Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By lcneed
  • 1 Post By twister6

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 27th, 2012, 11:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): SGN2
Carrier: ATT

Default NoteII Car Charger voltage?

I just received a 'fast' car charger as an extra bonus with another order that I placed. It seems very good quality and it was included with a Note2 order but I checked the voltage listed in the specs and it was rated at 4-4.5 volts. Seems like I remember reading the normal voltage for charging was 2volts, but I could be mistaken. Will using this charger harm my Note2? Thanks for your advice.
C~~~

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old December 27th, 2012, 11:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note II
Carrier: AT&T

You got volt and amp mixed up. All the power adapters are pretty much around 4.5 to 5v, but you amp varies. The more powerful ones are 2 to 3A. Most chargers are 0.5 to 1A. USB port from your PC is around 0.5A. All of them will charge the Note II; the smaller Amp ones will be slower. The adapter comes with Note II is 2A.
Glenn9586 and Chasoscar like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to lcneed For This Useful Post:
Chasoscar (December 27th, 2012)
Old December 27th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Thanks for your input! I stuck a paper clip in a receptacle when I was a kid and never had a yearning to learn anything more about electricity since ;o)

I checked the specs again and you are correct. It states the output voltage as 5-5.4v and the output current as 1000mAh which I assume is 1amp. So I think I am good.
Old December 27th, 2012, 05:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Dependent on usage it may charge your device. I have a 5v 2A car charger and it barely charges the Note under heavy usage (might go up a percentage point after 1/2-1 hour).
Old December 27th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2, S5
Carrier: V

As it was mentioned above, 1A charger is "not fast". Charging will be slow, especially if you are talking on the phone. 2A will be good for a faster charging while you driving and lite talking. But if you are driving and using GPS, even 2A will be a slow charger. Than you probably need to look into 3A (for the latest iPad) type of charger.

Also keep in mind, not all 2A chargers created equally. Some will not tell you its their absolutely max rating, while others can guarantee to source 2A under a normal rms type of condition.
lcneed likes this.
Last edited by twister6; December 27th, 2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old December 28th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): iPhone, Galaxy Note II
Carrier: US Cellular

1 amp car chargers will charge your phone EXTREMELY slow. Its more like you plug your phone in and it wont loose any more battery but it wont really gain any either, it just keeps it from loosing more battery %
Old December 28th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Thanks for the replies..... although I hardly ever use my phone in the car except for the occasional GPS I cannot complain because the charger I referred to was free. I probably will keep my eyes open for a good deal on a 3A charger, but I wont be in any rush. Can anyone suggest a good one?
Thanks again
Old December 28th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Formerly a Droid X, now a Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Big Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
1 amp car chargers will charge your phone EXTREMELY slow. Its more like you plug your phone in and it wont loose any more battery but it wont really gain any either, it just keeps it from loosing more battery %
I actually used my Note 2 as my primary GPS for a road trip a few weeks back. I had google navigation on the whole time and it was plugged into my usb on my car radio. My note was actually losing battery life really slowly and I had to turn off navigation in order for it to charge a little bit.
Old December 29th, 2012, 10:43 AM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note II
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
Also keep in mind, not all 2A chargers created equally. Some will not tell you its their absolutely max rating, while others can guarantee to source 2A under a normal rms type of condition.
I think you worded it too kindly. I think they flat out lie! I have a 2A car charger and according to the charging curve on my battery app, it is charging EXACTLY the same rate as my old 1A car charger. I charge my phone 1 hour on the 1A and 1 hour on the 2A on the same trip and the slope is exactly the same on the battery chart... is like I never changed charger.
Old December 29th, 2012, 03:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2, S5
Carrier: V

Quote:
Originally Posted by allwoods5 View Post
I actually used my Note 2 as my primary GPS for a road trip a few weeks back. I had google navigation on the whole time and it was plugged into my usb on my car radio. My note was actually losing battery life really slowly and I had to turn off navigation in order for it to charge a little bit.
That usb port on the car radio is designed to work with usb stick, so unless noted as a dedicated charger port you are looking at most 0.5A of current supply. Which means that you are discharging at a much higher rate (GPS Nav uses a lot of resources) in comparison to charging up from 0.5A supply.
The Following User Says Thank You to twister6 For This Useful Post:
allwoods5 (January 3rd, 2013)
sponsored links
Old December 30th, 2012, 10:32 AM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note II Galaxy Nexus HTC Thunderbolt Nexus 7
Carrier: Verizon

I don't even bother with 1amp chargers they are almost pointless. I picked up a belkin 2.1amp usb charger and it's great. Every phone I plug in registers as a ac current and actually charges my phone even under heavy car usage navigation Pandora and bt streaming
Old January 1st, 2013, 12:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Can anyone recommend a "Good" 3 amp Car Charger that will actually charge the phone while it is being used with GPS?
Last edited by Chasoscar; January 1st, 2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old January 1st, 2013, 01:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note II Galaxy Nexus HTC Thunderbolt Nexus 7
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasoscar View Post
Can anyone recommend a "Good" 3 amp Car Charger that will actually charge the phone while it is being used with GPS?

U don't need a 3amp I have a 2.1 and it charges my phone while being used for gps, Pandora and Bluetooth music streaming as well as screen always being on
I have a belkin 2.1amp usb charger I think I paid $20 at Verizon so I'm sure it's cheaper online
Old January 3rd, 2013, 06:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s): Formerly a Droid X, now a Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Big Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
That usb port on the car radio is designed to work with usb stick, so unless noted as a dedicated charger port you are looking at most 0.5A of current supply. Which means that you are discharging at a much higher rate (GPS Nav uses a lot of resources) in comparison to charging up from 0.5A supply.
Ahhhh gotcha, thanks for the reply! I'm going to look for a usb car charger with some of the christmas money I have.
Old January 6th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

Device(s): Verizon Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Not Provided

A lot of car chargers charge as a USB port instead of AC. Which explains why so many rated for 1-2A still charge the Note 2 so slowly. Standard USB ports only put out .5A and ones that have dedicated charging only go to .9A. I am looking into getting this one Duracell DRINVP175 175-Watt Pocket Inverter with 2.1-Amp USB Port : Amazon.com : Automotive as soon as I get my tax return. That will definitely charge for what I need.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2