Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 8th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Help me understand the Droid memory...

Coming from iPhone....

I usually always get the 64 GB version as I have a lot of music/video.

Since the Galaxy Note 2 is only coming with 16 GB now, with the ability to add a micro SD card...how will that work? What goes on the 16 GB and what goes on the card? How big of a card do I need and what is a good price? So should I go 16 GB phone and a 32 GB card, or get a 64 card. Where to get them cheap? Thanks for explaining.

EricE

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old November 8th, 2012, 06:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): HTCEVOV4G, Samsung Galaxy Victory
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

The internal memory is basically a built in sdcard. You can install apps, add music, videos, and whatever to it. But it also houses the phones critical system files, so from 16gb you really get about 14 or 13, it has to keep the system files on a seperate partition to make sure you don't delete them. As for an extra sdcard it really depends on what you do. I bought a 16gb card from amazon for a nice 4$, works fine like any other card would. But me personally I need more space since a couple apps I like need a large amount of extra files like NOVA and Need for Speed. Photos and videos take a lot out of memory too since its all hd and all.

tl:dr? Get as big a sdcard as you need/want. Internal memory acts like a built in sdcard.
Old November 8th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Note II (two of them) Galaxy Note 10.1 Past: Xoom, Asus Transformer, Galaxy S2, Nexus 7, Galaxy
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5964 View Post
Coming from iPhone....

Since the Galaxy Note 2 is only coming with 16 GB now, with the ability to add a micro SD card...how will that work? What goes on the 16 GB and what goes on the card? How big of a card do I need and what is a good price? So should I go 16 GB phone and a 32 GB card, or get a 64 card. Where to get them cheap? Thanks for explaining.

EricE

There was a post earlier for a 64gb card for $30.
Old November 8th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
AF Addict

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5964 View Post
Coming from iPhone....

EricE
Technically speaking, you can place whatever you want on the internal storage. Thing is, due to the amount of memory taken up by the system and bloatware, you end up with something in the 10-11gb range (available to use).

What to store on internal storage vs. external storage (e.g. micro SD card). Just to alleviate any confusion on your part, I'd put all pictures (including wallpapers), videos, music, ringtones, alert sounds on the external SD and keep the internal storage dedicated to all the system files, apps, and backup files.

Where to get a microSD for cheap? Well, it depends on what your definition of "cheap" is...LOL. That term is all relative to each person's own financial situation. Best Buy is going to have a Black Friday sale on the 32gb microSDXC (class 10) for $17, if you want to wait for that. I wouldn't doubt if there'll be some sort of great deal on the 64gb microSDXC on black friday or cyber monday as well.
Old November 8th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (AT&T), Archos 80 G9
Carrier: AT&T (home of dumbed down devices)

64gb microSDXC Class 10 @ Amazon

prices change daily
Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra 64 GB microSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card 30MB/s with Adapter SDSDQUA-064G-U46A: Computers & Accessories

and this is good thread for iphone users making the switch to Android
iPhone user with questions, thinking of getting the Note2
Last edited by Elantric; November 8th, 2012 at 07:15 PM.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2