Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By dave1812
  • 1 Post By dave1812
  • 1 Post By MartiniLover

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 5th, 2013, 01:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Foxfi

Ok guys I have a note 2 and used Foxfi on my last android with no issues. On this phone when I got to use my Foxfire app it pulls up my phones mobile hotspot. Is this just letting me know that I'm using my foxfi app or is it really using the built in app so that verizon can track it?

sponsored links
Old January 5th, 2013, 04:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

potterdood

it's only using the foxfi, but it has some way of opening up the app so that it runs thru the phone, but doesn't register as mobile hotspot, I use foxfi too sometimes when I'm in need of internet on my laptop and I'm not at home, I purchased the full version, definitely worth the $7.
Old January 5th, 2013, 09:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Lg G2 (current) Note 2 (previously) Motorola Photon (previously)
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdcaddell View Post
Ok guys I have a note 2 and used Foxfi on my last android with no issues. On this phone when I got to use my Foxfire app it pulls up my phones mobile hotspot. Is this just letting me know that I'm using my foxfi app or is it really using the built in app so that verizon can track it?
Is FoxFi actually working for you? I'm on Sprint & it gives me some message about hotspot not being included in my plan.
Old January 5th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 7, Samsung Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdcaddell View Post
i dumped foxfi for Portable Wifi Hotspot. It connects faster, IS FREE, and is dead simple to use. Foxfi is last year's darling hot spot app. this year, it sucks. It's no longer free unless you consider the ultra limited use the free version has...
drexappeal likes this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dave1812 For This Useful Post:
DonB (March 31st, 2013), drexappeal (May 28th, 2013), Whiskeypawz (January 5th, 2013)
Old January 5th, 2013, 11:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note II
Carrier: AT&T

Foxfi is working on AT&T. I just need to download it from foxfi directly. The proxy addon doesn't seem to work for me though.
Old January 5th, 2013, 01:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
i dumped foxfi for Portable Wifi Hotspot. It connects faster, IS FREE, and is dead simple to use. Foxfi is last year's darling hot spot app. this year, it sucks. It's no longer free unless you consider the ultra limited use the free version has...
I didn't know about this app! I see there's a free version & .99 version. What's the difference? And do you know of anyone on Sprint having success with it?

**update** This doesn't seem to work with the Sprint version either. Same error message I got with Foxfi. :-( It seems that Sprint has blocked these apps from working on their phones. Bummer! Sprint blocked all hot spot apps?
Last edited by Whiskeypawz; January 5th, 2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old January 5th, 2013, 03:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by potterdood View Post
it's only using the foxfi, but it has some way of opening up the app so that it runs thru the phone, but doesn't register as mobile hotspot, I use foxfi too sometimes when I'm in need of internet on my laptop and I'm not at home, I purchased the full version, definitely worth the $7.
Ok thanks. I upgraded already before I switched from my RAZR to my note, definitely worth the $7 or whatever it was that it cost. I use the wife app for when I'm at work and need to use my laptop for a bit. I just wanted to make sure that's all that was going on with it. Thanks.
Old January 5th, 2013, 05:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 7, Samsung Note 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypawz View Post
I didn't know about this app! I see there's a free version & .99 version. What's the difference? And do you know of anyone on Sprint having success with it?

**update** This doesn't seem to work with the Sprint version either. Same error message I got with Foxfi. :-( It seems that Sprint has blocked these apps from working on their phones. Bummer! Sprint blocked all hot spot apps?

and people complain about Verizon.
Lennatron likes this.
Old January 6th, 2013, 11:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
Is this the one from core technologies?
Old January 8th, 2013, 06:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid Incredible

Who needs Foxfi? Just download Elixir Widget 2 create a widget for your Hotspot and you get access to the built in tether capability that Android has bypassing the carrier provisions that ask you to subscribe, it works like a champ at least on Verizon and at&t.
sponsored links
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr1517 View Post
Who needs Foxfi? Just download Elixir Widget 2 create a widget for your Hotspot and you get access to the built in tether capability that Android has bypassing the carrier provisions that ask you to subscribe, it works like a champ at least on Verizon and at&t.
I take it that the tether is free then? I might have to try it.
Old March 16th, 2013, 01:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Question Note 2 on Verizon using Foxfi-what is free?

I had a droid razr which was rooted and used SQlite editor and changed a setting in a db that allowed me to use Verizon's Mobile Hotspot without the data use being counted against my data plan. Which was great while traveling in the van so my family could tether to my phone.

on my Note 2 on Verizon using Foxfi-what is free? I have the shared data plan so using Verizon's Mobile Hotspot is free and the data is being tallied against my shared data.

1. If I use Foxfi will the data still be tallied on my plan?

2. Does Foxfi bypass my data plan?

Some clarification as to what is free using Foxfi.
Thanks!
Old March 30th, 2013, 11:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: T-Mobile

i need to read before posting
Old March 31st, 2013, 07:35 AM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s):

FoxFi went to hell in a hand basket when they decided it should be a pay app, was great when free. Go figure you have a great app for free and decide you should get paid for it so turn it into a useless piece of junk then charge for it.

I switched to Portable WiFi Hotspot based on info found here several months ago and it works very good. Verizon user and no problems.
Old May 27th, 2013, 02:08 AM   #15 (permalink)

Device(s):

I want to know if anyone can confirm if Foxfi can work on Samsung Galaxy Note 2 with Verizon on Jelly Bean 4.1.2? Because I tried to use Foxfi, the Verizon's native mobile hotspot pops up on the notification bar, so I don't want to get charged for anything or something...
Old May 27th, 2013, 07:13 AM   #16 (permalink)

twmanga

Yes, FoxFi still works in 4.1.2. Just last week, I was using it with my phone as a hotspot & was testing streaming video from a video camera (JVC GY-HM650U with a WiFi Adapter) to my Nexus 7 & was controlling the camera with the N7 as well.
Old May 27th, 2013, 11:46 AM   #17 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by twmanga View Post
Yes, FoxFi still works in 4.1.2. Just last week, I was using it with my phone as a hotspot & was testing streaming video from a video camera (JVC GY-HM650U with a WiFi Adapter) to my Nexus 7 & was controlling the camera with the N7 as well.

Okay then I have a question, since you said it still works in 4.1.2 version but here's the problem, when I started up Foxfi, the Verizon's native mobile hotspot icon pops up on the notification bar, what is the meaning of this? will I get charged if Verizon detects I started using Foxfi or? is there a safe way?
Old May 28th, 2013, 07:36 AM   #18 (permalink)

twmanga

That's just turning on the hotspot option. FoxFi will bypass Verizon's activation. You will not be charged the $20 - $30 tethering fee. You are still using data, so whatever your plan currently is, that is what you pay for. Since I'm still on the grandfathered unlimited plan, that's what I pay for.
Old May 30th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #19 (permalink)

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi

Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypawz View Post

I hadn't connected in so long, but just for you, I went through and tried it with my Note 8. Foxfi kinda works using bluetooth, but not wifi. The connection is a little unstable and not as strong as when the wifi was working, but just wanted you to know that it does work somewhat.

Back when I had the Photon, it worked perfectly! I actually preferred connecting my laptop via USB, whenever I needed to tether, but I remember it working flawlessly with the Photon. I can't really blame Sprint for blocking the wifi tether though or any other OEM's for that matter. I think there are just too many people that take advantage of it and go overboard with use.
The Following User Says Thank You to drexappeal For This Useful Post:
Whiskeypawz (June 1st, 2013)
Old June 1st, 2013, 10:22 PM   #20 (permalink)

I don't blame them either. It takes away a potential hotspot add on sale for them. But at the same time I do pay for "truly unlimited" data. :-)
sponsored links
Old August 13th, 2013, 05:44 PM   #21 (permalink)

Device(s):

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profaniter View Post
I want to know if anyone can confirm if Foxfi can work on Samsung Galaxy Note 2 with Verizon on Jelly Bean 4.1.2? Because I tried to use Foxfi, the Verizon's native mobile hotspot pops up on the notification bar, so I don't want to get charged for anything or something...
I am a new N2 user, but had FoxFi w/ key on my Bionic. It auto downloaded to my phone when I activated it, on Verizon. I am still on the unlimited data plan. I turned off wifi on the phone, hit FoxFi to activate hotspot, and my laptop recognized it immediately. Download speed at 18 but upload was only 3 doing a speed test.

It works for me.
drexappeal likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to MartiniLover For This Useful Post:
drexappeal (August 13th, 2013)
Old August 13th, 2013, 06:46 PM   #22 (permalink)

Device(s): Samy Galaxy Note II,Note 10.1,siii 32gig, had-MotoXoom1,iPhone 4s,4,droidX,Droid 1

I have to say this, but this method is slick and seems very easy to undo.

NOTICE: do at your own risk! I am not responsible for anything that could go wrong!

I have done a lot of digging for this and I think it should have been easier to find.

1. Root with this method and use superSU not superuser.
Framaroot.

Very easy to do, load the app and click, all within the phone.

2. Download this modified version of wifi tether

3. Follow these steps to configure wifi tether
Quote:
Step 1. Download and install the modified Wifi Tether app
You can use ES File Explorer to install the downloaded apk file

Step 2. Run the Wifi Tether app and choose “Generic ICS/JB (wlan0)” for Device-Profile.

Step 3. Choose “Netd-Ndc (master)” for Setup Method.

Step 4. Make sure “Send Netd Max Client Cmd” is checked ON.

Step 5. And also make sure “Routing Fix” is checked ON.

Step 6. You can setup SSID and wifi encryption if you’d like. Once everything set up, simply start the Wifi Tether and try connecting to it from your computer or another wifi device.
I leave it running all day at work, I have turned off the bluetooth in wifi tether also to be able to use my bluetooth headset.

Best of luck to all!
would be nice to know what other carriers this method works with (one might have to change those settings with other carriers, but please let us know?
verizon here. works 100%

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2