Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Like Tree6Likes

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 7th, 2013, 07:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Lag?

Yeap even with a quad core and 2 gig of Ram this phone lags like any other Android device, I still like the phone but I'm surprised how laggy can be specially when scrolling in any Web page, the proximity sensor seems to take its time to react even when waking the phone up and unlocking it, hell I can even see how slow the typing is right now, I reset it already and no change, is anybody else seeing this? The device is using at least 1.5 gig of the ram most of the times and I don't have those many apps either, I have the Verizon model if that helps any suggestions?

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old January 7th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Sprint

I don't notice any major lag on mine. But that's probably because my previous phone had a little more lag.

Have you tried turning off the following in developer options?
1) Window animation scale
2) Transition animation scale
3) Animator animation scale

Sent using the force
Frisco likes this.
Old January 7th, 2013, 09:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 7, Samsung Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

Got two Note 2's here. absolutely not a trace of lag--ever. most lag-free android device I've owned. Had mine two months and use over 8GB of data a month--I use this thing constantly.
Old January 7th, 2013, 09:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caloy View Post
I don't notice any major lag on mine. But that's probably because my previous phone had a little more lag.

Have you tried turning off the following in developer options?
1) Window animation scale
2) Transition animation scale
3) Animator animation scale

Sent using the force
I don't have any of that on, so no, seriously am I the only one suffering this?
Old January 7th, 2013, 10:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

try clearing cache and run in safe mode to see if lag is gone. Did you run the phone without reloading all your apps, following the reset?
Old January 7th, 2013, 10:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s):

Mine has less lag than my iPhone ever did. That's saying a lot, as my OG Droid was quite laggy and eventually caused me to leave android for iOS.
Old January 7th, 2013, 10:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Your lag could be because of some apps performing in the background. It could also be as simple as a live wallpaper. How's your battery life?

Sent using the force
Old January 7th, 2013, 11:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr1517 View Post
Yeap even with a quad core and 2 gig of Ram this phone lags like any other Android device, I still like the phone but I'm surprised how laggy can be specially when scrolling in any Web page, the proximity sensor seems to take its time to react even when waking the phone up and unlocking it, hell I can even see how slow the typing is right now, I reset it already and no change, is anybody else seeing this? The device is using at least 1.5 gig of the ram most of the times and I don't have those many apps either, I have the Verizon model if that helps any suggestions?

Video or it didn't happen.

Seriously mine is pretty much instantaneous. Maybe you should have it checked out.

Old January 8th, 2013, 02:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caloy View Post
Your lag could be because of some apps performing in the background. It could also be as simple as a live wallpaper. How's your battery life?

Sent using the force
Battery life is just excellent and no live wallpaper.
Old January 8th, 2013, 03:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Motorola Moto X(Clemson Tigers edition)
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

potterdood

The only lag I really notice is when my screen is locked and I press the wake button, there is serious lag, but thats all, thats annoying but I can deal.
sponsored links
Old January 8th, 2013, 05:47 AM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s):

That can be fixed in developer options.
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note II
Carrier: AT&T

Even my brother, who is a huge fan of iPhone, thought my Note II was really really smooth. I just got a iPad Mini over X'mas, and I thought the iPad was actually lagging comparing to the Note II.
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:14 AM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Any GSM Carrier

The only time I experience lag is when I clear the RAM on my phone. Even then it's only for a couple seconds or so and then it's smooth sailing from there.
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:52 AM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s): -Samsung Galaxy Note II

ldalenny8@gmail.com

My Note 2 doesn't really lag, sometimes the clock takes a split second to show up after pressing the homebutton but that's usually only after exiting intensive apps or games.

My Samsung keyboard doesn't lag at all. I believe it did stutter a bit when it was set to vibrate and make a sound on keypress but I disabled that in the settings a while ago.

When scrolling webpages my phone doesn't lag at all. I think, as others said, it may be some apps you downloaded that are running in the background.

***Lenny***
Old January 8th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
AF Contributor

Device(s): Xperia X10, T & Z, iphone-all, Blackberry 9900, Sensation XE, Note 1/2/3, S3, S4, Nexux 4, HTC One

No real lag here. Usually when I do, I have a load of apps open. I would say though and it has already been mentioned. Pressing the home button to access the phone, that takes a bit too long for my liking.
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:24 PM   #16 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 2 and iPhone 4s
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAda1988 View Post
I think maybe you have install some programs which lead to the the lag.
I'll confess that I think the same thing each time I read posts about some performance issue. Experienced this when installing a trivial free app with ads. I uninstalled and all back to normal.
Old January 9th, 2013, 06:30 AM   #17 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker74 View Post
Pressing the home button to access the phone, that takes a bit too long for my liking.
This is because, by default, the phone will open S Voice if you hold down the home button...so there is a slight lag while the phone waits to see if you're keeping the button held down.

If you open S Voice, press the menu button, select settings and uncheck the 'Open via the home key' checkbox you should notice a considerable difference.
Old January 9th, 2013, 12:17 PM   #18 (permalink)

Device(s): Current: Galaxy S4 | Retired: Galaxy Note 2, Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus, HTC Thunderbolt, and

Quote:
Originally Posted by potterdood View Post
The only lag I really notice is when my screen is locked and I press the wake button, there is serious lag, but thats all, thats annoying but I can deal.
I noticed this too. Have you found a fix?
Old January 9th, 2013, 01:30 PM   #19 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by potterdood View Post
Same here, I have the Verizon GN2 and no lag except that.
Old January 9th, 2013, 09:46 PM   #20 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 3 AT&T

I have a TON of lag in the native phone app and in the camera app.
If I take a pic then leave the camera app then later launch the camera again the entire device freezes up for maybe 10 seconds.

My home button also lags when waking up the device. Disabling S-Voice home button settings and setting developer options to "no" animations makes ABSOLUTELY zero difference.

There is clearly an issue and I have had 3 Note 2's and they have all exhibited the exact same oddities
sponsored links
Old January 9th, 2013, 09:50 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAda1988 View Post
I think maybe you have install some programs which lead to the the lag.
My Note 2 lagged before I installed a single app. There is a definite issue in the Note 2, I have had 3 of them and they all did the same thing. Still like the Note 2 and use it but it is NOT a smooth device by any stretch of the imagination.
Old January 10th, 2013, 07:49 AM   #22 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Titanium Gray 16GB 64GB Sandisk Class 10 micro sd Otterbox Commuter Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risley View Post
My Note 2 lagged before I installed a single app. There is a definite issue in the Note 2, I have had 3 of them and they all did the same thing. Still like the Note 2 and use it but it is NOT a smooth device by any stretch of the imagination.
I honestly don't get lag with my device. I have a heavy usage live wallpaper running, lots of widgets, lots of background programs....

I do however use Nova Launcher Prime, and I've set no animation transitions.

I do get the odd occasional stutter but that's maybe twice a day and only lasts for a second. I'm also a very heavy user.
Old January 10th, 2013, 08:31 AM   #23 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
I have a TON of lag in the native phone app and in the camera app.
If I take a pic then leave the camera app then later launch the camera again the entire device freezes up for maybe 10 seconds.

My home button also lags when waking up the device. Disabling S-Voice home button settings and setting developer options to "no" animations makes ABSOLUTELY zero difference.

There is clearly an issue and I have had 3 Note 2's and they have all exhibited the exact same oddities
Just tried this with the camera and I could not make mine lag for 10 seconds. There was a split second delay to reload the home screen, but when I say split second, I literally mean less than a second. It was extremely brief. Who is your carrier?
Old January 10th, 2013, 08:51 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Something is not right. My Note II never freeze up, and it is smooth as butter. You are using the AT&T version of Note II right? I have the same one. Did you update to 4.1.2? I didn't. I am running the stock version came out back last year. There is a little lag when pressing the home button when the phone is off, but it is less than a second. I would say about 0.7 second.

Not sure what to tell you when you have 3 of them that does the same thing. Are you running them in Power Saving mode or something?
Old January 10th, 2013, 02:12 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcneed View Post
Something is not right. My Note II never freeze up, and it is smooth as butter. You are using the AT&T version of Note II right? I have the same one. Did you update to 4.1.2? I didn't. I am running the stock version came out back last year. There is a little lag when pressing the home button when the phone is off, but it is less than a second. I would say about 0.7 second.

Not sure what to tell you when you have 3 of them that does the same thing. Are you running them in Power Saving mode or something?
My Note 2 is running 4.1.1 on AT&T. I have Nova Prime running and set Nova to "speed of light" LOL. I have the 3 developer options set to "no animations", I constantly close out background apps, clear memory, and to my knowledge have no rogue shady apps running that would harm the device.

I am back to running ExDialer because I couldn't tolerate the lag in the native samsung dialer however I just realized the other day that even in exdialer once you select the number and hit dial it opens the native dialer to continue the call.

I really do like the device otherwise and always get asked what it is when out in public but to say that this UI in the Note 2 or probably any Android is as silky as iOS is way off kilt, Apple did do their UI integration very well.
Old January 10th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #26 (permalink)

Oh...forgot to answer your last question... My power save mode is off. I have the entire device set to "TURBO" unfortunately I'm running regular unleaded.
Old January 10th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #27 (permalink)

OP: no one else has this problem but you. The note is very fast. You have had three. what is the common denominator? YOU. do a RESET, and don't install any apps. See how it performs. If it's OK, and then you start tricking it out, the problem is what you are installing.
Last edited by dave1812; January 10th, 2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old January 10th, 2013, 02:44 PM   #28 (permalink)

Device(s):

Stop clearing your RAM. If you are constantly doing this, you are killing the background processes that the phone needs to run smoothly. Don't freak out about RAM usage, the phone will manage it intelligently for you. It kills old processes it doesn't need to free up space. If you kill everything, it has to start a large amount of processes over again just to operate. I imagine this is your problem. I've had this phone for over a month, and I've never cleared the RAM.
dave1812 likes this.
Old January 10th, 2013, 02:50 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
My Note 2 is running 4.1.1 on AT&T. I have Nova Prime running and set Nova to "speed of light" LOL. I have the 3 developer options set to "no animations", I constantly close out background apps, clear memory, and to my knowledge have no rogue shady apps running that would harm the device.

I am back to running ExDialer because I couldn't tolerate the lag in the native samsung dialer however I just realized the other day that even in exdialer once you select the number and hit dial it opens the native dialer to continue the call.

I really do like the device otherwise and always get asked what it is when out in public but to say that this UI in the Note 2 or probably any Android is as silky as iOS is way off kilt, Apple did do their UI integration very well.
Wow I don't know what to say then. I am running stock launcher and it is much much smoother than iOS. I have an iPhone 4 and just got an iPad Mini, and both were not as smooth as my Note II. Maybe you should try the Touchwiz launcher. I have full animation and everything and still so smooth.
dave1812 likes this.
Old January 10th, 2013, 03:54 PM   #30 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by womb raider View Post
This is because, by default, the phone will open S Voice if you hold down the home button...so there is a slight lag while the phone waits to see if you're keeping the button held down.

If you open S Voice, press the menu button, select settings and uncheck the 'Open via the home key' checkbox you should notice a considerable difference.
My phone does not open S Voice when the home button is held down. It gives me an option for Google Now/Running Apps/Storage. If I press the home button twice then S Voice comes up. I'm running stock 4.1.1
sponsored links
Old January 10th, 2013, 04:25 PM   #31 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
OP: no one else has this problem but you. The note is very fast. You have had three. what is the common denominator? YOU. do a RESET, and don't install any apps. See how it performs. If it's OK, and then you start tricking it out, the problem is what you are installing.
Looks like I'm not the only one, and no I've only had one not three, you're confused, the dialer app is very slow too, project butter? I can't see it anywhere!
Old January 10th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwagner88 View Post
Stop clearing your RAM. If you are constantly doing this, you are killing the background processes that the phone needs to run smoothly. Don't freak out about RAM usage, the phone will manage it intelligently for you. It kills old processes it doesn't need to free up space. If you kill everything, it has to start a large amount of processes over again just to operate. I imagine this is your problem. I've had this phone for over a month, and I've never cleared the RAM.
Dave and dwagner,
I'll stop clearing my ram to see if that helps. Dave, your connotations that I'm the only person in the world having lag issues when it's publicly all over the Internet isn't completely appreciated.
Old January 10th, 2013, 04:47 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Dave and dwagner,
I'll stop clearing my ram to see if that helps. Dave, your connotations that I'm the only person in the world having lag issues when it's publicly all over the Internet isn't completely appreciated.
"all over the internet". hmmm...I'll take THAT one with a huge grain of salt. Define "all over".
I can find plenty of references to just about any "fact" that I want to "prove".

It's one of the fastest phones you'll find at the moment. but whatever.
Old January 10th, 2013, 06:24 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
"all over the internet". hmmm...I'll take THAT one with a huge grain of salt. Define "all over".
I can find plenty of references to just about any "fact" that I want to "prove".

It's one of the fastest phones you'll find at the moment. but whatever.
Google it
Old January 10th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #35 (permalink)

And to add to more lag...while in a call when I pull the phone away from my ear there is 2-3 second lag before the screen lights back up.
Old January 10th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #36 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
And to add to more lag...while in a call when I pull the phone away from my ear there is 2-3 second lag before the screen lights back up.
Yeap that happens all the time with me as well, when I finish a call I'm rarely the one who hangs up because of this.
Old January 10th, 2013, 07:10 PM   #37 (permalink)

A couple of factors can affect the response time of these devices. First, human beings differ in the capacitance of their bodies, which can affect response of capacitive switches. Static charge buildup could also affect it.

Do the two of you who suffer from this problem live in a particularly cold climate? Also (and I'm serious when I ask this) do you have problems operating "automatic" faucets?
Old January 10th, 2013, 07:44 PM   #38 (permalink)

I thought automatic faucets have infrared sensors?

Sent using the force
Old January 10th, 2013, 08:47 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBuck View Post
A couple of factors can affect the response time of these devices. First, human beings differ in the capacitance of their bodies, which can affect response of capacitive switches. Static charge buildup could also affect it.

Do the two of you who suffer from this problem live in a particularly cold climate? Also (and I'm serious when I ask this) do you have problems operating "automatic" faucets?
I was in NC last week and it was cold, I'm in Miami right now. When you say automatic faucets do you mean the type you wave your hands under or the type that you touch with your wrist to activate? If it's the type you wave your hands under YES, those damn things never work for me.
Old January 10th, 2013, 10:30 PM   #40 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBuck View Post

I've had the Galaxy Nexus, HTC Incredible 1 and 2, the original Droid, Galaxy S3, iphone 4 and never had this problem so I don't think I'm an abnormal being.
sponsored links
Old January 11th, 2013, 09:22 AM   #41 (permalink)

Carrier: T-Mobile

Lag is minimal and is more the exception than the norm. To the poster who seems to think that just because he/she has experienced an issue on 3 devices somehow makes it a well known issue shared by millions of people - stop exaggerating.

1) Nearly every single review, even extended ones, rave about how well the device performs
2) Just looking at the majority of responses in this thread points to the issues certain posters are experiencing as in the minority, not the majority
3) If you really believe you have issues, have your carrier check it out

My phone ends up being used by my 16 month old son who practically opens everything, and even then, when I get it back from him, the phone is still smooth as can be.

Easily the best device I've owned to date.
Old January 11th, 2013, 09:34 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtoid View Post
My phone does not open S Voice when the home button is held down. It gives me an option for Google Now/Running Apps/Storage. If I press the home button twice then S Voice comes up. I'm running stock 4.1.1
Sorry mate, my bad. I meant to say if you press twice, rather than hold down, the home button!
Old January 11th, 2013, 09:45 AM   #43 (permalink)

Device(s):

i 100% have lag and more like stutter especially when surfing the web in stock browser. its as if the info isnt coming in as fast as it should. this happens on wifi and 4g both. vzw carrier.
Old January 11th, 2013, 09:47 AM   #44 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ne0lyfeism View Post
Lag is minimal and is more the exception than the norm. To the poster who seems to think that just because he/she has experienced an issue on 3 devices somehow makes it a well known issue shared by millions of people - stop exaggerating.

1) Nearly every single review, even extended ones, rave about how well the device performs
2) Just looking at the majority of responses in this thread points to the issues certain posters are experiencing as in the minority, not the majority
3) If you really believe you have issues, have your carrier check it out

My phone ends up being used by my 16 month old son who practically opens everything, and even then, when I get it back from him, the phone is still smooth as can be.

Easily the best device I've owned to date.
Nobody said this is being experienced for millions, guess you're exaggerating.

Again I'm the OP and I've only had one device not three.

Last but not least I only asked if anybody was seeing this as well and yes there's a minority so my case is not an isolated one.
Last edited by scary alien; January 12th, 2013 at 11:30 AM. Reason: clean
Old January 11th, 2013, 10:14 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtoid View Post
It is the double tap for S Voice that will cause a little lag on single home tap since it waits a fraction of a second to see if you will tap it again.

As stated above this can be disabled from within S Voice settings if you don't use it.
Old January 11th, 2013, 01:46 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Want proof?
Launch the camera app. Close out. Press the home button and swipe to unlock and enjoy the frozen lock screen.

I'm out
I just tried that and it worked fine. No lag at all.
Old January 11th, 2013, 01:56 PM   #47 (permalink)

Default Re: Lag?

Chill guys, no need to ruin your day over this issue.

Maybe what you perceive as lag isn't lag for me. I mean the moment I Swype to unlock the screen it's almost instantaneous for me. Opening an app does take a little lag, but even my gaming PC will have a little lag to open any program. Unless the app has already been preloaded to RAM, you will see a little delay when it transfer the app from storage to memory.

I still think it's just some/several apps that are playing in the background that makes your phone lag as you have described, or maybe to much apps in memory.

In the end, if all things fail. Exchange it to a phone you'll be happy with. At least you've tried to address the issue.

-Cheers!

Sent using the force
ne0lyfeism likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caloy For This Useful Post:
scary alien (January 12th, 2013)
Old January 11th, 2013, 01:57 PM   #48 (permalink)

Can we stop arguing now please.

Yes, there are many posts about people reporting lag.

But yes, lag is actually very rare on the phone as an out of the box experience. Many of the posts about the lag are due to installed apps and so on but some are not. Many are from phones where the Samsung firmware has been modded by a carrier and the fault is due to the carrier not the phone itself.
These issues are often resolved with updates but updates are not always swift in being issued.
First release of the unmodded Samsung Firmware for the Note 2 did have occasional areas that seemed to lag slightly under some conditions. This could have been exacerbated by carrier modifications.
The underlying Android version had some areas that could affect performance and every release since has seen performance tweaks added.

There will always be faulty phones shipped where lag is not just perceived but real and due to bad processor, memory or storage chips.

Upshot is that the Note 2 is an extremely fast phone, probably still in the top 5 fastest on the market and the Samsung firmware started good and has improved as has Android since the phone's release.

If you have the phone out of the box, have ensured you have updated for the latest firmware release (plenty of posts here to check which is the latest available to you) without adding much in the way of 3rd party software and you are still experiencing excessive lag then chances are you have a faulty phone.

Of course newer phones will have more grunt. Of course other manufacturer's launchers may behave differently.

So far I have yet to find one that shames my Note 2 or even is noticable.
I launched the camera app. Pressed the power button to close out. Pressed the home button and swiped. I was back in the camera in under half a second.
This does not disprove your experience but neither does your experience constitute proof. Phone experience is a personal thing. I do remember the camera being a little slower, however, a couple of firmware releases back.

I am now rambling but it does occur to me that nowhere here did people ask the firmware version of those experiencing lag to check that they were up to date. Just a thought.

Edit: After all that I kinda had to laugh at "Post Quick Reply".
Last edited by Bodestone; January 11th, 2013 at 02:00 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bodestone For This Useful Post:
scary alien (January 12th, 2013)
Old January 11th, 2013, 02:14 PM   #49 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2, HTC Rezound, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Droid Incredible
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I'm sensing there may be something to do with which carrier's GN3 it is. I'm on Verizon with their stock 4.1.1 (which has some features in other's 4.1.2). No lag on mine, not at all, and battery life is unbelievably good--down just 15% in 8 hours, no battery saving options turned on at all (compared to my old Rezound with extended battery which would be down 85% by now, with similar use).

The home key on VZW's 4.1.1 definitely functions differently from the other carriers.
Old January 11th, 2013, 02:21 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppa View Post
I'm sensing there may be something to do with which carrier's GN3 it is.
Don't tease me with talk of the Note 3. I was already tempted to the 2 earlier than I would normally upgrade.
Caloy likes this.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2