Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 9th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: So. East FL & Long Island
Posts: 216
 
Device(s): Blackberry Storm 2 Waiting for VZW Note
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Default Syncing with Outlook

I finally bought a Note 2 after hanging around here for over a year. When AT&T synced my contacts from my Blackberry the native Note 2 Contacts truncated the BB Note field which in some cases had lots of information. And they never synced the Calendar, Notes or Tasks.

So, I'd like to resync from my laptop but will I still be limited by the native Contacts app and how can I get around that. What is currently the best software for that and I guess it has to work with jellybean. And, to avoid duplication of Contacts, how do I get rid of what's already on the phone or do I just "prefer" that which is on the computer and the sync software will kill what's there?

Advertisements
dlcpa is offline  
Last edited by dlcpa; December 9th, 2012 at 03:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 9th, 2012, 07:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 152
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Default

If you want a continuous sync (or every 10 minutes) companionlink for Outlook is a great program I've been using for years. It syncs your outlook (both ways) with your google account, and therefore updates all of your contacts and calendar on the phone. Outlook Sync Software - Sync Outlook contacts and calendar -- CompanionLink Software
Harplayr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: So. East FL & Long Island
Posts: 216
 
Device(s): Blackberry Storm 2 Waiting for VZW Note
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
If you want a continuous sync (or every 10 minutes) companionlink for Outlook is a great program I've been using for years. It syncs your outlook (both ways) with your google account, and therefore updates all of your contacts and calendar on the phone. Outlook Sync Software - Sync Outlook contacts and calendar -- CompanionLink Software
Hi and thanks for the reply. I don't want to sync to Google at all. I want to sync to my computer and email I usually don't sync.
dlcpa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 152
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcpa View Post
Hi and thanks for the reply. I don't want to sync to Google at all. I want to sync to my computer and email I usually don't sync.
When you sync to google it automatically syncs to your phone, that way Outlook on your PC, Google AND your phone are all in sync.

Any appointment, contact or change you make cascades to all three.
Harplayr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 12:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Maine
Gender: Male
Posts: 220
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 26
Thanked 44 Times in 37 Posts
Default

dlcpa, I had good luck exporting my contacts as a CSV file from Blackberry Desktop. You can then import the CSV in whatever you want to use. If you have problems with certain fields you can open the CSV file in Excel and modify it to match the other program.

Sounds harder than it is, only took me 30 minutes to do the whole thing, including cleaning out dupes/conflicts and to reconfigure.
TheOtherBill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 07:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 152
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBill View Post
dlcpa, I had good luck exporting my contacts as a CSV file from Blackberry Desktop. You can then import the CSV in whatever you want to use. If you have problems with certain fields you can open the CSV file in Excel and modify it to match the other program.

Sounds harder than it is, only took me 30 minutes to do the whole thing, including cleaning out dupes/conflicts and to reconfigure.
That's a great option for a one-shot import, but I went with the companionlink so that all of my devices are allways in sync.
Harplayr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 08:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Are you on an Exchange server? You can select "push" and it will keep all devices in synch. I did not copy anything over from my Incredible 2 when I upgraded to the GN2 last week, and all of my contacts were pushed to the GN2. VZW did copy all of my contacts to my Inc2 when I upgraded from a BB. The exchange server then pushed all contacts and I ended up with duplicates, so I had to go through and link all of them.
dogsnfish is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: So. East FL & Long Island
Posts: 216
 
Device(s): Blackberry Storm 2 Waiting for VZW Note
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsnfish View Post
Are you on an Exchange server? You can select "push" and it will keep all devices in synch. I did not copy anything over from my Incredible 2 when I upgraded to the GN2 last week, and all of my contacts were pushed to the GN2. VZW did copy all of my contacts to my Inc2 when I upgraded from a BB. The exchange server then pushed all contacts and I ended up with duplicates, so I had to go through and link all of them.
No exhange server and all my information is on Outlook 10 on my laptop and was on my Blackberry Storm 2. That is it. There was nothing online or on a company server. I'd like to keep it that way and be able sync my Note 2 to my Win laptop and Outlook from MS Office 10, totally without Google or any cloud and at the same time I'd prefer not to lose Contact Fields, that are in Outlook, to whatever goes to the Note 2, nor do I want the Outlook note field truncated in the Galaxy Note. Is that possible?

Am I explaining this right?
dlcpa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 04:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Md
Gender: Male
Posts: 10
 
Device(s): Samsung Note 2
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Try an app called touchdown
Doc750 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 04:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
menmyjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Midwest
Gender: Male
Posts: 217
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 22
Thanked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc750 View Post
Try an app called touchdown
I don't think that touchdown will work without an outlook server to do what he wants. I don't think it is possible to do what he wants wirelessly without using Google?
menmyjeep is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 12th, 2012, 06:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North Wales, UK
Posts: 322
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note II SIM Free. GT-N7100. OS 4.1.2 JB
Carrier: UK '3' Network

Thanks: 244
Thanked 82 Times in 71 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcpa View Post
No exhange server and all my information is on Outlook 10 on my laptop and was on my Blackberry Storm 2. That is it. There was nothing online or on a company server. I'd like to keep it that way and be able sync my Note 2 to my Win laptop and Outlook from MS Office 10, totally without Google or any cloud and at the same time I'd prefer not to lose Contact Fields, that are in Outlook, to whatever goes to the Note 2, nor do I want the Outlook note field truncated in the Galaxy Note. Is that possible?

Am I explaining this right?


Yes and yes to both questions. I don't trust the 'cloud' and keep my data well clear of it, so I have used MyFileExplorer to sync to Outlook 2007 for some 6 months without problems. It might be as well if you check out the options at 'File/Setting/Sync/Advanced' before hand though.
PiscesCloud is offline  
Last edited by PiscesCloud; December 12th, 2012 at 09:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 08:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Arizona, U.S.A.
Gender: Male
Posts: 142
 
Device(s): ASUS TF-101, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 & 3.
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 12
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default

OP; I too have looked for exactly what you want and have not found anything that works without hassles.
I have been reading that MS will be releasing an Android connector with Office 2013......... Maybe in April???????
I'm not holding my breath.
I'll gladly stay away from the cloud if possible.

Lateck,
Lateck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 09:58 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 601
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note II
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 22
Thanked 99 Times in 79 Posts
Default

Maybe this?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fjsoft.myphoneexplorer.client&hl=en
lcneed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: So. East FL & Long Island
Posts: 216
 
Device(s): Blackberry Storm 2 Waiting for VZW Note
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Default

I have a trial on Deja Office and CompanionLink (which is now $50..did I get that right?) I thought it was $14.99.

The problem I am finding is that the Samsung mail program stinks. The Note Field is too short, I have no idea how many fields it picks up from MS Office and reading the mail is painful especially when you have multiple days worth as it takes forever as it keeps reloading.

Is there anything that replaces the Samsung or is it Jellybean mail/contacts system entirely. I keep getting prompted by Deja Office about entering stuff in the Deja Journal...what a pain.

As far as MS Office for Android, I have a feeling you will need the cloud and Office 360 and that is anpther pain and an unnecessary expense plus, I don't want to be in the clouds..I don't trust it.
dlcpa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 12:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 209
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 30
Thanked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcpa View Post
I have a trial on Deja Office and CompanionLink (which is now $50..did I get that right?) I thought it was $14.99.

The problem I am finding is that the Samsung mail program stinks. The Note Field is too short, I have no idea how many fields it picks up from MS Office and reading the mail is painful especially when you have multiple days worth as it takes forever as it keeps reloading.

Is there anything that replaces the Samsung or is it Jellybean mail/contacts system entirely. I keep getting prompted by Deja Office about entering stuff in the Deja Journal...what a pain.

As far as MS Office for Android, I have a feeling you will need the cloud and Office 360 and that is anpther pain and an unnecessary expense plus, I don't want to be in the clouds..I don't trust it.
I have heard good things about Touchdown ($20) and K9 mail (free I think), but haven't used either of these yet. I thought I had read that Touchdown has a separate contact db from the main one, but that might just be for Exchange contacts? Still might be worth looking into.
dylane is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 152
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Default

I used K0 with my DX, but I acutally like the one that comes native on the N2, so I've been using that one. I don't have any problem with reloading.
Harplayr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Tags
jellybean, outlook, sync


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.