Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Like Tree29Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 30th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #51 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 23
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm hearing reports of verizon crippling this phone - the flip screen being disabled along with a constant popup for wi-fi connectivity and call blocking disabled with the Verizon models. Can anyone confirm this before I run down tomorrow and grab one of these?

People are already talking of having to root the phone on other forums because of these issues that other carriers supposedly don't have.

Advertisements
Deunan is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 30th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #52 (permalink)
Member
 
Alice Kaye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New Jersey
Gender: Female
Posts: 124
 
Device(s): VZW SG Note II
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 13
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Alice Kaye Send a message via AIM to Alice Kaye Send a message via MSN to Alice Kaye Send a message via Yahoo to Alice Kaye Send a message via Skype™ to Alice Kaye
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deunan View Post
I'm hearing reports of verizon crippling this phone - the flip screen being disabled along with a constant popup for wi-fi connectivity and call blocking disabled with the Verizon models. Can anyone confirm this before I run down tomorrow and grab one of these?

People are already talking of having to root the phone on other forums because of these issues that other carriers supposedly don't have.
As soon as a root is offered for VZW phone, I'll be doing it for much of these reasons.

But especially because I want to get rid of all this bloat!
Alice Kaye is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #53 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 77
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deunan View Post
I'm hearing reports of verizon crippling this phone - the flip screen being disabled along with a constant popup for wi-fi connectivity and call blocking disabled with the Verizon models. Can anyone confirm this before I run down tomorrow and grab one of these?

People are already talking of having to root the phone on other forums because of these issues that other carriers supposedly don't have.
Haven't heard anything about the flip part, but the others are true. It also seems the apps for multiview are limited at this time compared to other carriers. All of said problems can be fixed with root and some tinkering. (when that will happen, who knows)

I'm kind of bummed that Verizon removed the wireless charging points next to the battery though. Granted that hasn't stopped someone on youtube from removing the back of the phone even further and making wireless charging work.
roy5000x2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #54 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 768
 
Device(s): Droid X, Samsung Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 6
Thanked 56 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
I found the reception to be very good.

I returned my S3 due to bad reception, dropped calls and the inability to get 4G at home. The N2 has not dropped a call and gives solid 4G at home.

Reception was my biggest worry, and hapily it's not an issue.
Yes, both are good for me. My S3 went back for poor reception also.
__________________
Droid X and root. Not overclocked.
serpa4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #55 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 152
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Default

I just returned my N2.

I had a long talk with V about switching the unlimited on my wife's razr max with my N2 which became 2gig after upgrading my DX

They said the only way I could do it was to return the phone, order a new one using the upgrade from another line (mother in-law) and activating the phone on my line when it comes. This way both my wife's Razr and my N2 will have unlimited.

Sounds counterproductive to return a perfectly good phone that they will have to sell as a referbished or exchange instead of just switching it up electronically...but in the end it's worth waiting a couple of more days to get my unlimited back.

After playing around with the N2 and seeing how great netflix looks on this phone, I'm sure that I'll need the unlimited!
Harplayr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2012, 10:40 PM   #56 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 23
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy5000x2 View Post
Haven't heard anything about the flip part, but the others are true. It also seems the apps for multiview are limited at this time compared to other carriers. All of said problems can be fixed with root and some tinkering. (when that will happen, who knows)

I'm kind of bummed that Verizon removed the wireless charging points next to the battery though. Granted that hasn't stopped someone on youtube from removing the back of the phone even further and making wireless charging work.
So there's no flip screen issues? Thats good. Tomorrow ill get to hit a verizon store and have a chance to check it out in person. I have no experience rooting a phone and have no access to a pc to do it.

I found this on another forum but not sure if it applies to Verizon's model.

Quote:
I turned off Wi-Fi (don't use it as I'm surrounded by LTE with unlimited data) and under its settings, unchecked "Notify me" and haven't seen a single Wi-Fi notification anywhere since.
Deunan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 01:17 PM   #57 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 77
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deunan View Post
So there's no flip screen issues? Thats good. Tomorrow ill get to hit a verizon store and have a chance to check it out in person. I have no experience rooting a phone and have no access to a pc to do it.

I found this on another forum but not sure if it applies to Verizon's model.
I'm not saying there isn't (I don't have the phone yet), I just haven't heard anyone complain.
roy5000x2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 03:24 PM   #58 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Valrico, FL
Posts: 234
 
Device(s): Thunderbolt
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 34
Thanked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Default

If by flip screen you mean the phone mutes when you flip it screen down, I can confirm that does work.
__________________
My phone is Notably Too Good!!!
DroidL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 05:03 PM   #59 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Thomas S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 95
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Got the Verizon Note 2 today in Titanium. Honestly, the logo is barely noticeable. I think the darker color really helps.
Thomas S is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 05:05 PM   #60 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 284
 
Device(s): motorola photon 4g
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 49 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Im coming from the dna to the note 2. Bigger size takes getting used to. But im already noticing that certain applications actually perform better on the note 2 as opposed to the dna.
Damar1979 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 1st, 2012, 05:22 PM   #61 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 152
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas S View Post
Got the Verizon Note 2 today in Titanium. Honestly, the logo is barely noticeable. I think the darker color really helps.
I agree. Does ANYBODY really stare at the little home button when that
magnificent screen is out there for all to see?
Harplayr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 07:07 PM   #62 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: King of Prussia PA 19406
Posts: 648
 
Device(s): LG G2 (T-Mobile)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 90
Thanked 65 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damar1979 View Post
Im coming from the dna to the note 2. Bigger size takes getting used to. But im already noticing that certain applications actually perform better on the note 2 as opposed to the dna.
Why did you ditch the DNA?
DILands is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 07:38 PM   #63 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 284
 
Device(s): motorola photon 4g
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 49 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DILands View Post
Why did you ditch the DNA?

I personally think that HTC has released on Verizon, the almost perfect phone they could have made. What it boiled down 2, was the memory. I had no problems with the battery, it lasted all day. And by all day I mean taking off the charger at 7 a.m., and lasting until 10 o'clock at night before recharging. The screen was flawless. Everything about that device what, except the memory for me. Lack of a SD slot, to put movies on, hindered the device for me.
Damar1979 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 07:44 PM   #64 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: King of Prussia PA 19406
Posts: 648
 
Device(s): LG G2 (T-Mobile)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 90
Thanked 65 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damar1979 View Post
I personally think that HTC has released on Verizon, the almost perfect phone they could have made. What it boiled down 2, was the memory. I had no problems with the battery, it lasted all day. And by all day I mean taking off the charger at 7 a.m., and lasting until 10 o'clock at night before recharging. The screen was flawless. Everything about that device what, except the memory for me. Lack of a SD slot, to put movies on, hindered the device for me.

Thanks - I'm trying to figure out what to do with my S3 - serious reception issues at work - heard that the DNA rocks - but the battery, and lack of expandable memory scare me. From what I read here - it seems as if the N2 is better in the reception department than the S3. Hmmmm
DILands is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 07:49 PM   #65 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 284
 
Device(s): motorola photon 4g
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 49 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DILands View Post
Thanks - I'm trying to figure out what to do with my S3 - serious reception issues at work - heard that the DNA rocks - but the battery, and lack of expandable memory scare me. From what I read here - it seems as if the N2 is better in the reception department than the S3. Hmmmm

That is what I heard too, only time will tell though. But yes DNA also excelled in reception. I do not kid what I say that probably would have been the perfect phone, had it been for expandable memory being allowed. Or at least a 32 gig version
Damar1979 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 07:51 PM   #66 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 284
 
Device(s): motorola photon 4g
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 49 Times in 36 Posts
Default

but with that being said, I also noticed that certain application actually perform better on the note 2 as opposed to the DNA. Probably due to optimization reasons. Spider Man for 1, performs so much better on the note than it does on the dna.
Damar1979 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 12:51 AM   #67 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Southern California
Gender: Male
Posts: 7
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Is there much bloatware included on the Verizon GN2? Can it be removed?
NT6X is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 01:10 AM   #68 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 71
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damar1979 View Post
I personally think that HTC has released on Verizon, the almost perfect phone they could have made. What it boiled down 2, was the memory. I had no problems with the battery, it lasted all day. And by all day I mean taking off the charger at 7 a.m., and lasting until 10 o'clock at night before recharging. The screen was flawless. Everything about that device what, except the memory for me. Lack of a SD slot, to put movies on, hindered the device for me.
You are lucky. I just returned my DNA and picked up the Note 2 today because of my awful battery life. If you just let the phone sit there and only use it on occasion, sure its great. I got over 14 hours with it yesterday. However, when I started to actually USE it today, I was down to 42% battery after FIVE hours off the charger. I literally watched it drop from 99% down to 94% as I read an article on Phonedog for no more than five minutes. I didnt care for the stock browser either and I hated the keypad and phone part of it but I loved everything else. Loving the Note 2 so far though!
211275 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 01:25 AM   #69 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Wolfedude88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Plainfield, Indiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,754
 
Device(s): HTC Droid DNA(Red)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 357
Thanked 555 Times in 357 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 211275 View Post
You are lucky. I just returned my DNA and picked up the Note 2 today because of my awful battery life. If you just let the phone sit there and only use it on occasion, sure its great. I got over 14 hours with it yesterday. However, when I started to actually USE it today, I was down to 42% battery after FIVE hours off the charger. I literally watched it drop from 99% down to 94% as I read an article on Phonedog for no more than five minutes. I didnt care for the stock browser either and I hated the keypad and phone part of it but I loved everything else. Loving the Note 2 so far though!
I wouldn't say battery life is horrible, I get 14-16 hours of battery life with a solid 2-3 hours of on screen time. Considering how big the screen is and the resolution I think that is pretty good.

Granted I would like more and would love a battery the size of the razr maxx or the note 2's battery.
Wolfedude88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 08:35 AM   #70 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 209
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 30
Thanked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by virodeath View Post
I am not seeing an option for Internet Call Settings under call settings.

Viro
Thanks. Figured that was likely. Have to see if it will be possible with root.
dylane is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 2nd, 2012, 12:21 PM   #71 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Grovetown Ga
Gender: Male
Posts: 2
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I am not happy about the lack of support for wireless charging.
Trillionaire is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 01:02 PM   #72 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 930
 
Device(s): verizon note2; tf700; excite 7.7 (AT270)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 93
Thanked 127 Times in 107 Posts
Default

someone over at xda said it supported wireless charing; verizon just wanted you to buy a different back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillionaire View Post
I am not happy about the lack of support for wireless charging.
you2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 01:18 PM   #73 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
snuggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago/NW Indiana
Posts: 580
 
Device(s): Note 2, ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T (junk) now a paper weight! Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 91
Thanked 57 Times in 48 Posts
Default

This phone is amazing! Its so responsive and smooth, makes my ASUS TF700 tablet & Toshiba laptop look like childs play.
ScandaLeX likes this.
snuggles is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 03:07 PM   #74 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 64
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 25
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
Got mine at 1:00, been playing with it since then.
WOW I'm impressed with this gizmo!

Browsing the internet is just amazing, and it does do text reflow so I can chuck those reading glasses

Using it as an e-reader is fantastic!

Navigating and general operation is so smooth and typing on it is a breeze.

I gotta get the hang of the S-Pen...that's tomorrow's game.
What is "text reflow?" I'd like to chuck my phone goggles too.
Thanks!
Serpentine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 03:34 PM   #75 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 152
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
What is "text reflow?" I'd like to chuck my phone goggles too.
Thanks!
Text relfow:
When you're surfing the web and zoom in on the text so that you can read it better the text will reformat so that you don't have to scroll sideways to read it.

What Is Text Reflow? | eHow.com
Harplayr is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harplayr For This Useful Post:
Serpentine (December 2nd, 2012)
Old December 2nd, 2012, 04:37 PM   #76 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Thomas S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 95
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
Text relfow:
When you're surfing the web and zoom in on the text so that you can read it better the text will reformat so that you don't have to scroll sideways to read it.

What Is Text Reflow? | eHow.com
Mine is not doing a very good job of that. Is there a setting I can change? Mine is stock and when I double tap to zoom in it doesn't "text reflow".
Thomas S is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 05:38 PM   #77 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 152
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas S View Post
Mine is not doing a very good job of that. Is there a setting I can change? Mine is stock and when I double tap to zoom in it doesn't "text reflow".
Yes, I did change a setting, but forgot which one it was. I had to return the phone and won't get my replacement until Tuesday so I really can't help you out. Maybe somebody else can offer some advice.
Harplayr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 06:13 PM   #78 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Had mine since Thursday and it is an amazing phone. I went for it over the DNA to literally get rid of the small notebook I always carry at work to jot things down. I am traveling to a meeting that goes all next week so will really find out what it can do work wise. My only negatives:

1. The flip cover. Finally took it off today and went to the mall and bought a speck because that was all they had. It was a pain for me because I could not glance at the phone's indicator lights. Guess I am an addict after being with blackberry for four years. Cover also a pain for me when taking pictures.

2. I cannot believe VZW left off the calendar and email widgets. I was playing with the s-optimized calendar and email and was ready to switch from touchdown, except no widgets.
dogsnfish is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 06:13 PM   #79 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 284
 
Device(s): motorola photon 4g
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 49 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas S View Post
Mine is not doing a very good job of that. Is there a setting I can change? Mine is stock and when I double tap to zoom in it doesn't "text reflow".

It is a tad annoying, but here's how it's done. Make sure format web pages to fit screen is checked out on the internet settings. When you go to any webpage that has a article on it pinch to zoom first, after that double tap the screen. They could take a page from HTC, because all they have to do is pinch to zoom and that's it
Damar1979 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Damar1979 For This Useful Post:
Thomas S (December 2nd, 2012)
Old December 2nd, 2012, 07:28 PM   #80 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Thomas S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 95
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damar1979 View Post
It is a tad annoying, but here's how it's done. Make sure format web pages to fit screen is checked out on the internet settings. When you go to any webpage that has a article on it pinch to zoom first, after that double tap the screen. They could take a page from HTC, because all they have to do is pinch to zoom and that's it
Oh perfect! Thank you very much! Im coming from an htc evo 3d and there are a few things about it that I miss.
Thomas S is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 2nd, 2012, 07:31 PM   #81 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 284
 
Device(s): motorola photon 4g
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 49 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas S View Post
Oh perfect! Thank you very much! Im coming from an htc evo 3d and there are a few things about it that I miss.

Coming from the HTC DNA, I completely understand
Damar1979 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 09:51 PM   #82 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 28
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I know Verizon dicked us over on the Wifi ongoing notification - but I have a quick question: Does anyone get a little keyboard icon in the top left tray? It asks me to choose the input method... Sometimes I am able to get it to go away, but the notification shows up randomly later on
ThelVlaster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 09:58 PM   #83 (permalink)
Member
 
MiXoLoGiSt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 213
 
Device(s): Note 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelVlaster View Post
I know Verizon dicked us over on the Wifi ongoing notification - but I have a quick question: Does anyone get a little keyboard icon in the top left tray? It asks me to choose the input method... Sometimes I am able to get it to go away, but the notification shows up randomly later on
Yes that happens an all versions of the Note 2 while any keyboard is open. It makes it easy to switch keyboards if you want to.

It should disappear once the keyboard is closed.
MiXoLoGiSt is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MiXoLoGiSt For This Useful Post:
ThelVlaster (December 4th, 2012)
Old December 2nd, 2012, 10:19 PM   #84 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Wolfedude88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Plainfield, Indiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,754
 
Device(s): HTC Droid DNA(Red)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 357
Thanked 555 Times in 357 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiXoLoGiSt View Post
Yes that happens an all versions of the Note 2 while any keyboard is open. It makes it easy to switch keyboards if you want to.

It should disappear once the keyboard is closed.

That started on phones with ICS, I believe on tablets with Honeycomb, not specific to a certain phone or carrier.
Wolfedude88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 10:46 PM   #85 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 263
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 16
Thanked 99 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damar1979 View Post
I personally think that HTC has released on Verizon, the almost perfect phone they could have made. What it boiled down 2, was the memory. I had no problems with the battery, it lasted all day. And by all day I mean taking off the charger at 7 a.m., and lasting until 10 o'clock at night before recharging. The screen was flawless. Everything about that device what, except the memory for me. Lack of a SD slot, to put movies on, hindered the device for me.
Thats exactly how I feel about the DNA. Wonderful device virtually crippled by lack of storage. This is a device begging for media, so of course in the interest of selling higher data packages VZW removes storage. I love their coverage but their cynicism towards their customers makes me sick.
Androidcurious is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 11:11 PM   #86 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 284
 
Device(s): motorola photon 4g
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 49 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiXoLoGiSt View Post
Yes that happens an all versions of the Note 2 while any keyboard is open. It makes it easy to switch keyboards if you want to.

It should disappear once the keyboard is closed.

Actually that happens on all jellybean devices. I think ice cream sandwich too. When you have more than one keyboard enabled
Damar1979 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2012, 07:32 AM   #87 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 152
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damar1979 View Post
It is a tad annoying, but here's how it's done. Make sure format web pages to fit screen is checked out on the internet settings. When you go to any webpage that has a article on it pinch to zoom first, after that double tap the screen. They could take a page from HTC, because all they have to do is pinch to zoom and that's it
Thanks for chiming in.
That is what I did to enable text reflow.
I agree that it's a tad kludgy, but I'm happy it works. It makes the phone much more usable for my poor eyes.
Harplayr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 07:20 AM   #88 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 28
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiXoLoGiSt View Post
Yes that happens an all versions of the Note 2 while any keyboard is open. It makes it easy to switch keyboards if you want to.

It should disappear once the keyboard is closed.


Thanks ... wow I feel stupid haha
ThelVlaster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 07:59 AM   #89 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 235
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
Then don't get it.

I couldn't care less if there's a tiny logo on the case or button. Just about everything I own is branded in some way. I'll be spending my time looking at the beautiful display rather than obsessing about a tiny logo on the home button.

Typing this on my Logitech branded keyboard while looking at my Dell branded laptop screen and clicking send with my Logitech branded mouse dressed in my Levi branded jeans, Nike branded shoes and fruit of the loom branded skivies.


Agree 100% I cant believe how many people are getting cranked up about a button that is at the bottom of the phone, and takes up less than 5% of surface space ? I dont get it. Just enjoy the phone.... its great !
taxiron1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 11:05 AM   #90 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default verizon's multitask tab bar

Has anyone from verizon noticed that there are only 7 apps loaded onto the multi task tab bar? This means that we can only open 2 windows using these 7 apps. Every other carrier seems to have more apps loaded into the bar (such as facebook, youtube etc).
There is not ability to add more apps at this point to the task bar. You can delete any of the 7 apps but you can not add more.
This is a drag! Does anyone with verizon know how to get around this problem? Verizon did not have the answer and neither did Samsung.
sueoandsnow is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 4th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #91 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 17
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxiron1 View Post
Agree 100% I cant believe how many people are getting cranked up about a button that is at the bottom of the phone, and takes up less than 5% of surface space ? I dont get it. Just enjoy the phone.... its great !
Easy solution for those so bothered. You can get a matching white / titanium button cover on Ebay. Personally it just doesn't bother me that much. When I fire up that big AMOLED screen, that's all I see.

After my first few days with the N2, the main thing I have to say is "wow, it's fast". No lag, pauses, hangs...the stuff that made me leave android and get a 4s.

I was amazed by how quickly I have adopted the s-pen. I use it for all but quick texts, and use it constantly when using the internet, finding that it eliminates a lot of pinch zooming and just improves the whole experience. For a videophile like myself, the preview feature it brings on the video timeline is absolutely priceless.

As far as comparisons to the DNA....
my N2 is 16gb +64gb UHS-1 exfat = 80gb of storage....a DNA is crippled with no SD slot. On a large beautiful screen, who DOESN'T want to store some movies? I just don't understand phones without SD slots. No SD = deal breaker. BTW, my UHS-1 Sandisk 64gb card is very fast when reading and has no problem displaying HD video without frame drops, lag, sync issues, etc. While it's not as fast as on-board memory, it's fast enough for whatever one will need to do with an SD card.

Cons: One....the Kies app won't work...despite loading current java...it says "to download files install java". Fail. Other than that...

As a phone model, I think the N2 reception is so-so, but good enough with Verizon. Before buying this phone I owned ATT and Sprint N2's for a day each (thought about switching carriers for savings). The ATT went back the next day because it got no signal in the house. The Sprint went back the same day, because it got no signal in the office. Of course with Verizon the N2 works in both places and everywhere else. BUT....at home I am often around one or two bars where as my iphone was usually 4-5 bars. Of course bars by themselves are meaningless, so I did some RF testing and the N2 is about 7 db below what my 4s was on average. Not a big deal, but I do think Samsung needs to do a little better jobs on their radios. On a side note, the N2 has separate 4G and RF antennas so it can do voice with data, something no iphone does on Verizon. So the reception issue is moot for me with Verizon, at worst a very minor irritant for OCD people like me.

Size? How can anyone who buys a large screened "phablet" complain about size really? I see a benefit and will will live with packing a huge phone. Cost? For what you get, it's actually a good value.

Overall, this is the best cell phone ever made IMHO.
mormandy3 is offline  
Last edited by mormandy3; December 4th, 2012 at 04:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 04:53 PM   #92 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 28
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueoandsnow View Post
Has anyone from verizon noticed that there are only 7 apps loaded onto the multi task tab bar? This means that we can only open 2 windows using these 7 apps. Every other carrier seems to have more apps loaded into the bar (such as facebook, youtube etc).
There is not ability to add more apps at this point to the task bar. You can delete any of the 7 apps but you can not add more.
This is a drag! Does anyone with verizon know how to get around this problem? Verizon did not have the answer and neither did Samsung.

If you use Chrome or Skype, I know a link where you can download apk files which allow Multi Window use without root
ThelVlaster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Tags
samsung galaxy note first impressions


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.