Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

View Poll Results: What's everyone's opinion on NFC?
Overrated 14 29.17%
Useful 16 33.33%
Indifferent 18 37.50%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree10Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 20th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
AF Addict
Thread Author (OP)
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,100
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,410
Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,921 Posts
Default NFC on the Note 2 - Overrated or Useful or Indifferent?

With all the hype about NFC, Google Wallet, etc. on 2012 phones, I wanted to see what everybody thought about it.

I personally feel like it was completely overblown. And these are my gripes:

1) NFC file transfer is awful and unreliable compared to sending dropbox links for download, or even transferring via wifi. I spent a good amount of time just trying to get my Note 2 to sync up with my cousin's Photon Q. Then, once it did seem like it transferred, when I looked at his phone, there were no files transferred at all. That commercial where the 2 guys transfer a playlist using NFC with their s3's. I call b.s. That's exactly what I was trying to do between my Note 2 and my cousin's Photon Q. In the amount of time that I was trying to transfer an album to him, I could've already uploaded the files onto dropbox, sent him the download link, wait for him to download, and delete the album from my dropbox account.

2) Google Wallet...great concept, but there are no stores/gas stations/etc. anywhere near me that actually use this form of payment. Only exception is The Container Store (and only time I've shopped there is to purchase a collector's box to house my signed boxing glove). And it's not like I'm in a market that wouldn't use it (I live in L.A.).

3) Even though I can set up wireless charging with both my International Note 2 and Sprint Note 2, what's the point of that if it takes so much longer to charge?...LOL. This isn't an issue for me, since I have extra batteries, but still another thing that's more "gimic" than anything I find completely useful.

I'm curious as to what everyone else feels about this. I seriously might not even keep my NFC tags. Seeing as how much longer it seems for me to get NFC working on things I want it to do, the tags might annoy me just as much as the main things that I'd use NFC for.

Post your thoughts, after voting on the Poll.

Advertisements
__________________
Love the G-Note series!
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 20th, 2012, 05:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: KCMO
Posts: 545
 
Device(s): N7 (12&13), Note 2, GNex, N1, G1, TF
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 30
Thanked 87 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Yeah, haven't really found it all that useful.

Can't use GWallet on my Tmo Note 2. Had it on my GNex. The only places I could use it were a bunch of places I don't frequent and McD's. At the McD's, only about a 1/3 of the terminals actually functioned and the stores don't seem to care. When it did work, in the places I was using it, one would have to try pretty hard to get to the limit where the store asks for a sig on card transactions. The phone payments always seem to take longer to communicate to the terminal, then have the actual transaction process. With my card, I swipe and walk away in about the same time it takes for Wallet to talk to the terminal the first time.

Transfers, can't say I've found a good use for them other than novelty and yes, so far, those are slow. It's easier for me to say that I'll email it to them at some point when it is convenient.

I bought some of the Tectiles. Some of the features don't even work right and it seems the actual Tectiles won't work with my GNex or my N7. I can program them with someone else's program but then you have to have that program on any device you want to have read it. Which means using it as a form of "business card" or calling card is hit or miss at best as there doesn't seem to be a standard from what I'm seeing.

So far, I'm unimpressed.
chimphappyhour is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
chasers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Atlanta
Gender: Female
Posts: 217
 
Device(s): Note 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 77
Thanked 41 Times in 23 Posts
Default

My family used the NFC chip last night sharing a 4 min video it was easy once we lined up the S3's to my N2. Transfer was smooth.
chasers is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
wyndslash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,478
 
Device(s): Note II
Carrier: Smart

Thanks: 354
Thanked 336 Times in 300 Posts
Default

1) isn't that s-beam? i use an nfc tag before going to bed and after getting up. i find it's useful for me so i won't have to toggle all the settings over and over. it's not bad. i can live without the feature, but it's nice to have.

3) i think wireless charging would be useful for those microusb ports in the phone that are already loose and won't charge as fast as it used to...?
__________________
Like my avatar? I got it here: Android net custom icon pack series 3
wyndslash is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
chasers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Atlanta
Gender: Female
Posts: 217
 
Device(s): Note 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 77
Thanked 41 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
1) isn't that s-beam? i use an nfc tag before going to bed and after getting up. i find it's useful for me so i won't have to toggle all the settings over and over. it's not bad. i can live without the feature, but it's nice to have.

3) i think wireless charging would be useful for those microusb ports in the phone that are already loose and won't charge as fast as it used to...?
Ya know I think you're right oops
chasers is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
AF Addict
Thread Author (OP)
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,100
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,410
Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,921 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasers View Post
Ya know I think you're right oops
Yeah, S-Beam might be okay, but S-beam I think is a combination of wifi and NFC...I believe.

NFC transfer between different OEM's...pretty awful. What's funny is, I did a quick search while trying to figure out why it wasn't working, and there are a few places talking about how it doesn't work well. As much as people were yelling for NFC to be included in last years phones, I almost want to say that the product wasn't ready for all the things that it's supposed to accomplish. Even though the phones are NFC capable, it loses appeal quick when it doesn't work easily and smoothly right away.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
chasers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Atlanta
Gender: Female
Posts: 217
 
Device(s): Note 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 77
Thanked 41 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
Yeah, S-Beam might be okay, but S-beam I think is a combination of wifi and NFC...I believe.

NFC transfer between different OEM's...pretty awful. What's funny is, I did a quick search while trying to figure out why it wasn't working, and there are a few places talking about how it doesn't work well. As much as people were yelling for NFC to be included in last years phones, I almost want to say that the product wasn't ready for all the things that it's supposed to accomplish. Even though the phones are NFC capable, it loses appeal quick when it doesn't work easily and smoothly right away.
Def didn't use wifi when doing the transfer last night. I'm gonna do my homework on NFC. Really didn't consider that a factor when purchasing this phone
chasers is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 07:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
AF Addict
Thread Author (OP)
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,100
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,410
Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,921 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasers View Post
Def didn't use wifi when doing the transfer last night. I'm gonna do my homework on NFC. Really didn't consider that a factor when purchasing this phone
Then maybe it was the fact that they're the same manufacturer. Cross manufacturer transfers via NFC are definitely a PITA.

Me neither. NFC was more of a "bonus," for my needs. But there were a lot of people last year, while waiting through all the phone releases, that were whining and complaining about there being no NFC in any of the phones.

But now that it's here, it's been more of a joke to me than actually useful.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 23
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I find the Tec Tiles to be unreliable. It takes a long time for the phone to read them. I use them to change phone profiles but they're finicky to active.
drexappeal likes this.
gspam1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gspam1 For This Useful Post:
drexappeal (December 21st, 2012)
Old December 20th, 2012, 08:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 601
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note II
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 22
Thanked 99 Times in 79 Posts
Default

The touch phones back transfer thing uses NFC to establish contact between the 2 phones, and then use S-Beam which uses direct WiFi between the phones to transfer the files. That's what they shows on commercials. It does work really well. My niece and I both goth the Note II and we could transfer media files between the phones really fast. I am sure it doesn't really "need" the NFC to establish contact. It could've been just be like BT and select a phone and do it that way. I guess NFC touching is just cooler.

There are people who use the NFC tag like macros... to perform certain things. I am sure it is handy, but I don't think it is for me. As of now, I don't really need the NFC.
lcneed is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 20th, 2012, 09:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
almath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St. Louis
Gender: Female
Posts: 455
 
Device(s): Evo 4g Nexus S 4g Sprint Galaxy Nexus Lte Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 106
Thanked 228 Times in 182 Posts
Default

What I remember most about near field communication is for the pumped up, highly disappointing Google wallet. Oh it was mentioned all the time "it has near field communication". Personally I was totally let down by Google wallet, I only used it so I could spend that free money they gave me. Remember the video, had us all souped up! I'm not one bit worried about Google wallet or nfc tags and such, didn't care when I purchased this phone. OVERRATED!
drexappeal and ScandaLeX like this.
almath is offline  
Last edited by almath; December 20th, 2012 at 09:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 10:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Thomas S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 95
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

I find it useful. I've used it with several friends to transfer files and it works really well. Haven't used Google Wallet but I plan to.
Thomas S is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 08:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Miffis
Posts: 128
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note II, Xoom WiFi
Carrier: Magenta

Thanks: 5
Thanked 32 Times in 7 Posts
Default

It's only really of value to me for mobile wallets. I'm not willing to engage in the amount of hackery necessary to get Wallet working on the phone at this point, and ISIS isn't available here yet. I'm a fan of NFC payments overall, so I'll be using whichever one becomes available first- but bonus points go to ISIS as I have a Chase Freedom card, and their setup won't launder transactions like Wallet does... so I should still get my rewards points in the quarterly specialty categories.

I may call TMo and see if I can con them out of an NFC SIM.
BRM10984 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 11:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Amarillo, Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 39
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Motorola Xoom
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I really haven't had much problems with NFC but then again i really don't use it much. Cant seem to find people with NFC enabled phones and the few times had opportunity to use it, most of the time i forgot i had it and just MMS pics or shared files on Drive.
I bought some NFC tags but i always seem to forget to use it. And now that i have discovered Tasker, tags seems useless.
FrancisJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2012, 02:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
Wasn't Me
 
ScandaLeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PhiLLy
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,803
 
Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Thanks: 1,160
Thanked 943 Times in 614 Posts
Default

You're good- I was about to ask where the poll was but something said "refresh" before replying. LOL!

I haven't used NFC. In fact I returned the TecTiles. I realized they were more than I need.
I could see programming 1 or 2 but 5- no need for that many.

Haven't been able to use S-Beam; no one else has a Note II or SIII to beam anything to.
Everybody around me either has the SII or some no named phone I've never heard of.

I think I need to find me some technically advanced friends.....
__________________
If you've been helped by anyone click THANKS
ScandaLeX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2012, 09:17 AM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
chasers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Atlanta
Gender: Female
Posts: 217
 
Device(s): Note 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 77
Thanked 41 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandaLeX View Post
You're good- I was about to ask where the poll was but something said "refresh" before replying. LOL!

I haven't used NFC. In fact I returned the TecTiles. I realized they were more than I need.
I could see programming 1 or 2 but 5- no need for that many.

Haven't been able to use S-Beam; no one else has a Note II or SIII to beam anything to.
Everybody around me either has the SII or some no named phone I've never heard of.

I think I need to find me some technically advanced friends.....
The S Beam on the S2 works on my mom t mobile phone. She had to use kies to update software though. The setting is there for NFC and S Beam
chasers is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
AF Addict
Thread Author (OP)
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,100
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,410
Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,921 Posts
Default

Just tried it again with my cousin's s3. Still doesn't work properly, way overrated.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 07:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Veritas4420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kansas
Gender: Male
Posts: 642
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4,Galaxy S3,Galaxy S2 skyrocket, Samsung infuse, Galaxy note, Galaxy note 2.
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 13
Thanked 83 Times in 66 Posts
Default

Just transfered christmas photos from my N2 to my cousin's S3. Photos were really quick and a short video I took trabsfered in about 25 seconds.
chasers likes this.
Veritas4420 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 08:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
chasers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Atlanta
Gender: Female
Posts: 217
 
Device(s): Note 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 77
Thanked 41 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
Just tried it again with my cousin's s3. Still doesn't work properly, way overrated.
Actually it took some time to line up the chip on the note 2 and the S3 because of the size difference. We thought it was cases that prolonged the transfers
chasers is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 03:21 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
suprmallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 522
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 110
Thanked 311 Times in 145 Posts
Default

I use NFC tags (not TecTiles, those seem like a rip off) at home, work, and in the car. Very nice and easy to use.
__________________
Part time human. Full time adventurer.
suprmallet is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 26th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #21 (permalink)
AF Addict
Thread Author (OP)
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,100
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,410
Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,921 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasers View Post
Actually it took some time to line up the chip on the note 2 and the S3 because of the size difference. We thought it was cases that prolonged the transfers
Yeah, it was the same thing for me. After multiple attempts just trying to get that ish to work right, I finally gave up and just set up a dropbox link. SO much faster and easier.

There hasn't been a single instance in my using NFC transfer where I've felt there wasn't a faster way to transfer/share files.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 06:55 AM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
ren857's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 446
 
Device(s): Nexus 5; Samsung Galaxy S5
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 72
Thanked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Both my husband and I have Note 2s.

SBeam works like a champ for sharing pics and videos (and that's with the Otterbox Defender case)! It's quick and easy! Love it!
Veritas4420 and chasers like this.
ren857 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 968
 
Device(s): Instinct>EVO>EPIC>Note2 SGT10.1, HPTP
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 104
Thanked 90 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Wait, what? Wireless charging? Even if it's slow, it might be worth it for overnight charging. I have not had a device with NFC so have not used it. There are too many cool things with this Note 2 right now to keep me occupied until NFC is better.
__________________
To each their own...
badankles is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 387
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 69 Times in 59 Posts
Default

I know a few people have mentioned it but there seems to be some confusion still.

NFC is short range and very slow. It is for exchange of tiny amounts of data.
As mentioned, for the file transfer NFC is only used to establish connection credentials. The transfer is done via wi-fi.

Wireless charging is totally separate from NFC or wi-fi. The connectors are present in both the S3 and Note 2 but no wireless charging coils have yet been released.

I bought a bunch of programmable NFC tags - NTAG203 (137 bytes usable memory) from RapidNFC.

I have one by the bedside that puts the phone into flight mode to save battery and being woken up. Tasker takes it out of phone mode when I next unlock the screen.

I have one on my monitor at work that switches on wi-fi if off, and turns off bluetooth if on.

I've been playing with another which just contains a URL to an online business card.

I was disappointed that I could not get a full vCard on this (the most commonly supported and reliable NFC chip). When I bought them I knew little about NFC and the usable size was not advertised as clearly. There are ones with more storage but they are not 100% supported.
Bodestone is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bodestone For This Useful Post:
badankles (January 11th, 2013), drexappeal (January 11th, 2013)
Old January 11th, 2013, 08:38 AM   #25 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 968
 
Device(s): Instinct>EVO>EPIC>Note2 SGT10.1, HPTP
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 104
Thanked 90 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodestone View Post
...Wireless charging is totally separate from NFC or wi-fi. The connectors are present in both the S3 and Note 2 but no wireless charging coils have yet been released. ...
The connectors you mentioned, are they part of the device separate from the NFC part and also not part of the battery?
badankles is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 387
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 69 Times in 59 Posts
Default

The NFC antenna is part of the case on the Note 2 (where it was on the battery on the S3).

With the back off you can see where it connects to the phone to the right of the SIM slot.

To the right of the battery are the 2 contacts where a wireless charging coil would connect once one has been released.

I'll update with a photo when I find another camera.

Update: Or see pics here: http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/eat-drink-man-woman-16/%5Bgpgt%5D-my-galaxy-note-2-review-3942849.html

Or, if you can't wait for an official unit there is a wireless charging kit from Hong Kong that you glue to your case: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-2-Wireless-Charging-Back-Cover-Titanium-Gray-AT-T-Logo-/160932818089?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item257857eca 9
Bodestone is offline  
Last edited by Bodestone; January 11th, 2013 at 08:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bodestone For This Useful Post:
badankles (January 12th, 2013)
Old January 11th, 2013, 08:53 AM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Veritas4420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kansas
Gender: Male
Posts: 642
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4,Galaxy S3,Galaxy S2 skyrocket, Samsung infuse, Galaxy note, Galaxy note 2.
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 13
Thanked 83 Times in 66 Posts
Default

Used my Note2 last night to transfer music videos to my friends S3. I was connected to LTE and for pictures they transferred in about 10 seconds and for 60-80MB videos it took around a minute. Unfortunately with my extended battery I was unable to Sbeam even though the back plate has NFC, so I had to switch to the Stock battery.
Veritas4420 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 09:04 AM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 387
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 69 Times in 59 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas4420 View Post
Used my Note2 last night to transfer music videos to my friends S3. I was connected to LTE and for pictures they transferred in about 10 seconds and for 60-80MB videos it took around a minute. Unfortunately with my extended battery I was unable to Sbeam even though the back plate has NFC, so I had to switch to the Stock battery.
That will be due to the case that comes with the extended battery not having the NFC antenna.

You can still use Wi-Fi Direct to transfer the files but you would need to connect manually. S Beam just does the detection and connection of devices to you.

You would need to go to My Files, find the files you want to share, long press, Share Via and choose Wi-Fi Direct. It will then find other devices with it enabled. Slightly longer winded but saves you going over mobile broadband which may use up your monthly quota.
Bodestone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 09:05 AM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Veritas4420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kansas
Gender: Male
Posts: 642
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4,Galaxy S3,Galaxy S2 skyrocket, Samsung infuse, Galaxy note, Galaxy note 2.
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 13
Thanked 83 Times in 66 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodestone View Post
That will be due to the case that comes with the extended battery not having the NFC antenna.

You can still use Wi-Fi Direct to transfer the files but you would need to connect manually. S Beam just does the detection and connection of devices to you.

You would need to go to My Files, find the files you want to share, long press, Share Via and choose Wi-Fi Direct. It will then find other devices with it enabled. Slightly longer winded but saves you going over mobile broadband which may use up your monthly quota.
The cover does have NFC. Works with NFC tags just not working to well with other phones.
Veritas4420 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 09:18 AM   #30 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 387
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 69 Times in 59 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas4420 View Post
The cover does have NFC. Works with NFC tags just not working to well with other phones.
Wierd. Must just be a "getting it lined up thing". Got to hope it's not down to a sub-standard antenna.
Bodestone is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 11th, 2013, 09:20 AM   #31 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Veritas4420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kansas
Gender: Male
Posts: 642
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4,Galaxy S3,Galaxy S2 skyrocket, Samsung infuse, Galaxy note, Galaxy note 2.
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 13
Thanked 83 Times in 66 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodestone View Post
Wierd. Must just be a "getting it lined up thing". Got to hope it's not down to a sub-standard antenna.
The extended battery case is slim at the top and bulges at the bottom. I think because the NFC antenna is in the slim part it doesn't work to well.
Veritas4420 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 09:40 AM   #32 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 387
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 69 Times in 59 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas4420 View Post
The extended battery case is slim at the top and bulges at the bottom. I think because the NFC antenna is in the slim part it doesn't work to well.
Sounds about right. You do need to get pretty close. Right angles to the other phone might allow you to get flat on to their antenna but you would need to know where it is on the other phone. It's all sounds like a bit of a pain and a slight flaw in the case design but if you moved it to the other side it would exclude addition of a wireless charging coil I assume.
Bodestone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 01:37 PM   #33 (permalink)
AF Addict
Thread Author (OP)
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,100
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,410
Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,921 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodestone View Post
I know a few people have mentioned it but there seems to be some confusion still.

NFC is short range and very slow. It is for exchange of tiny amounts of data.
As mentioned, for the file transfer NFC is only used to establish connection credentials. The transfer is done via wi-fi.

Wireless charging is totally separate from NFC or wi-fi. The connectors are present in both the S3 and Note 2 but no wireless charging coils have yet been released.

I bought a bunch of programmable NFC tags - NTAG203 (137 bytes usable memory) from RapidNFC.

I have one by the bedside that puts the phone into flight mode to save battery and being woken up. Tasker takes it out of phone mode when I next unlock the screen.

I have one on my monitor at work that switches on wi-fi if off, and turns off bluetooth if on.

I've been playing with another which just contains a URL to an online business card.

I was disappointed that I could not get a full vCard on this (the most commonly supported and reliable NFC chip). When I bought them I knew little about NFC and the usable size was not advertised as clearly. There are ones with more storage but they are not 100% supported.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodestone View Post
Wierd. Must just be a "getting it lined up thing". Got to hope it's not down to a sub-standard antenna.
Yes, it is about getting it lined up, but trying to send an album to the Photon Q and a S3 at separate times (like they do in the commercial)...not a fun/easy experience, like hey showed in that commercial, and never got it to work properly. I'd much rather upload to dropbox and send a person a link to download, without us ever needing to "touch phones."

And NFC transfer is via wiFi? How does that work if it's not advertised like that. In the Samsung commercials, all of the people are transferring files using NFC and the one that the guys transfer a playlist from one phone to another is done while they're outside (and not likely near a wifi connection).
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 02:12 PM   #34 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 387
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 69 Times in 59 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
Yes, it is about getting it lined up, but trying to send an album to the Photon Q and a S3 at separate times (like they do in the commercial)...not a fun/easy experience, like hey showed in that commercial, and never got it to work properly. I'd much rather upload to dropbox and send a person a link to download, without us ever needing to "touch phones."

And NFC transfer is via wiFi? How does that work if it's not advertised like that. In the Samsung commercials, all of the people are transferring files using NFC and the one that the guys transfer a playlist from one phone to another is done while they're outside (and not likely near a wifi connection).
The transfer is done by Wi-Fi Direct which is a standard Android protocol for high speed wireless transfer. It directly links the phones' Wi-Fi antennae without the need for a hotspot.

S Beam is Samsung's protocol for easily establishing a Wi-Fi Direct connection between phones by tapping 2 NFC enabled Samsung phones together.

NFC itself had a range of a couple of centimetres tops and a max transmission rate of 0.424 Mbps. Pretty useless for file transfer but great for initiating the Wi-Fi connection.
drexappeal likes this.
Bodestone is offline  
Last edited by Bodestone; January 11th, 2013 at 02:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bodestone For This Useful Post:
drexappeal (January 11th, 2013), Fr0stTr0n (January 11th, 2013)
Old January 11th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #35 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 37
 
Device(s): Current: Galaxy S4 | Retired: Galaxy Note 2, Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus, HTC Thunderbolt, and
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

I use the stylus more than I use my NFC and NFC tags.
robrie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 04:09 PM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 387
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 69 Times in 59 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrie View Post
I use the stylus more than I use my NFC and NFC tags.
The S-Pen is indeed awesomeness incarnate. I do find that it is very poor for storing small amounts of data for triggering specific actions at a bonk* however.

*Bonk: Verb
Slightly Finbar'd term coined to denote the action of tapping a mobile device to invoke an action based on NFC proximity.

Example: This shop allows customers the option to bonk to pay.
Bodestone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 04:30 PM   #37 (permalink)
Member
 
Fr0stTr0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rocky Mountains
Gender: Male
Posts: 131
 
Device(s): Marble White Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 3
Thanked 28 Times in 16 Posts
Default

No one I know has as Galaxy based phone so I never get a chance to use it, so its indifferent for me. Be fun to try it but too many damn people around me and their inflexible Steve Jobs world conquest based designed iphones kill any chance of me trying it
Fr0stTr0n is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 04:33 PM   #38 (permalink)
Member
 
Fr0stTr0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rocky Mountains
Gender: Male
Posts: 131
 
Device(s): Marble White Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 3
Thanked 28 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodestone View Post
The transfer is done by Wi-Fi Direct which is a standard Android protocol for high speed wireless transfer. It directly links the phones' Wi-Fi antennae without the need for a hotspot.

S Beam is Samsung's protocol for easily establishing a Wi-Fi Direct connection between phones by tapping 2 NFC enabled Samsung phones together.

NFC itself had a range of a couple of centimetres tops and a max transmission rate of 0.424 Mbps. Pretty useless for file transfer but great for initiating the Wi-Fi connection.

Oooooooh, so the NFC itself is NOT actually being used to transfer whatever data between two phones, its just the "handshaking" agreement between two Galaxy phones when they touch and then the wifi's antenna the sync at a specific frequency and transfer data?

I wondering how in the hell anyone or anything could be transferred via NFC's snail in arctic temperature data speed of max 421kbits per second, let alone a freaking video.

The more I know.....
Fr0stTr0n is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 05:02 PM   #39 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 387
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 69 Times in 59 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr0stTr0n View Post
Oooooooh, so the NFC itself is NOT actually being used to transfer whatever data between two phones, its just the "handshaking" agreement between two Galaxy phones when they touch and then the wifi's antenna the sync at a specific frequency and transfer data?

I wondering how in the hell anyone or anything could be transferred via NFC's snail in arctic temperature data speed of max 421kbits per second, let alone a freaking video.

The more I know.....
Nail. Head. Say no more.
Bodestone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #40 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
thunderwagn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 31
 
Device(s): SPH-L900, SPH-L710
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 4
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

I think the NFC feature is great. If you're in a location that you can use Google Wallet....it's great! Plus you look cool doing it I think it's still in its infancy stages, but before too long, I think it will become the norm and of course I'm happy to see Android getting theirs going and implemented before Apple
thunderwagn is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 11th, 2013, 06:04 PM   #41 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 387
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 69 Times in 59 Posts
Default

And just to add the hmmm to humour there is the LikeBelt
drexappeal and badankles like this.
Bodestone is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bodestone For This Useful Post:
drexappeal (January 11th, 2013)
Old January 11th, 2013, 07:14 PM   #42 (permalink)
AF Addict
Thread Author (OP)
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,100
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,410
Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,921 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodestone View Post
And just to add the hmmm to humour there is the LikeBelt
ROFLMAO...Can't stop laughing. That is awesome.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #43 (permalink)
Member
 
Fr0stTr0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rocky Mountains
Gender: Male
Posts: 131
 
Device(s): Marble White Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 3
Thanked 28 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodestone View Post
And just to add the hmmm to humour there is the LikeBelt

Whats even sadder/scarier is that there are people that WOULD actually do that for real.
Fr0stTr0n is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 07:31 PM   #44 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 387
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 69 Times in 59 Posts
Default

Blutooth/NFC clips to your pint glass. NFC Ching the glass. Blutooth who you chinged to your phone.
Bodestone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 07:31 PM   #45 (permalink)
AF Addict
Thread Author (OP)
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,100
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,410
Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,921 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodestone View Post
The transfer is done by Wi-Fi Direct which is a standard Android protocol for high speed wireless transfer. It directly links the phones' Wi-Fi antennae without the need for a hotspot.

S Beam is Samsung's protocol for easily establishing a Wi-Fi Direct connection between phones by tapping 2 NFC enabled Samsung phones together.

NFC itself had a range of a couple of centimetres tops and a max transmission rate of 0.424 Mbps. Pretty useless for file transfer but great for initiating the Wi-Fi connection.
Thanks for the info! Good to know.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #46 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 387
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 69 Times in 59 Posts
Default

Wait, did I say that before I got patent ;-)
Bodestone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #47 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 387
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 69 Times in 59 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
Thanks for the info! Good to know.
Indeed. I think Wi-Fi Direct became standard with Jellybean so older phones may not support it though it may have come in in later Gingerbread as standard (carrier and other mods notwithstanding).

So, any reasonably new Android phone should have the option to enable Wi-Fi Direct. If enabled then any files you can share should offer Wi-Fi Direct as a share option. At that point it will look for other phones with the protocol enabled and allow you to share. Pretty much the same as with Bluetooth but much faster, possibly longer range and possibly less prone to interference of things in the way. The last 2 depend on antennae and firmware.
Bodestone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #48 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 16
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

NFC hasn't had enough adoption yet to be really useful in my opinion. The tags are cool but aren't life-altering.....IMO
emeraldayotte is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 01:33 AM   #49 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dr g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 589
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 4G LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 97
Thanked 199 Times in 110 Posts
Default

Can't say I'm unbiased but tag functionality is certainly as useful as any other automation or profiling scheme. Automating calls or texts can be useful as well for, for example, leaving the office or picking someone up regularly.
__________________
Droidtiles.com - NFC tags for Android and mobile devices!
SALE! 20% off NTAG203 sticker tags and 15% off anti-metal tags!
dr g is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #50 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 968
 
Device(s): Instinct>EVO>EPIC>Note2 SGT10.1, HPTP
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 104
Thanked 90 Times in 60 Posts
Notsure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodestone View Post
The NFC antenna is part of the case on the Note 2 (where it was on the battery on the S3).

With the back off you can see where it connects to the phone to the right of the SIM slot.

To the right of the battery are the 2 contacts where a wireless charging coil would connect once one has been released.

I'll update with a photo when I find another camera.

Update: Or see pics here: [GPGT] My Galaxy Note 2 review - www.hardwarezone.com.sg

Or, if you can't wait for an official unit there is a wireless charging kit from Hong Kong that you glue to your case: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Wireless Charging Back Cover Titanium Gray at T Logo | eBay
I just checked (not many opportunity to open the back with this phone, and that's a good thing, right? ) and my Sprint version does not have the additional two gold pins next to the battery slot. Bummer. WTHeck?
badankles is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.