Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By NZtechfreak
  • 1 Post By drexappeal
  • 1 Post By ScandaLeX
  • 1 Post By drexappeal
  • 1 Post By ScandaLeX

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 9th, 2012, 07:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Galaxy S, HTC Desire
Carrier: Not Provided

Talking [VIDEO] Galaxy Note Smart Dock Review

So I was lucky enough to borrow one of these from Samsung over the last few days, made a video. If you have questions I don't answer in the video ask quickly, as I have to return the dock to them very soon.

ScandaLeX, Bonez and k3Ck like this.

Advertisements
Galaxy SIII Review Part 1 & 2: http://goo.gl/8GCHG & http://goo.gl/gDYkA
Galaxy SIII & Nexus 7 Root guides: http://goo.gl/DMN5v & http://goo.gl/pQbUB
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to NZtechfreak For This Useful Post:
BleedingPurist (November 10th, 2012), Bonez (November 11th, 2012), breadnatty08 (November 10th, 2012), drexappeal (November 9th, 2012), edlex (November 11th, 2012), Gfplux (November 13th, 2012), h1r0ll3r (November 9th, 2012), Jewo (November 9th, 2012), k3Ck (November 9th, 2012), lcsolano (November 9th, 2012), Osensnolf (November 9th, 2012), Puddi (November 10th, 2012), rivera02 (November 9th, 2012), ScandaLeX (November 9th, 2012)
sponsored links
Old November 9th, 2012, 07:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Any GSM Carrier

nice review of the dock. Still on the fence if this is something I'd need or just have as a cool little accessory. Given the price of this thing, still not sure. Does look quite useful I'll give it that.
Old November 9th, 2012, 08:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1r0ll3r View Post
nice review of the dock. Still on the fence if this is something I'd need or just have as a cool little accessory. Given the price of this thing, still not sure. Does look quite useful I'll give it that.
Main thing for me is whether next years Samsungs will also work with it, would be very reassuring to go into a purchase knowing that...

Since I'm already invested in bluetooth gear and MHL I could pass on this, and just use NAS or something similar for getting video to the Note 2... Least then I'd know the stuff I had would probably work for several more generations of device.
Old November 9th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Small addition to the review: if you are a Root user and use the app Screen Standby you CAN turn the screen off the phone but keep mirroring activity to the monitor
Old November 9th, 2012, 04:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s):

Great review. I don't thing that anyone could have done a better job.

I too am not sure on how I will actually use this. If it was wireless charging so that I could keep the phone in landscape mode and use my SlingBox App and watch TV (on the phone) while also working, that would be nice. I realize that if I want to watch something on TV I'll have to set it in portrait and that is OK.

We'll see. In the past when I have rushed to buy things I often ended up with something I didn't need and could have put the money to something else... like maybe another trail cam for deer season. :-)
Old November 9th, 2012, 04:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

The more I look at the smart dock the more I wish the back area of it had been using to recharge a battery. Just seems like so much extra space behind the phone dock.
Old November 9th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandaLeX View Post
The more I look at the smart dock the more I wish the back area of it had been using to recharge a battery. Just seems like so much extra space behind the phone dock.
That would have been truly awesome. Since it is not my dock and has to be returned, I can't open the back to see how much space is there and whether that could have been done.

It would only charge a spare battery very slowly though, since the Note itself slowly loses charge whilst in the dock when connected to the external disaply and it cannot output enough power to power a portable HDD if anything else is connected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osensnolf View Post
Great review. I don't thing that anyone could have done a better job.

I too am not sure on how I will actually use this. If it was wireless charging so that I could keep the phone in landscape mode and use my SlingBox App and watch TV (on the phone) while also working, that would be nice. I realize that if I want to watch something on TV I'll have to set it in portrait and that is OK.

We'll see. In the past when I have rushed to buy things I often ended up with something I didn't need and could have put the money to something else... like maybe another trail cam for deer season. :-)
Thanks a lot!

I think you have to carefully weigh this up, at least while it is being priced at $100. Hopefully we'll see that drop with a bit of time.
Last edited by NZtechfreak; November 9th, 2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old November 9th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Note II
Carrier: Smart

i'm also on the fence about this. it would make my decision a lot easier if you were able to put the phone in landscape mode.
Old November 9th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
AF Addict

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,921 Posts

Thank you for doing this review. Now, I just hope Samsung gets this in stock again soon.
Old November 9th, 2012, 10:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
Thank you for doing this review. Now, I just hope Samsung gets this in stock again soon.
I hope the carriers also stock it in store. I really do like going in, getting what I want and riding off into the sunset. Hate waiting on delivery.
sponsored links
Old November 9th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
AF Addict

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi

Quote:
I hope the carriers also stock it in store. I really do like going in, getting what I want and riding off into the sunset. Hate waiting on delivery.
I went to a sprint store a couple weeks ago and they had it on display. That was in a remote sprint store 1.5 hours away from my house though.
Old November 10th, 2012, 12:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Quote:
I went to a sprint store a couple weeks ago and they had it on display. That was in a remote sprint store 1.5 hours away from my house though.
I SAW THEM!!!!!!!!!
But they all were marked for the S3 so I didn't ask if they'd work in the Note 2. Besides, everyone in this particular Sprint store is pretty clueless and I didn't feel like wasting my time with them.
Old November 10th, 2012, 03:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
I SAW THEM!!!!!!!!!
But they all were marked for the S3 so I didn't ask if they'd work in the Note 2. Besides, everyone in this particular Sprint store is pretty clueless and I didn't feel like wasting my time with them.
I wonder if they have a different model name, since the S3 definitely doesn't work with the one I have...
Old November 10th, 2012, 05:14 AM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s):

The Samsung Media Docks are cheaper than this and do just as good of a job albeit they only have an audio output.
Old November 10th, 2012, 10:49 AM   #15 (permalink)
AF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRonbo View Post
The Samsung Media Docks are cheaper than this and do just as good of a job albeit they only have an audio output.
Can you clarify a little. Last time I checked, this was made by Samsung.
Old November 10th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #16 (permalink)

Device(s):

Yes, both made by Samsung, but the one being reviewed is a SMART DOCK which is more expensive than the MEDIA DOCK.

I would suggest the MEDIA DOCK, that is, unless you need all the additional outputs.

Just trying to save you money.
Old November 10th, 2012, 01:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
AF Addict

Quote:
Yes, both made by Samsung, but the one being reviewed is a SMART DOCK which is more expensive than the MEDIA DOCK.

I would suggest the MEDIA DOCK, that is, unless you need all the additional outputs.

Just trying to save you money.
Is that sold on the site? Can you post the link? I'm assuming it's universal.

Save money? I have 50 percent off coupon anyway.
Old November 10th, 2012, 01:56 PM   #18 (permalink)

Device(s):

It's universal for the GS3 and the note...but check the specs.

I believe Samsung is still having their 50% off sale. Double check that and let us know.

This is coming a bit late, and I don't know how much longer
the sale will continue (it has been going since approx.10/30),
but if you go to Samsung's site you can get 50% off all phone
accessories with this code:

rE155266e

Here is a link to the Samsung Note II I1317 accessories page but
you can navigate back to the home page from there to your
specific device.

Accessories - AT&T Cell Phones SGH-I317 | Samsung Cell Phones
Old November 10th, 2012, 02:16 PM   #19 (permalink)
AF Addict

Quote:
It's universal for the GS3 and the note...but check the specs.

I believe Samsung is still having their 50% off sale. Double check that and let us know.

This is coming a bit late, and I don't know how much longer
the sale will continue (it has been going since approx.10/30),
but if you go to Samsung's site you can get 50% off all phone
accessories with this code:

rE155266e

Here is a link to the Samsung Note II I1317 accessories page but
you can navigate back to the home page from there to your
specific device.

Accessories - AT&T Cell Phones SGH-I317 | Samsung Cell Phones
Yeah, you're a little late to the party. If you look back through the accesory thread (stickied at the top), I've already purchased 7/10 accessories connected to the samsung coupon, but glad you re-hashed the information, for others that haven't been participating in the thread already and haven't seen the coupon yet.

Now, as far as docks are concerned, I'm assuming you're referring to this one:
Samsung Galaxy Universal Multimedia Desktop Dock

If that's the one you were referring to, that's FAR from the same thing. If you hadn't looked through the entire video and/or haven't looked at the photos of the Note 2 media dock vs. the universal, you'd see that there are 3 USB ports on the dock. Just to give some people a little perspective on how great that is, I have the same amount of ports on my full PC laptop! Having the ability to attach large hard drives to the Note 2 Smart dock and being to transfer files in and out from the phone is awesome. I have two 2TB hard drives and 1 3TB hard drive housing different medias that would be so great to just transfer in and out, whenever I want. It's a wired connection, which I trust more for transferring data (although wireless transfer via Airdroid works great, when in a pinch). For those that haven't seen pics, here you go:

Gallery - Cell Phone Accessories EDD-S20JWE | Samsung Cell Phones
Old November 10th, 2012, 02:31 PM   #20 (permalink)

Device(s):

drexappeal,

No doubt the more (twice as) expensive SMART DOCK is fantastic for anyone that has that kind of use for it.

I don't. Others won't either. Many will just want a docking station with audio output. In that case the MEDIA DOCK you linked to in the above post will save you a lot of money and does a great job charging your Note II while outputting audio.
sponsored links
Old November 10th, 2012, 03:25 PM   #21 (permalink)
AF Addict

Quote:
drexappeal,

No doubt the more (twice as) expensive SMART DOCK is fantastic for anyone that has that kind of use for it.

I don't. Others won't either. Many will just want a docking station with audio output. In that case the MEDIA DOCK you linked to in the above post will save you a lot of money and does a great job charging your Note II while outputting audio.
Yeah, I'm not so sure that's a great generalization (e.g. others won't either). You might assume that people will think that way, but there's no real way to quantify who would or wouldn't prefer the smart dock.

I think the difference in deciding between the two would come down to 1) Are you the type of consumer that would prefer a universal dock that might be able to work with your future devices, for simple audio connection or 2) Do you want a multi-purpose dock, specific to the phone, that will allow you access to additional media you might own, on hard drives (including audio output connection on the universal dock), and also be able to reflect that on a big screen TV for videos?

And, here's the sell...There's a 50% off deal going on right now that would allow you to purchase that smart dock at the same cost of the universal audio dock's retail price. You can do that or just spend $25 less to get the universal at 50% off. While you're saving $50 on the smart dock, you're only saving a mere $25 on the universal dock (w/ less capabilities). The only way to really spin it so that the value of the universal dock is a "better value," for those that don't need the extra USB ports, is to sell the fact that you can buy 2 of those for the current retail price of the universal dock.
ScandaLeX likes this.
Old November 10th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not so sure that's a great generalization (e.g. others won't either). You might assume that people will think that way, but there's no real way to quantify who would or wouldn't prefer the smart dock.

I think the difference in deciding between the two would come down to 1) Are you the type of consumer that would prefer a universal dock that might be able to work with your future devices, for simple audio connection or 2) Do you want a multi-purpose dock, specific to the phone, that will allow you access to additional media you might own, on hard drives (including audio output connection on the universal dock), and also be able to reflect that on a big screen TV for videos?

And, here's the sell...There's a 50% off deal going on right now that would allow you to purchase that smart dock at the same cost of the universal audio dock's retail price. You can do that or just spend $25 less to get the universal at 50% off. While you're saving $50 on the smart dock, you're only saving a mere $25 on the universal dock (w/ less capabilities). The only way to really spin it so that the value of the universal dock is a "better value," for those that don't need the extra USB ports, is to sell the fact that you can buy 2 of those for the current retail price of the universal dock.
You're really tempting me lol
Old November 10th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #23 (permalink)

Device(s):

drexappeal,

We are in complete agreement. Thanks.
Old November 10th, 2012, 05:02 PM   #24 (permalink)
AF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
You're really tempting me lol
Sorry...you're all the way in the PI, so that's a little far to quench your temptation...but you could always have your Uncle order for you...LOL.

Quote:
drexappeal,

We are in complete agreement. Thanks.
No worries. Just didn't want people to be swayed one way or the other. Like anything else, it really does come down to people's needs, but people should be informed of their purchases, prior to jumping on "whatever is cheaper," which is the main reason I had to bring up the examples and quantification of purchases.

If this does come back in stock, I'm actually very tempted to purchase 2 for different TV's in the house.
Old November 10th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #25 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

I hope I can purchase before you do cause you'll try to buy them all and place one everywhere you can think. Do you have one planned for the car too?
drexappeal likes this.
Old November 10th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #26 (permalink)
AF Addict

Quote:
I hope I can purchase before you do cause you'll try to buy them all and place one everywhere you can think. Do you have one planned for the car too?
Hahaha...funny you mention that because I was actually considering just creating a whole custom car dock using this mount. If it takes iBolt too long to come out with the Note 2 specific car dock (or it's not what I was expecting when it is released), I just might try creating a whole car CPU setup, which can all be done using this dock.
ScandaLeX likes this.
Old November 10th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #27 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Ok DrGadget. You know if you decide to do your own mod you must post pics "or it didn't happen." LOL ! ! !
drexappeal likes this.
Old November 10th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #28 (permalink)
AF Addict

Quote:
Ok DrGadget. You know if you decide to do your own mod you must post pics "or it didn't happen." LOL ! ! !
I'm more likely to get the Note 1 dock and see if I can modify it to make it work for the car.

If I do decide to attempt a custom PC Vehicle dock using the smart dock, you know I'll have pics. Had that crazy deal on the ATIV tablet dock been legit, I just might have been out of my mind enough to do it. Hardest part is my car's system is such PITA to get around (Benz likes to use fiber optics with their systems, which makes steering wheel integration and overall system integration more complicated than needed).
Old November 10th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #29 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Quote:
I'm more likely to get the Note 1 dock and see if I can modify it to make it work for the car.

If I do decide to attempt a custom PC Vehicle dock using the smart dock, you know I'll have pics. Had that crazy deal on the ATIV tablet dock been legit, I just might have been out of my mind enough to do it. Hardest part is my car's system is such PITA to get around (Benz likes to use fiber optics with their systems, which makes steering wheel integration and overall system integration more complicated than needed).
With the car complications maybe it's not worth the time and effort to DIY. Might as well get the universal or iBolt.
Has anyone other than iBolt mentioned anything about a vehicle dock for the Note 2?
Old November 10th, 2012, 11:26 PM   #30 (permalink)
AF Addict

Quote:
With the car complications maybe it's not worth the time and effort to DIY. Might as well get the universal or iBolt.
Has anyone other than iBolt mentioned anything about a vehicle dock for the Note 2?
Not that I know of. I'm really intrigued by the Note 1 dock. Does anybody know if ATT has those on display that I could see where the problem points would be on the dock?
sponsored links
Old November 11th, 2012, 12:49 AM   #31 (permalink)

Device(s):

Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,546 Posts

great review...

but last week.. i remember seeing another review of this device.. and i remember the back part housed an area to charge a 2nd battery. i even saw a pic of a battery in that area.

could there be another different version of this device.. over seas?

i cant find that review now.

DropBox: register for free space (we both get 500MB extra space): http://db.tt/sWYVl3j6
Old November 11th, 2012, 01:58 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Sorry...you're all the way in the PI, so that's a little far to quench your temptation...but you could always have your Uncle order for you...LOL.

I had him order the nfc tags for me but I just can't justify the smart dock purchase
Old November 11th, 2012, 11:59 AM   #33 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan330 View Post
great review...

but last week.. i remember seeing another review of this device.. and i remember the back part housed an area to charge a 2nd battery. i even saw a pic of a battery in that area.

I think that must have been for another dock?
Old November 11th, 2012, 12:34 PM   #34 (permalink)
AF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan330 View Post
great review...

Dan, that was just the backup battery kit, which I must say is exactly what I was hoping it would be.
Old November 12th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #35 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II
Carrier: AT&T

awesome review on the smart dock. I plan on getting one after seeing this !

Thanks!
Old November 13th, 2012, 07:29 AM   #36 (permalink)

Device(s):

Just saw this Note II dock with backup battery charger on Amazon.

Amazon.com: RND Power Solutions Deluxe Cradle / Desktop Docking Station and 2nd Battery Charger for Samsung Galaxy Note II (2) (compatible with or without a case) (black): Cell Phones & Accessories

Got at least one great review thus far.
Old November 13th, 2012, 07:38 AM   #37 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (AT&T), Archos 80 G9
Carrier: AT&T (home of dumbed down devices)

This RND Dock belongs in the Accessories thread and has no relation to this thread.
Galaxy Note 2 master Accessories List

Quote:
Just saw this Note II dock with backup battery charger on Amazon.

Amazon.com: RND Power Solutions Deluxe Cradle / Desktop Docking Station and 2nd Battery Charger for Samsung Galaxy Note II (2) (compatible with or without a case) (black): Cell Phones & Accessories

Got at least one great review thus far.

The "Smart Dock is in a class all its own and has no "third party" alternative

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories/EDD-S20JWEGSTA
Review the Smart Dock Specs:
====================
* THREE USB HOST PORTS
* HDMI OUT WITH SURROUND SOUND
* 3.5mm Analog Stereo Out
and Dock Charging of the Note2 with included AC Power adapter
Last edited by Elantric; November 13th, 2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old November 13th, 2012, 11:42 AM   #38 (permalink)

Device(s):

Thanks to the above post I found the order page for this dock.

Galaxy Note

Does the 50% discount coupon code still work for it? I could not find the box to put in the discount code (rE155266e)
Old November 13th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #39 (permalink)
AF Addict

Quote:
Thanks to the above post I found the order page for this dock.

Galaxy Note

Does the 50% discount coupon code still work for it? I could not find the box to put in the discount code (rE155266e)
It should, but when it's sold out (which it currently is), the order won't be fulfilled and you can't apply the discount. When it gets back in stock, they send you an email notifying you that it's back in stock (only thing is, I've found that I actually find out sooner than Samsung's emails, that the parts are back in stock).

This is the only item left from Samsung's website that I'm wanting to use the coupon on. I've purchased all the accessories I need directly from Samsung and it's been great! Came in handy to have 2 kits for my phone because I didn't have to wait to use the phone not on a 100% charger.
Old November 13th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #40 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (AT&T), Archos 80 G9
Carrier: AT&T (home of dumbed down devices)

Quote:
It should, but when it's sold out (which it currently is), the order won't be fulfilled and you can't apply the discount. When it gets back in stock, they send you an email notifying you that it's back in stock (only thing is, I've found that I actually find out sooner than Samsung's emails, that the parts are back in stock).

This is the only item left from Samsung's website that I'm wanting to use the coupon on. I've purchased all the accessories I need directly from Samsung and it's been great! Came in handy to have 2 kits for my phone because I didn't have to wait to use the phone not on a 100% charger.
I'm in a similar situation.

I was able to place a real order for the Smart Dock on Oct 25, 2012

Although the USA Samsung site states the Smart Dock is "Back Ordered" - I actually check three times a day - every day, and Its my opinion this product is an accessory which should be classified as "coming soon".

But they are taking orders.
https://mobile.samsung.com/accessories/addtocart.do?productid=EDD-S20JWEGSTA&returnurl=http://www.samsung.com//us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories

Quote:
The item you have chosen is currently out of stock and will be placed on back order. You will not be charged for the back order. If you wish to proceed, you will receive notification via email regarding the status of availability. Please allow us 2 weeks to receive the item you have chosen.
I called Samsung Mobile Sales just last week, and they told me these are due before December 2012, that I will get an email once the Smart Dock does arrive in the USA, and that if I call them they could apply the 50% off discount code prior to billing me.
sponsored links
Old November 17th, 2012, 09:44 PM   #41 (permalink)
AF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elantric View Post
I'm in a similar situation.

I was able to place a real order for the Smart Dock on Oct 25, 2012

Although the USA Samsung site states the Smart Dock is "Back Ordered" - I actually check three times a day - every day, and Its my opinion this product is an accessory which should be classified as "coming soon".

But they are taking orders.
https://mobile.samsung.com/accessories/addtocart.do?productid=EDD-S20JWEGSTA&returnurl=http://www.samsung.com//us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories

I called Samsung Mobile Sales just last week, and they told me these are due before December 2012, that I will get an email once the Smart Dock does arrive in the USA, and that if I call them they could apply the 50% off discount code prior to billing me.
You won't get billed for orders that were placed, but backordered. I clarified with Samsung at the end of last month when I placed my first accessories order.

They told me that when an order is placed for a backorder accessory, the item doesn't automatically ship and get charged. When you get an email saying it's back in stock, you actually have to go to the Samsung website (or call) and re-order and can re-apply the code, so it's reflected.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2