Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Riverdome
  • 1 Post By Citizen Coyote
  • 1 Post By ScandaLeX

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 25th, 2012, 02:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
matt190191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chester, UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 209
 
Device(s): Sony Xperia Z
Carrier: O2

Thanks: 17
Thanked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Default Samsung galaxy Note 2 Major battery drain!

I've had my Note 2 for about five days now and I noticed as I was using the note 2 its battery seems to drain rapidly I have everything turned off in the toggle bar except wifi & screen rotation. I'm not really using any heavy apps either. My note 2 fully charges within about an hour which is good I suppose. The battery on my note can drop from 60% to 50% within about 15/20 minutes which I don't think is normal. I've just come from a galaxy S3 and it had the same problem at first from what I can remember.
Who knows I might just have to wear the battery in.
Anyone else had a similar problem?

Advertisements
__________________
If I've helped please Click "Thanks!"
Sony Xperia Z 4.1.2
matt190191 is offline  
Last edited by matt190191; October 25th, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 25th, 2012, 04:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North Wales, UK
Posts: 322
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note II SIM Free. GT-N7100. OS 4.1.2 JB
Carrier: UK '3' Network

Thanks: 244
Thanked 82 Times in 71 Posts
Default

I suggest you check that it goes into 'deep sleep' by using CPUspy. If it does not, try removing downloaded apps and disabling the pre-installed ones, until it does enter deep sleep.


It may also be useful to check out the following thread on the Note 1 forum but be very cautious of the suggestion to adjust the setting at "settings/Developer options/Background process limit/set to No background processes." I can't remember the details but it caused problems when I tried it.

I think I solved the ICS fast battery drain... simple solution
PiscesCloud is online now  
Last edited by PiscesCloud; October 26th, 2012 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Added link to Note 1 forum
Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 04:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
matt190191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chester, UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 209
 
Device(s): Sony Xperia Z
Carrier: O2

Thanks: 17
Thanked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiscesCloud View Post
I suggest you check that it goes into 'deep sleep' by using CPUspy. If it does, not try removing downloaded apps and disabling the pre-installed ones, until it does enter deep sleep.


It may also be useful to check out the following thread on the Note 1 forum but be very cautious of the suggestion to adjust the setting at "settings/Developer options/Background process limit/set to No background processes." I can't remember the details but it caused problems when I tried it.

I think I solved the ICS fast battery drain... simple solution

matt190191 is offline  
Last edited by matt190191; October 25th, 2012 at 04:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 06:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wasn't Me
 
ScandaLeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PhiLLy
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,804
 
Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Thanks: 1,161
Thanked 943 Times in 614 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt190191 View Post
I've had my Note 2 for about five days now and I noticed as I was using the note 2 its battery seems to drain rapidly I have everything turned off in the toggle bar except wifi & screen rotation. I'm not really using any heavy apps either. My note 2 fully charges within about an hour which is good I suppose. The battery on my note can drop from 60% to 50% within about 15/20 minutes which I don't think is normal. I've just come from a galaxy S3 and it had the same problem at first from what I can remember.
Who knows I might just have to wear the battery in.
Anyone else had a similar problem?
You're the common denominator. 2 different phones same problem. May possibly be an app you had on both devices causing the excessive drain.
ScandaLeX is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ScandaLeX For This Useful Post:
BillJr106 (October 26th, 2012)
Old October 25th, 2012, 08:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dave1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 732
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Samsung Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 84
Thanked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt190191 View Post
I've had my Note 2 for about five days now and I noticed as I was using the note 2 its battery seems to drain rapidly I have everything turned off in the toggle bar except wifi & screen rotation. I'm not really using any heavy apps either. My note 2 fully charges within about an hour which is good I suppose. The battery on my note can drop from 60% to 50% within about 15/20 minutes which I don't think is normal. I've just come from a galaxy S3 and it had the same problem at first from what I can remember.
Who knows I might just have to wear the battery in.
Anyone else had a similar problem?
it's there a safe mode to try?
dave1812 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 07:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
matt190191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chester, UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 209
 
Device(s): Sony Xperia Z
Carrier: O2

Thanks: 17
Thanked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandaLeX View Post
You're the common denominator. 2 different phones same problem. May possibly be an app you had on both devices causing the excessive drain.
Yes my galaxy S3 was like it for the first couple of days then it got better. But I can't remember it draining as fast as it is on my note 2. And I mainly have games on my Note 2. Not really any apps that run in the background.
matt190191 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 08:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 41
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Games shouldn't run in the background, doesn't mean one of them isn't.
ScandaLeX likes this.
Riverdome is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 09:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
matt190191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chester, UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 209
 
Device(s): Sony Xperia Z
Carrier: O2

Thanks: 17
Thanked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdome View Post
Games shouldn't run in the background, doesn't mean one of them isn't.
That's what I'm saying.. I only have games on my Note other than the apps that shipped with it. The Games in have installed don't run in the background I've already checked l. Which is why I can't understand the battery drain..
matt190191 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 09:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Citizen Coyote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 595
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, Motorola Photon 4G (2.3.4 w/root)
Carrier: T-Mobile, Sprint

Thanks: 163
Thanked 213 Times in 149 Posts
Default

You could always do a factory reset and use the phone stock for a few days and see how it acts. If it continues to drain abnormally, get it replaced. If not, then you know one of the apps is the culprit. Install a few at a time and see how it goes. Eventually you'll narrow it down.
twospirits likes this.
__________________

Motorola
- Kickapoo word for "broken promise."
Citizen Coyote is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 10:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
matt190191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chester, UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 209
 
Device(s): Sony Xperia Z
Carrier: O2

Thanks: 17
Thanked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Coyote View Post
You could always do a factory reset and use the phone stock for a few days and see how it acts. If it continues to drain abnormally, get it replaced. If not, then you know one of the apps is the culprit. Install a few at a time and see how it goes. Eventually you'll narrow it down.
I'll Give that a try now.
I was using Nova launcher from the playstore on my Note 2 which could be the problem.

thanks
matt190191 is offline  
Last edited by matt190191; October 26th, 2012 at 10:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 26th, 2012, 11:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
Wasn't Me
 
ScandaLeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PhiLLy
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,804
 
Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Thanks: 1,161
Thanked 943 Times in 614 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt190191 View Post
I'll Give that a try now.
I was using Nova launcher from the playstore on my Note 2 which could be the problem.

thanks
Let us know how it (factory reset) works out for you. I do it to all my new devices before installing anything. I don't care that it's fresh out the box.
ScandaLeX is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 12:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Bonez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 214
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note II, Asus Transformer Infinity
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 204
Thanked 218 Times in 108 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonez
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt190191 View Post
I have everything turned off in the toggle bar except wifi
The highlighted part above is part of the problem. I did tests on my Razr Maxx and witnessed double the battery drain with just having WiFi enabled.

Even not using WiFi, it's still searching for a WiFi signal and using more battery than it would if it was disabled. Turn WiFi completely off when not in use, and use WiFi as little as possible unless you're plugged in.

If you're going to use WiFi for any length of time, it is best to have a spare battery or plug your phone in to charge it.
__________________
-Matt-

Galaxy Note II on Verizon
Asus Transformer Infinity

Bonez is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonez For This Useful Post:
jonmwood (October 26th, 2012)
Old October 26th, 2012, 12:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
matt190191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chester, UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 209
 
Device(s): Sony Xperia Z
Carrier: O2

Thanks: 17
Thanked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandaLeX View Post
Let us know how it (factory reset) works out for you. I do it to all my new devices before installing anything. I don't care that it's fresh out the box.
Factory reset seems to be working great in terms of battery life. I've been on 70% for about 20 minutes now. where as before the reset I would have been on about 60%. I dont know what the problem was but I can already notice the difference.


Thanks
matt190191 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 12:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 67
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 38
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
The highlighted part above is part of the problem. I did tests on my Razr Maxx and witnessed double the battery drain with just having WiFi enabled.

Even not using WiFi, it's still searching for a WiFi signal and using more battery than it would if it was disabled. Turn WiFi completely off when not in use, and use WiFi as little as possible unless you're plugged in.

If you're going to use WiFi for any length of time, it is best to have a spare battery or plug your phone in to charge it.
Anyone verify this with Note 2? DOUBLE battery drain from just WIFI. I can see how it zaps more battery, but double even on Note 2?
jonmwood is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 12:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wasn't Me
 
ScandaLeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PhiLLy
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,804
 
Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Thanks: 1,161
Thanked 943 Times in 614 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
The highlighted part above is part of the problem. I did tests on my Razr Maxx and witnessed double the battery drain with just having WiFi enabled.

Even not using WiFi, it's still searching for a WiFi signal and using more battery than it would if it was disabled. Turn WiFi completely off when not in use, and use WiFi as little as possible unless you're plugged in.

If you're going to use WiFi for any length of time, it is best to have a spare battery or plug your phone in to charge it.
I keep wifi/bt on 24/7 and barely any drain what'soever. I haven't had a spare battery in years.
drexappeal likes this.
ScandaLeX is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ScandaLeX For This Useful Post:
drexappeal (October 31st, 2012)
Old October 26th, 2012, 01:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 73
 
Device(s): 64GB Marble White Samsung Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 51 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt190191 View Post
I've had my Note 2 for about five days now and I noticed as I was using the note 2 its battery seems to drain rapidly I have everything turned off in the toggle bar except wifi & screen rotation. I'm not really using any heavy apps either. My note 2 fully charges within about an hour which is good I suppose. The battery on my note can drop from 60% to 50% within about 15/20 minutes which I don't think is normal. I've just come from a galaxy S3 and it had the same problem at first from what I can remember.
Who knows I might just have to wear the battery in.
Anyone else had a similar problem?
Your comment about how your battery charges sticks out like a sore thumb to me. One hour charge is not possible even in the most optimal situation. The battery should charge to 100% with it turned off, though the AC in about 1.5-2.5 hours. Use a different charger, if the charger is the problem, it should charge slower, to excruciating slow depending on how you were charging before. But let it charge to 100%. Charge it over USB on your computer if you don't have a second charger. This should take 8.5 hours if your phone is on.

If the above shouldn't work, maybe it could be your battery. Maybe it is damaged. Doesn't look like an app/process is causing it. Does it get really hot? If not, most likely it is not the cpu. I imagine if the phone can burn through 50% battery in 15 minutes, it would get pretty noticeably hot...not just warm.
Lucidmike is offline  
Last edited by Xyro; November 6th, 2012 at 10:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.