. This is a multimedia machine!

Dont get me wrong, if those two things were fixed in the DNA, I might have jumped ship.
HTC would have, could have, should have...
No money from me.
Last edited by serpa4; November 13th, 2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old November 13th, 2012, 12:57 PM   #518 (permalink)

Device(s):

You know though I have a tablet if I want to watch movies lol. Just ordered a Nexus 10 for the gf for xmas, she's gonna flip when she sees it.
Old November 13th, 2012, 01:08 PM   #519 (permalink)

Tablets are great, but I just cannot have that many devices. I remember the old days. Desk top (gaming), Laptop (work, not powerful), PDA, BlueTooth GPS receiver to bond to the PDA since they didn't have GPS in the day, and a flip phone. The funny thing was the car trips and actually carrying 4 devices (phone, GPS module, PDA, laptop). Those were the "heavy" days.
Old November 13th, 2012, 01:15 PM   #520 (permalink)

Device(s):

For me I have the smartphone, (Galaxy Nexus for about 2 more weeks!), a Moto XOOM, and an iPad 3. Good for now I'd say that I'd use my XOOM more if it was faster.
sponsored links
Old November 13th, 2012, 01:19 PM   #521 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetiePal View Post
The only thing I have to go on lol is that a good friend of mine works for Verizon Wireless, in the cell tower sector of it. Setting up new LTE towers, retrograding older ones.

His boss has the new devices usually a month before they launch. He's had the Note 2 since October 15th.

He also had in the past, the Galaxy Nexus, The Bionic, the Thunderbolt and the X + X-2. So at least i know when he gets it, it's about a MONTH away LOL.
But your friend can't tell you when it's being released?
Old November 13th, 2012, 01:23 PM   #522 (permalink)

Device(s):

His boss doesn't know honestly. They don't know the dates but from exp. when he has the device, it's usually a month later.
Old November 13th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #523 (permalink)

DNA got killer screen and powerful GPU but those two drawbacks (16Gb internal only, small fixed battery) are huge. They got ton of complaints on those for One X and it seems HTC doesn't bother to listen. No wonder they are badly sinking on sales, profit.
And it seems more like GS3 competitor with that size but I'm sure Sammy will smoke it with GS4 easily Spring next year.
ScandaLeX likes this.
Old November 13th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #524 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
DNA got killer screen and powerful GPU but those two drawbacks (16Gb internal only, small fixed battery) are huge. They got ton of complaints on those for One X and it seems HTC doesn't bother to listen. No wonder they are badly sinking on sales, profit.
And it seems more like GS3 competitor with that size but I'm sure Sammy will smoke it with GS4 easily Spring next year.
Battery could be HTC, but not sure expandable storage is. J Butterfly has mSD and this seems to be missing it. That could very well be a VZW decision since they get peeps on limited data in many cases by hawking these things with subsidy.
Old November 13th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #525 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
Battery could be HTC, but not sure expandable storage is. J Butterfly has mSD and this seems to be missing it. That could very well be a VZW decision since they get peeps on limited data in many cases by hawking these things with subsidy.
I suspected the same thing once I heard it was lacking an SD slot. Remember this is the same company that used to disable wifi on its devices to force you to use data. If the DNA had come with expandable memory I would have cancelled my GN2 preorder today.
Old November 13th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #526 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid X (Stolen) OG Droid Galaxy Note II (soon to be)

HTC's Brainstorming Meeting.

"Gentlemen, We need a new Verizon phone" HTC CEO
"I know, the One X" HTC 1
"No, bigger" HTC 2
"Fine, HTC One X...+.." HTC 1
"No! How about the DROID DNA by HTC" Verizon Rep
"GENIUS" HTC CEO

And that's how it happens

~C
Old November 13th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #527 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwagner88 View Post
I suspected the same thing once I heard it was lacking an SD slot. Remember this is the same company that used to disable wifi on its devices to force you to use data. If the DNA had come with expandable memory I would have cancelled my GN2 preorder today.
Yep. Going forward I think you are going to have to rely on OEMs like Samsung that force the device they think you want most on the networks rather than allowing networks to define these exclusive devices that will be speced out how the network tends to prefer.

Another reason I left for TMo. Their AWS LTE with 850/1900 UMTS should be more broadly available in random unlocked devices going forward.
Old November 13th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #528 (permalink)

Device(s): Formerly a Droid X, now a Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Big Red

Getting this phone as an early Christmas gift from my parents and I cannot wait! I've had my Droid X for just about two years and it's hanging on by a thread. I just need it to last me till the GN2 ships...
Morpeeeenote likes this.
Old November 13th, 2012, 06:32 PM   #529 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allwoods5 View Post
Getting this phone as an early Christmas gift from my parents and I cannot wait! I've had my Droid X for just about two years and it's hanging on by a thread. I just need it to last me till the GN2 ships...
This is my exact predicament. Minus the early Christmas and a Droid X (It had to have gotten stolen)

~C
Old November 13th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #530 (permalink)

Device(s): Soon to be SGN2!

I'm going through a depression stage... With no one to turn too lol. Is there an official launch date for the DNA? It'll be a million years after that for the SGN2!
PetiePal and treb1797 like this.
sponsored links
Old November 13th, 2012, 09:24 PM   #531 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Thanked 2,842 Times in 2,180 Posts
Unhappy Time Stand Still

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpeeeenote View Post
I'm going through a depression stage.

It seems like the 27th gets further & further away everyday.
Old November 13th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #532 (permalink)

Device(s):

that POS HTC DNA now shows as shipping on 11/16 on VZW's site

total BS
Old November 13th, 2012, 09:46 PM   #533 (permalink)

Device(s):

They can enjoy the terrible battery life
BleedingPurist likes this.
Old November 13th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #534 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 2!

I'm surprised that Verizon is releasing the DNA and N2 within two weeks of each other. I think there will be a lot of DNA returns....
Old November 13th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #535 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdalcanto View Post
I'm surprised that Verizon is releasing the DNA and N2 within two weeks of each other. I think there will be a lot of DNA returns....
Honestly I don't think there will be a lot of DNA returns. The fact of the matter is the DNA is cheaper, smaller and has a better screen. Most people shop with their eyes and buy things that look good. That screen on the DNA will draw a lot of people in. The average consumer doesn't give 2 craps about the technical specs like we all do. If you start talking processor speeds and mAh and ppi, the average consumer will get completely lost and have no clue what you are talking about.
serpa4 and ScandaLeX like this.
Old November 14th, 2012, 12:47 AM   #536 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by treb1797 View Post

It seems like the 27th gets further & further away everyday.
Especially when something else is released before it.
I could look at it like Verizon hates Samsung or look at it like Verizon is trying to create enough anxiety that sales of the Note II go threw the roof.
The Following User Says Thank You to ScandaLeX For This Useful Post:
treb1797 (November 14th, 2012)
Old November 14th, 2012, 01:20 AM   #537 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandaLeX View Post
I could look at it like Verizon hates Samsung or look at it like Verizon is trying to create enough anxiety that sales of the Note II go threw the roof.
I for one just don't understand it....... Samsung vs. HTC. Really? Samsung is much more innovative IMO. I just don't like HTC. I originally purchased the Incredible when it was first released and returned it within a week. I've learned my lesson and will never purchase HTC product again.
Old November 14th, 2012, 01:40 AM   #538 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by menmyjeep View Post
I for one just don't understand it....... Samsung vs. HTC. Really? Samsung is much more innovative IMO. I just don't like HTC. I originally purchased the Incredible when it was first released and returned it within a week. I've learned my lesson and will never purchase HTC product again.
My first HTC phone was the Hero then Evo (great phones). The Evo 3D (side step; no upgrade IMO) killed my HTC relationship.
Old November 14th, 2012, 04:46 AM   #539 (permalink)

It's because it is a Droid. VZW is all about the name Droid. Otherwise it is back of the bus.
Old November 14th, 2012, 05:21 AM   #540 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 2

Quote:
I don't think Verizon hates Samsung or they are trying to build anxiety for the phones release, I think Verizon is taking longer than other carriers because it is taking longer for Samsung to make Verizon's version of the phone. The fact that Verizon branded the home button I'm sure is slowing down the production of their models because its one extra step Samsung has to take to get the phones out the door and to Verizon.
PetiePal likes this.
sponsored links
Old November 14th, 2012, 06:09 AM   #541 (permalink)

Quote:
I agree with ScandaLeX completely for this. Knowing how Verizon operates, it seems highly likely they would do something like this

~C
Old November 14th, 2012, 06:53 AM   #542 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkhalil06 View Post
that POS HTC DNA now shows as shipping on 11/16 on VZW's site

total BS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdalcanto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiXoLoGiSt View Post
I don't think Verizon hates Samsung or they are trying to build anxiety for the phones release, I think Verizon is taking longer than other carriers because it is taking longer for Samsung to make Verizon's version of the phone. The fact that Verizon branded the home button I'm sure is slowing down the production of their models because its one extra step Samsung has to take to get the phones out the door and to Verizon.
The above three posts were never part of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus nonsense I guess?? I bet we can find the exact same posts by different peeps back in that thread. Verizon doesn't like devices they somehow are tricked into selling. There is a reason the GNex was the first and probably LAST Nexus device that will work on VZW in awhile. The Galaxy line from samsung that is now pushed out on all networks as much at once as possible is something else Verizon doesn't like. I think they are more OK with he iPhone cause they knew they were losing customers without it and Apple is a more closed up tightly controlled setup just like them.

Quote:
Honestly I don't think there will be a lot of DNA returns. The fact of the matter is the DNA is cheaper, smaller and has a better screen. Most people shop with their eyes and buy things that look good. That screen on the DNA will draw a lot of people in. The average consumer doesn't give 2 craps about the technical specs like we all do. If you start talking processor speeds and mAh and ppi, the average consumer will get completely lost and have no clue what you are talking about.
This is what VZW is banking. Get the brunt of contract switches over the holidays on this device. I don't know the reasoning, but I figure the fact the Galaxy Note is a hugely desired device and not something made special for them means they somehow make less margin in how the parts are all costed out to them.
Old November 14th, 2012, 07:11 AM   #543 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note

I got my Samsung galaxy note 2 and I have a query regarding voice command for applications.
I have seen such facility in Samsung galaxy S3 but not finding the same in note 2.
Help me please!
Old November 14th, 2012, 10:04 AM   #544 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeevk View Post
I got my Samsung galaxy note 2 and I have a query regarding voice command for applications.
I have seen such facility in Samsung galaxy S3 but not finding the same in note 2.
Help me please!
Your Note 2 from Verizon?? You are in a Verizon thread here...
Old November 14th, 2012, 10:12 AM   #545 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Quote:
I honestly don't believe the branding has anything at all to do with it because as images leaked, you could clearly see Verizon's stamp all over it and phones agent made one at a time. They're mass produced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
The above three posts were never part of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus nonsense I guess?? I bet we can find the exact same posts by different peeps back in that thread. Verizon doesn't like devices they somehow are tricked into selling.....
I'm unfamiliar with all things Gnex. Have never wanted one so I'm kind of clueless regarding anything related to Verizon and that phone.
Old November 14th, 2012, 10:51 AM   #546 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
I'm unfamiliar with all things Gnex. Have never wanted one so I'm kind of clueless regarding anything related to Verizon and that phone.
The lead up to the Google announcement of it and then drama related to the VZW version basically being outted by google and then no actual release details ever being announced created one of the longest and most active threads ever on this forum. The Moto RAZR was a total unknown for a good part of the hoopla, but ended up being announced and available almost a full month before the GNex.

After the RAZR debacle was understood and that it would be first out of nowhere, a huge email and twitter assault happened to get some sorta official word from VZW on the device. They finally said in a press release it would be out before the end of the year. It was obvious all along that aspects of it were being negotiated with Google up until the just before it released. We know the GNote 2 has the VZW button, but there are probably other things being negotiated that have held it up just because VZW wants to be a pain about it rather than happily taking the device ASAP and making the customers that desire it happy. In the mean time it won't compete with devices they have had a lot more control over such as the Droid line.
Old November 14th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #547 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Thanked 2,842 Times in 2,180 Posts

Verizon’s Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Spotted on Display at Best Buy Stores – Droid Life

Nice !!!
Morpeeeenote likes this.
Old November 14th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #548 (permalink)

Device(s): Soon to be SGN2!

So today I busted through the doors of my local big red store and demanded to know when my Note would be here. He looked at me confused and shocked. Then preceded to tell me if I needed a phone now, the new HTC DNA would be out. ugh kill me now please! I just want my precious note lol
sic4672, Bonez and Jocelyn84 like this.
Old November 14th, 2012, 01:30 PM   #549 (permalink)

Device(s):

Yeah like a locked bootloader, permission to print logos all over and first child rights ;P
Old November 14th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #550 (permalink)

Device(s):

On a related note (pun definitely not intended), the Verizon version in Best Buy stores already has the multi-window feature up and running.

There's your delay.
sic4672 and treb1797 like this.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2