Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BufordTJustice

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 31st, 2012, 12:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
mdw
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default message size limit reached when sending videos- way around it?

I'm trying to send a 10 second video I recorded to a friend over text message. I used to have an iPhone and when I would do this the iPhone would automatically compress the video for me.

Why doesn't Android compress the videos so it fits?

Is there a program or something I can use on my phone that will compress it for me? I used to send videos all the time.

sponsored links
Old December 31st, 2012, 10:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
mdw
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

any tips?
Old December 31st, 2012, 11:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4,Galaxy S3,Galaxy S2 skyrocket, Samsung infuse, Galaxy note, Galaxy note 2.
Carrier: AT&T

When you switch to Video mode it should give you a list, that should allow you too select record for MMS. Other than that I would suggest GoPro SMS.
Old December 31st, 2012, 12:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Droid 3, Droid, iPhone 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdw View Post
any tips?
Email it. You can do it just as easily as texting from your phone, but actually send it as is rather than reducing it to crap. MMS is overrated. I'll use it for photos at most. Sending ultra short crap videos via Text is a holdover from a time where you didn't have better options.
Old December 31st, 2012, 01:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
mdw
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingPurist View Post
Email it. You can do it just as easily as texting from your phone, but actually send it as is rather than reducing it to crap. MMS is overrated. I'll use it for photos at most. Sending ultra short crap videos via Text is a holdover from a time where you didn't have better options.

Eh... not really... Its far more convenient for me to just show my friends a video in a text conversation than make them log into their email. Most of them don't use email on their phone at all.

Wasn't emailing videos around before texting videos? o.O

But I'm just really surprised Android doesn't have a workaround, even a separate app that auto compresses things to MMS?
Old January 1st, 2013, 01:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Droid 3, Droid, iPhone 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdw View Post
Eh... not really... Its far more convenient for me to just show my friends a video in a text conversation than make them log into their email. Most of them don't use email on their phone at all.

Wasn't emailing videos around before texting videos? o.O

But I'm just really surprised Android doesn't have a workaround, even a separate app that auto compresses things to MMS?
Oh ok. How odd. Most people I know, even the non-techy types, have their email on their phone. They don't log into it.. they already are logged into it. The difference in accessing it comes down to hitting that notification when they receive the email.

You text-ed videos back when we had ridiculously sh***y cameras and there was little to lose (which the iPhone had up until the 4.) Email wasn't integrated into the phones the way it is today where there is little distinction between the two on the surface. It made sense then. There are multiple ways to share quality video without length restriction now. I applaud Android for encouraging people to get away from old habits that need to die (Nexus 7: no rear camera.... recognizing how ridiculous people look holding up iPads to take pictures and video.. might as well be holding up a lap top.) Those people that are still taking this approach probably already know what they plan to do with the particular video they want to send so they will just select the option in the camera settings.

You could just upload to YouTube which is all integrated right into your phone, and then just text the link. I suppose these same people that don't have their email on their phone also don't have a browser or YouTube app though.

Otherwise... if you must, try using Video Message Shrinker from the Play Store.
Old January 1st, 2013, 01:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): Note II
Carrier: Bell

I've only ever used MMS to send videos with my iPhone & large ones at that..Ones too big for email to send..

I've also been looking for a app everyday since I got my Note2 (week ago) to fix this problem..Even MMS I get from others come in thumbnail size like c'mon this is ridiculous largest screen on the market & the crappiest MMS out of any phone Ive seen..

Video Message Shrinker..?? LOL
First take the video then upload the video wait for it to finish "shrinking" then download the video just to send it .... No thanks
Last edited by Cid67; January 1st, 2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 10:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid67 View Post
I've only ever used MMS to send videos with my iPhone & large ones at that..Ones too big for email to send..

I've also been looking for a app everyday since I got my Note2 (week ago) to fix this problem..Even MMS I get from others come in thumbnail size like c'mon this is ridiculous largest screen on the market & the crappiest MMS out of any phone Ive seen..

Video Message Shrinker..?? LOL
First take the video then upload the video wait for it to finish "shrinking" then download the video just to send it .... No thanks
The stock Message app on Note II is not that great to begin with. And on top of that, some carriers, like Verizon, put size limits on the app for MMS pic and video.

I use Go SMS Pro. You will need to change settings to group MMS message and set MMS size limit to the max 5Mb per message and preserve image size. I haven't used it to send video, but pictures work perfectly now. No more thumbnail size pic and slide shows. And group messages work flawlessly with other iPhone users. Hack, I even changed my theme to the iPhone theme. Try it and if you don't like it, you could always uninstall it.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

I actually just uninstalled Gosms didnt like it much at all
Ive now got Pansi sms gonna give it a while

EDIT dont even bother it crashes as soon as u try to send anything lol
Last edited by Cid67; January 2nd, 2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 01:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid67 View Post
I actually just uninstalled Gosms didnt like it much at all
Ive now got Pansi sms gonna give it a while

EDIT dont even bother it crashes as soon as u try to send anything lol
You could try Handcent. When I was picking Message app replacement, I narrowed it down to Go SMS Pro and Handcent. I like Go SMS Pro so didn't even try Handcent.
sponsored links
Old January 2nd, 2013, 10:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
mdw
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Handcent is pretty good. The only thing I don't like is that when I receive popup notifications from group messages, it just shows a play button arrow instead of the message. Very strange. It also has the same issue with sending videos because I use it as my main text messaging app (by the same issue, I mean the issue this topic is about, not the issue I just mentioned with group messaging).

I really wanted to give go SMS a try, but it was going very slowly, basically freezing, during group messages when there were a lot of texts. So when people would send me tons of messages at once it would be impossible to reply until they were finished talking. That doesn't really work for me so I'm sticking with handcent for now.
Last edited by mdw; January 2nd, 2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 07:21 AM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s):

What I normally do to send a video, I think the phone limits the size to 1MB, since my phone is not in front of me I am cannot double check.
I open the stock message application.
-Add the recipient
-Click on the the paper clip below
-Choose Capture video
-Film one (at the bottom of the screen you'll see the size progress bar at the bottom, and I think it times out at 1 minute(again no phone in front of me to check))
-Then click save it
Then is will add it to the message, all my family with iOs/android device receive them fine.

Hope this helps.
Old January 4th, 2013, 04:09 AM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s): iPhone, Galaxy Note II
Carrier: US Cellular

There is nothing you can do. I also switched from iphone and it's one of the things I miss. I have go SMS and it doesn't help. And having to email the video is obnoxious, you have to get all your friends email address when you want to send them something stupid they might enjoy and if you haven't emailed them in a while or ever they are going to delete it without even opening it thinking is spyware or something. The flagship Android phone should have this ability standard.
mdw likes this.
Old January 10th, 2013, 09:35 PM   #14 (permalink)

I just learned of this shortcoming tonight...I tried texting a 9 second video recorded using normal mode and I got an error saying it was too large...I then chose the setting "Limit for MMS" and it sent fine but was completely un-viewable to the receiving party. I think I may very well have to return to the iPhone
Old January 10th, 2013, 10:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

Handcent MMS+ service will allow to upload large files and the recipient will get them in normal mms. Works great.
Old January 11th, 2013, 10:45 AM   #16 (permalink)

Well with Go SMS Pro, you could send up to 5Mb per MMS for free, but with the HD video on the Note II, 5Mb is like 5 seconds! If you want to have a larger size MMS, then you have to pay Go SMS Pro.

iPhone doesn't have any limit, and yeah it is better in MMS. I thought I have set my Go SMS Pro to mirror the iPhone MMS (even got the iPhone theme), but still now I found that it cannot do Video. It doesn't really bother me that much since I never send video anyway. And if I want, I could always do it on my iPad or my wife's iPhone.
Old January 11th, 2013, 10:47 AM   #17 (permalink)

How much do you pay for handcent MMS+ service..?
Old January 11th, 2013, 05:02 PM   #18 (permalink)

Device(s):

Wow. I had no idea people still did this. Upload to Facebook then share the video with whomever you please. This capability is built into the phone stock and doesn't make your video look like a watercolor. I haven't texted a video since like 2006.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2