Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 6th, 2013, 03:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Help- no earpiece/receiver volume on brand new Note 2

Hello! Well like my name suggests, this is my first ever smart phone (older user) and I can't get sound out of the earpiece. The corded headphones work as does the rear speaker but the earpiece sound does not work. At first I thought I was just missing something but then I discovered this hardware testing command on the phone dialer keypad:

- dial *#0*# to enter hardware tests

I pressed "receiver" and nothing happened. All the other tests work. I got this phone yesterday and it did not work from the get-go.

Am I missing something really basic? The mute is not on- and the speakers work when I turn them on. But no sound out of the small earpiece at the top of the phone?

Since googling this issue, I see that Samsung sound problems are not uncommon? I am a little worried about this- I am still under my 15-day cancellation period with my cell phone carrier- I am not sure what to do? Go with an Iphone or blackberry? I really like this Note 2 so far but I just can't cope with something that doesn't work.

thank you

sponsored links
Old January 6th, 2013, 04:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Need Beer and Mustard

Device(s): LG G2, Moto G, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7, HTC Flyer
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 5,422 Times in 3,575 Posts

Welcome to the forums, firstphone!
This is sounding like a hardware problem and like you said, perhaps not uncommon. I'd recommend returning it and trying another. I wouldn't write off the Note 2 because of one lemon. Nearly every device out there has lemons.
Old January 6th, 2013, 04:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

thank you. well, I meant that it looks like lots of people get problems with the sound. For me, I am lucky because it was like this when I opened it but from what I have seen on google, it happens to other people after a month or so. Still, there are many people it does not happen to. I am just worried because if it happens after the warrenty period I will be so angry. Like, it looks like Samsung may not be known for good hardware quality?

anyway, if anyone else has heard of this volume problem I would greatly appreciate hearing anything you may know.

Also, if I am missing something really dumb? lol.....
Old January 7th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s):

i have the same problem with my note2. no earpiece/receiver volume. tried troubleshooting including hardware test but no luck. i purchased this over a month ago before i left overseas and it's only then i realized that the earpiece/receiver is not working. purchased this online and i'm about to contact the supplier.
Last edited by geronimoj; January 7th, 2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old January 9th, 2013, 03:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimoj View Post
i have the same problem with my note2. no earpiece/receiver volume. tried troubleshooting including hardware test but no luck. i purchased this over a month ago before i left overseas and it's only then i realized that the earpiece/receiver is not working. purchased this online and i'm about to contact the supplier.

well I called Rogers a couple of days ago and they immediately deemed my phone DOA (dead on arrival). He did not seem surprized and decided so quickly to issue me a brand new phone that I would bet he has heard of this problem before although he would not come out and admit it.

I ended up getting $10 off per month on my plan because I was going to pull out altogether. I decided to accept a new phone. I really hope it will be ok. I don't know. Reading some of the posts here makes me think these phones may not be built that great. My screen also keeps going out and I don't like the mechanical buttons- they are very awkward to press. Oh well, cross my fingers that the next one will be ok

for geronimoj, with my carrier (Rogers) if the unit is older than 15 days but less than a year it is deemed covered by Samsung via the carrier. In the case of |Rogers, for phones less that a year, they will either fix or replace depending on what the technicians think, which I think you could sway them into replacing. If replacing there is a 35$ service fee which I would gladly pay. Good luck to you and thank you for responding.; I find it incredible that the main feature of the phone, that makes it a phone, namely the earpiece, is broken on many many units. How can that be? Like a bunch of cars having defective steering wheels..
Old January 10th, 2013, 02:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

arg!!

I just made a really embarassing discovery!!!!!

If you hold down the mechanical on/off button on the side of the phone, a dialog box will pop up asking if you want the phone in vibrate or sound mode. Mine was in vibrate mode. I turned on the sound mode and now I have volume coming out of my earpiece!!!!!! So embarassing. I turning on the volume etc on the screen settings but this mechanical setting, I must have turned in onto vibrate accidentally or it was shipped set to vibrate.

When I phoned Rogers for help they did not mention this, likely because they didn't know. Now they are sending me a new phone, thinking mine was DOA.

so embarassing.
Old January 10th, 2013, 02:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): Evo 4g Nexus S 4g Sprint Galaxy Nexus Lte Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Sprint

Well at least you know now.
Old January 11th, 2013, 03:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstphone View Post
arg!!

I just made a really embarassing discovery!!!!!

If you hold down the mechanical on/off button on the side of the phone, a dialog box will pop up asking if you want the phone in vibrate or sound mode. Mine was in vibrate mode. I turned on the sound mode and now I have volume coming out of my earpiece!!!!!! So embarassing. I turning on the volume etc on the screen settings but this mechanical setting, I must have turned in onto vibrate accidentally or it was shipped set to vibrate.

When I phoned Rogers for help they did not mention this, likely because they didn't know. Now they are sending me a new phone, thinking mine was DOA.

so embarassing.
Hey not bad for a smart phone first timer.... I couldn't lower my bill even when I tried.

-Cheers!

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2