Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 28th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Note 2 vs. iPhone5/iPad for business use?

I am currently considering the Note 2 as my personal/business device. My current set up is iPhone5 for both business and personal use, and I use the app "Penultimate" on my iPad for taking notes in business meetings. I don't typically use my iPad for much else as my iPhone5 works well for email etc. I also have a Macbook for work (my office is mostly Apple) but I have seen and heard great things about the GN2 and have been underwhelmed by the iPhone5 in comparison to the 4S.

I hope to eliminate the use of 2 devices with the Note 2 and really want to know how good it is for business use and specifically it's note taking ability vs. apps available for the iPad w/ stylus. Also, another "hurdle" would be how Apple has monopolized all of my info via iCloud and my iTunes. Is that an easy switch over?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old December 29th, 2012, 04:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Often Off Piste

Device(s): Galaxy Note2 Int. GT-N7100 rooted twrp,Galaxy S3mini,Desire GSM Rooted 4EXT, HTCwildfireS
Carrier: Free mobile (France)

Thanked 1,153 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure745 View Post
Also, another "hurdle" would be how Apple has monopolized all of my info via iCloud and my iTunes. Is that an easy switch over?
Hi

You can transfer from icloud to other services, but I dont think you will get the Note2 to talk to iCloud or iTunes on a regular basis, so I suspect you would be best sticking to apple products (just as they planned!)

Roger
Old December 29th, 2012, 06:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Tab 10.1, Nexus 7, Razr Maxx, Note 2

Since my email accounts are all Google, I prefer using email on the Note 2 over my iPad. I can store documents easier on my Note 2, and any Office app or email client can access those files. I can store document apps on my iPad, but they have to be done within the confines of that particular app. I can also receive an email from someone requesting a document I have stored on my device, attach the file, and reply back to the sender with the document they requested. I can't reply to an email and attach a document on iOS. I have to go to whatever app I have the file stored on, create a new message, then email it. Too many steps in my opinion, and if you don't have their contact into stored in your address book, it makes it that much harder.
Old December 29th, 2012, 10:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Thank you for the replies.

Does anyone have any input specific to the note taking on the Note 2 vs. an app like Penultimate?
Old December 29th, 2012, 03:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
XMB

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Sony Xperia Mini Pro, iPhone 4
Carrier: O2 (UK)

Quote:
Also, another "hurdle" would be how Apple has monopolized all of my info via iCloud and my iTunes. Is that an easy switch over?
And Google has not monopolised users data? The is really no difference between Googles services and Apples.

Even though the GN2 has a large screen it can't match a iPad or similar (10") size device for serious note taking and business.

Large business has been attracted to iOS due to its security and global configurations options not to mention the direct support for Exchange email.
Old December 29th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Thank you for the replies.

Does anyone have any input specific to the note taking on the Note 2 vs. an app like Penultimate?
I have both the Note 2 and an Android tablet that is pen-enabled. I think for quick meeting notes the Note 2 with its S-pen will be fine, but I'm thinking that filling out field forms that require a larger view will still be better done on the larger (10-inch) tablet. I think this is going to be a very personal decision, though.
Old December 30th, 2012, 10:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note II Galaxy Nexus HTC Thunderbolt Nexus 7
Carrier: Verizon

I use my note 2 as a replacement for a regular paper note pad and it works amazing. I use the this daily but for longer note taking a 10 device is going to be better. I am personally planing on getting a note tablet soon.
But it sounds like u should continue using the setup you have now as you seem to have a lot of apple products introducing an android phablet to replace an IPad and iphone I don't think will be better move

My note 2 replaced my nexus 7 but 5.5 to 7 is reasonable tradeoff but 5.5 from 10 isn't imo
Old December 30th, 2012, 01:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Evo

Applications like Touchdown, Kaiten Mail, Documents To Go and other office suites allow these devices to compete with the bigger devices. There are those times when a larger device comes in handy, but under most circumstances the Note 2 does the job. I have a 10" tablet used mainly for spreadsheet work, the N2 handles the rest.
Old December 30th, 2012, 02:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBuck View Post
I have both the Note 2 and an Android tablet that is pen-enabled. I think for quick meeting notes the Note 2 with its S-pen will be fine, but I'm thinking that filling out field forms that require a larger view will still be better done on the larger (10-inch) tablet. I think this is going to be a very personal decision, though.
Yes, I use the phone on a daily basis as a note taking device. I also use it as a device for show pda and other documents when needed.

I think if you get used to using some sort of "input" method then you can use almost any application to store info based on your needs.

But I will say that I have started to lean to a tablet for showing information. This is because I use my device for notes, once I hand the phone over to some one, I can't take notes.

At any rate, a great device and it's becoming a real must have for me!
Hope this helps.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2