Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree5Likes

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 9th, 2013, 02:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: O2

Default Otterbox Cases

i was about to order the Commuter but started watching reviews about the defender but the screen protector puts me off, is it really as bad as people say? and i am very picky so it would probably do my head in, does the commuter offer good protection?

just general thoughts on both please as i need to order one asap

sponsored links
Old January 9th, 2013, 02:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung GN2, previously, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Incredible
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I have the Commuter and feel it offers great protection.
Old January 9th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

i have read the silicone can be a little loose around the volume buttons because it doesnt have the outer shell to hold it in place?
Old January 9th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 2, Xperia s, Desire HD
Carrier: Three UK

I have the commuter and it fits perfectly, you will not be disapointed, except for the crappy screen protector they chuck in the box.
Old January 9th, 2013, 04:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thumbs up

I also have the Commuter on my Verizon GN2 and love it! Well worth a few bucks to have good protection from falls. It may not be quite as good as the Defender(not sure), but its much better than anything else out there for fall protection imo. Oh, it comes with its own screen cover.
Old January 9th, 2013, 09:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2
Carrier: V

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldboy74 View Post
I have the commuter and it fits perfectly, you will not be disapointed, except for the crappy screen protector they chuck in the box.
What's wrong with their screen protector?
Old January 9th, 2013, 10:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): Marble White Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: AT&T

Amazingly, I got Glacier Commuter from Amazon today, earlier then I expected. Needless to say I immediately took out and slapped it on my phone and took some pictures. I have a Samsung Protective Case + coming this weekend so I can compare the two cases side by side and see which I like better

My initial impressions:

1. Rubber is much better then the otterbox I had on my Droid X. Its not nearly as sticky so it won't attract as much dust/dirt and will slide in/out of my pockets easier

2. Rubber clings to phone well all around to the phone.

3. The case itself is pretty light and doesn't at much weight to phone and isn't as bulky as I thought it might, it gives the Note 2 some more needed surface area to grip onto for those with bigger or slippery hands

4. Poly shell attaches pretty easy to phone and fitment all around is good, doesn't feel like it will fall off very easy, you will need to pry the sucker off.

5. Cover flaps for headphone and charger jack are MUCH better then the Otterbox I had for my Droid X. These use the case itself to stay seated into place with a very tight fitting instead of inserting into the jack holes themselves.

6. Ordered SPIGEN olephobic screen protectors so I can't comment on otterbox one

7. Buttons are rather stiff now but I assume they will loosen up with use

And now for photos.

Last edited by Fr0stTr0n; January 9th, 2013 at 10:34 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fr0stTr0n For This Useful Post:
acura9927 (January 10th, 2013), excav8ter (January 12th, 2013), Frisco (January 10th, 2013), mntom (January 11th, 2013), Wiley_11 (January 10th, 2013)
Old January 9th, 2013, 11:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s):

I have the defender, in my opinion the screen protector is terrible. I'm popping mine out. My complaints are it sits slightly off the screen, so you have to push it down hard enough to activate the screen which really takes away from the responsiveness. The spen seem to leave marks all over it also. If I write a note, anyone could hold the phone at an angle and see the exact text unless I wipe it down every time I write.
Old January 10th, 2013, 02:08 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
What's wrong with their screen protector?
For some reason mine started to lift at the bottom around the home button area, maybe my screen wasn't totally free of greese but still, i haven't had this problem before, can't fault the case in anyway whatsoever though, i have heard of people moaning that the flaps are stiff ect and it yes it does make it a tiny bit more fiddley inserting the charger but its not too bad, i'm a builder so i like the way it is as it makes it dust proof.
Old January 10th, 2013, 07:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Titanium Gray 16GB 64GB Sandisk Class 10 micro sd Otterbox Commuter Black

I have the black commuter. It's great. I think it's the best colour to get since it won't get dirty. The buttons are very easy to push, it easily slides out of pockets, lovely grip on the phone, and it feels nice and sturdy.

Wouldn't get a phone without a protective case anyway. Insurance is overrated + there's always are some terms and conditions that make it useless and cheaper to fix the phone if you need to rather than pay the replacement cost. I've paid insurance for 2 years, and just keeping the phone in a case, and not using it in the bathroom (yuck) made it last.

Paying insurance for that long is a waste, just get an otterbox and that's that.

Really like my otterbox commuter.
sponsored links
Old January 10th, 2013, 08:17 AM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Any GSM Carrier

The Defender has always had that built-in screen protector and the most complaints about the Defender are about that stupid built-in screen protector. I think Otterbox should really re-think that whole concept cuz clearly it's any issue for damn near everyone for almost every Defender case made. I had the Defender for my iPhone 4 and the built in screen protector was immediately popped out. It's poor execution through and through and it seems like this is always the case with every new Defender case that gets released.

Personally, I'm leaning more towards the Commuter now since it seems to be less of a headache than the Defender.
Old January 10th, 2013, 08:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
=Luceat Lux Vestra=

Device(s): HTC One, Galaxy Tab 7" 2 Rooted
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 9,262 Times in 5,117 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr0stTr0n View Post
Amazingly, I got Glacier Commuter from Amazon today, earlier then I expected. Needless to say I immediately took out and slapped it on my phone and took some pictures. I have a Samsung Protective Case + coming this weekend so I can compare the two cases side by side and see which I like better

My initial impressions:

1. Rubber is much better then the otterbox I had on my Droid X. Its not nearly as sticky so it won't attract as much dust/dirt and will slide in/out of my pockets easier

2. Rubber clings to phone well all around to the phone.

3. The case itself is pretty light and doesn't at much weight to phone and isn't as bulky as I thought it might, it gives the Note 2 some more needed surface area to grip onto for those with bigger or slippery hands

4. Poly shell attaches pretty easy to phone and fitment all around is good, doesn't feel like it will fall off very easy, you will need to pry the sucker off.

5. Cover flaps for headphone and charger jack are MUCH better then the Otterbox I had for my Droid X. These use the case itself to stay seated into place with a very tight fitting instead of inserting into the jack holes themselves.

6. Ordered SPIGEN olephobic screen protectors so I can't comment on otterbox one

7. Buttons are rather stiff now but I assume they will loosen up with use

Nice work, Fr0stTr0n, giving us that descriptive and visual info about that model of Otterbox.

Best Buy store was out of them when I looked last Saturday. Maybe I'll order online. That does look like the one I need (in grey or black though).
Old January 10th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note2

I did not know they even made one, Best Buy and Verizon only had the flip open cover, which, while looks nice, offers no protection. Amazon? Have never had an otterbox, but this phone is in need of one. One big drop and could be bad. Are the otterbox worth the price?
Last edited by HTTR; January 10th, 2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old January 10th, 2013, 10:12 AM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 2 Atrix 4G

Quote:

1. Rubber is much better then the otterbox I had on my Droid X.

5. Cover flaps for headphone and charger jack are MUCH better then the Otterbox I had for my Droid X.
I totally agree with the above ...

The Commuter Case for my Note2 is a definite improvement, when compared to the Commuter Case for my Atrix4G ...
... it's just a better thought-out, & better designed case ...
The overall fit of the case to the phone is obviously better than some of the older phone model cases ...
... & I have no issues with the cases' buttons or flaps - it's indeed a great case for the Note2 ...
Old January 10th, 2013, 10:24 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTTR View Post
I did not know they even made one, Best Buy and Verizon only had the flip open cover, which, while looks nice, offers no protection. Amazon? Have never had an otterbox, but this phone is in need of one. One big drop and could be bad. Are the otterbox worth the price?
Yes definately worth the money, even paying the UK price was worth it.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldboy74 For This Useful Post:
HTTR (January 10th, 2013)
Old January 10th, 2013, 12:36 PM   #16 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung GN2, previously, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Incredible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
Nice work, Fr0stTr0n, giving us that descriptive and visual info about that model of Otterbox.

Best Buy store was out of them when I looked last Saturday. Maybe I'll order online. That does look like the one I need (in grey or black though).

I got mine at Sprint. Costs more than Amazon, but get it immediately.
Old January 10th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #17 (permalink)

Device(s): Evo

I worried at first, got over it and just use it. The protection offered is worth the one negative. My first case saw me popping the screen protector off, not this time.
Old January 10th, 2013, 01:27 PM   #18 (permalink)

Found a Defender at Verizon...have 14 days will give it a shot. With my corp discount, $42 not too bad
Old January 10th, 2013, 01:29 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donas View Post
I have the defender, in my opinion the screen protector is terrible. I'm popping mine out. My complaints are it sits slightly off the screen, so you have to push it down hard enough to activate the screen which really takes away from the responsiveness. The spen seem to leave marks all over it also. If I write a note, anyone could hold the phone at an angle and see the exact text unless I wipe it down every time I write.
Can the cover be popped off without scewing up the rest of the case? Essesntially. making it a Commuter
Old January 10th, 2013, 07:23 PM   #20 (permalink)

Pic of my replacement Note 2 with no stuck pixels this time and my new Glacier Commuter from Otterbox. Its snowing heavy in my area so the wind turbines are now showing a winter wonderland

Frisco likes this.
sponsored links
Old January 10th, 2013, 07:28 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Pic of my replacement Note 2 with no stuck pixels this time and my new Glacier Commuter from Otterbox. Its snowing heavy in my area so the wind turbines are now showing a winter wonderland

Is the defender with the cover removed basically a commuter?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Old January 10th, 2013, 07:39 PM   #22 (permalink)

I have the Defender case and I absolutely love it. I personally haven't had any trouble with the screen. The pen works fine and although if I look hard enough I can see where the screen is slightly raised off the phone it has never caused any problems.

My phone gets shoved in and out of my pants pocket, coat pocket and my purse and the case has kept it in perfect condition.

Looking at it I would say if you wanted to take the screen protector off it doesn't seem to hard to do. It looks like it's just glued around the edges of the screen to the plastic. worse case I would just cut it off and use a new protector.
The Following User Says Thank You to opalfrog For This Useful Post:
HTTR (January 10th, 2013)
Old January 10th, 2013, 07:39 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Is the defender with the cover removed basically a commuter?

Not quite

Last edited by Fr0stTr0n; January 10th, 2013 at 07:55 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fr0stTr0n For This Useful Post:
Frisco (January 10th, 2013), HTTR (January 10th, 2013)
Old January 10th, 2013, 07:48 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalfrog View Post
I have the Defender case and I absolutely love it. I personally haven't had any trouble with the screen. The pen works fine and although if I look hard enough I can see where the screen is slightly raised off the phone it has never caused any problems.

My phone gets shoved in and out of my pants pocket, coat pocket and my purse and the case has kept it in perfect condition.

Looking at it I would say if you wanted to take the screen protector off it doesn't seem to hard to do. It looks like it's just glued around the edges of the screen to the plastic. worse case I would just cut it off and use a new protector.
I am going to give it a try with the protector. I did the baby powder trick to avoid the water spots.

Old January 11th, 2013, 08:17 AM   #25 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

My commuter has arrived but havent put it on yet, i was wondering if anyone knows whether it will fit over the samsung protective case, i dont want to try it and stretch the commuter
Old January 11th, 2013, 09:47 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwuar View Post
My commuter has arrived but havent put it on yet, i was wondering if anyone knows whether it will fit over the samsung protective case, i dont want to try it and stretch the commuter
I doubt it will.
Old January 11th, 2013, 10:12 AM   #27 (permalink)

I have the Commuter and am very happy with it. Provides a much better grip so Im not quite as paranoid about dropping it if Im holding it while walking.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I haven't noticed any looseness around the volume buttons like you mentioned.

I haven't used the screen protector as I don't keep my phone in a bag or the same pocket as my keys, and there's a good 1-2mm of raised case around the phone so even if I dropped it face down, Im confident it wouldn't damage the screen at all.

The phone does feel a bit heavier and bulkier with the case, but I can live with that for the added protection.
Old January 11th, 2013, 10:31 AM   #28 (permalink)

Defender installed. Using the screen cover to see if I like it. The defender makes the screen pretty bulky, but worth it IMO for the protection of the phone. The belt clip is included, but quiten honestly is so big have not used it. Still fits in my pocket.

I am seeing some water spotting on t he screen and messing with the "powder method" trick to try and eliminate this.

Have 14 days to take back to Verizon if needed. Also if the screen protector is a pain, it can be removed.
Old January 11th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #29 (permalink)

https://mail.google.com/m

I purchased the defender case. It does add some bulk but I am very happy with it so far.
Old January 11th, 2013, 03:06 PM   #30 (permalink)

water spotting with the defender is having me consider removing the screen protector. Like the case, but the oil/wet spots on the screen look bad. Have tried the baby powder method. Works for about a day and they they reappear.
sponsored links
Old January 11th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #31 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 2

I have the Defender case. I do have to press a little harder because of the space between the screen protector and the screen but I love the protection the case gives me.
Old January 11th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #32 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II

Otter Box Galaxy S3 Drop Test - Defender vs Commuter - YouTube This is a drop test done with an SIII. He does both the defender and the commuter. I'm getting the commuter....if it ever arrives. The defender just seems a little too much with the built in protector IMO.
Old January 11th, 2013, 06:48 PM   #33 (permalink)

I use window cleaner on the case and phone.
Old January 11th, 2013, 07:28 PM   #34 (permalink)

I used 409 lemon cleaner on my Note 1, worked well
Old January 12th, 2013, 04:27 PM   #35 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung galaxy note 2

I have the commuter case on. I like its protection. Fit and finish is nice. One gripe tho. Its really hard to hold onto. The back is slippery.
Im probably going back to my original body glove case.
Im gonna look into the sedio brand next.
Old January 12th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #36 (permalink)

Default Re: Otterbox Cases

Defender. I took a hair dryer to the screen protector. It came right off and the glue pulled off easy in one piece. No residue.

Have a basic screen protector and the defender case. I also found that I like the big ass belt clip. Sticking with the defender case sans screen protector.

Old January 12th, 2013, 05:15 PM   #37 (permalink)

OK, so I visited local Verizon and Sprint stores. BB doesn't have much of a selection except for flip cases. I like reading on-line reviews, watching YT video reviews, etc. BUT until I have it in my hands and compare each one - as you know, the only opinion which counts is your own!

Played with Commuter @ Sprint store. Pretty much everything I have read about it online is true. Good quality, everything is pre-cut/aligned correctly, decent protection, not as much bulk, BUT it is slippery as hell on the back. Its a basic PC plastic, not rubberized or coated, just a slippey plastic. I looked at a couple, all the same. Feels slippery in my hand and on the table surface which means it will be easy to knock of the table, and it is a little loose around volume buttons (although not that bad).

Played with Defender @ Verizon. As a matter of fact, tried 3 different cases to compare response of plastic screen protector cover. What can I say. You guys know me - I'm into ebay purchases; went through half a dozen of cases, kept only one while turned down the rest (all refunded back). I was on a mission to find a decent budget (read $5-$6) cases. So here I am, took one look at Defender - and walked away from the store with a purchase of one for $45 (w/corp discount). Is it bulky - yeah, on par with my other rugged hybrid case. But talk about the quality (those interlocking tabs will last!!!), the grip (outer rubber shell is made out of superior material), all port protection, precut/alignment, the ruggedness, and still fits easily in/out of the pocket with zero pick up of any lint. And then, there is plastic screen protector - its crappy on all 3 cases I tried. Yes, there is a gap between the phone screen and plastic protector, and s-pen does leave marks on it (not easy to wipe off). I called Otterbox tech support, already opened a case for it. They should send a replacement within 2weeks. But I'm pretty sure its going to be the same, loose plastic cover. Personally, I don't care about it. Will pop it out anyway. Just want to see if whatever they're going to send me as a replacement from a different batch will be any better. In my personal opinion and for my personal use - Defender is the way to go if you want to have piece of mind (and I don't have any insurance on the phone). The price is high, $45. I figured once I get that promotional free Sammy Flip Cover, I just sell it to recover some cost

The bottom line. Everybody have their own preference and taste. There is no right or wrong case if you like it, if it works for you, and if it gives you a piece of mind (even at expense of bulkiness). BUT please, use these on-line reviews only as a guidance and buy'n'try these cases yourself to see what/how you like it. I was completely against any Otterbox product. Went through a lot of ebay cases, and therefore appreciate more the level of quality and protection offered by these Otterbox cases, and found Defender to be the perfect case for me. Now, just have to pop out that plastic cover (it looks like glued inside of the frame, should be easy to take out, and in case of warranty work - glue it back to send to Otterbox for replacement of other damages - if that ever happens).

I will post my picture review of Defender in our official Best Case for Note 2 thread. Oh, and also planning to order Ballistic TPU (available on Amazon) and UAG Navigator (whenever its available) to try it out. I love that orange grill on UAG case If it's as good as it looks, I might end up with Defender and Navigator

PS and strangely enough - I love that belt clip too!!! My wife is laughin' at me that I have a tablet on my belt. Just have to correct her, its not a tablet but "phablet"!!!
Old January 12th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
OK, so I visited local Verizon and Sprint stores. BB doesn't have much of a selection except for flip cases. I like reading on-line reviews, watching YT video reviews, etc. BUT until I have it in my hands and compare each one - as you know, the only opinion which counts is your own!

Played with Commuter @ Sprint store. Pretty much everything I have read about it online is true. Good quality, everything is pre-cut/aligned correctly, decent protection, not as much bulk, BUT it is slippery as hell on the back. Its a basic PC plastic, not rubberized or coated, just a slippey plastic. I looked at a couple, all the same. Feels slippery in my hand and on the table surface which means it will be easy to knock of the table, and it is a little loose around volume buttons (although not that bad).

Played with Defender @ Verizon. As a matter of fact, tried 3 different cases to compare response of plastic screen protector cover. What can I say. You guys know me - I'm into ebay purchases; went through half a dozen of cases, kept only one while turned down the rest (all refunded back). I was on a mission to find a decent budget (read $5-$6) cases. So here I am, took one look at Defender - and walked away from the store with a purchase of one for $45 (w/corp discount). Is it bulky - yeah, on par with my other rugged hybrid case. But talk about the quality (those interlocking tabs will last!!!), the grip (outer rubber shell is made out of superior material), all port protection, precut/alignment, the ruggedness, and still fits easily in/out of the pocket with zero pick up of any lint. And then, there is plastic screen protector - its crappy on all 3 cases I tried. Yes, there is a gap between the phone screen and plastic protector, and s-pen does leave marks on it (not easy to wipe off). I called Otterbox tech support, already opened a case for it. They should send a replacement within 2weeks. But I'm pretty sure its going to be the same, loose plastic cover. Personally, I don't care about it. Will pop it out anyway. Just want to see if whatever they're going to send me as a replacement from a different batch will be any better. In my personal opinion and for my personal use - Defender is the way to go if you want to have piece of mind (and I don't have any insurance on the phone). The price is high, $45. I figured once I get that promotional free Sammy Flip Cover, I just sell it to recover some cost

The bottom line. Everybody have their own preference and taste. There is no right or wrong case if you like it, if it works for you, and if it gives you a piece of mind (even at expense of bulkiness). BUT please, use these on-line reviews only as a guidance and buy'n'try these cases yourself to see what/how you like it. I was completely against any Otterbox product. Went through a lot of ebay cases, and therefore appreciate more the level of quality and protection offered by these Otterbox cases, and found Defender to be the perfect case for me. Now, just have to pop out that plastic cover (it looks like glued inside of the frame, should be easy to take out, and in case of warranty work - glue it back to send to Otterbox for replacement of other damages - if that ever happens).

I will post my picture review of Defender in our official Best Case for Note 2 thread. Oh, and also planning to order Ballistic TPU (available on Amazon) and UAG Navigator (whenever its available) to try it out. I love that orange grill on UAG case If it's as good as it looks, I might end up with Defender and Navigator

PS and strangely enough - I love that belt clip too!!! My wife is laughin' at me that I have a tablet on my belt. Just have to correct her, its not a tablet but "phablet"!!!
My wife says it looks like I am carying a tv on my belt. I coach basketball and the girls all gave me crap today as well. .

What is the otterbox support#?.

Put a hair dryer in the case and slowly work the screen protector off. It will peel off in one strip. Took me 2 minutes.

I do like the defender case. It is bulky; but I am a big guy and would look ridiculous with a little wimpy phone.

Good luck!

Old January 12th, 2013, 06:02 PM   #39 (permalink)

My kids don't give me crap because they will not be able to play with a phone once we are out lol!!! And considering I have 4.5 and 7.5 year olds - I need the defender! And btw, I'm not a big guy, but still find N2 with Defender to be comfy to handle and slip into my jeans/khakis pocket.

Otterbox contact:

Customer
Service Hours (MT)
Monday - Thursday: 6am - 10pm
Friday: 6am - 9pm
Saturdays: 8am - 5pm
Toll Free: 855-688-7269
Local: 970-493-8446

They created a case number and emailed to me right away with a request to take 3 pictures (front/back of the phone, and defect area). I explained to them that screen flex can't be captured by a picture. Maybe I can take a short low-res video clip and email to them. It's very clear to see when you push it with your finger.
Last edited by twister6; January 12th, 2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old January 12th, 2013, 06:04 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
My kids don't give me crap because they will not be able to play with a phone once we are out lol!!! And considering I have 4.5 and 7.5 year olds - I need the defender!

Otterbox contact:

Customer
Service Hours (MT)

Monday - Thursday: 6am - 10pm
Friday: 6am - 9pm
Saturdays: 8am - 5pm
Toll Free: 855-688-7269
Local: 970-493-8446
Thanks, I filled out an online form they sent me on Twitter.

sponsored links
Old January 12th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks, I filled out an online form they sent me on Twitter.
So I figured you will wait for a replacement, see if it's any better. If not, send it back, if yes - glue your old plastic screen piece back? That would be my plan
Old January 12th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
So I figured you will wait for a replacement, see if it's any better. If not, send it back, if yes - glue your old plastic screen piece back? That would be my plan
Yes, the response through the screen was okay, the gap to the screen caused the oily wet spot that drove me crazy. Will see what they do.

I thought the commuter was too slick.

Old January 14th, 2013, 10:48 AM   #43 (permalink)

Did I say "Defender was the best case for me"? That was yesterday's news lol!!! Although still waiting for Otterbox warranty claim reply with a tracking number, I'm probably going to cancel it and return my case back to Verizon.

After playing more with it, I got so frustrated with that screen protector flex - I took the case off. There was also another thing I found to be as a shortfall, in my opinion. Back of the case has one of the best grips for holding it or placing on the surface. But the front of the case, although offering a very good protection, has plastic case sticking out further than rubber outer shell. Thus, once you place the case screen down, it's sitting on a plastic rather than rubber part. I can't comment if its like that with all Defender cases for other phones, but I don't understand why the design of outer rubber shell can't wrap around the plastic?

Even with these faults above, Defender still offers one the best protection for your phone. For those who work in harsh environment or extremely paranoid about dropping the phone - its one of the most solid protections. But at the same time I can also see why a number of people commented in both this and xda forums about Otterbox rushing out this design. Will give Ballistic and UAG a shot next.
Old January 14th, 2013, 11:40 AM   #44 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5; Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Did I say "Defender was the best case for me"? That was yesterday's news lol!!! Although still waiting for Otterbox warranty claim reply with a tracking number, I'm probably going to cancel it and return my case back to Verizon.
I did a similiar thing. I ordered a replacement and they sent me the wrong color (I had the glacier case; they sent me black). I got so frustrated at their slow shipping time and the screen protector issue that I cancelled the whole thing and sent it back for a refund. As much as these cases cost (I paid $60 directly from Otterbox), you would think they could at least send the replacement first class mail. Instead they use Fedex Smartpost - one of the slowest and cheapest shipping methods.

It's funny how long it took them to release these cases. You would think the workmanship would be better.
Old January 14th, 2013, 12:29 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren857 View Post
I did a similiar thing. I ordered a replacement and they sent me the wrong color (I had the glacier case; they sent me black). I got so frustrated at their slow shipping time and the screen protector issue that I cancelled the whole thing and sent it back for a refund. As much as these cases cost (I paid $60 directly from Otterbox), you would think they could at least send the replacement first class mail. Instead they use Fedex Smartpost - one of the slowest and cheapest shipping methods.

It's funny how long it took them to release these cases. You would think the workmanship would be better.
Thanks for the tip! I just called them up, referenced my Incident# and asked them to cancel it since it won't arrive within 10-day period I have left to return it back to Verizon store. Funny, this time a person I talked to didn't act surprised about screen protector issue. I sure hope Otterbox got plenty of feedback by now about their quality issue on N2 Defender (through warranty claims and Amazon comments - each one talking about screen protector).
Old January 15th, 2013, 01:57 AM   #46 (permalink)

I have the Defender and im really happy with it.

I dont have any problems with the screen protector on it.

I still have great touch screen responsiveness.
Old January 20th, 2013, 09:08 AM   #47 (permalink)

Device(s): White Note 2, Silver HTC M8

I have the commuter and I absolutely love it! The only complaint I have is that it keeps pulling up the corners of my screen protector but other than that no complaints
Old January 20th, 2013, 10:24 AM   #48 (permalink)

Otter box was great, I sent my defender back and they have shipped me a commuter. Should have early next week. They normally do not exchange one model for the other, but I luckily got a very cool customer service rep.

Old January 20th, 2013, 11:48 AM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Otter box was great, I sent my defender back and they have shipped me a commuter. Should have early next week. They normally do not exchange one model for the other, but I luckily got a very cool customer service rep.

Wow, indeed that was great! I guess you couldn't return it back to Verizon? Did you glue the screen back? I read in another forum that popping the screen out actually introduces a little flex to the phone since you have a slight gap now in absence of sp. Others fix it by sticking a little piece of tape inside. But anyway, I didn't want to bother myself with it.

UAG finally available for order and I got one coming my way when they start shipping it in early Feb.
Old January 20th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Wow, indeed that was great! I guess you couldn't return it back to Verizon? Did you glue the screen back? I read in another forum that popping the screen out actually introduces a little flex to the phone since you have a slight gap now in absence of sp. Others fix it by sticking a little piece of tape inside. But anyway, I didn't want to bother myself with it.

UAG finally available for order and I got one coming my way when they start shipping it in early Feb.
My local Verizons don't have the commuter and don't plan on getting them.

I tried everything with the screen guard, did no good.

Otter box for being so good about it gets me as a customer for life.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2