Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Like Tree190Likes

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 3rd, 2013, 09:09 PM   #301 (permalink)
AF's janitor

Device(s): currently using... Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Note II Sony NSZ-GS7 Google TV
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 4,679 Times in 1,745 Posts
twospirits411@gmail.com

not everyone will be satisfied when it comes to accessories. Some like rugged big cases others like to go naked (the device, not the person, but then again...) Others like the idea of having a kickstand in their cases others don't. Depending on the manufacturer some make sturdier kickstand that don't break easily.

Either way, I myself like the idea of kickstands (even though I like my Note with a flip cover only to keep it as thin as possible) but there are times I want to place the device on the table and use my hands for something else (cooking, washing, etc) with a kickstand, just pop it out, without one I would have to find something to hold up the phone.

regardless, I won't be satisifed until I find a cover that extends into a tripod stand.

TS

Advertisements
Members, want to make this place better, just ask the staff. Remember, the "No' is always there, you are just looking for the "Yes". and please read the guidelines, otherwise you may end up in Banlandia.

Google + and twitter user.
Click below for image/list of devices...

sponsored links
Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:02 PM   #302 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 2 and iPhone 4s
Carrier: Rogers

Default Requesting update, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
All good, Mix! No hard feelings. That's why we come here to this forum to express our opinion, to share our experience, and sometimes to bust

I do agree, if kickstand sticking out too much - it takes away from the shape of the case. I do like how its discrete on my cheapo eBay case (Best case for note 2?) and blends in with a design. But it also works against it when I place my case on the back and loose a friction/grip with a surface due to an uneven back side of the case. Worries me sometimes that I can swipe it off the table (but than, case is rugged ). I'm waiting for another cheapo knock off case soon to be released (just talked to the company off line) where they are copying Otterbox design with plastic case on the inside and rubber case on the outside. It supposed to have recessed kick stand as well, although I'm not sure about it until they have it available toward the end of the month. Will post pics once I get it.

Oh, btw I'm don't like Seidio kickstand approach either. If you do have kickstand, have it in the middle of the case to balance the phone. Otherwise, while you have it standing up with a kickstand, you will not be able to touch the screen without knocking the phone down.
I ordered the exact same case a week ago purely on its design compared to Seido and Otter. I didn't like Seido's stand off-centre. Didn't like Otter Defender's built-in screen protector, Commuter didn't have kickstand and both cost way more than the one I ordered. Please update us or PM me if you don't mind once you get more info on the upcoming case. Thanks and all the best for 2013. Cheers.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:13 PM   #303 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Not Provided

To chime in on kickstands, I don't like them on my cases as well. However on round-trip Southwest flight for Christmas, I was trying to watch a movie on the food tray by simply holding the phone. Kept switching hands as the hands get tired after a few mins. Then tried to prop it up against anything (magazines, books, drink container etc) but was unsuccessful as phone kept sliding. The stranger sitting across from me saw my struggles and offered up his camera case which was hollow enough to sit my phone inside and view my movie comfortably.

Basically, now I'm probably gonna get a real cheap case on eBay with a horizontal view kickstand that I can use when travelling. Or maybe someone knows of any kind of phone or case attachment or contraption that can be purchased that will hold a phone on a flat surface and at an angle (preferably adjustable) for use when travelling or at work or school or home etc?
Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:05 PM   #304 (permalink)
AF Addict

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi

Thanked 2,837 Times in 1,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlesauce View Post
To chime in on kickstands, I don't like them on my cases as well. However on round-trip Southwest flight for Christmas, I was trying to watch a movie on the food tray by simply holding the phone. Kept switching hands as the hands get tired after a few mins. Then tried to prop it up against anything (magazines, books, drink container etc) but was unsuccessful as phone kept sliding. The stranger sitting across from me saw my struggles and offered up his camera case which was hollow enough to sit my phone inside and view my movie comfortably.

Basically, now I'm probably gonna get a real cheap case on eBay with a horizontal view kickstand that I can use when travelling. Or maybe someone knows of any kind of phone or case attachment or contraption that can be purchased that will hold a phone on a flat surface and at an angle (preferably adjustable) for use when travelling or at work or school or home etc?
Do you prefer not having a case or just not having a kickstand?

If you prefer not having a case, I had mentioned in the accessories thread, a kickstand clip that can be attached to a keychain and can be used when needed. Probably more of what you're looking for and not expensive at all.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:38 PM   #305 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Note 2- Titanium Grey
Carrier: Wifi only device

I totally miss having a stand like I had with the Thunderbolt.
I am using the defender right now and if the right case came along with a stand I would get it.

Edit- thank you amazon.

Amazon.com: smartphone stand: Cell Phones & Accessories

Ended up buying this.
http://www.amazon.com/Rabbit-Portable-iPhone-Samsung-Smartphones/dp/B0051J1JZA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
Last edited by acura9927; January 3rd, 2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:57 PM   #306 (permalink)

Device(s):

I am using the Seidio Active Case and holster combo. At first the soft rubber part seemed to slick and I was disappointed but after using it a week it has become more sticky and easier to hold. Better grip so it doesn't fly out of my hand. I love the holster and case combo as its protection and not to bulky. I keep it long side of the phone parallel to my belt and it is ok. Only knocked it to the ground one time when it got hung up on a chair. The phone slides in and out of the holster easily and feels very secure when snapped in place. The one thing that i done like is the soft rubber part between the usb and the glass. The rubber strip between is very thin and when putting it in the holster it pulls away from the phone. The opposite end is the same but with no charger hole at the top its somewhat stronger. They should have made the hard plastic shell hold the phone at those two places for support when putting the phone away into the holster. For now im happy.I saw the defender case and holster on a guys hip and it almost looked like he was carrying a laptop on his belt.
Old January 4th, 2013, 01:55 AM   #307 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
Do you prefer not having a case or just not having a kickstand?

If you prefer not having a case, I had mentioned in the accessories thread, a kickstand clip that can be attached to a keychain and can be used when needed. Probably more of what you're looking for and not expensive at all.
Prefer not having a kickstand on my case. I already have a case for my $750 investment.

I decided to order one of the portable key-chain kickstands you mentioned on eBay. Will see how it works. Thanks.
Old January 4th, 2013, 02:05 AM   #308 (permalink)

Device(s):

I love my Otterbox Commuter and could not ever see my phone in any other case.
Old January 4th, 2013, 10:48 AM   #309 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5; Samsung Galaxy S5
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by acura9927 View Post
I totally miss having a stand like I had with the Thunderbolt.
I am using the defender right now and if the right case came along with a stand I would get it.
The defender's holster doubles as a stand.
Old January 4th, 2013, 11:46 AM   #310 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Interesting since I've never had a kickstand break.
As for "most people" I think that's not accurate as none of us have a clue what most people do.
I use my kickstand ALL the time and when watching a movie on my phone I don't sit here holding the phone.
sponsored links
Old January 4th, 2013, 11:50 AM   #311 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notetwo View Post
I love my Otterbox Commuter and could not ever see my phone in any other case.
+1
Old January 4th, 2013, 06:53 PM   #312 (permalink)

Device(s): Marble White Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks to this thread and poster in my intro thread, I found out about the Glacier Commuter case and managed to cancel my Samsung case order just in time to order a commuter from Amazon cause they only had 6 left!
Old January 4th, 2013, 07:19 PM   #313 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr0stTr0n View Post
Thanks to this thread and poster in my intro thread, I found out about the Glacier Commuter case and managed to cancel my Samsung case order just in time to order a commuter from Amazon cause they only had 6 left!
Should have got both. Honestly, the Samsung case is nice for when you really just want something thin and protective. I have the Samsung case and the Body Glove TPU case from Sprint and both are great at protecting all parts of the phone while still keeping a thin profile.
Old January 4th, 2013, 07:28 PM   #314 (permalink)

*shrug* I still have 50% coupon for Samsung accesories through store if I change my mind but the Otterbox commuter Glacier looks so damn nice though and has port covers and included screen protector which is a big bonus. Ordered one from amazon for $35 w/shipping

Old January 4th, 2013, 09:11 PM   #315 (permalink)

Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2, S5
Carrier: V

I would buy Commuter in a heartbeat if it would have kickstand Otherwise, maybe it can be used with something like this: GripTight Micro Stand for iPhone, Android and Windows Smartphones which might work as a stand and a grip (when used without tripod attachment). Anything with a steady grip, which is non-permanent, would probably be a good enhancement to Commuter.

I'm actually hoping that in the next month we will see more case choices from other reputable vendors and eBay cheapo knockoffs. Its about time for them to realize that GN2 is selling in volumes!
Old January 4th, 2013, 09:18 PM   #316 (permalink)
AF Addict

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi

Thanked 2,837 Times in 1,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlesauce View Post
Prefer not having a kickstand on my case. I already have a case for my $750 investment.

I decided to order one of the portable key-chain kickstands you mentioned on eBay. Will see how it works. Thanks.
I don't have my other Note 2 with me, but it works well in landscape, but definitely too heavy in portrait.
Old January 4th, 2013, 09:26 PM   #317 (permalink)

Just looked closer at Otterbox Commuter (including some YT links), and still fail to see how is it any better than case I got from eBay Best case for note 2?

Maybe I'm naive trying to convince myself about $6.99 (and trust me, money is not an issue), or maybe I should order Commuter just to try it out for comparison, but honestly I don't see any difference, and actually find kickstand as a bonus (for my own personal use).
Old January 4th, 2013, 10:48 PM   #318 (permalink)

Ewww, don't like that linked case at all visual wise. The big difference is quality of materials used, especially polycorbanate cases and the quality of the silicon/rubber used in the case. And yes, the Otterbox "name" will also command a higher price, such is the nature of marketing.

Case in point, I found this case at my local mall in a small kiosk that sells a bunch of different cases, especially Iphone *no surprise* This SAME case they had marked up to $20 but it only shows up at $3.50 at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-HYBO-SK-Hybrid-Kickstand-Samsung/dp/B009UWAIEC/ref=sr_1_8?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1357361439&sr=1-8&keywords=note+2+case

The plastic felt very brittle, the stand felt like it would break off after a few uses and the silicon was very cheaply made all around in comparison to the Case Mate Pop! I had earlier for my Note 2.

The other cases I looked at for the Note 2 had very cheap looking "spray on" paint on cheap two piece plastic cases that "Looked" good but sure as hell didn't have any rubber cushioning or button protection or ANYTHING other then making your phone looked "blinged" out.

In short, you get what you pay for
Last edited by Fr0stTr0n; January 4th, 2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old January 5th, 2013, 07:15 AM   #319 (permalink)

Device(s): LG Ally, Droid X, HTC Rezound, LG Spectrum, Galaxy S3

Quote:
Just looked closer at Otterbox Commuter (including some YT links), and still fail to see how is it any better than case I got from eBay Best case for note 2?

Maybe I'm naive trying to convince myself about $6.99 (and trust me, money is not an issue), or maybe I should order Commuter just to try it out for comparison, but honestly I don't see any difference, and actually find kickstand as a bonus (for my own personal use).
I have the same case in white. I feel it provides adequate protection for me and it looks much better than the Otterbox. I like the kickstand.

I saw a video of a guy doing the drop test with both the Defender and Commuter. He ended up hurling his phone off his roof. After about the 3rd time be busted his phone up. But he had to work hard to do it. The "normal" drop scenarios he duplicated were impressive with no damage anywhere on the phone with either the Defender or the Commuter.

So, I am convinced that if you want a case that offers the best protection, you want an Otterbox. I would have one on my phone if they had one with a flip cover. The protective screen cover isn't enough protection for when the phone is in my purse. I worry about it banging up against something and the screen getting cracked. I modified my Amazon kickstand case to fit with the OEM flip cover. I feel it's a good amount of protection. I'm sure it wouldnt survive being hurled off a rooftop but I'll just stay off the roof.
Old January 5th, 2013, 09:53 AM   #320 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corki2 View Post
...I modified my Amazon kickstand case to fit with the OEM flip cover. I feel it's a good amount of protection. I'm sure it wouldnt survive being hurled off a rooftop but I'll just stay off the roof.
Interesting. Do you mind taking a picture of how it looks combined/modifed? I assume you are talking about OEM flip cover and similar rugged hybrid case I posted in my review? I'm waiting for one of those OEM flip covers (as part of Sammy giveaway), and wondering how would it work with that case. Did you have to cut some pieces out? I mean, the lip of the case around the screen will prevent flip cover from opening? Thanks!
sponsored links
Old January 5th, 2013, 10:29 AM   #321 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr0stTr0n View Post
In short, you get what you pay for
So does that mean $20 case you saw at the mall was of a better quality than one from Amazon for $3.50?

I do agree with all of your points. I have ordered already a few cheap eBay cases and have seen their poor quality; so I do have a point of reference. Trust me, this particular one I'm talking about has high quality inner soft silicone layer and hard rubberized outer plastic - most likely the same high impact polycarb case, flexible with enough strength rigidity. It does wraps around similar to Commuter case and offers the same protection. I wish any of the local stores would carry Commuter for me to try it out for A/B comparison; I hope BB will start carrying it soon cause I would hate to order/return from Amazon just for test purpose.
Old January 5th, 2013, 02:16 PM   #322 (permalink)

Quote:
Interesting. Do you mind taking a picture of how it looks combined/modifed? I assume you are talking about OEM flip cover and similar rugged hybrid case I posted in my review? I'm waiting for one of those OEM flip covers (as part of Sammy giveaway), and wondering how would it work with that case. Did you have to cut some pieces out? I mean, the lip of the case around the screen will prevent flip cover from opening? Thanks!
Yes I had to cut the kickstand rubber bumper and the wrap around plastic piece on the flip side. Another guy modded his by cutting a hole for that flip side plastic piece but I didn't want to cut my flip case. I have several flip cases in different colors and they all look great with the white bumper case.
uploadfromtaptalk1357416799712.jpguploadfromtaptalk1357416826900.jpguploadfromtaptalk1357416853596.jpguploadfromtaptalk1357416869373.jpg
twospirits, twister6 and g2manhou like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Corki2 For This Useful Post:
ren857 (January 5th, 2013)
Old January 5th, 2013, 04:45 PM   #323 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung galaxy note 2

I like my otterbox commuter case. Really sturdy. Good thing too. Its really hard to hold onto. Its been dropped 10 times now. Ill prolly try sideo case. I had one on my evo4g and it never fell outta my hand.
The bodyglove case that I had on it was really grippy. Just didnt give me the protection I wanted. Funny because it never fell outta anybody's hand.
Old January 5th, 2013, 04:59 PM   #324 (permalink)

Device(s):

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=110992121920&index=0&nav=SEARCH&ni d=59043225470
Got it for the mean whie and its pretty decent
Last edited by 956moe; January 5th, 2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old January 5th, 2013, 05:40 PM   #325 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes I had to cut the kickstand rubber bumper and the wrap around plastic piece on the flip side. Another guy modded his by cutting a hole for that flip side plastic piece but I didn't want to cut my flip case. I have several flip cases in different colors and they all look great with the white bumper case.
Wow, that looks cool!!! First of all, I didn't even know they had an option for all white case. As you have seen, my plastic part is black. Looks great as black'n'white, but the flip case I'm getting from Samsung is mint color (the only decent color they had during that giveaway). White and mint will go together great, will have to see how the black will add into that mix. But I definitely like how it looks! Can you flip cover all the way to the back? If so, wouldn't it be an issue taking pictures since it will block the camera? What if you make a cutout in the flip cover so you can flip it to the back and have opening aligned with a camera?
Old January 5th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #326 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5; Samsung Galaxy S5
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Attachment 46841Attachment 46842Attachment 46843Attachment 46844
Cool!

Can you take a pic of the back of the case? I have a case that's similiar and I may try to copy your setup.

I'm trying to get a visual on exactly how and where you cut in order to get the flip case to work.
Old January 5th, 2013, 07:12 PM   #327 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung GN2, previously, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Incredible
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Attachment 46841Attachment 46842Attachment 46843Attachment 46844
What did you use to cut? It looks like it was made that way. I'm very intrigued.

Just picked up an Otterbox Commuter for mine today, still sans screen protector because I messed up the installation (but I wanted a Spigen anyway).

I'd be interested in picking up that case too, if I could mod it like you have and still use my flip covers (already miss those with the commuter on my phone).
Old January 5th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #328 (permalink)

Device(s): note 2
Carrier: att

the otterbox belt clips works for a kick stand.
Old January 5th, 2013, 07:24 PM   #329 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 956moe View Post
Bingo! Is this the same case as in this Amazon link (for S3)? Amazon.com: Rugged Dual Layer Impact-Absorbing Case With Built-In Kickstand for Verizon , Sprint , AT&T , T-Mobile , U.S. Cellular , MetroPCS Samsung Galaxy S III / SIII / S3 / S 3 / i9300 ** Includes Accessory Genie Capacitive Stylus! **: Cell Phone

Can you please let me know, does the inner plastic cover has 2 pieces where screen lip locks to the back side? When you put rubber outer cover, do you have any issues accessing side of the screen/icons next to the edge (any interference)? When you lay the case back down, is there a good friction with a table surface so it doesn't slide or will the portion of kickstand sticks out thus causing case to slide on the surface? Thanks!!!
Old January 5th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #330 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57DRP View Post
I purchased this case from eBay. Really pleased with it as it doesn't compromise the design of the phone and goes well with both business and casual attire.
Quote:
Bingo! Is this the same case as in this Amazon link (for S3)? Amazon.com: Rugged Dual Layer Impact-Absorbing Case With Built-In Kickstand for Verizon , Sprint , AT&T , T-Mobile , U.S. Cellular , MetroPCS Samsung Galaxy S III / SIII / S3 / S 3 / i9300 ** Includes Accessory Genie Capacitive Stylus! **: Cell Phone

Can you please let me know, does the inner plastic cover has 2 pieces where screen lip locks to the back side? When you put rubber outer cover, do you have any issues accessing side of the screen/icons next to the edge (any interference)? When you lay the case back down, is there a good friction with a table surface so it doesn't slide or will the portion of kickstand sticks out thus causing case to slide on the surface? Thanks!!!
Yes the top and bottom plastic lock into place
And kind of hit the side buttons by the edge of the screen. But one handed mode took care of that.
And the rubber is good I havnt had it slide on me
Also its only $6 try it out
Last edited by 956moe; January 5th, 2013 at 08:49 PM.
sponsored links
Old January 5th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #331 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 956moe View Post
Yes the top and bottom plastic lock into place
And kind of hit the side buttons by the edge of the screen. But one handed mode took care of that.
And the rubber is good I havnt had it slide on me
Also its only $6 try it out
It's actually $4.95 shipped now. So, pretty much its exactly like that S3 case in Amazon link (that link has a lot of detailed pictures, that's why I assumed inner plastic case is interlocking 2-piece). Do you suggest it adds a lot of bulk? Kind of hard to tell.

I saw a similar case on Ebay (Black White Impact Hard Case Cover Kickstand Samsung Galaxy Note II 2 Accessory | eBay), but the one you posted looks a lot nicer. Under $5 its no brainer to try it out. Will order one now in white.
Old January 5th, 2013, 09:45 PM   #332 (permalink)

Quote:
Wow, that looks cool!!! First of all, I didn't even know they had an option for all white case. As you have seen, my plastic part is black. Looks great as black'n'white, but the flip case I'm getting from Samsung is mint color (the only decent color they had during that giveaway). White and mint will go together great, will have to see how the black will add into that mix. But I definitely like how it looks! Can you flip cover all the way to the back? If so, wouldn't it be an issue taking pictures since it will block the camera? What if you make a cutout in the flip cover so you can flip it to the back and have opening aligned with a camera?
Considering interest from others, and questions I posted above, I wonder if you can take a few additional pictures with rugged case taken off? If you can show in pictures how the silicon inner part looks now (with a cutout) and the outer plastic shell looks with its cutout/modification - that will give everybody a better idea of modificaiton steps. Thanks!
Old January 5th, 2013, 10:45 PM   #333 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
What did you use to cut? It looks like it was made that way. I'm very intrigued.

Just picked up an Otterbox Commuter for mine today, still sans screen protector because I messed up the installation (but I wanted a Spigen anyway).

I'd be interested in picking up that case too, if I could mod it like you have and still use my flip covers (already miss those with the commuter on my phone).
I used small scissors. It was easy to cut. The plastic tab took a little effort but wasn't bad.
Old January 5th, 2013, 10:46 PM   #334 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Quote:

Many of us have the same case be it from Amazon or eBay ranging from $5-20. I don't know what you mean by screen lip locks to the back side.

It's a 2 piece affair. Nothing over the top. Case covers enough of the phone leaving plenty of room on both sides where it doesn't interfere with the screen.

It's rubber. It doesn't slide when placed on a table chair dashboard.

For the price get one from Amazon. Not happy you can always return it.
Old January 5th, 2013, 10:55 PM   #335 (permalink)

Quote:
I can fold the flip cover all the way back, however, when I use my camera, I just let the case hang straight down because there are no camera holes on the flip cover. I have voice actions enabled for my camera so I can say "shoot" and take the shot.

Here's the one I bought. I paid more than I am seeing here and there, but I thought it was a good deal then.

http://androidforums.com/item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=110973691923
Old January 5th, 2013, 11:01 PM   #336 (permalink)

Quote:
Considering interest from others, and questions I posted above, I wonder if you can take a few additional pictures with rugged case taken off? If you can show in pictures how the silicon inner part looks now (with a cutout) and the outer plastic shell looks with its cutout/modification - that will give everybody a better idea of modificaiton steps. Thanks!
Here you go.
uploadfromtaptalk1357448466743.jpguploadfromtaptalk1357448482193.jpguploadfromtaptalk1357448495193.jpg
twospirits, rabernet and twister6 like this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corki2 For This Useful Post:
rabernet (January 6th, 2013), ren857 (January 6th, 2013), twister6 (January 6th, 2013)
Old January 5th, 2013, 11:25 PM   #337 (permalink)

It looks like there are 2 different styles of cases being discussed. One is a 2 piece case where the rubber is attached to the phone and a hard plastic shell goes over it. And one is a 3 piece case where the phone goes into a two piece hard plastic shell. The rubber part is on the outside. I had one of those for a different phone. The 2 piece case is what I have on my N2.
Old January 6th, 2013, 12:57 AM   #338 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren857 View Post
Cool!

Can you take a pic of the back of the case? I have a case that's similiar and I may try to copy your setup.

I'm trying to get a visual on exactly how and where you cut in order to get the flip case to work.
Here's the back.
uploadfromtaptalk1357455427889.jpg
twister6 likes this.
Old January 6th, 2013, 04:22 AM   #339 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

And here's mine.
From left to right each piece as it goes on the phone.
1st pic front. 2nd pic back.

Corki2 likes this.
Old January 6th, 2013, 08:20 AM   #340 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung GN2, previously, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Incredible
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
I used small scissors. It was easy to cut. The plastic tab took a little effort but wasn't bad.
You used scissors for the plastic tab as well? And thank you for the pictures!
sponsored links
Old January 6th, 2013, 08:27 AM   #341 (permalink)

@Corki2: Thank you for taking your time to take these pics and explain the mod! That is truly an awesome mod to combine 2 cases into one Frankencase that customized to your needs! I will have to figure out how to exchange my mint flip cover to white once I get it. Can't imagining black/white/mint in one mix

@ScandaLeX: Yep, you have exactly the same case as the one Corki2, I, and Caloy have (great minds think alike? ). The other case I was talking about is different, and described very accurately by Corki2 in her few posts above. It has plastic 2-piece inner case with a rubber shell outside (similar to Defender construction). I just placed an order for that one yesterday ($4.95 shipped from US seller) and once I get it - will do pictorial review.
Old January 6th, 2013, 09:27 AM   #342 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
You used scissors for the plastic tab as well? And thank you for the pictures!
Yes. I used these for the whole thing. You can use an exacto knife too.
uploadfromtaptalk1357485913039.jpguploadfromtaptalk1357485923318.jpg
Old January 6th, 2013, 09:52 AM   #343 (permalink)

Quote:
@Corki2: Thank you for taking your time to take these pics and explain the mod! That is truly an awesome mod to combine 2 cases into one Frankencase that customized to your needs! I will have to figure out how to exchange my mint flip cover to white once I get it. Can't imagining black/white/mint in one mix

@ScandaLeX: Yep, you have exactly the same case as the one Corki2, I, and Caloy have (great minds think alike? ). The other case I was talking about is different, and described very accurately by Corki2 in her few posts above. It has plastic 2-piece inner case with a rubber shell outside (similar to Defender construction). I just placed an order for that one yesterday ($4.95 shipped from US seller) and once I get it - will do pictorial review.
I'm glad you find it useful. I didn't come up with the idea. Someone on another forum posted it and I loved it. I have ordered a bunch of cheap bumper cases and am modding each one as I get them so I can change them out and mix them up. Here's a clear TPU case over the flip cover so the chrome ring shows through. It doesn't protect from drops as well as the other case I modded, but it looks cool. I slide my driver's license under the tpu case so I can leave my purse home when I don't need it.
uploadfromtaptalk1357487307265.jpguploadfromtaptalk1357487322995.jpguploadfromtaptalk1357487351441.jpguploadfromtaptalk1357487386102.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1357487369174.jpg (66.4 KB, 62 views)
twister6 likes this.
Old January 6th, 2013, 09:54 AM   #344 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

I must be missing something.
@Cork why did you cut it up again?
Old January 6th, 2013, 10:16 AM   #345 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandaLeX View Post
I must be missing something.
@Cork why did you cut it up again?
So I can use the Samsung flip covers with them. I want my screen protected with the flip cover, but I also want the rest of the phone protected. Not many wallet/flip cases have full body bumpers around the back and sides. So I put my Samsung flip case on and the cases I cut go right on over them with no loss of functionality of the flip cover. That way my whole phone is protected. I was worried about the chrome ring getting scratched up and I wanted protection from drops which the OEM flip cover doesn't give you.
Old January 6th, 2013, 06:44 PM   #346 (permalink)

Quote:
So I can use the Samsung flip covers with them. I want my screen protected with the flip cover, but I also want the rest of the phone protected. Not many wallet/flip cases have full body bumpers around the back and sides. So I put my Samsung flip case on and the cases I cut go right on over them with no loss of functionality of the flip cover. That way my whole phone is protected. I was worried about the chrome ring getting scratched up and I wanted protection from drops which the OEM flip cover doesn't give you.
Btw, are you using Spigen screen protector or something else? I can see a contour which is not typical cheap ebay stuff (I'm on a mission to find cheapo ebay screen protector that' works lol!!!)
Old January 6th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #347 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Quote:
I'm glad you find it useful. I didn't come up with the idea. Someone on another forum posted it and I loved it. I have ordered a bunch of cheap bumper cases and am modding each one as I get them so I can change them out and mix them up. Here's a clear TPU case over the flip cover so the chrome ring shows through. It doesn't protect from drops as well as the other case I modded, but it looks cool. I slide my driver's license under the tpu case so I can leave my purse home when I don't need it.
Cork do you have a link or something showing how to do it?
If so much appreciated.
Old January 6th, 2013, 07:39 PM   #348 (permalink)

Quote:
Btw, are you using Spigen screen protector or something else? I can see a contour which is not typical cheap ebay stuff (I'm on a mission to find cheapo ebay screen protector that' works lol!!!)
Nope. I got them at Verizon and they put it on. They are very nice. I use my Spen and there's not a scratch or scuff on my sceen. I've had my phone since Nov. 29th. uploadfromtaptalk1357522625514.jpgThey are much better than any cheapo ones I have purchased from Ebay. I always tried to save money but hated all the ones I have used in the past so much that I always ended up going without. The Verizon guy talked me into it and I'm grateful. I can see using the same one for a long time before having to replace it because they hold up well, so that justifies paying more.
Old January 6th, 2013, 07:41 PM   #349 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandaLeX View Post
Cork do you have a link or something showing how to do it?
If so much appreciated.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1968655

Official Samsung Protective Cover MOD for Flip Cover
Old January 6th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #350 (permalink)

Quote:
They are much better than any cheapo ones I have purchased from Ebay. I always tried to save money but hated all the ones I have used in the past so much that I always ended up going without. The Verizon guy talked me into it and I'm grateful. I can see using the same one for a long time before having to replace it because they hold up well, so that justifies paying more.
Do you mind how much was it to buy that 3-pack and for install? Also, any weird rainbow/swirling effects under the fluorescent lights? So far that's a problem I'm having with my cheapo ebay screens - weird effects under fluorescent lights. It's not a problem to get Spigen ($8 a screen, and i know it works 100%), but I'm kind of on a mission to find a cheaper alternative that works lol!!! Ebay sellers use different suppliers. I had good luck with my previous DX, and other phones/tablets I installed ebay stuff on. For N2, I'm having a problem find a cheap alternative.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2