Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By drexappeal
  • 1 Post By schimm
  • 1 Post By colnago
  • 1 Post By colnago
  • 1 Post By drexappeal

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 29th, 2012, 09:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pacific NW USA
Posts: 12
 
Device(s): Samsung GN2 ATT
Carrier: ATT

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Can SGN2 lock screen be completely disabled?

Are there any other road warriors using SGN2?

I'm finding that using my SGN2 is not nearly as convenient as my BB Torch was while driving - particularly hands-free dialing and incoming call handling through vehicle's bluetooth.

I'm particularly annoyed at the lock screen which I can't seem to defeat/disable. S-Voice doesn't wake up and unlock the phone as advertised, so that requires hands-on. Once awakened and unlocked, the voice commands do seem to work OK.

The 5-minute maximum screen on-time doesn't bode well for using the generous screen for GPS use either.

Has anybody overcome these challenges? Sad to say I'm tempted to put the old BB and Garmin back in service.

Thanks

Al

Advertisements
allenh is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 29th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 220
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 10
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

When you say lock screen, do you mean disabling a passcode or the like feature? Just want clification. Also, on my Tmobile Note I have a max screen time of 10 minutes before locking though sometimes I do want/wish I had the option of "never" like my iphone did.

Once in Navigation mode, my screen sleep/lock mode is disabled automatically.
NeuDroid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,950
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,374
Thanked 2,815 Times in 1,900 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenh View Post
Are there any other road warriors using SGN2?

I'm finding that using my SGN2 is not nearly as convenient as my BB Torch was while driving - particularly hands-free dialing and incoming call handling through vehicle's bluetooth.

I'm particularly annoyed at the lock screen which I can't seem to defeat/disable. S-Voice doesn't wake up and unlock the phone as advertised, so that requires hands-on. Once awakened and unlocked, the voice commands do seem to work OK.

The 5-minute maximum screen on-time doesn't bode well for using the generous screen for GPS use either.

Has anybody overcome these challenges? Sad to say I'm tempted to put the old BB and Garmin back in service.

Thanks

Al
If you have your phone plugged in, while in the car:

Menu>System Settings>Developer Options>Click Toggle for Stay awake

If you keep your phone plugged in, while in the car, that should prevent the screen from turning off while driving.

Now, there is one caveat. If you have your work emails also connected to your phone, there might be some limitations as far as security is concerned. Just for example, I also use my phone for work and the Exchange security doesn't allow me to use the "stay awake" toggle. I did, however, find an app that's supposed to keep the phone on (but the other night, while the phone was plugged in, I noticed it didn't really work...LOL).

Hopefully, that'll help get you what you needed.
twospirits likes this.
__________________
Love the G-Note series!
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 09:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 423
 
Device(s): HTC Rezound, Droid X, Xoom
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 21
Thanked 85 Times in 60 Posts
Default

No Lock is a free app you can DL where you never see the lock screen.
twospirits likes this.
schimm is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to schimm For This Useful Post:
KOLIO (December 2nd, 2012), Puddi (November 30th, 2012)
Old November 29th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,089
 
Device(s): - T-Mobile Defy on AT&T 850/3G, or on T-Mo - AT&T Galaxy Note on AT&T - T-Mobile Gal Tab 7.0 Plus on
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 220 Times in 198 Posts
Default

> Settings >Lock screen >Screen lock... choose "None"




For the screen to never turn off, even when not connected to a charger, I use an app called "Quick Settings", by halfbit. It allows for a "never" timeout however you may have to go into the app's settings, and set the screen timeout switch to be visible.
twospirits likes this.
colnago is offline  
Last edited by colnago; November 29th, 2012 at 10:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 10:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pacific NW USA
Posts: 12
 
Device(s): Samsung GN2 ATT
Carrier: ATT

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuDroid View Post
When you say lock screen, do you mean disabling a passcode or the like feature? Just want clification. Also, on my Tmobile Note I have a max screen time of 10 minutes before locking though sometimes I do want/wish I had the option of "never" like my iphone did.

Once in Navigation mode, my screen sleep/lock mode is disabled automatically.


Thanks Neu,

I mean not having to use a passcode at all. ATT Note 2's have 5-min. screen timeout limit and 5-min. lockout limit.
allenh is offline  
Last edited by allenh; November 29th, 2012 at 10:09 PM. Reason: didn't see entire post, fix
Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 10:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pacific NW USA
Posts: 12
 
Device(s): Samsung GN2 ATT
Carrier: ATT

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by colnago View Post
> Settings >Lock screen >Screen lock... choose "None"




For the screen to never turn off, even when not connected to a charger, I use an app called "Quick Settings", by halfbit. It allows for a "never" timeout however you may have to go into the app's settings, and set the screen timeout switch to be visible.

Thanks Col,

The settings on your screenshot aren't available or grayed out on mine. And "quick settings" settings that are applicable to the question are also non-responsive.

Starting to sound like it's that Exchange server sync issue locking me out from taking control of system settings.
allenh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 10:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pacific NW USA
Posts: 12
 
Device(s): Samsung GN2 ATT
Carrier: ATT

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schimm View Post
No Lock is a free app you can DL where you never see the lock screen.
Thanks Schimm,

No go on No Lock. Doesn't deliver the functionality I'm looking for.
allenh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,089
 
Device(s): - T-Mobile Defy on AT&T 850/3G, or on T-Mo - AT&T Galaxy Note on AT&T - T-Mobile Gal Tab 7.0 Plus on
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 220 Times in 198 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenh View Post
Thanks Col,

The settings on your screenshot aren't available or grayed out on mine. And "quick settings" settings that are applicable to the question are also non-responsive.

Starting to sound like it's that Exchange server sync issue locking me out from taking control of system settings.
Really? When I set quick settings to "never":




I get this under the system timeout settings:

twospirits likes this.
colnago is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 11:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pacific NW USA
Posts: 12
 
Device(s): Samsung GN2 ATT
Carrier: ATT

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by colnago View Post
Really? When I set quick settings to "never":




I get this under the system timeout settings:


I get a different set of menu choices. And 'screen timeout' just beeps when i press the link. No other response.
allenh is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 30th, 2012, 12:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,089
 
Device(s): - T-Mobile Defy on AT&T 850/3G, or on T-Mo - AT&T Galaxy Note on AT&T - T-Mobile Gal Tab 7.0 Plus on
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 220 Times in 198 Posts
Default

Who's "Quick Settings" app did you install? There are at least (4) different developers.


With Quick Settings, you may have to move the screen timeout button from the "hidden" menu,




...to the "visible", before it will work:

colnago is offline  
Last edited by colnago; November 30th, 2012 at 12:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2012, 06:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,089
 
Device(s): - T-Mobile Defy on AT&T 850/3G, or on T-Mo - AT&T Galaxy Note on AT&T - T-Mobile Gal Tab 7.0 Plus on
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 220 Times in 198 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenh View Post

...I'm particularly annoyed at the lock screen which I can't seem to defeat/disable. S-Voice doesn't wake up and unlock the phone as advertised, so that requires hands-on. Once awakened and unlocked, the voice commands do seem to work OK....
I "finally" got the unlock via voice to work... had to reboot ate enabling the voice to wake. Now I have a mic icon on the lock screen.





However if I have to wake the phone with a button press, and then use voice to "unlock", what's the point? It takes longer to say a phrase than to swipe.
colnago is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2012, 09:02 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 209
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 30
Thanked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Can you just have the screen timeout after some time period, but the phone not lock? I want to just be able to tap the screen to have it come back on, not press a button and then slide to unlock every couple of minutes.
dylane is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2012, 10:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,089
 
Device(s): - T-Mobile Defy on AT&T 850/3G, or on T-Mo - AT&T Galaxy Note on AT&T - T-Mobile Gal Tab 7.0 Plus on
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 220 Times in 198 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylane View Post
Can you just have the screen timeout after some time period, but the phone not lock? I want to just be able to tap the screen to have it come back on, not press a button and then slide to unlock every couple of minutes.
Post #5 will get you close to what you want.
colnago is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to colnago For This Useful Post:
dylane (November 30th, 2012)
Old November 30th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,950
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,374
Thanked 2,815 Times in 1,900 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by colnago View Post
> Settings >Lock screen >Screen lock... choose "None"




For the screen to never turn off, even when not connected to a charger, I use an app called "Quick Settings", by halfbit. It allows for a "never" timeout however you may have to go into the app's settings, and set the screen timeout switch to be visible.
App says that Quick Settings can't support 4.0 and up and they recommend switching to Settings Extended
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hb.settings#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDIxMiwi Y29tLmhiLnNldHRpbmdzIl0.

Thanks for posting the info though. I might check this out.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2012, 07:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Wasn't Me
 
ScandaLeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PhiLLy
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,802
 
Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Thanks: 1,159
Thanked 943 Times in 614 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by colnago View Post
Post #5 will get you close to what you want.
Well, this has turned into one confusing thread.
I don't know if what's being asked is about screen time-out or disabling the lock screen completely. Both of which can be done without the need of additional apps. What am I missing?
ScandaLeX is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 12:27 AM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,089
 
Device(s): - T-Mobile Defy on AT&T 850/3G, or on T-Mo - AT&T Galaxy Note on AT&T - T-Mobile Gal Tab 7.0 Plus on
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 220 Times in 198 Posts
Default

1. Screen lock can be disabled via Lock screen settings.

2. Setting the screen to "never sleep when not plugged in" may need a 3rd party app for some versions of the phone. I am able to acheive this with the "Quick Settings" app, made by halfbit. I'm sure other will work as well.
colnago is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 01:19 AM   #18 (permalink)
Wasn't Me
 
ScandaLeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PhiLLy
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,802
 
Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Thanks: 1,159
Thanked 943 Times in 614 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by colnago View Post
1. Screen lock can be disabled via Lock screen settings.

2. Setting the screen to "never sleep when not plugged in" may need a 3rd party app for some versions of the phone. I am able to acheive this with the "Quick Settings" app, made by halfbit. I'm sure other will work as well.
Settings/ Developer options/ Stay awake.....Is your phone missing that setting?
ScandaLeX is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 01:28 AM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,089
 
Device(s): - T-Mobile Defy on AT&T 850/3G, or on T-Mo - AT&T Galaxy Note on AT&T - T-Mobile Gal Tab 7.0 Plus on
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 220 Times in 198 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandaLeX View Post
Settings/ Developer options/ Stay awake.....Is your phone missing that setting?
Right...but the rest of that sentence is??? One's goal may be to have the phone stay wake when "not" connected to power.
colnago is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 01:29 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,950
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,374
Thanked 2,815 Times in 1,900 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandaLeX View Post
Settings/ Developer options/ Stay awake.....Is your phone missing that setting?
colnago mentioned when not plugged in.

Oh, and for those that have encrypted exchange for work, keeping phone awake while plugged in gets disabled (at least for me), so I tried an app called any screen timeout, but that didn't work, so I found another app called "full brightness when plugged in" and that works no problem.
drexappeal is online now  
Last edited by drexappeal; December 1st, 2012 at 01:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 1st, 2012, 05:18 AM   #21 (permalink)
Wasn't Me
 
ScandaLeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PhiLLy
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,802
 
Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Thanks: 1,159
Thanked 943 Times in 614 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by colnago View Post
Right...but the rest of that sentence is??? One's goal may be to have the phone stay wake when "not" connected to power.
Thank you. I did not see not.
ScandaLeX is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 10:45 AM   #22 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

It's probably your connection to Exchange which is preventing the "none"on LOCK SCREEN Choices. If I set up a VPN on the phone the least secure setting is passcode. The lowerer secure types are grayed out.

Alex
aburman1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 11:20 AM   #23 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pacific NW USA
Posts: 12
 
Device(s): Samsung GN2 ATT
Carrier: ATT

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default quick settings

I installed the version you suggested. Does not work for me - because -

Hat tip to alburman1
I do have an Exchange account for my work email, calendar, contacts, etc. Unfortunately you give up ultimate control control in the name of security, which makes sense, but disables an Android phone from being truly roadworthy - FOR BUSINESS!!! Some other settings change also. This gives administrator authority to the company Exchange server (and technerd) you're connected to, so beware.

BB10 reportedly offers two distinct phone use identities that can coexist and allows quick swap back and forth. Android developers??????


Will try the "full brightness when plugged in" app and see if it helps.


This forum (which is people, after all) is great.



Quote:
Originally Posted by colnago View Post
Who's "Quick Settings" app did you install? There are at least (4) different developers.


With Quick Settings, you may have to move the screen timeout button from the "hidden" menu,




...to the "visible", before it will work:

allenh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 01:52 PM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,950
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,374
Thanked 2,815 Times in 1,900 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenh View Post
I installed the version you suggested. Does not work for me - because -

Hat tip to alburman1
I do have an Exchange account for my work email, calendar, contacts, etc. Unfortunately you give up ultimate control control in the name of security, which makes sense, but disables an Android phone from being truly roadworthy - FOR BUSINESS!!! Some other settings change also. This gives administrator authority to the company Exchange server (and technerd) you're connected to, so beware.

BB10 reportedly offers two distinct phone use identities that can coexist and allows quick swap back and forth. Android developers??????


Will try the "full brightness when plugged in" app and see if it helps.


This forum (which is people, after all) is great.
Look at my post earlier. Already mentioned exchange preventing the phone from staying awake.

I found 2 options that have helped me.
1) I'm using the App called "Full Brightness when plugged in" from the app store. Works prefect for me. You can toggle to have phone never sleep when plugged in or not.

2) I also have it set from the systems settings to not let phone sleep while I'm looking at it. This doesn't work well at night but with any light on, works great.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 01:52 AM   #25 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pacific NW USA
Posts: 12
 
Device(s): Samsung GN2 ATT
Carrier: ATT

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default apologies

aburman1, give me that cookie back, I'm going to give it to Drex. He was first!!!

"full brightness ........." app does keep my N2 from timing off and back to lock screen whie plugged in. Don't see any setting to prevent sleeping when not plugged in. Haven't used it in car yet while nav. Will test and report back.

Sorry Drex. you're the bestest androider ever.


Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
Look at my post earlier. Already mentioned exchange preventing the phone from staying awake.

I found 2 options that have helped me.
1) I'm using the App called "Full Brightness when plugged in" from the app store. Works prefect for me. You can toggle to have phone never sleep when plugged in or not.

2) I also have it set from the systems settings to not let phone sleep while I'm looking at it. This doesn't work well at night but with any light on, works great.
allenh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 01:53 PM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,950
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,374
Thanked 2,815 Times in 1,900 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenh View Post
aburman1, give me that cookie back, I'm going to give it to Drex. He was first!!!

"full brightness ........." app does keep my N2 from timing off and back to lock screen whie plugged in. Don't see any setting to prevent sleeping when not plugged in. Haven't used it in car yet while nav. Will test and report back.

Sorry Drex. you're the bestest androider ever.
lol... All good.
oh, really? My bad. I thought the bottom setting on the app had a toggle to keep from sleeping while not plugged, but it's just brightness setting. There were a bunch of different apps I found with keywords "keep screen awake". I stopped looking one I found what I needed for plugged in scenarios...which I'm not so sure anymore that the one I found really works either
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 02:18 PM   #27 (permalink)
Wasn't Me
 
ScandaLeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PhiLLy
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,802
 
Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Thanks: 1,159
Thanked 943 Times in 614 Posts
Default

So let me see if I got this right-
aburman1 tries to help- gets cookie. Didn't work so we give 1/2 eaten cookie to DrEx....... DrEx, I'd demand a fresh cookie!
ScandaLeX is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 02:26 PM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,950
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,374
Thanked 2,815 Times in 1,900 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandaLeX View Post
So let me see if I got this right-
aburman1 tries to help- gets cookie. Didn't work so we give 1/2 eaten cookie to DrEx....... DrEx, I'd demand a fresh cookie!
l don't mind. The holidays the been brutal with my eating habits...Iol
ScandaLeX likes this.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Tags
lock screen, lock screen android, lock screen problem


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.