Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Like Tree29Likes

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 30th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #51 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

I'm hearing reports of verizon crippling this phone - the flip screen being disabled along with a constant popup for wi-fi connectivity and call blocking disabled with the Verizon models. Can anyone confirm this before I run down tomorrow and grab one of these?

People are already talking of having to root the phone on other forums because of these issues that other carriers supposedly don't have.

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old November 30th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #52 (permalink)

Device(s): VZW SG Note II
Carrier: Verizon

Send a message via ICQ to Alice Kaye Send a message via AIM to Alice Kaye Send a message via MSN to Alice Kaye Send a message via Yahoo to Alice Kaye Send a message via Skype™ to Alice Kaye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deunan View Post
I'm hearing reports of verizon crippling this phone - the flip screen being disabled along with a constant popup for wi-fi connectivity and call blocking disabled with the Verizon models. Can anyone confirm this before I run down tomorrow and grab one of these?

People are already talking of having to root the phone on other forums because of these issues that other carriers supposedly don't have.
As soon as a root is offered for VZW phone, I'll be doing it for much of these reasons.

But especially because I want to get rid of all this bloat!
Old November 30th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #53 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II

Quote:

Haven't heard anything about the flip part, but the others are true. It also seems the apps for multiview are limited at this time compared to other carriers. All of said problems can be fixed with root and some tinkering. (when that will happen, who knows)

I'm kind of bummed that Verizon removed the wireless charging points next to the battery though. Granted that hasn't stopped someone on youtube from removing the back of the phone even further and making wireless charging work.
Old November 30th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #54 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid X, Samsung Note 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
I found the reception to be very good.

I returned my S3 due to bad reception, dropped calls and the inability to get 4G at home. The N2 has not dropped a call and gives solid 4G at home.

Reception was my biggest worry, and hapily it's not an issue.
Yes, both are good for me. My S3 went back for poor reception also.
Old November 30th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #55 (permalink)

Device(s):

I just returned my N2.

I had a long talk with V about switching the unlimited on my wife's razr max with my N2 which became 2gig after upgrading my DX

They said the only way I could do it was to return the phone, order a new one using the upgrade from another line (mother in-law) and activating the phone on my line when it comes. This way both my wife's Razr and my N2 will have unlimited.

Sounds counterproductive to return a perfectly good phone that they will have to sell as a referbished or exchange instead of just switching it up electronically...but in the end it's worth waiting a couple of more days to get my unlimited back.

After playing around with the N2 and seeing how great netflix looks on this phone, I'm sure that I'll need the unlimited!
Old November 30th, 2012, 10:40 PM   #56 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy5000x2 View Post
Haven't heard anything about the flip part, but the others are true. It also seems the apps for multiview are limited at this time compared to other carriers. All of said problems can be fixed with root and some tinkering. (when that will happen, who knows)

I'm kind of bummed that Verizon removed the wireless charging points next to the battery though. Granted that hasn't stopped someone on youtube from removing the back of the phone even further and making wireless charging work.
So there's no flip screen issues? Thats good. Tomorrow ill get to hit a verizon store and have a chance to check it out in person. I have no experience rooting a phone and have no access to a pc to do it.

I found this on another forum but not sure if it applies to Verizon's model.

Quote:
I turned off Wi-Fi (don't use it as I'm surrounded by LTE with unlimited data) and under its settings, unchecked "Notify me" and haven't seen a single Wi-Fi notification anywhere since.
Old December 1st, 2012, 01:17 PM   #57 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II

Quote:
So there's no flip screen issues? Thats good. Tomorrow ill get to hit a verizon store and have a chance to check it out in person. I have no experience rooting a phone and have no access to a pc to do it.

I found this on another forum but not sure if it applies to Verizon's model.
I'm not saying there isn't (I don't have the phone yet), I just haven't heard anyone complain.
Old December 1st, 2012, 03:24 PM   #58 (permalink)

Device(s): Thunderbolt

If by flip screen you mean the phone mutes when you flip it screen down, I can confirm that does work.
Old December 1st, 2012, 05:03 PM   #59 (permalink)

Device(s):

Got the Verizon Note 2 today in Titanium. Honestly, the logo is barely noticeable. I think the darker color really helps.
Old December 1st, 2012, 05:05 PM   #60 (permalink)

Device(s): motorola photon 4g

Im coming from the dna to the note 2. Bigger size takes getting used to. But im already noticing that certain applications actually perform better on the note 2 as opposed to the dna.
sponsored links
Old December 1st, 2012, 05:22 PM   #61 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas S View Post
Got the Verizon Note 2 today in Titanium. Honestly, the logo is barely noticeable. I think the darker color really helps.
I agree. Does ANYBODY really stare at the little home button when that
magnificent screen is out there for all to see?
Old December 1st, 2012, 07:07 PM   #62 (permalink)
AF Contributor

Device(s): LG G2 (T-Mobile)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damar1979 View Post
Im coming from the dna to the note 2. Bigger size takes getting used to. But im already noticing that certain applications actually perform better on the note 2 as opposed to the dna.
Why did you ditch the DNA?
Old December 1st, 2012, 07:38 PM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DILands View Post
Why did you ditch the DNA?

I personally think that HTC has released on Verizon, the almost perfect phone they could have made. What it boiled down 2, was the memory. I had no problems with the battery, it lasted all day. And by all day I mean taking off the charger at 7 a.m., and lasting until 10 o'clock at night before recharging. The screen was flawless. Everything about that device what, except the memory for me. Lack of a SD slot, to put movies on, hindered the device for me.
Old December 1st, 2012, 07:44 PM   #64 (permalink)
AF Contributor

Device(s): LG G2 (T-Mobile)

Quote:
I personally think that HTC has released on Verizon, the almost perfect phone they could have made. What it boiled down 2, was the memory. I had no problems with the battery, it lasted all day. And by all day I mean taking off the charger at 7 a.m., and lasting until 10 o'clock at night before recharging. The screen was flawless. Everything about that device what, except the memory for me. Lack of a SD slot, to put movies on, hindered the device for me.

Thanks - I'm trying to figure out what to do with my S3 - serious reception issues at work - heard that the DNA rocks - but the battery, and lack of expandable memory scare me. From what I read here - it seems as if the N2 is better in the reception department than the S3. Hmmmm
Old December 1st, 2012, 07:49 PM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DILands View Post
Thanks - I'm trying to figure out what to do with my S3 - serious reception issues at work - heard that the DNA rocks - but the battery, and lack of expandable memory scare me. From what I read here - it seems as if the N2 is better in the reception department than the S3. Hmmmm

That is what I heard too, only time will tell though. But yes DNA also excelled in reception. I do not kid what I say that probably would have been the perfect phone, had it been for expandable memory being allowed. Or at least a 32 gig version
Old December 1st, 2012, 07:51 PM   #66 (permalink)

but with that being said, I also noticed that certain application actually perform better on the note 2 as opposed to the DNA. Probably due to optimization reasons. Spider Man for 1, performs so much better on the note than it does on the dna.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 12:51 AM   #67 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 2

Is there much bloatware included on the Verizon GN2? Can it be removed?
Old December 2nd, 2012, 01:10 AM   #68 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
You are lucky. I just returned my DNA and picked up the Note 2 today because of my awful battery life. If you just let the phone sit there and only use it on occasion, sure its great. I got over 14 hours with it yesterday. However, when I started to actually USE it today, I was down to 42% battery after FIVE hours off the charger. I literally watched it drop from 99% down to 94% as I read an article on Phonedog for no more than five minutes. I didnt care for the stock browser either and I hated the keypad and phone part of it but I loved everything else. Loving the Note 2 so far though!
Old December 2nd, 2012, 01:25 AM   #69 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Droid DNA(Red)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 211275 View Post
You are lucky. I just returned my DNA and picked up the Note 2 today because of my awful battery life. If you just let the phone sit there and only use it on occasion, sure its great. I got over 14 hours with it yesterday. However, when I started to actually USE it today, I was down to 42% battery after FIVE hours off the charger. I literally watched it drop from 99% down to 94% as I read an article on Phonedog for no more than five minutes. I didnt care for the stock browser either and I hated the keypad and phone part of it but I loved everything else. Loving the Note 2 so far though!
I wouldn't say battery life is horrible, I get 14-16 hours of battery life with a solid 2-3 hours of on screen time. Considering how big the screen is and the resolution I think that is pretty good.

Granted I would like more and would love a battery the size of the razr maxx or the note 2's battery.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 08:35 AM   #70 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by virodeath View Post
I am not seeing an option for Internet Call Settings under call settings.

Viro
Thanks. Figured that was likely. Have to see if it will be possible with root.
sponsored links
Old December 2nd, 2012, 12:21 PM   #71 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 2

I am not happy about the lack of support for wireless charging.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 01:02 PM   #72 (permalink)

Device(s): verizon note2; tf700; excite 7.7 (AT270)

someone over at xda said it supported wireless charing; verizon just wanted you to buy a different back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillionaire View Post
I am not happy about the lack of support for wireless charging.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 01:18 PM   #73 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 2, ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T (junk) now a paper weight! Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

This phone is amazing! Its so responsive and smooth, makes my ASUS TF700 tablet & Toshiba laptop look like childs play.
ScandaLeX likes this.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 03:07 PM   #74 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Got mine at 1:00, been playing with it since then.
WOW I'm impressed with this gizmo!

Browsing the internet is just amazing, and it does do text reflow so I can chuck those reading glasses

Using it as an e-reader is fantastic!

Navigating and general operation is so smooth and typing on it is a breeze.

I gotta get the hang of the S-Pen...that's tomorrow's game.
What is "text reflow?" I'd like to chuck my phone goggles too.
Thanks!
Old December 2nd, 2012, 03:34 PM   #75 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
What is "text reflow?" I'd like to chuck my phone goggles too.
Thanks!
Text relfow:
When you're surfing the web and zoom in on the text so that you can read it better the text will reformat so that you don't have to scroll sideways to read it.

What Is Text Reflow? | eHow.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Harplayr For This Useful Post:
Serpentine (December 2nd, 2012)
Old December 2nd, 2012, 04:37 PM   #76 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Text relfow:
When you're surfing the web and zoom in on the text so that you can read it better the text will reformat so that you don't have to scroll sideways to read it.

What Is Text Reflow? | eHow.com
Mine is not doing a very good job of that. Is there a setting I can change? Mine is stock and when I double tap to zoom in it doesn't "text reflow".
Old December 2nd, 2012, 05:38 PM   #77 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Mine is not doing a very good job of that. Is there a setting I can change? Mine is stock and when I double tap to zoom in it doesn't "text reflow".
Yes, I did change a setting, but forgot which one it was. I had to return the phone and won't get my replacement until Tuesday so I really can't help you out. Maybe somebody else can offer some advice.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 06:13 PM   #78 (permalink)

Device(s):

Had mine since Thursday and it is an amazing phone. I went for it over the DNA to literally get rid of the small notebook I always carry at work to jot things down. I am traveling to a meeting that goes all next week so will really find out what it can do work wise. My only negatives:

1. The flip cover. Finally took it off today and went to the mall and bought a speck because that was all they had. It was a pain for me because I could not glance at the phone's indicator lights. Guess I am an addict after being with blackberry for four years. Cover also a pain for me when taking pictures.

2. I cannot believe VZW left off the calendar and email widgets. I was playing with the s-optimized calendar and email and was ready to switch from touchdown, except no widgets.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 06:13 PM   #79 (permalink)

Quote:

It is a tad annoying, but here's how it's done. Make sure format web pages to fit screen is checked out on the internet settings. When you go to any webpage that has a article on it pinch to zoom first, after that double tap the screen. They could take a page from HTC, because all they have to do is pinch to zoom and that's it
The Following User Says Thank You to Damar1979 For This Useful Post:
Thomas S (December 2nd, 2012)
Old December 2nd, 2012, 07:28 PM   #80 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
It is a tad annoying, but here's how it's done. Make sure format web pages to fit screen is checked out on the internet settings. When you go to any webpage that has a article on it pinch to zoom first, after that double tap the screen. They could take a page from HTC, because all they have to do is pinch to zoom and that's it
Oh perfect! Thank you very much! Im coming from an htc evo 3d and there are a few things about it that I miss.
sponsored links
Old December 2nd, 2012, 07:31 PM   #81 (permalink)

Quote:
Oh perfect! Thank you very much! Im coming from an htc evo 3d and there are a few things about it that I miss.

Coming from the HTC DNA, I completely understand
Old December 2nd, 2012, 09:51 PM   #82 (permalink)

Device(s):

I know Verizon dicked us over on the Wifi ongoing notification - but I have a quick question: Does anyone get a little keyboard icon in the top left tray? It asks me to choose the input method... Sometimes I am able to get it to go away, but the notification shows up randomly later on
Old December 2nd, 2012, 09:58 PM   #83 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelVlaster View Post
I know Verizon dicked us over on the Wifi ongoing notification - but I have a quick question: Does anyone get a little keyboard icon in the top left tray? It asks me to choose the input method... Sometimes I am able to get it to go away, but the notification shows up randomly later on
Yes that happens an all versions of the Note 2 while any keyboard is open. It makes it easy to switch keyboards if you want to.

It should disappear once the keyboard is closed.
The Following User Says Thank You to MiXoLoGiSt For This Useful Post:
ThelVlaster (December 4th, 2012)
Old December 2nd, 2012, 10:19 PM   #84 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Droid DNA(Red)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiXoLoGiSt View Post
Yes that happens an all versions of the Note 2 while any keyboard is open. It makes it easy to switch keyboards if you want to.

That started on phones with ICS, I believe on tablets with Honeycomb, not specific to a certain phone or carrier.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 10:46 PM   #85 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Thats exactly how I feel about the DNA. Wonderful device virtually crippled by lack of storage. This is a device begging for media, so of course in the interest of selling higher data packages VZW removes storage. I love their coverage but their cynicism towards their customers makes me sick.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 11:11 PM   #86 (permalink)

Quote:

Actually that happens on all jellybean devices. I think ice cream sandwich too. When you have more than one keyboard enabled
Old December 3rd, 2012, 07:32 AM   #87 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Thanks for chiming in.
That is what I did to enable text reflow.
I agree that it's a tad kludgy, but I'm happy it works. It makes the phone much more usable for my poor eyes.
Old December 4th, 2012, 07:20 AM   #88 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:

Thanks ... wow I feel stupid haha
Old December 4th, 2012, 07:59 AM   #89 (permalink)

Device(s):

Angry

Quote:
Then don't get it.

I couldn't care less if there's a tiny logo on the case or button. Just about everything I own is branded in some way. I'll be spending my time looking at the beautiful display rather than obsessing about a tiny logo on the home button.

Typing this on my Logitech branded keyboard while looking at my Dell branded laptop screen and clicking send with my Logitech branded mouse dressed in my Levi branded jeans, Nike branded shoes and fruit of the loom branded skivies.

Agree 100% I cant believe how many people are getting cranked up about a button that is at the bottom of the phone, and takes up less than 5% of surface space ? I dont get it. Just enjoy the phone.... its great !
Old December 4th, 2012, 11:05 AM   #90 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default verizon's multitask tab bar

Has anyone from verizon noticed that there are only 7 apps loaded onto the multi task tab bar? This means that we can only open 2 windows using these 7 apps. Every other carrier seems to have more apps loaded into the bar (such as facebook, youtube etc).
There is not ability to add more apps at this point to the task bar. You can delete any of the 7 apps but you can not add more.
This is a drag! Does anyone with verizon know how to get around this problem? Verizon did not have the answer and neither did Samsung.
sponsored links
Old December 4th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #91 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxiron1 View Post
Agree 100% I cant believe how many people are getting cranked up about a button that is at the bottom of the phone, and takes up less than 5% of surface space ? I dont get it. Just enjoy the phone.... its great !
Easy solution for those so bothered. You can get a matching white / titanium button cover on Ebay. Personally it just doesn't bother me that much. When I fire up that big AMOLED screen, that's all I see.

After my first few days with the N2, the main thing I have to say is "wow, it's fast". No lag, pauses, hangs...the stuff that made me leave android and get a 4s.

I was amazed by how quickly I have adopted the s-pen. I use it for all but quick texts, and use it constantly when using the internet, finding that it eliminates a lot of pinch zooming and just improves the whole experience. For a videophile like myself, the preview feature it brings on the video timeline is absolutely priceless.

As far as comparisons to the DNA....
my N2 is 16gb +64gb UHS-1 exfat = 80gb of storage....a DNA is crippled with no SD slot. On a large beautiful screen, who DOESN'T want to store some movies? I just don't understand phones without SD slots. No SD = deal breaker. BTW, my UHS-1 Sandisk 64gb card is very fast when reading and has no problem displaying HD video without frame drops, lag, sync issues, etc. While it's not as fast as on-board memory, it's fast enough for whatever one will need to do with an SD card.

Cons: One....the Kies app won't work...despite loading current java...it says "to download files install java". Fail. Other than that...

As a phone model, I think the N2 reception is so-so, but good enough with Verizon. Before buying this phone I owned ATT and Sprint N2's for a day each (thought about switching carriers for savings). The ATT went back the next day because it got no signal in the house. The Sprint went back the same day, because it got no signal in the office. Of course with Verizon the N2 works in both places and everywhere else. BUT....at home I am often around one or two bars where as my iphone was usually 4-5 bars. Of course bars by themselves are meaningless, so I did some RF testing and the N2 is about 7 db below what my 4s was on average. Not a big deal, but I do think Samsung needs to do a little better jobs on their radios. On a side note, the N2 has separate 4G and RF antennas so it can do voice with data, something no iphone does on Verizon. So the reception issue is moot for me with Verizon, at worst a very minor irritant for OCD people like me.

Size? How can anyone who buys a large screened "phablet" complain about size really? I see a benefit and will will live with packing a huge phone. Cost? For what you get, it's actually a good value.

Overall, this is the best cell phone ever made IMHO.
Last edited by mormandy3; December 4th, 2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old December 4th, 2012, 04:53 PM   #92 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueoandsnow View Post
Has anyone from verizon noticed that there are only 7 apps loaded onto the multi task tab bar? This means that we can only open 2 windows using these 7 apps. Every other carrier seems to have more apps loaded into the bar (such as facebook, youtube etc).
There is not ability to add more apps at this point to the task bar. You can delete any of the 7 apps but you can not add more.
This is a drag! Does anyone with verizon know how to get around this problem? Verizon did not have the answer and neither did Samsung.

If you use Chrome or Skype, I know a link where you can download apk files which allow Multi Window use without root

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Tags
samsung galaxy note first impressions

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2