Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By _-Jay-_
  • 1 Post By acollins789

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 7th, 2013, 06:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Switching from iphone 5 to GN2

Hey everyone! After being completely disappointed with the iphone 5, my dad and I have decided to sell our iphone 5s and buy some GN2s. I'm trying to figure out the most economical way to buy these phones new. Our service is with ATT. The phone retails for $650 new (16gb model). If you have an account upgrade, you save (which we don't), you save an additional $350 per phone. Also, ATT is offering $100 off on the purchase of a 2nd galaxy device until 1/10(not 100% sure if it includes the GN2). My plan is to open 2 new lines (at $10/month to get the upgrades) and buy both phones at once. It would work out like this:

$650 for new gn2* 2 = $1300
Vs
$650*2 = $1300 - $700 (upgrade) - $100 (special) = $500 + $480 (2 years of service) = $980 for both phones

Is this the cheapest way to buy the phones new? Please offer any advice! Thanks! (I know I missed the best deals on Black Friday and cyber Monday)

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old January 7th, 2013, 07:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

Location: New York City is where my heart is but now I live in Delray Beach Florida

Device(s): Currently Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S3 4G LTE, Iphone 4 wifi only now, Ipad 2, HP laptop
Carrier: freakin' Verizon

get a second line like i did, i have now the GN2 and the GS3
Old January 7th, 2013, 08:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note II Galaxy S3 (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceva321 View Post
get a second line like i did, i have now the GN2 and the GS3
That's essentially what he is doing. He is opening up 2 new lines of service to get the upgrade price on both phones. The $480 is for him to have to pay $10/mo for each additional line over 2 years. He is basically getting 2 lines he will never use to help offset the upfront costs of the upgrade.

I recently did something similar. I had 3 devices on my Sprint account, 2 GS3's and an iPhone 4S, but wanted the N2 really bad. Rather than pay $650 for the phone (out of contract price), I opened up a 4th line and used it to get the N2 for $225 (The Best Buy Mobile I was at was running a promotion). I then traded in my GS3 towards the cost of the new N2. So the note 2 cost me about $75 bucks out of pocket upfront. Then I stuck an old Sprint flip phone on the new line so I don't get charged an extra $10/mo for premium data. While I am now pretty much throwing away $20/mo on the service, I justify it by going out to eat once less time a month.

By the way, I know I could have gotten a lot more for my GS3 if I sold it privately, but I didn't want the hassle of trying to Craigslist it. I have had some major headaches trying to sell stuff in the past on CL, especially Mobile Phones in particular.
ceva321 likes this.
Old January 7th, 2013, 10:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4,Galaxy S3,Galaxy S2 skyrocket, Samsung infuse, Galaxy note, Galaxy note 2.
Carrier: AT&T

With AT&T make sure you have them set the new lines up as dummy lines with only voice. When I opened a new line for my GN2 they said they did that but they actually kept the note2 on that line so I was getting charged for voice and data. I ended up having to buy a cheapy att phone to stick the sim in. Very annoying.
Old January 7th, 2013, 11:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas4420 View Post
With AT&T make sure you have them set the new lines up as dummy lines with only voice. When I opened a new line for my GN2 they said they did that but they actually kept the note2 on that line so I was getting charged for voice and data. I ended up having to buy a cheapy att phone to stick the sim in. Very annoying.
Ok thanks for the heads up!
Old January 7th, 2013, 12:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas4420 View Post
I didn't know they would let you know that. I thought you have to agree to the voice+data plan for 2 years in order to get discount on a smart phone on a new line. At least when I tried to do it, they won't let me do it online and when I called, I was told the same thing.
Old January 7th, 2013, 01:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s):

Add the 2 new lines for the Note 2, sell the iphones for 400/each, cancel 2 of the lines, and not have to pay the extra for the 2 lines that you added from the get go.
Old January 7th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): White Note 2, Silver HTC M8
Carrier: Verizon

You could always do what I did. I traded my iphone 5 for my N2 and that way I didn't have to open a new line with the extra $$$ a month
Old January 7th, 2013, 02:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

I could cancel both of the old lines. My iPhones are both 64g. I hope to get more than. $400 each for them lol
Old January 7th, 2013, 02:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Location: New York City is where my heart is but now I live in Delray Beach Florida

Device(s): Currently Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S3 4G LTE, Iphone 4 wifi only now, Ipad 2, HP laptop

^^^

why were you disappointed with the iphone 5?
sponsored links
Old January 7th, 2013, 02:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

I had the 4 for 2 years. The 5 isn't anythig significantly different from it. There is no jaklbreak out so I can't customize it at all. The phone is boring to me now. I'm looking for something different. The big screen on the note 2 is a huge plus too.
Old January 7th, 2013, 02:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

true i had the iphone 4 for 2 years too after my horrific Crackberry Storm!!! Then the iphone 4 was "the" phone to have, now fastforward the iphone5 was such a letdown..an extra row of damn icons please!!!! LOL

mine by Ceva321, on Flickr
Old January 7th, 2013, 02:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by acollins789 View Post
I could cancel both of the old lines. My iPhones are both 64g. I hope to get more than. $400 each for them lol

Haha I was just tossing out a number. If you get them unlocked, you can sell those EASILY for $600+
Old January 7th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

I went ahead and picked up the GN2 tonight! I opened up 2 dummy lines to get the upgrade. This phone is amazing! I'm going to spend the next few days learning how to use it lol!
_-Jay-_ likes this.
Old January 7th, 2013, 06:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

Congratulations!!!!! so much fun!!!

Old January 10th, 2013, 01:26 PM   #16 (permalink)

Device(s): Sony Xperia Z Ultra (White), LG Nexus 5(White), LG Nexus 4 (Black), Pebble (white), Google CR-48
Carrier: T-Mobile (Prepaid)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acollins789 View Post
You could pretty easily get $600 each for these. Look around on Craigslist.
Old January 10th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #17 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4,Galaxy S3,Galaxy S2 skyrocket, Samsung infuse, Galaxy note, Galaxy note 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcneed View Post
I didn't know they would let you know that. I thought you have to agree to the voice+data plan for 2 years in order to get discount on a smart phone on a new line. At least when I tried to do it, they won't let me do it online and when I called, I was told the same thing.
I just ordered a $9.99 GO phone off amazon, called AT&T and told them I would like to switch the added line to voice only. Gave them the IMEI number and they changed it.
Old January 10th, 2013, 04:59 PM   #18 (permalink)

Device(s):

I sold my iphone 5 for 650, so I only had to pay an extra 50 for the note 2
Old January 13th, 2013, 10:14 AM   #19 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

I need some advice. I'm about to put my iphone 5 on ebay. Is it better to pay to unlock the phone before selling or leave the phone locked?
Old January 13th, 2013, 10:17 AM   #20 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxty Note 2 on AT&T - 16gb Titanium Grey

Buy an unlock on ebay, most will do it for you within 24 hours, you just provide the IMEI. I got one for $3, and it will add $100 to the value of the phone. Most people who are turning to ebay for an iphone want to bring it to a carrier who currently doesn't offer it. Small investment that pays off quick.
sponsored links

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2