Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 15th, 2012, 04:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Three

Default GN2 making use of extn SD card

Hi there

I am a noob, and I recently paid 240 toward a GN2 handset on a good contract with 3 in the UK because I decided to jump from my vintage Nokia to the crest of the wave with a fantastic new mobile device. I spent a further 45 on a 64gb Class 10 SDXC card so that my fantastic new device has a fantastic 80gb of memory. You guessed it, I am disappointed to find that with Jelly Bean I cannot install or move apps to the external card. Having installed a few apps and a game I am already through 6gb of my 16gb onboard memory. I don't feel ready to root my phone as I don't really know anything about it - in terms of what's a safe reliable way to do it, the potential issues with breaking it, undoing any mistakes, voiding warranty, opening the door to malware, and so on.

So I was wondering, is there any way to make decent use of the ext SD card? For example, can you set the camera to save pix and video to the ext card by default? Or email / messaging to store messages on the ext card? Even if apps like games are installed on the main memory, can you make them store their data on the ext card? I've looked in App Manager and Storage but I can't see a way of doing this. Is there an app that helps you do this?

I realise I can move some files manually to the card but it's not a very efficient use of time. It just seems pretty crazy to me to have such a powerful device capable of so much and have a slot for a 64gb card available, and then not be able to use it in a meaningful way.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Advertisements
Last edited by slowmandroid; December 15th, 2012 at 04:51 AM.
sponsored links
Old December 15th, 2012, 04:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Often Off Piste

Device(s): Galaxy Note2 Int. GT-N7100 rooted twrp,Galaxy S3mini,Desire GSM Rooted 4EXT, HTCwildfireS
Carrier: Free mobile (France)

Thanked 1,142 Times in 966 Posts

Hi

Yes, a lot of apps can be set to save to the extSdCard folder, which is your SD card. Generally the setting is found by using the menu button while the app is running. Certainly all photos, videos can be set to go there by default. Open the camera, press the cog and scroll to the bottom and set storage to Memory Card. I keep all my music on the SD card and the music app finds them OK.

Roger
Old December 15th, 2012, 05:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Hi Roger - thanks for that - I hadn't spotted that. However when I do that, it tells me "Single shots will be saved to the SD card. Burst shots will be saved to the device storage". It doesn't give me any option to change that... mostly I'll be taking single shots or video so that's a help, though strange you can't set burst mode to save to the ext card too...
Last edited by slowmandroid; December 15th, 2012 at 05:17 AM.
Old December 15th, 2012, 05:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2 16GB Titanium on O2 UK with 64GB Sandisk class 10 micro SD card
Carrier: O2-UK

Send a message via ICQ to Liam548

Fully agree with this post. Considering the 16gb note2 is actually 10gb really then it is just crazy we can't use the sd cards
Old December 15th, 2012, 05:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

I have to say I do feel a bit misled - the guys in the 3 shop I spoke to about it were quick to point out you could expand the storage by 64gb. Admittedly I didn't get into the finer points about what could be put on the card (and I ended up buying the phone through a third party company anyway) but I just assumed that it would be fine to install stuff to the hugely expanded memory, because, well, it's completely NUTS that you can't do it!!

What do we do - lobby Google / Samsung for an OS update that allows you to do this??
Old December 15th, 2012, 05:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Vodafone

Rooting is easy and safe if you read/research and do it with a cool head.

Move Apps to SD card (Directory Bind)
Old December 15th, 2012, 02:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Carrier: AT&T

Not being able to place apps on the SD card is a change Google made to Android with jellybean. I don't think you can get around it by rooting, but I haven't tried it myself.
They had a sort of valid reason for the change but a lot of people think they could have gone a step further. Maybe someday.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Tags
apps on sd card, galaxy note 2, move apps to sd, store app data on sd card

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2