Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Find everything you need for the Galaxy S5 and discuss it in our S5 forum!
Have you seen that OnePlus One's awesome camera?? The forum is over here!

Like Tree190Likes

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 13th, 2013, 11:31 AM   #401 (permalink)

Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2
Carrier: V

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamdangA View Post
Those UAG cases look awesome, if anyone gets one please post some pictures here. I bought the flip cover and the Samsung bumper case, but I am thinking I will need to purchase something more rugged for when hiking/fishing season starts up.
I'm keeping my eye on this thread at xda forum: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2085610 - seems a number of people placed an order/pre-order and it's all on backorder now. Just have to wait 3-4wks for availability and YT reviews (as part of their promo). Plus, at the release it will be $39.99, and I'm sure price will drop to under $30 once it shows up on Amazon.

The Following User Says Thank You to twister6 For This Useful Post:
AdamdangA (January 13th, 2013)
sponsored links
Old January 20th, 2013, 12:09 PM   #402 (permalink)

Just as an update, UAG is available for order. Got Navigator ordered today, and will write a review once I receive it. ***edit*** saw this on another forum: UAG10%PROMO for 25% discount (that's $10 off!!!)

Furthermore, found a review for another newly released case by Casemate Tough Case. I was a little skeptical about the premium price tag, but the reviews and pics showing it as a well worth alternative to Commuter. The lip is a little shallow, but the material of the inner shell compensates for that. Here is a review with pictures from another website: http://www.teamvenum.com View topic - Note 2 Casemate Tough Case Pics/Review

Btw, I also read if you use "FRIENDS50" promo code ordering directly from Case-Mate Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Tough Cases (Case-Mate NOTE2-TUF), Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Cases, Covers, Accessories by Case-Mate | Case-Mate - for a limited time only you get 50% off. Either way its a very nice alternative to Otterbox. If I get around ordering it, I will post a detailed review as well.
Last edited by twister6; January 21st, 2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old January 21st, 2013, 09:19 AM   #403 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note II
Carrier: T-Mobile

Hi everyone, I don't yet have the Note 2 but am already shopping for cases for when I get mine.

Does anyone know of any cases that have a hand strap? Not a wrist strap, but an elastic strap at the back of the case (or the back of a cover so that it's at the back of the case when folded back) to slip your hand into?

My Kindle Fire case has this and it makes holding the device for long periods of time (like for reading or walking around a store with a shopping list) so much more comfortable.

So far the only cases I have found that have the strap are two cases by Zenus for the original Note. The Zenus Masstige Stripe Print Folder Series - zenuscase.net/androids/galaxy-note/zenus-galaxy-note-masstige-stripe-print-folder-series.html - I am new and can't post a working link. This case is OK, but it seems like it would be awkward to have your hand between the back of the case and the cover when flipped open. Another case for the original Note, in the same line, is just a back cover with the elastic hand strap - no front cover. www.amazon.com/Galaxy-Note-Leather-Masstige-Series/dp/B007O1GSKO/ - something like this would be ideal, but I am striking out.
Last edited by tonetwo; January 21st, 2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old January 21st, 2013, 11:30 AM   #404 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonetwo View Post
Hi everyone, I don't yet have the Note 2 but am already shopping for cases for when I get mine.

Does anyone know of any cases that have a hand strap? Not a wrist strap, but an elastic strap at the back of the case (or the back of a cover so that it's at the back of the case when folded back) to slip your hand into?
That would be great if they have it for N2. I got my wife Poetic hardback cover for her Nexus 7 that has hand strap in addition to elastic band to keep the slap folded in the back. BUT, unfortunately nothing like that is available for N2 yet. You might want to nag Poetic if they will make one for N2

In a meantime, check into this thread: Handable vs Fly Grip vs Thing Sling where you might be able to find an alternative solution for your need.

Uh, here you go, a neat DIY: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2067764&highlight=elastic+band
Last edited by twister6; January 21st, 2013 at 11:34 AM.
tonetwo (January 21st, 2013)
Old January 21st, 2013, 11:47 AM   #405 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note II
Carrier: T-Mobile

Incredibly helpful, thank you! While I would prefer a case with the elastic band integrated, ThingSling or the DIY option look like great fallback options.
Old January 21st, 2013, 08:32 PM   #406 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Casemate tough case. The best!

I ve had a lot of phones in the past few years and have always had a casemate touches on them. Had one on my galaxy s3 and it was by far the best case Not big,keeps the phone sleep yet gives ultimate protection. Was so excited when I got a email from Casemate to tell me they now have the toughmate case available for the Note 2. I ordered it Friday,got it today and I have to say it is awesome. Great protection but also keeps the phone very slim, not like other cases like the commuter or defender by otterbox. If you want a great thin case with great protection you can't go wrong with the tough case by casemate.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 01:04 PM   #407 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Note 2

id go with commuter. not the defender it causes echos.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 05:22 PM   #408 (permalink)

Device(s): White Note 2, Silver HTC M8
Carrier: Verizon

I have a week old black otterbox commuter for sale if anyone is interested
Old January 23rd, 2013, 05:31 PM   #409 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem Industriez View Post
I have a week old black otterbox commuter for sale if anyone is interested
I had one for about two hours and returned it because I hated it. Too big and bulky and it won't fit in any of the Samsung docks with it on. Why don't you just return it also and get back all the money that you originally paid for it?
ScandaLeX likes this.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 06:59 PM   #410 (permalink)

Device(s): White Note 2, Silver HTC M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by menmyjeep View Post
I had one for about two hours and returned it because I hated it. Too big and bulky and it won't fit in any of the Samsung docks with it on. Why don't you just return it also and get back all the money that you originally paid for it?
I would if I could but my girlfriend threw away the box so now I can't return it.
sponsored links
Old January 23rd, 2013, 09:32 PM   #411 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by menmyjeep View Post
If you think Commuter is bulky, wait till you try Defender That one is a monster lol!!!
Glenn9586 likes this.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 10:23 PM   #412 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note II Galaxy Nexus HTC Thunderbolt Nexus 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
Oh man (@10sNinja), you should have asked me for the link where I got mine, half the price, local US shipment within 4-5 days ($6.65 shipped): WH BK Rugged Hybrid Hard Case Cover Holster Kickstand Samsung Galaxy Note II 2 | eBay

Plus, I also ordered another one, waiting for it to arrive this Friday ($4.95 shipped). Its the same one I mentioned to you in PM but for Note 2. I'm waiting for it to arrive to review and to give my opinion about it, so don't rush in yet: Rugged Dual Layer Impact Kickstand Case for Samsung Galaxy Note 2 II Phone | eBay

Regarding "cheap", its a matter of principle. Never hurts to ask, just be nice and approach them with explanation that you gave them 5-star positive feedback but not happy with a product and would like to resolve it. You will be surprised!
I bought a white bk case and was impressed with the quality. I have a studio active case for my nexus and the quality is very similar. My only complaint is that it snags on my pocket a bit so I don't use it daily more for active times where a little more protection is needed
Old January 29th, 2013, 03:00 PM   #413 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownJim View Post
I bought a white bk case and was impressed with the quality. I have a studio active case for my nexus and the quality is very similar. My only complaint is that it snags on my pocket a bit so I don't use it daily more for active times where a little more protection is needed
Well, as much as I used to rave about these ebay cases, I wanted to come back and mention that quality doesn't hold up that well. Don't get me wrong, I'm still using my rugged case (inner silicon white shell with outer black plastic cage and kickstand), but around the edges where outer plastic shell is not pushing on the inner shell - silicon is starting to stretch a little bit and lint/dust gets underneath. Plus it gets slightly pulled off at the top/bottom edge when I pull it out of my pocket. It still offers a decent protection and kickstand is solid after a daily use, but for obvious reasons Commuter's inner shell will not have any loose edges or pulling in comparison to this case. I'm still using it until I get my UAG, and perhaps might even look into Casemate Tough Case as an alternative. But other than that, I still stand by my original statement that you can actually find something on a budget from ebay that will offer you a decent protection, but the longevity of fitment and quality of the material will never match those designed by original brand name companies.
ren857 and 10sNinja like this.
10sNinja (January 29th, 2013)
Old January 29th, 2013, 04:44 PM   #414 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 2 and iPhone 4s
Carrier: Rogers

Default Agreed

Quote:
Well, as much as I used to rave about these ebay cases, I wanted to come back and mention that quality doesn't hold up that well. Don't get me wrong, I'm still using my rugged case (inner silicon white shell with outer black plastic cage and kickstand), but around the edges where outer plastic shell is not pushing on the inner shell - silicon is starting to stretch a little bit and lint/dust gets underneath. Plus it gets slightly pulled off at the top/bottom edge when I pull it out of my pocket. It still offers a decent protection and kickstand is solid after a daily use, but for obvious reasons Commuter's inner shell will not have any loose edges or pulling in comparison to this case. I'm still using it until I get my UAG, and perhaps might even look into Casemate Tough Case as an alternative. But other than that, I still stand by my original statement that you can actually find something on a budget from ebay that will offer you a decent protection, but the longevity of fitment and quality of the material will never match those designed by original brand name companies.
Came to same conclusion. Really like that kickstand doubles as handle for a more secure grip. Still on the market for a higher end case with same specs. Also looking to buy another flip case next month: Galaxy Note 2 Vintage G-Note Diary Collection and I've already purchased a portable stand: SD Portable Multi-Angle Smartphone Desk Stand Review! due to arrive in a couple of days. Really appreciate you following up with the above review. Cheers.
Old January 29th, 2013, 05:21 PM   #415 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Default Re: Best case for note 2?

Quote:
I don't have this problem with my eBay case.
Old January 29th, 2013, 05:30 PM   #416 (permalink)

Device(s): LG Ally, Droid X, HTC Rezound, LG Spectrum, Galaxy S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandaLeX View Post
Me neither. I actually bought another. One I modified to use with the flip cover and I bought another to use without the flip cover when I feel like it. I take it off once a day to swap batteries and it still fits fine. I don't pocket it though. I love it.
Old January 29th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #417 (permalink)

Device(s):

What spigen is everyone using? Fine ultra?!? I know theres a few.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
Old January 29th, 2013, 07:39 PM   #418 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corki2 View Post
Me neither. I actually bought another. One I modified to use with the flip cover and I bought another to use without the flip cover when I feel like it. I take it off once a day to swap batteries and it still fits fine. I don't pocket it though. I love it.
Ladies, most likely you carry your phone in the purse, not the pants pocket Makes a big difference
Old January 29th, 2013, 07:42 PM   #419 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa269 View Post
What spigen is everyone using? Fine ultra?!? I know theres a few.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
We have a similar thread related to Best Screen Protectors: Best GN2 Screen Protector - probably a better place for this question But in general, a lot of people in that thread posted about oleophobic version of Spigen.
Old January 29th, 2013, 07:53 PM   #420 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Quote:

Ladies, most likely you carry your phone in the purse, not the pants pocket Makes a big difference
I could've sworn we had that assuming conversation.....psst....com'er...... closer..... I won't hit you.....I don't carry a purse.
twister6 and almath like this.
sponsored links
Old January 29th, 2013, 07:55 PM   #421 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Quote:

We have a similar thread related to Best Screen Protectors: Best GN2 Screen Protector - probably a better place for this question But in general, a lot of people in that thread posted about oleophobic version of Spigen.
Actually there are a lot of different protectors mentioned. I had the ultra crystal. It's been off my phone for about 2 months now & I haven't missed it.
Old January 29th, 2013, 08:09 PM   #422 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10sNinja View Post
Came to same conclusion. Really like that kickstand doubles as handle for a more secure grip. Still on the market for a higher end case with same specs. Also looking to buy another flip case next month: Galaxy Note 2 Vintage G-Note Diary Collection and I've already purchased a portable stand: SD Portable Multi-Angle Smartphone Desk Stand Review! due to arrive in a couple of days. Really appreciate you following up with the above review. Cheers.
Perhaps Casemate Tough Case with kickstand will fit that bill? It hasn't been released yet, but based on reviews at xda forum (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2104132), the original Tough Case for Note 2 looks pretty good. Personally, as much as I love kickstand to use in "flygrip" style, if UAG case will live up to its hype - who cares about kickstand lol!!!
Old January 29th, 2013, 08:49 PM   #423 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S5, Tab 3
Carrier: AT&T

I had the flip cover on my Note I & Note II until one day it fell out of my pocket and put some scratches on the chrome bezel on the corner.
The flip looks great and does protect the screen, but does NOT protect the rest of the phone, especially the chrome around the outer edge. That really ruined my day scratching it like that. So off came the flip and on went this rubber & plastic cover made by "Cube" I got at the local mall that protects it better. has a lip around the screen and I have a screen cover on it too. Look nice too!

Old January 29th, 2013, 09:13 PM   #424 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

If we laid all our cases on a table side by side no one could tell who made what unless it were a defender..... That's how alike 96% of these cases are.

Now I need one for my iPhone 5.
10sNinja likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to ScandaLeX For This Useful Post:
10sNinja (January 29th, 2013)
Old January 29th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #425 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus S -- Galaxy S3 --- Glaxy Note 2 / Kindle Fire -- iPad / Thinkpad 200

Just become a Note2 owner! Big screen do make me happier! Now planning to get this case------, how do you guys think of it?

Old January 29th, 2013, 10:29 PM   #426 (permalink)

Quote:
If we laid all our cases on a table side by side no one could tell who made what unless it were a defender..... That's how alike 96% of these cases are.

Now I need one for my iPhone 5.
Oh trust me, once you put new UAG on the table next to all other cases - you will know the difference, and they (URBAN ARMOR GEAR) make one for iPhone5 as well. For Note 2 their upcoming case is:

Now, tell me this will not stand out? They supposed to start shipping it first week of Feb. Can't wait!!! Got mine on order already and will review it in details as soon as I get it!
Old January 29th, 2013, 10:42 PM   #427 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack58 View Post
I had the flip cover on my Note I & Note II until one day it fell out of my pocket and put some scratches on the chrome bezel on the corner.
The flip looks great and does protect the screen, but does NOT protect the rest of the phone, especially the chrome around the outer edge. That really ruined my day scratching it like that. So off came the flip and on went this rubber & plastic cover made by "Cube" I got at the local mall that protects it better. has a lip around the screen and I have a screen cover on it too. Look nice too!

Got this one from ebay as well. The problem, similar to what I described before, the inner rubber shell is a soft silicone and it will pull away around the edges where outer plastic mesh shell is not holding it down. It will definitely offer the protection if you drop it, but you will notice over the time silicone part will loosen up and lint/dust will start getting inside. Although it's not really a big deal since its just a replaceable accessory and you can buy 3-4 of these for the price of one premium case
Old January 29th, 2013, 10:47 PM   #428 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Quote:
Oh trust me, once you put new UAG on the table next to all other cases - you will know the difference, and they (URBAN ARMOR GEAR) make one for iPhone5 as well. For Note 2 their upcoming case is:

Now, tell me this will not stand out? They supposed to start shipping it first week of Feb. Can't wait!!! Got mine on order already and will review it in details as soon as I get it!
My point exactly. You've just bought up another case. Place this next to a commuter or defender and you have the same thing. Doesn't matter which company is selling it they're all selling the same things. Somebody is replicating somebody.

I don't see this one standing out any more than the one I'm already using. But that's just me.
Old January 29th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #429 (permalink)

Quote:
My point exactly. You've just bought up another case. Place this next to a commuter or defender and you have the same thing. Doesn't matter which company is selling it they're all selling the same things. Somebody is replicating somebody.

I don't see this one standing out any more than the one I'm already using. But that's just me.
Hang on, by the same token every car is the same - a box on 4 wheels with 4 doors. From a functional point of view it will get you from point A to point B, but if you start taking into consideration different safety options, gas mileage, reliability rating, style, and so on - it's not the same. Just like with cases. True, their functional purpose is to cover the body of the phone but they all do it in their own unique way, and some do it better than others. Plus, every case looks so different.
Old January 30th, 2013, 02:08 AM   #430 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Quote:

Hang on, by the same token every car is the same - a box on 4 wheels with 4 doors. From a functional point of view it will get you from point A to point B, but if you start taking into consideration different safety options, gas mileage, reliability rating, style, and so on - it's not the same. Just like with cases. True, their functional purpose is to cover the body of the phone but they all do it in their own unique way, and some do it better than others. Plus, every case looks so different.
I definitely want to give you a detailed reply but I'm beat. Will get back to this in a day or 2.
sponsored links
Old January 30th, 2013, 11:40 AM   #431 (permalink)

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
While I understand where you were going with your analogy, I think the car example is a bad choice. Different cars would actually be represented by different phones (entirely). Different cases would actually represent different rims or body kits that are placed on the car.

And to that extent, ScandalEx has a very valid point because rims / body kits, to a certain degree, are somewhat copied from another design aspect elsewhere. Some may be made of better material than others, but all do have their unique aspects.

So really, it comes down to personal preference.
Old January 30th, 2013, 07:55 PM   #432 (permalink)

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi

Okay, I'm not fond of cases, but if I didn't mind using cases, I'd definitely be going with this:

Custom Cases Personalized | iPhone Samsung LTC HG | Wireless Emporium
JunBringer likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to drexappeal For This Useful Post:
inhalegal (February 7th, 2013)
Old January 30th, 2013, 07:59 PM   #433 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
So really, it comes down to personal preference.
Agree, everything is up to a personal preference, and we all have different taste. But its more than just a rim or a body kit to enhance the look. We are talking about different levels of protection and different levels of functionality. The case with a slippery plastic back will slide across the table if you push it with a hand by accident; the case with no corner protection will not protect the phone as much when you drop it on a concrete surface; the case with a small lip will not protect you screen while placed down; the case with a lip too wide will push on a screen protector thus lifting up the edges; the case with a protruding folding kickstand will make back of your phone uneven and hard (wobbly) to use when you have it placed on top of flat surface; the case with either soft or hard volume/power buttons will make it hard to use the phone or too easy to push it when you just grab the case; and so on. I went through at least half a dozen of very similar cases which you can file under the same-looking category, and all of them had either one or two or all of these problems (or what I consider as a problem for my taste). So, I'm still looking for that perfect case to suit my personal preference, and I'm glad to share my "journey" with you guys on this forum
drexappeal likes this.
Old January 30th, 2013, 09:14 PM   #434 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0

I'm a minimalist, I don't like to add a bunch of bulk to my phone. Plus I have the Best Buy Black Tie protection plan so if anything happens to the phone I am covered anyway. Yeah, you have to spend a few days with some POS loaner phone, but the plan pays for itself depending how often you end up using it.

I took advantage of that plan twice when I had my iPhone 3GS and it paid for itself after I dropped my phone from about 20 feet up on a cell tower (I used to work on cell towers) onto gravel and completely shattered the screen. I had to take advantage of the plan a second time after I jumped into the swimming pool with the thing in my pocket and killed it. Best Buy fully honored the Black Tie plan both times, no questions asked.

So I am not that concerned with total protection like what an Otter Box gives you, that is just too much bulk (I know, I had one on my 3GS for awhile). Not to say that I don't care about my phone, this thing is boss and I freakin love it, but I would rather just protect the battery cover which seems to be the weak point with this phone and the most susceptible to scratches, and not have to add 2x the weight and bulk and ruin the way the phone looks with some huge case. I've got some cheapo back covers I've gotten off eBay and that's all I really feel that I need on it.
drexappeal likes this.
Old January 30th, 2013, 09:15 PM   #435 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: ):

Thanked 1,108 Times in 608 Posts

Quote:
Agree, everything is up to a personal preference, and we all have different taste.
Don't forget, there is a big difference between providing a personal preference and trying to over sell a product to someone else before you have even seen or used it.
It is possible to provide an opinion without making generalized and sweeping statements without qualifications (data, evidence, etc.). It is also ok for others to have preferences other than yours. If someone is truly looking to only provide their opinion then it should not matter if anyone else in the world was in agreement or disagreement with them.
Last edited by PyroSporker; January 30th, 2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old January 30th, 2013, 09:38 PM   #436 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroSporker View Post
Don't forget, there is a big difference between providing a personal preference and trying to over sell a product to someone else before you have even seen or used it.
It is possible to provide an opinion without making generalized and sweeping statements without qualifications (data, evidence, etc.). It is also ok for others to have preferences other than yours. If you someone is truly looking to only provide their opinion then it should not matter if anyone else in the world was in agreement or disagreement with them.
If you referring to me wetting my pants about UAG case, yeah guilty as charged I'm only basing my opinion on S3 UAG case reviews and drop test i saw on YT, but I'm making an assumption it will be as good in terms of quality and protection level, although they did change the design. But I promise to give a full detailed review of this case once it start shipping.

But the whole rant above started with me taking a second look at ebay cases I got and giving my updated opinion after a month of using it. And also a comment that all these cases look a like and copy each other. I actually did that because of a number of likes and PMs I got asking about my reviews. I want others to understand it's just my opinion because I had hands'on experience, and I actually suggested before to read and watch different reviews and then go out and try some cases (like Otterbox) yourself in a local Verizon/Sprint/BestBuy stores. With ebay, you can't try it, seller from China will not accept returns (it cost them money), and I learned a lesson with defective cases and screen protectors where sellers credited my money back and then ebay suspended my buying priviledge for 2 weeks because I had 5 refunds. But that's another story...
Old January 30th, 2013, 11:31 PM   #437 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S5, Tab 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyDashOne View Post
I'm a minimalist, I don't like to add a bunch of bulk to my phone. Plus I have the Best Buy Black Tie protection plan so if anything happens to the phone I am covered anyway. Yeah, you have to spend a few days with some POS loaner phone, but the plan pays for itself depending how often you end up using it.

I took advantage of that plan twice when I had my iPhone 3GS and it paid for itself after I dropped my phone from about 20 feet up on a cell tower (I used to work on cell towers) onto gravel and completely shattered the screen. I had to take advantage of the plan a second time after I jumped into the swimming pool with the thing in my pocket and killed it. Best Buy fully honored the Black Tie plan both times, no questions asked.

So I am not that concerned with total protection like what an Otter Box gives you, that is just too much bulk (I know, I had one on my 3GS for awhile). Not to say that I don't care about my phone, this thing is boss and I freakin love it, but I would rather just protect the battery cover which seems to be the weak point with this phone and the most susceptible to scratches, and not have to add 2x the weight and bulk and ruin the way the phone looks with some huge case. I've got some cheapo back covers I've gotten off eBay and that's all I really feel that I need on it.
I have to disagree. At least for me, it is a waste of money paying almost $240 over two years for insurance I probably won't use. I've owned maybe 20 cell phones the past 10 years, never broke or had one quit. I've dropped maybe four of them, easily repaired the damage myself by changing out the housing or faceplates. I think that insurance fee is a BIG money maker for the phone companies.
Old January 31st, 2013, 11:51 AM   #438 (permalink)

Quote:

I'm a minimalist, when it comes to things like this also. I prefer keeping the phone as thin as possible. In fact, the most I put on the phone is a custom back skin and a screen protector. I paid for Geek Squad protection up front (mostly because I had a bunch of gift cards, so it didn't cost me anything out of pocket), but compared to all the other insurances available, I like the fact that Best Buy has a "no deductible" on their insurance. That's gold. I'm actually planning on going in to Best Buy, to see if I can get another back battery cover because one of the clips always seems to pry loose.
Old January 31st, 2013, 03:01 PM   #439 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy S2 Galaxy Note Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: T Mobile UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack58 View Post

I've got three of these cases ( pink/blue/red ) and love them. Think I'm going to get the purple one
Old February 1st, 2013, 05:22 PM   #440 (permalink)

Device(s): AT&T GNII 4.1.2 16GB

I actually got one of the normal screen protectors along with a 2 piece black silicone boot & black plastic "spine" that clips on the back. Ebay has them for like 6-10 bucks with a holster. It has a wide plastic kick stand that folds flush, and the wide ribs on the back make it easier to hold onto with one hand while using it.

I have used otterbox for other phones, but with the S-pen and speaker holes, it's not exactly water resistant, and some of the "full enclosure" cases I've used trapped dirt inside and scratched the casings on some of my phones.
sponsored links
Old February 1st, 2013, 06:41 PM   #441 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluthndr View Post
I actually got one of the normal screen protectors along with a 2 piece black silicone boot & black plastic "spine" that clips on the back. Ebay has them for like 6-10 bucks with a holster. It has a wide plastic kick stand that folds flush, and the wide ribs on the back make it easier to hold onto with one hand while using it.

I have used otterbox for other phones, but with the S-pen and speaker holes, it's not exactly water resistant, and some of the "full enclosure" cases I've used trapped dirt inside and scratched the casings on some of my phones.
Sounds like you got this case: Best case for note 2?
Old February 1st, 2013, 06:52 PM   #442 (permalink)

So, a while ago, twospirits posted up the extended battery case that he purchased to try out from ebay. While I liked the concept of it, I wasn't quite sure I wanted a flip cover version.

After some digging, I found this on ebay:

External Backup Battery Charger Case for Samsung Galaxy Note 2 II N7100 B0117 | eBay

I purchased one, in the hopes that it's definitely without the flip cover. I tried emailing the vendor, to see if they can definitively tell me that it does or doesn't have one, but they must have been using a translator, or couldn't quite understand my question. From their answers to me, I gathered that they were telling me that this one is different than the version with the flip cover.

What's great is that it also provides access to the s-pen. Main reason for my purchasing this, is to use on long days out when I know I'll be using my phone heavily, but don't want to carry an extra battery.
twospirits likes this.
twospirits (February 3rd, 2013)
Old February 1st, 2013, 08:15 PM   #443 (permalink)

Quote:
So, a while ago, twospirits posted up the extended battery case that he purchased to try out from ebay. While I liked the concept of it, I wasn't quite sure I wanted a flip cover version.

After some digging, I found this on ebay:

External Backup Battery Charger Case for Samsung Galaxy Note 2 II N7100 B0117 | eBay

I purchased one, in the hopes that it's definitely without the flip cover. I tried emailing the vendor, to see if they can definitively tell me that it does or doesn't have one, but they must have been using a translator, or couldn't quite understand my question. From their answers to me, I gathered that they were telling me that this one is different than the version with the flip cover.

What's great is that it also provides access to the s-pen. Main reason for my purchasing this, is to use on long days out when I know I'll be using my phone heavily, but don't want to carry an extra battery.
You might find a few of these links useful:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2082846

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2125844
drexappeal (February 1st, 2013)
Old February 1st, 2013, 08:26 PM   #444 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0

Quote:
I'm actually planning on going in to Best Buy, to see if I can get another back battery cover because one of the clips always seems to pry loose.
The battery covers are available on ebay in a variety of colors for what I consider to be a reasonable price. They are aftermarket but they look good. I just put a silver brushed aluminum battery cover on mine and it looks awesome.

But if your stock cover seems to be defective or poor fitting, then yeah, they should definitely give you a new one.

As far as minimalism, yeah I just cant stand to spend hundreds of dollars on a beautiful phone and then hide its beauty in some huge, bulky case. I would rather pay the insurance and be able to admire its naked beauty every day than to cover it up with some bulky case and have to carry around and look at a brick every day just because I'm afraid of dropping it or whatever.
Old February 1st, 2013, 09:26 PM   #445 (permalink)

Quote:
Only reason I got the ebay case, was just to have as a "backup." On every day use, I prefer having my phone fairly naked (with exception to the back skin from unique skins). It is just more convenient for me to have that, slap it on just like a case and then take it off when I'm done with the day.
Old February 1st, 2013, 09:30 PM   #446 (permalink)

Quote:
The battery covers are available on ebay in a variety of colors for what I consider to be a reasonable price. They are aftermarket but they look good. I just put a silver brushed aluminum battery cover on mine and it looks awesome.

But if your stock cover seems to be defective or poor fitting, then yeah, they should definitely give you a new one.

As far as minimalism, yeah I just cant stand to spend hundreds of dollars on a beautiful phone and then hide its beauty in some huge, bulky case. I would rather pay the insurance and be able to admire its naked beauty every day than to cover it up with some bulky case and have to carry around and look at a brick every day just because I'm afraid of dropping it or whatever.
Yeah, it wasn't like that before, but the more that I've used the phone and I swap batteries (rather than actually charging through the USB port), the clip has just seemed to have gotten more and more loose. I might go tomorrow morning, since there are a ton of errands I have to run anyway. Hopefully, Best Buy has one in stock that they can just give to me, since I have geek squad protection.

I agree. My preference is to not have to have a case on my phone. Only cases I've purchased are just for "emergency" situations.
Old February 7th, 2013, 01:02 PM   #447 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 2, HTC Rezound, Nexus 7, Nook Color running CM10

So can I make this thread come alive again! I'm...well...my husband is due for an upgrade in 11 days and of course I'm taking it! I'm still searching for a case. Right now I have a Qmadix holster case for my HTC Rezound. I really like the holster, not because I clip it to a belt, I just like the fact it gives protection to the screen part of the phone. The Defender Case looks like way too much for me, too bulky. What do you guys suggest? If there is a kickstand option, that's cool. But I find with my Nexus 7 I use my case in portrait mode alot and haven't really found that great of a case for the Note 2 that has a portrait kickstand. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old February 7th, 2013, 02:22 PM   #448 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inhalegal View Post
So can I make this thread come alive again! I'm...well...my husband is due for an upgrade in 11 days and of course I'm taking it! I'm still searching for a case. Right now I have a Qmadix holster case for my HTC Rezound. I really like the holster, not because I clip it to a belt, I just like the fact it gives protection to the screen part of the phone. The Defender Case looks like way too much for me, too bulky. What do you guys suggest? If there is a kickstand option, that's cool. But I find with my Nexus 7 I use my case in portrait mode alot and haven't really found that great of a case for the Note 2 that has a portrait kickstand. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
One of the great things about Samsung, due to their popularity w/ the S3 and Note 2, is the 3rd party accessory support both phones receive.

That said, picking out the "perfect case" is always so subjective. Everybody has different needs. In your case, just based on the small 'bit of information you've provided us, take a look at the Seidio Kickstand case and holder.

Now, since you said you use your phone in portrait mode more often than not, there are quite a few kickstand cases on ebay that allow for use in portrait or landscape mode.

While not much of a "rugged" protector, there is always the many flip cover or flip case options that are available.

To help narrow it down, I think it'd be best if you also mentioned if you prefer any particular color, any particular material on a case, simple vs. busy design, etc.
ScandaLeX and inhalegal like this.
inhalegal (February 9th, 2013)
Old February 7th, 2013, 04:59 PM   #449 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II

Default Best case for note 2?

I am waiting for my GN2 to arrive but have been looking at cases. I think I am going to pull the trigger on the Body Glove case as it looks like it will provide some protection without adding bulk. I wish the lip was a little more apparent but oh well. Now I just need to choose a screen protector.

Oh, here is a link. They have two colors: charcoal/gray and raspberry/white.

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Glove-Diamond-Design-Case/dp/B00AESY518/ref=sr_1_8?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1360276940&sr=1-8&keywords=samsung+galaxy+note+2+body+glove
Old February 12th, 2013, 10:36 AM   #450 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 2, HTC Rezound, Nexus 7, Nook Color running CM10

Any thoughts or opinions on this case? It's a Mybat Skullcap case. I really like the look of it. I know it doesn't have a kickstand, but that's ok http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=121063342617&index=1&nav=SEARCH&ni d=22506424280
Also does anyone know of a generic type belt holster that might fit this or possibly some of the other hybrid cases on ebay. I'm not too concerned about the belt clip, I just want something that protects the screen when I throw it in my purse, even with a screen cover on. Thanks!
Last edited by inhalegal; February 12th, 2013 at 03:10 PM.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2