Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Like Tree190Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 3rd, 2013, 09:09 PM   #301 (permalink)
AF's janitor
 
twospirits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Queens, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,022
 
Device(s): currently using... Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Note II Sony NSZ-GS7 Google TV
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 5,237
Thanked 4,679 Times in 1,745 Posts
twospirits411@gmail.com
Default

not everyone will be satisfied when it comes to accessories. Some like rugged big cases others like to go naked (the device, not the person, but then again...) Others like the idea of having a kickstand in their cases others don't. Depending on the manufacturer some make sturdier kickstand that don't break easily.

Either way, I myself like the idea of kickstands (even though I like my Note with a flip cover only to keep it as thin as possible) but there are times I want to place the device on the table and use my hands for something else (cooking, washing, etc) with a kickstand, just pop it out, without one I would have to find something to hold up the phone.

regardless, I won't be satisifed until I find a cover that extends into a tripod stand.

TS

Advertisements
__________________
Members, want to make this place better, just ask the staff. Remember, the "No' is always there, you are just looking for the "Yes". and please read the guidelines, otherwise you may end up in Banlandia.

Google + and twitter user.
Click below for image/list of devices...



twospirits is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:02 PM   #302 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Gender: Male
Posts: 39
 
Device(s): Note 2 and iPhone 4s
Carrier: Rogers

Thanks: 23
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Requesting update, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
All good, Mix! No hard feelings. That's why we come here to this forum to express our opinion, to share our experience, and sometimes to bust

I do agree, if kickstand sticking out too much - it takes away from the shape of the case. I do like how its discrete on my cheapo eBay case (Best case for note 2?) and blends in with a design. But it also works against it when I place my case on the back and loose a friction/grip with a surface due to an uneven back side of the case. Worries me sometimes that I can swipe it off the table (but than, case is rugged ). I'm waiting for another cheapo knock off case soon to be released (just talked to the company off line) where they are copying Otterbox design with plastic case on the inside and rubber case on the outside. It supposed to have recessed kick stand as well, although I'm not sure about it until they have it available toward the end of the month. Will post pics once I get it.

Oh, btw I'm don't like Seidio kickstand approach either. If you do have kickstand, have it in the middle of the case to balance the phone. Otherwise, while you have it standing up with a kickstand, you will not be able to touch the screen without knocking the phone down.
I ordered the exact same case a week ago purely on its design compared to Seido and Otter. I didn't like Seido's stand off-centre. Didn't like Otter Defender's built-in screen protector, Commuter didn't have kickstand and both cost way more than the one I ordered. Please update us or PM me if you don't mind once you get more info on the upcoming case. Thanks and all the best for 2013. Cheers.
10sNinja is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:13 PM   #303 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 28
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

To chime in on kickstands, I don't like them on my cases as well. However on round-trip Southwest flight for Christmas, I was trying to watch a movie on the food tray by simply holding the phone. Kept switching hands as the hands get tired after a few mins. Then tried to prop it up against anything (magazines, books, drink container etc) but was unsuccessful as phone kept sliding. The stranger sitting across from me saw my struggles and offered up his camera case which was hollow enough to sit my phone inside and view my movie comfortably.

Basically, now I'm probably gonna get a real cheap case on eBay with a horizontal view kickstand that I can use when travelling. Or maybe someone knows of any kind of phone or case attachment or contraption that can be purchased that will hold a phone on a flat surface and at an angle (preferably adjustable) for use when travelling or at work or school or home etc?
Beetlesauce is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:05 PM   #304 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,049
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,394
Thanked 2,837 Times in 1,918 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlesauce View Post
To chime in on kickstands, I don't like them on my cases as well. However on round-trip Southwest flight for Christmas, I was trying to watch a movie on the food tray by simply holding the phone. Kept switching hands as the hands get tired after a few mins. Then tried to prop it up against anything (magazines, books, drink container etc) but was unsuccessful as phone kept sliding. The stranger sitting across from me saw my struggles and offered up his camera case which was hollow enough to sit my phone inside and view my movie comfortably.

Basically, now I'm probably gonna get a real cheap case on eBay with a horizontal view kickstand that I can use when travelling. Or maybe someone knows of any kind of phone or case attachment or contraption that can be purchased that will hold a phone on a flat surface and at an angle (preferably adjustable) for use when travelling or at work or school or home etc?
Do you prefer not having a case or just not having a kickstand?

If you prefer not having a case, I had mentioned in the accessories thread, a kickstand clip that can be attached to a keychain and can be used when needed. Probably more of what you're looking for and not expensive at all.
__________________
Love the G-Note series!
drexappeal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:38 PM   #305 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
acura9927's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 40
 
Device(s): Samsung Note 2- Titanium Grey
Carrier: Wifi only device

Thanks: 8
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I totally miss having a stand like I had with the Thunderbolt.
I am using the defender right now and if the right case came along with a stand I would get it.

Edit- thank you amazon.

Amazon.com: smartphone stand: Cell Phones & Accessories

Ended up buying this.
http://www.amazon.com/Rabbit-Portable-iPhone-Samsung-Smartphones/dp/B0051J1JZA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
acura9927 is offline  
Last edited by acura9927; January 3rd, 2013 at 11:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:57 PM   #306 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

I am using the Seidio Active Case and holster combo. At first the soft rubber part seemed to slick and I was disappointed but after using it a week it has become more sticky and easier to hold. Better grip so it doesn't fly out of my hand. I love the holster and case combo as its protection and not to bulky. I keep it long side of the phone parallel to my belt and it is ok. Only knocked it to the ground one time when it got hung up on a chair. The phone slides in and out of the holster easily and feels very secure when snapped in place. The one thing that i done like is the soft rubber part between the usb and the glass. The rubber strip between is very thin and when putting it in the holster it pulls away from the phone. The opposite end is the same but with no charger hole at the top its somewhat stronger. They should have made the hard plastic shell hold the phone at those two places for support when putting the phone away into the holster. For now im happy.I saw the defender case and holster on a guys hip and it almost looked like he was carrying a laptop on his belt.
Average_Joe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 01:55 AM   #307 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 28
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
Do you prefer not having a case or just not having a kickstand?

If you prefer not having a case, I had mentioned in the accessories thread, a kickstand clip that can be attached to a keychain and can be used when needed. Probably more of what you're looking for and not expensive at all.
Prefer not having a kickstand on my case. I already have a case for my $750 investment.

I decided to order one of the portable key-chain kickstands you mentioned on eBay. Will see how it works. Thanks.
Beetlesauce is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 02:05 AM   #308 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 20
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I love my Otterbox Commuter and could not ever see my phone in any other case.
Notetwo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 10:48 AM   #309 (permalink)
Member
 
ren857's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 446
 
Device(s): Nexus 5; Samsung Galaxy S5
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 72
Thanked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acura9927 View Post
I totally miss having a stand like I had with the Thunderbolt.
I am using the defender right now and if the right case came along with a stand I would get it.
The defender's holster doubles as a stand.
ren857 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 11:46 AM   #310 (permalink)
Wasn't Me
 
ScandaLeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PhiLLy
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,803
 
Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Thanks: 1,160
Thanked 943 Times in 614 Posts
Default

Interesting since I've never had a kickstand break.
As for "most people" I think that's not accurate as none of us have a clue what most people do.
I use my kickstand ALL the time and when watching a movie on my phone I don't sit here holding the phone.
__________________
If you've been helped by anyone click THANKS
ScandaLeX is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 4th, 2013, 11:50 AM   #311 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
steveo52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 40
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 8
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notetwo View Post
I love my Otterbox Commuter and could not ever see my phone in any other case.
+1
steveo52 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 06:53 PM   #312 (permalink)
Member
 
Fr0stTr0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rocky Mountains
Gender: Male
Posts: 131
 
Device(s): Marble White Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 3
Thanked 28 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Thanks to this thread and poster in my intro thread, I found out about the Glacier Commuter case and managed to cancel my Samsung case order just in time to order a commuter from Amazon cause they only had 6 left!
Fr0stTr0n is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 07:19 PM   #313 (permalink)
Member
 
MiXoLoGiSt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 213
 
Device(s): Note 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr0stTr0n View Post
Thanks to this thread and poster in my intro thread, I found out about the Glacier Commuter case and managed to cancel my Samsung case order just in time to order a commuter from Amazon cause they only had 6 left!
Should have got both. Honestly, the Samsung case is nice for when you really just want something thin and protective. I have the Samsung case and the Body Glove TPU case from Sprint and both are great at protecting all parts of the phone while still keeping a thin profile.
MiXoLoGiSt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 07:28 PM   #314 (permalink)
Member
 
Fr0stTr0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rocky Mountains
Gender: Male
Posts: 131
 
Device(s): Marble White Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 3
Thanked 28 Times in 16 Posts
Default

*shrug* I still have 50% coupon for Samsung accesories through store if I change my mind but the Otterbox commuter Glacier looks so damn nice though and has port covers and included screen protector which is a big bonus. Ordered one from amazon for $35 w/shipping



Fr0stTr0n is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 09:11 PM   #315 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
twister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,771
 
Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2, S5
Carrier: V

Thanks: 140
Thanked 805 Times in 422 Posts
Default

I would buy Commuter in a heartbeat if it would have kickstand Otherwise, maybe it can be used with something like this: GripTight Micro Stand for iPhone, Android and Windows Smartphones which might work as a stand and a grip (when used without tripod attachment). Anything with a steady grip, which is non-permanent, would probably be a good enhancement to Commuter.

I'm actually hoping that in the next month we will see more case choices from other reputable vendors and eBay cheapo knockoffs. Its about time for them to realize that GN2 is selling in volumes!
twister6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 09:18 PM   #316 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,049
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,394
Thanked 2,837 Times in 1,918 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlesauce View Post
Prefer not having a kickstand on my case. I already have a case for my $750 investment.

I decided to order one of the portable key-chain kickstands you mentioned on eBay. Will see how it works. Thanks.
I don't have my other Note 2 with me, but it works well in landscape, but definitely too heavy in portrait.
drexappeal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 09:26 PM   #317 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
twister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,771
 
Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2, S5
Carrier: V

Thanks: 140
Thanked 805 Times in 422 Posts
Default

Just looked closer at Otterbox Commuter (including some YT links), and still fail to see how is it any better than case I got from eBay Best case for note 2?

Maybe I'm naive trying to convince myself about $6.99 (and trust me, money is not an issue), or maybe I should order Commuter just to try it out for comparison, but honestly I don't see any difference, and actually find kickstand as a bonus (for my own personal use).
twister6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 10:48 PM   #318 (permalink)
Member
 
Fr0stTr0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rocky Mountains
Gender: Male
Posts: 131
 
Device(s): Marble White Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 3
Thanked 28 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Ewww, don't like that linked case at all visual wise. The big difference is quality of materials used, especially polycorbanate cases and the quality of the silicon/rubber used in the case. And yes, the Otterbox "name" will also command a higher price, such is the nature of marketing.

Case in point, I found this case at my local mall in a small kiosk that sells a bunch of different cases, especially Iphone *no surprise* This SAME case they had marked up to $20 but it only shows up at $3.50 at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-HYBO-SK-Hybrid-Kickstand-Samsung/dp/B009UWAIEC/ref=sr_1_8?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1357361439&sr=1-8&keywords=note+2+case

The plastic felt very brittle, the stand felt like it would break off after a few uses and the silicon was very cheaply made all around in comparison to the Case Mate Pop! I had earlier for my Note 2.

The other cases I looked at for the Note 2 had very cheap looking "spray on" paint on cheap two piece plastic cases that "Looked" good but sure as hell didn't have any rubber cushioning or button protection or ANYTHING other then making your phone looked "blinged" out.

In short, you get what you pay for
Fr0stTr0n is offline  
Last edited by Fr0stTr0n; January 4th, 2013 at 10:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 07:15 AM   #319 (permalink)
Member
 
Corki2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 340
 
Device(s): LG Ally, Droid X, HTC Rezound, LG Spectrum, Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 48
Thanked 80 Times in 56 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
Just looked closer at Otterbox Commuter (including some YT links), and still fail to see how is it any better than case I got from eBay Best case for note 2?

Maybe I'm naive trying to convince myself about $6.99 (and trust me, money is not an issue), or maybe I should order Commuter just to try it out for comparison, but honestly I don't see any difference, and actually find kickstand as a bonus (for my own personal use).
I have the same case in white. I feel it provides adequate protection for me and it looks much better than the Otterbox. I like the kickstand.

I saw a video of a guy doing the drop test with both the Defender and Commuter. He ended up hurling his phone off his roof. After about the 3rd time be busted his phone up. But he had to work hard to do it. The "normal" drop scenarios he duplicated were impressive with no damage anywhere on the phone with either the Defender or the Commuter.

So, I am convinced that if you want a case that offers the best protection, you want an Otterbox. I would have one on my phone if they had one with a flip cover. The protective screen cover isn't enough protection for when the phone is in my purse. I worry about it banging up against something and the screen getting cracked. I modified my Amazon kickstand case to fit with the OEM flip cover. I feel it's a good amount of protection. I'm sure it wouldnt survive being hurled off a rooftop but I'll just stay off the roof.
Corki2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 09:53 AM   #320 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
twister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,771
 
Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2, S5
Carrier: V

Thanks: 140
Thanked 805 Times in 422 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corki2 View Post
...I modified my Amazon kickstand case to fit with the OEM flip cover. I feel it's a good amount of protection. I'm sure it wouldnt survive being hurled off a rooftop but I'll just stay off the roof.
Interesting. Do you mind taking a picture of how it looks combined/modifed? I assume you are talking about OEM flip cover and similar rugged hybrid case I posted in my review? I'm waiting for one of those OEM flip covers (as part of Sammy giveaway), and wondering how would it work with that case. Did you have to cut some pieces out? I mean, the lip of the case around the screen will prevent flip cover from opening? Thanks!
twister6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 5th, 2013, 10:29 AM   #321 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
twister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,771
 
Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2, S5
Carrier: V

Thanks: 140
Thanked 805 Times in 422 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr0stTr0n View Post
...
In short, you get what you pay for
So does that mean $20 case you saw at the mall was of a better quality than one from Amazon for $3.50?

I do agree with all of your points. I have ordered already a few cheap eBay cases and have seen their poor quality; so I do have a point of reference. Trust me, this particular one I'm talking about has high quality inner soft silicone layer and hard rubberized outer plastic - most likely the same high impact polycarb case, flexible with enough strength rigidity. It does wraps around similar to Commuter case and offers the same protection. I wish any of the local stores would carry Commuter for me to try it out for A/B comparison; I hope BB will start carrying it soon cause I would hate to order/return from Amazon just for test purpose.
twister6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 02:16 PM   #322 (permalink)
Member
 
Corki2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 340
 
Device(s): LG Ally, Droid X, HTC Rezound, LG Spectrum, Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 48
Thanked 80 Times in 56 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
Interesting. Do you mind taking a picture of how it looks combined/modifed? I assume you are talking about OEM flip cover and similar rugged hybrid case I posted in my review? I'm waiting for one of those OEM flip covers (as part of Sammy giveaway), and wondering how would it work with that case. Did you have to cut some pieces out? I mean, the lip of the case around the screen will prevent flip cover from opening? Thanks!
Yes I had to cut the kickstand rubber bumper and the wrap around plastic piece on the flip side. Another guy modded his by cutting a hole for that flip side plastic piece but I didn't want to cut my flip case. I have several flip cases in different colors and they all look great with the white bumper case.
uploadfromtaptalk1357416799712.jpguploadfromtaptalk1357416826900.jpguploadfromtaptalk1357416853596.jpguploadfromtaptalk1357416869373.jpg
twospirits, twister6 and g2manhou like this.
Corki2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Corki2 For This Useful Post:
ren857 (January 5th, 2013)
Old January 5th, 2013, 04:45 PM   #323 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 33
 
Device(s): Samsung galaxy note 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I like my otterbox commuter case. Really sturdy. Good thing too. Its really hard to hold onto. Its been dropped 10 times now. Ill prolly try sideo case. I had one on my evo4g and it never fell outta my hand.
The bodyglove case that I had on it was really grippy. Just didnt give me the protection I wanted. Funny because it never fell outta anybody's hand.
UPS92008 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 04:59 PM   #324 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=110992121920&index=0&nav=SEARCH&ni d=59043225470
Got it for the mean whie and its pretty decent
956moe is offline  
Last edited by 956moe; January 5th, 2013 at 05:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 05:40 PM   #325 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
twister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,771
 
Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2, S5
Carrier: V

Thanks: 140
Thanked 805 Times in 422 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corki2 View Post
Yes I had to cut the kickstand rubber bumper and the wrap around plastic piece on the flip side. Another guy modded his by cutting a hole for that flip side plastic piece but I didn't want to cut my flip case. I have several flip cases in different colors and they all look great with the white bumper case.
Wow, that looks cool!!! First of all, I didn't even know they had an option for all white case. As you have seen, my plastic part is black. Looks great as black'n'white, but the flip case I'm getting from Samsung is mint color (the only decent color they had during that giveaway). White and mint will go together great, will have to see how the black will add into that mix. But I definitely like how it looks! Can you flip cover all the way to the back? If so, wouldn't it be an issue taking pictures since it will block the camera? What if you make a cutout in the flip cover so you can flip it to the back and have opening aligned with a camera?
twister6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #326 (permalink)
Member
 
ren857's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 446
 
Device(s): Nexus 5; Samsung Galaxy S5
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 72
Thanked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corki2 View Post
Yes I had to cut the kickstand rubber bumper and the wrap around plastic piece on the flip side. Another guy modded his by cutting a hole for that flip side plastic piece but I didn't want to cut my flip case. I have several flip cases in different colors and they all look great with the white bumper case.
Attachment 46841Attachment 46842Attachment 46843Attachment 46844
Cool!

Can you take a pic of the back of the case? I have a case that's similiar and I may try to copy your setup.

I'm trying to get a visual on exactly how and where you cut in order to get the flip case to work.
ren857 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 07:12 PM   #327 (permalink)
Member
 
rabernet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 253
 
Device(s): Samsung GN2, previously, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Incredible
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 74
Thanked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corki2 View Post
Yes I had to cut the kickstand rubber bumper and the wrap around plastic piece on the flip side. Another guy modded his by cutting a hole for that flip side plastic piece but I didn't want to cut my flip case. I have several flip cases in different colors and they all look great with the white bumper case.
Attachment 46841Attachment 46842Attachment 46843Attachment 46844
What did you use to cut? It looks like it was made that way. I'm very intrigued.

Just picked up an Otterbox Commuter for mine today, still sans screen protector because I messed up the installation (but I wanted a Spigen anyway).

I'd be interested in picking up that case too, if I could mod it like you have and still use my flip covers (already miss those with the commuter on my phone).
rabernet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #328 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: missouri
Gender: Male
Posts: 3
 
Device(s): note 2
Carrier: att

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

the otterbox belt clips works for a kick stand.
fieldhand1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 07:24 PM   #329 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
twister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,771
 
Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2, S5
Carrier: V

Thanks: 140
Thanked 805 Times in 422 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 956moe View Post
Bingo! Is this the same case as in this Amazon link (for S3)? Amazon.com: Rugged Dual Layer Impact-Absorbing Case With Built-In Kickstand for Verizon , Sprint , AT&T , T-Mobile , U.S. Cellular , MetroPCS Samsung Galaxy S III / SIII / S3 / S 3 / i9300 ** Includes Accessory Genie Capacitive Stylus! **: Cell Phone

Can you please let me know, does the inner plastic cover has 2 pieces where screen lip locks to the back side? When you put rubber outer cover, do you have any issues accessing side of the screen/icons next to the edge (any interference)? When you lay the case back down, is there a good friction with a table surface so it doesn't slide or will the portion of kickstand sticks out thus causing case to slide on the surface? Thanks!!!
twister6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #330 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57DRP View Post
I purchased this case from eBay. Really pleased with it as it doesn't compromise the design of the phone and goes well with both business and casual attire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
Bingo! Is this the same case as in this Amazon link (for S3)? Amazon.com: Rugged Dual Layer Impact-Absorbing Case With Built-In Kickstand for Verizon , Sprint , AT&T , T-Mobile , U.S. Cellular , MetroPCS Samsung Galaxy S III / SIII / S3 / S 3 / i9300 ** Includes Accessory Genie Capacitive Stylus! **: Cell Phone

Can you please let me know, does the inner plastic cover has 2 pieces where screen lip locks to the back side? When you put rubber outer cover, do you have any issues accessing side of the screen/icons next to the edge (any interference)? When you lay the case back down, is there a good friction with a table surface so it doesn't slide or will the portion of kickstand sticks out thus causing case to slide on the surface? Thanks!!!
Yes the top and bottom plastic lock into place
And kind of hit the side buttons by the edge of the screen. But one handed mode took care of that.
And the rubber is good I havnt had it slide on me
Also its only $6 try it out
956moe is offline  
Last edited by 956moe; January 5th, 2013 at 08:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 5th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #331 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
twister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,771
 
Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2, S5
Carrier: V

Thanks: 140
Thanked 805 Times in 422 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 956moe View Post
Yes the top and bottom plastic lock into place
And kind of hit the side buttons by the edge of the screen. But one handed mode took care of that.
And the rubber is good I havnt had it slide on me
Also its only $6 try it out
It's actually $4.95 shipped now. So, pretty much its exactly like that S3 case in Amazon link (that link has a lot of detailed pictures, that's why I assumed inner plastic case is interlocking 2-piece). Do you suggest it adds a lot of bulk? Kind of hard to tell.

I saw a similar case on Ebay (Black White Impact Hard Case Cover Kickstand Samsung Galaxy Note II 2 Accessory | eBay), but the one you posted looks a lot nicer. Under $5 its no brainer to try it out. Will order one now in white.
twister6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 09:45 PM   #332 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
twister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,771
 
Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2, S5
Carrier: V

Thanks: 140
Thanked 805 Times in 422 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
Wow, that looks cool!!! First of all, I didn't even know they had an option for all white case. As you have seen, my plastic part is black. Looks great as black'n'white, but the flip case I'm getting from Samsung is mint color (the only decent color they had during that giveaway). White and mint will go together great, will have to see how the black will add into that mix. But I definitely like how it looks! Can you flip cover all the way to the back? If so, wouldn't it be an issue taking pictures since it will block the camera? What if you make a cutout in the flip cover so you can flip it to the back and have opening aligned with a camera?
Considering interest from others, and questions I posted above, I wonder if you can take a few additional pictures with rugged case taken off? If you can show in pictures how the silicon inner part looks now (with a cutout) and the outer plastic shell looks with its cutout/modification - that will give everybody a better idea of modificaiton steps. Thanks!
twister6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 10:45 PM   #333 (permalink)
Member
 
Corki2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 340
 
Device(s): LG Ally, Droid X, HTC Rezound, LG Spectrum, Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 48
Thanked 80 Times in 56 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
What did you use to cut? It looks like it was made that way. I'm very intrigued.

Just picked up an Otterbox Commuter for mine today, still sans screen protector because I messed up the installation (but I wanted a Spigen anyway).

I'd be interested in picking up that case too, if I could mod it like you have and still use my flip covers (already miss those with the commuter on my phone).
I used small scissors. It was easy to cut. The plastic tab took a little effort but wasn't bad.
Corki2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 10:46 PM   #334 (permalink)
Wasn't Me
 
ScandaLeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PhiLLy
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,803
 
Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Thanks: 1,160
Thanked 943 Times in 614 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
Bingo! Is this the same case as in this Amazon link (for S3)? Amazon.com: Rugged Dual Layer Impact-Absorbing Case With Built-In Kickstand for Verizon , Sprint , AT&T , T-Mobile , U.S. Cellular , MetroPCS Samsung Galaxy S III / SIII / S3 / S 3 / i9300 ** Includes Accessory Genie Capacitive Stylus! **: Cell Phone

Can you please let me know, does the inner plastic cover has 2 pieces where screen lip locks to the back side? When you put rubber outer cover, do you have any issues accessing side of the screen/icons next to the edge (any interference)? When you lay the case back down, is there a good friction with a table surface so it doesn't slide or will the portion of kickstand sticks out thus causing case to slide on the surface? Thanks!!!
Many of us have the same case be it from Amazon or eBay ranging from $5-20. I don't know what you mean by screen lip locks to the back side.

It's a 2 piece affair. Nothing over the top. Case covers enough of the phone leaving plenty of room on both sides where it doesn't interfere with the screen.

It's rubber. It doesn't slide when placed on a table chair dashboard.

For the price get one from Amazon. Not happy you can always return it.
ScandaLeX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 10:55 PM   #335 (permalink)
Member
 
Corki2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 340
 
Device(s): LG Ally, Droid X, HTC Rezound, LG Spectrum, Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 48
Thanked 80 Times in 56 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
Wow, that looks cool!!! First of all, I didn't even know they had an option for all white case. As you have seen, my plastic part is black. Looks great as black'n'white, but the flip case I'm getting from Samsung is mint color (the only decent color they had during that giveaway). White and mint will go together great, will have to see how the black will add into that mix. But I definitely like how it looks! Can you flip cover all the way to the back? If so, wouldn't it be an issue taking pictures since it will block the camera? What if you make a cutout in the flip cover so you can flip it to the back and have opening aligned with a camera?
I can fold the flip cover all the way back, however, when I use my camera, I just let the case hang straight down because there are no camera holes on the flip cover. I have voice actions enabled for my camera so I can say "shoot" and take the shot.

Here's the one I bought. I paid more than I am seeing here and there, but I thought it was a good deal then.

http://androidforums.com/item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=110973691923
Corki2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 11:01 PM   #336 (permalink)
Member
 
Corki2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 340
 
Device(s): LG Ally, Droid X, HTC Rezound, LG Spectrum, Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 48
Thanked 80 Times in 56 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
Considering interest from others, and questions I posted above, I wonder if you can take a few additional pictures with rugged case taken off? If you can show in pictures how the silicon inner part looks now (with a cutout) and the outer plastic shell looks with its cutout/modification - that will give everybody a better idea of modificaiton steps. Thanks!
Here you go.
uploadfromtaptalk1357448466743.jpguploadfromtaptalk1357448482193.jpguploadfromtaptalk1357448495193.jpg
twospirits, rabernet and twister6 like this.
Corki2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corki2 For This Useful Post:
rabernet (January 6th, 2013), ren857 (January 6th, 2013), twister6 (January 6th, 2013)
Old January 5th, 2013, 11:25 PM   #337 (permalink)
Member
 
Corki2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 340
 
Device(s): LG Ally, Droid X, HTC Rezound, LG Spectrum, Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 48
Thanked 80 Times in 56 Posts
Default

It looks like there are 2 different styles of cases being discussed. One is a 2 piece case where the rubber is attached to the phone and a hard plastic shell goes over it. And one is a 3 piece case where the phone goes into a two piece hard plastic shell. The rubber part is on the outside. I had one of those for a different phone. The 2 piece case is what I have on my N2.
Corki2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 12:57 AM   #338 (permalink)
Member
 
Corki2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 340
 
Device(s): LG Ally, Droid X, HTC Rezound, LG Spectrum, Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 48
Thanked 80 Times in 56 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren857 View Post
Cool!

Can you take a pic of the back of the case? I have a case that's similiar and I may try to copy your setup.

I'm trying to get a visual on exactly how and where you cut in order to get the flip case to work.
Here's the back.
uploadfromtaptalk1357455427889.jpg
twister6 likes this.
Corki2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 04:22 AM   #339 (permalink)
Wasn't Me
 
ScandaLeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PhiLLy
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,803
 
Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Thanks: 1,160
Thanked 943 Times in 614 Posts
Default

And here's mine.
From left to right each piece as it goes on the phone.
1st pic front. 2nd pic back.

Corki2 likes this.
ScandaLeX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 08:20 AM   #340 (permalink)
Member
 
rabernet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 253
 
Device(s): Samsung GN2, previously, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Incredible
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 74
Thanked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corki2 View Post
I used small scissors. It was easy to cut. The plastic tab took a little effort but wasn't bad.
You used scissors for the plastic tab as well? And thank you for the pictures!
rabernet is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 6th, 2013, 08:27 AM   #341 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
twister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,771
 
Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2, S5
Carrier: V

Thanks: 140
Thanked 805 Times in 422 Posts
Default

@Corki2: Thank you for taking your time to take these pics and explain the mod! That is truly an awesome mod to combine 2 cases into one Frankencase that customized to your needs! I will have to figure out how to exchange my mint flip cover to white once I get it. Can't imagining black/white/mint in one mix

@ScandaLeX: Yep, you have exactly the same case as the one Corki2, I, and Caloy have (great minds think alike? ). The other case I was talking about is different, and described very accurately by Corki2 in her few posts above. It has plastic 2-piece inner case with a rubber shell outside (similar to Defender construction). I just placed an order for that one yesterday ($4.95 shipped from US seller) and once I get it - will do pictorial review.
twister6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 09:27 AM   #342 (permalink)
Member
 
Corki2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 340
 
Device(s): LG Ally, Droid X, HTC Rezound, LG Spectrum, Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 48
Thanked 80 Times in 56 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
You used scissors for the plastic tab as well? And thank you for the pictures!
Yes. I used these for the whole thing. You can use an exacto knife too.
uploadfromtaptalk1357485913039.jpguploadfromtaptalk1357485923318.jpg
Corki2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 09:52 AM   #343 (permalink)
Member
 
Corki2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 340
 
Device(s): LG Ally, Droid X, HTC Rezound, LG Spectrum, Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 48
Thanked 80 Times in 56 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
@Corki2: Thank you for taking your time to take these pics and explain the mod! That is truly an awesome mod to combine 2 cases into one Frankencase that customized to your needs! I will have to figure out how to exchange my mint flip cover to white once I get it. Can't imagining black/white/mint in one mix

@ScandaLeX: Yep, you have exactly the same case as the one Corki2, I, and Caloy have (great minds think alike? ). The other case I was talking about is different, and described very accurately by Corki2 in her few posts above. It has plastic 2-piece inner case with a rubber shell outside (similar to Defender construction). I just placed an order for that one yesterday ($4.95 shipped from US seller) and once I get it - will do pictorial review.
I'm glad you find it useful. I didn't come up with the idea. Someone on another forum posted it and I loved it. I have ordered a bunch of cheap bumper cases and am modding each one as I get them so I can change them out and mix them up. Here's a clear TPU case over the flip cover so the chrome ring shows through. It doesn't protect from drops as well as the other case I modded, but it looks cool. I slide my driver's license under the tpu case so I can leave my purse home when I don't need it.
uploadfromtaptalk1357487307265.jpguploadfromtaptalk1357487322995.jpguploadfromtaptalk1357487351441.jpguploadfromtaptalk1357487386102.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1357487369174.jpg (66.4 KB, 62 views)
twister6 likes this.
Corki2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 09:54 AM   #344 (permalink)
Wasn't Me
 
ScandaLeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PhiLLy
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,803
 
Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Thanks: 1,160
Thanked 943 Times in 614 Posts
Default

I must be missing something.
@Cork why did you cut it up again?
ScandaLeX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 10:16 AM   #345 (permalink)
Member
 
Corki2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 340
 
Device(s): LG Ally, Droid X, HTC Rezound, LG Spectrum, Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 48
Thanked 80 Times in 56 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandaLeX View Post
I must be missing something.
@Cork why did you cut it up again?
So I can use the Samsung flip covers with them. I want my screen protected with the flip cover, but I also want the rest of the phone protected. Not many wallet/flip cases have full body bumpers around the back and sides. So I put my Samsung flip case on and the cases I cut go right on over them with no loss of functionality of the flip cover. That way my whole phone is protected. I was worried about the chrome ring getting scratched up and I wanted protection from drops which the OEM flip cover doesn't give you.
Corki2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 06:44 PM   #346 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
twister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,771
 
Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2, S5
Carrier: V

Thanks: 140
Thanked 805 Times in 422 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corki2 View Post
So I can use the Samsung flip covers with them. I want my screen protected with the flip cover, but I also want the rest of the phone protected. Not many wallet/flip cases have full body bumpers around the back and sides. So I put my Samsung flip case on and the cases I cut go right on over them with no loss of functionality of the flip cover. That way my whole phone is protected. I was worried about the chrome ring getting scratched up and I wanted protection from drops which the OEM flip cover doesn't give you.
Btw, are you using Spigen screen protector or something else? I can see a contour which is not typical cheap ebay stuff (I'm on a mission to find cheapo ebay screen protector that' works lol!!!)
twister6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #347 (permalink)
Wasn't Me
 
ScandaLeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PhiLLy
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,803
 
Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Thanks: 1,160
Thanked 943 Times in 614 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corki2 View Post
I'm glad you find it useful. I didn't come up with the idea. Someone on another forum posted it and I loved it. I have ordered a bunch of cheap bumper cases and am modding each one as I get them so I can change them out and mix them up. Here's a clear TPU case over the flip cover so the chrome ring shows through. It doesn't protect from drops as well as the other case I modded, but it looks cool. I slide my driver's license under the tpu case so I can leave my purse home when I don't need it.
Cork do you have a link or something showing how to do it?
If so much appreciated.
ScandaLeX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 07:39 PM   #348 (permalink)
Member
 
Corki2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 340
 
Device(s): LG Ally, Droid X, HTC Rezound, LG Spectrum, Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 48
Thanked 80 Times in 56 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
Btw, are you using Spigen screen protector or something else? I can see a contour which is not typical cheap ebay stuff (I'm on a mission to find cheapo ebay screen protector that' works lol!!!)
Nope. I got them at Verizon and they put it on. They are very nice. I use my Spen and there's not a scratch or scuff on my sceen. I've had my phone since Nov. 29th. uploadfromtaptalk1357522625514.jpgThey are much better than any cheapo ones I have purchased from Ebay. I always tried to save money but hated all the ones I have used in the past so much that I always ended up going without. The Verizon guy talked me into it and I'm grateful. I can see using the same one for a long time before having to replace it because they hold up well, so that justifies paying more.
Corki2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 07:41 PM   #349 (permalink)
Member
 
Corki2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 340
 
Device(s): LG Ally, Droid X, HTC Rezound, LG Spectrum, Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 48
Thanked 80 Times in 56 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandaLeX View Post
Cork do you have a link or something showing how to do it?
If so much appreciated.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1968655

Official Samsung Protective Cover MOD for Flip Cover
Corki2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #350 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
twister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,771
 
Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2, S5
Carrier: V

Thanks: 140
Thanked 805 Times in 422 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corki2 View Post
They are much better than any cheapo ones I have purchased from Ebay. I always tried to save money but hated all the ones I have used in the past so much that I always ended up going without. The Verizon guy talked me into it and I'm grateful. I can see using the same one for a long time before having to replace it because they hold up well, so that justifies paying more.
Do you mind how much was it to buy that 3-pack and for install? Also, any weird rainbow/swirling effects under the fluorescent lights? So far that's a problem I'm having with my cheapo ebay screens - weird effects under fluorescent lights. It's not a problem to get Spigen ($8 a screen, and i know it works 100%), but I'm kind of on a mission to find a cheaper alternative that works lol!!! Ebay sellers use different suppliers. I had good luck with my previous DX, and other phones/tablets I installed ebay stuff on. For N2, I'm having a problem find a cheap alternative.
twister6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.