Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

New Forums: Nexus Player | Nexus 9
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NeuDroid

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 3rd, 2012, 10:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 49
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default External HD for Note 2

Guys i have a 500GB external HD and thinking to buy a cable to link it. My question is this compatible with the phone? Meaning the phone can read and write on the HD. If yes then what is the limit, is this possible upto 1TB and up?

Advertisements
Vela_Ocampo is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 3rd, 2012, 10:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 220
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 10
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

You can definitely transfer files to and from. I do it with my 8gb flash drive stick. Not sure if it can read a 500gb drive but I would venture to say so. Cable is only $3 off ebay, buy it and report back

Also, phone will most likely not be able to power that drive so you'll have to plug the power source to the drive.
NeuDroid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2012, 10:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 49
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuDroid View Post
You can definitely transfer files to and from. I do it with my 8gb flash drive stick. Not sure if it can read a 500gb drive but I would venture to say so. Cable is only $3 off ebay, buy it and report back

Also, phone will most likely not be able to power that drive so you'll have to plug the power source to the drive.
haha i will only buy the cable if this thing works... currently i only have external hd and no flash drives... but if you have hd pls try and post again
Vela_Ocampo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2012, 10:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 70
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Credit goes to the author of the video.

Watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9MSX10RZRE&feature=youtube_gdata_player
justpastfinish is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justpastfinish For This Useful Post:
Vela_Ocampo (December 3rd, 2012)
Old December 3rd, 2012, 11:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 220
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 10
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vela_Ocampo View Post
haha i will only buy the cable if this thing works... currently i only have external hd and no flash drives... but if you have hd pls try and post again
I actually do have a 500gb hardrive. I'll try it and get back to you, never even considered trying it because it wasn't of concern to me but hey........because it's you....check back later
ScandaLeX likes this.
NeuDroid is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NeuDroid For This Useful Post:
Vela_Ocampo (December 4th, 2012)
Old December 3rd, 2012, 11:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 49
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpastfinish View Post
Credit goes to the author of the video.

Watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9MSX10RZRE&feature=youtube_gdata_player
it can read up to 250GB without an external power source but damn why the next sample is 2TB, still puzzled if this thing works with 500GB
Vela_Ocampo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 12:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 70
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vela_Ocampo View Post
it can read up to 250GB without an external power source but damn why the next sample is 2TB, still puzzled if this thing works with 500GB
I believe he used a powered usb hub. I have a powered usb hub and I can connect my 320 gig just fine
justpastfinish is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 01:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Rtlsnksteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: California
Posts: 87
 
Device(s): Note 2
Carrier: At&t

Thanks: 4
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vela_Ocampo View Post
it can read up to 250GB without an external power source but damn why the next sample is 2TB, still puzzled if this thing works with 500GB
yes it will work with a powered 500 GB external.
Rtlsnksteve is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 01:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 49
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtlsnksteve View Post
yes it will work with a powered 500 GB external.
you mean i need to have an AC cord for 500GB? what i have is plug and play type of HD no external power source.
Vela_Ocampo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 01:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 49
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpastfinish View Post
I believe he used a powered usb hub. I have a powered usb hub and I can connect my 320 gig just fine
yes he used external power source for 2TB. He mentioned in the comment portion he only have 2 H. Drives - 250GB and 2TB.
Vela_Ocampo is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 4th, 2012, 02:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
Wasn't Me
 
ScandaLeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PhiLLy
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,813
 
Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Thanks: 1,167
Thanked 949 Times in 618 Posts
Default

I've seen a lot of post that state you need an external power source because the phone cannot power the drive or something real close to that.
__________________
If you've been helped by anyone click THANKS
ScandaLeX is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 03:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 49
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandaLeX View Post
I've seen a lot of post that state you need an external power source because the phone cannot power the drive or something real close to that.
neudroid will try the 500GB, cant wait for the good news
Vela_Ocampo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 03:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 220
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 10
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Just tried my hard drive and it does work great BUT my hard drive DOES require an external power source just as thought.
NeuDroid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 03:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 49
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuDroid View Post
Just tried my hard drive and it does work great BUT my hard drive DOES require an external power source just as thought.
so will not work for my HD... the only terminal it got is for usb connection
Vela_Ocampo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 04:45 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 220
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 10
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vela_Ocampo View Post
so will not work for my HD... the only terminal it got is for usb connection
That may not necessarily be the case. If your hd does not have an external power source inlet to begin with then might that mean all that's needed to power that hd is power found at the pc port, 5v.

After reading your post I looked at my hd drive again and realized that my particular hd drive MUST be plugged into an outlet to be used on anything, whether its a pc or not. Oversight on my part and I've confirmed it by attaching the usb from the external hd to my pc, nothing happened unless I plugged it's power source. I rarely use it so I forgot!. My fiancÚ has a hd that's purely powered via usb like yours but I dont recall the capacity of it.
NeuDroid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 49
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuDroid View Post
That may not necessarily be the case. If your hd does not have an external power source inlet to begin with then might that mean all that's needed to power that hd is power found at the pc port, 5v.

After reading your post I looked at my hd drive again and realized that my particular hd drive MUST be plugged into an outlet to be used on anything, whether its a pc or not. Oversight on my part and I've confirmed it by attaching the usb from the external hd to my pc, nothing happened unless I plugged it's power source. I rarely use it so I forgot!. My fiancÚ has a hd that's purely powered via usb like yours but I dont recall the capacity of it.
i guess there is still hope for me thanks

anyone here have the same external HD as mine? pls take a test on your note 2...
Vela_Ocampo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.