• 1 Post By oldboy74
  • 1 Post By Serpentine
  • 4 Post By Puppa
  • 3 Post By pool_shark
  • 1 Post By rabernet
  • 1 Post By bonerp

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 10th, 2013, 11:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (Sprint - activated), HTC EVO 4G (not activated), LG Optimus S (not activated)
Carrier: Sprint

Default Charging Practices?

What has everyone found to be the best charging practices (as far as maximizing use and battery life, while minimizing charge time)?

I'm asking because a friend said that charging overnight was detrimental because it leaves the phone on the charger with a full charge. I've also read that deep discharging was not recommended. Is there a "sweet spot"?

Thanks for any and all help.

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old January 10th, 2013, 12:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4,Galaxy S3,Galaxy S2 skyrocket, Samsung infuse, Galaxy note, Galaxy note 2.
Carrier: AT&T

I don't condition my battery and I leave it on the charger all night if it needs to charge. No problems so far and my battery lasts 18-20 hours no problem.
Old January 10th, 2013, 12:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note2
Carrier: Verizon

Use all day and charge at night. Getting 15 hours with moderate usage and still having 40+% left.
Old January 10th, 2013, 12:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Location: New York City is where my heart is but now I live in Delray Beach Florida

Device(s): Currently Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S3 4G LTE, Iphone 4 wifi only now, Ipad 2, HP laptop
Carrier: freakin' Verizon

i leave all my phones charging overnight.........no issues yet.
Old January 10th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Any GSM Carrier

I'll use my phone normally throughout the day. I'm left with around 50% by nighttime and then charge it overnight. About once every couple weeks, I'll drain the battery completely and then fully recharge it overnight. I've done this with all my phones and the battery has never been an issue for me ever.
Old January 10th, 2013, 01:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): Current: Galaxy S4 | Retired: Galaxy Note 2, Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus, HTC Thunderbolt, and

I just charge mine as needed. I also heard that letting them completely discharge is bad for the life of the battery.
BetaMan likes this.
Old January 10th, 2013, 02:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): Rooted Galaxy Note 2, Transformer Prime

Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrie View Post
I just charge mine as needed. I also heard that letting them completely discharge is bad for the life of the battery.
Essentially, charging to full and then discharging completely, then recharging to full again can set the battery stats. No worries about discharging completely
Old January 10th, 2013, 02:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 2, Xperia s, Desire HD
Carrier: Three UK

LI ion batterys don't like to be run completely flat, i'm a builder and a few of the tools i use have them and i found running them completely flat before recharging shortens their life, i have friends that have experienced it too.
BetaMan likes this.
Old January 10th, 2013, 03:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygu3 View Post
Essentially, charging to full and then discharging completely, then recharging to full again can set the battery stats. No worries about discharging completely
I do the same, except, in the Radio Control world that uses similar battery technology, you don't want a lithium battery to run all the way down. I charge fully, then discharge down to about 15%, recharge, and the battery is conditioned. Lithiums can be left on the charger overnight. Ni-Cads cannot.
BetaMan likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Serpentine For This Useful Post:
andygu3 (January 14th, 2013)
Old January 10th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2, HTC Rezound, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Droid Incredible
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Don't worry about it--the device software and hardware manage charging. It won't overcharge the battery, nor will it let you discharge the battery to the point of damage. Don't worry about the battery "learning" either. Just plug it in and forget about it, and unplug it when you're ready to go somewhere.
BetaMan, Wiley_11, ceva321 and 1 others like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppa For This Useful Post:
Cid67 (February 14th, 2013)
sponsored links
Old January 10th, 2013, 04:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note II

Send a message via Yahoo to pool_shark

I charge my battery whenever I want. I've done it that way with every phone I've owned.
I never listened to any of that "don't charge over night", let it run down to zero then fully charge" crap.
cdf3, Wiley_11 and ceva321 like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to pool_shark For This Useful Post:
Cid67 (February 14th, 2013)
Old January 10th, 2013, 04:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (Sprint - activated), HTC EVO 4G (not activated), LG Optimus S (not activated)

Sounds good. Is there any way to clear battery stats (for a rooted device)?
Old January 13th, 2013, 04:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

I have the phone charging whenever possible to preserve the endurance of the battery in the long run. I'm having a charging issue that a few others have mentioned. Some days the phone charges rapidly. On other days it is dead slow or, if I'm using the phone while it's charging the charging indicator is on but but percent of charge might increase very slowly or not at all.

I have several different chargers ,including the oem origianal. The slow charging situation comes and goes regardless of what charger I'm using.

I have a play store app called batery drain. It displays a percent rate of discharge or recharge, depending on whether the phone is running on ac or battery. At the moment it reports the battery is recharging at 2% per hour, very slow. At other times it may report 17% per hour. These percentages seem to correspond to my impressions of charging rates.

If slow recharging is going to be a persistant problem I'll need to have a spare fully charged battery on hand and a stand alone charger for it.
Old January 13th, 2013, 05:34 PM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 2 Amber Brown, Galaxy Note 3 Jet Black Galaxy Camera 2
Carrier: EE, Unlocked, sim free, European

In the week at work I usually charge every night even though sometimes there is 70% or more battery, always think that you never know when you will need the battery In case of emergency.
At weekends I can go one one charge sometimes, really good battery life in this phone.
Old January 13th, 2013, 08:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II

Default Re: Charging Practices?

I have 3 batteries, I usually keep one battery on the app spare battery charger, and one fully charged battery on my pocket. The only time I come my phone to a charger is when I'm driving. I keep the spare battery charging until I need to replace it with a spent one.

Sent using the force
Old January 14th, 2013, 12:16 PM   #16 (permalink)

Carrier: T-Mobile

Send a message via Yahoo to donziehl Send a message via Skype™ to donziehl

I have only one battery for now so I charge whenever I please. But usually charging it overnite and whenever I am driving ...

Sort of a habit and doing it on all my mobile devices (Laptop, Tablets, phones , etc ..) to drain them at least once a month and I don't have issues on them so far .

MabuhaY!
Old January 14th, 2013, 12:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
AF Addict

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi

Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,953 Posts

Ever since I got my Note 2's, I've rarely plugged them in. I purchased 2 of the extra battery stands (w/ extra battery), so I basically swap batteries whenever the battery gets down to below 15%. I have a stand at work and a stand at home, so it's been a perfect scenario for my needs.
Old January 14th, 2013, 12:52 PM   #18 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung GN2, previously, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Incredible
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
Ever since I got my Note 2's, I've rarely plugged them in. I purchased 2 of the extra battery stands (w/ extra battery), so I basically swap batteries whenever the battery gets down to below 15%. I have a stand at work and a stand at home, so it's been a perfect scenario for my needs.
I've got 2 on the way (delivering tomorrow) for the same reason - one at home and one at work. With the 50% off coupon, it was a no brainer.
drexappeal likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to rabernet For This Useful Post:
drexappeal (January 14th, 2013)
Old January 14th, 2013, 01:08 PM   #19 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung GN2

Use all day, charge all night. If I somehow do manage to get the battery low during the day then Ill charge it for an hour or so, the 2amp charges so damn fast that even a short period plugged in makes a huge difference.

If you don't have a Dropbox I'd love an extra 250MB <3
Old January 14th, 2013, 02:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
AF Addict

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi

Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
I've got 2 on the way (delivering tomorrow) for the same reason - one at home and one at work. With the 50% off coupon, it was a no brainer.
Yup. It's been amazing. Only thing that gets difficult is when I have to swap both the International and the Sprint Note 2. In those instances, I'll just charge my Sprint version on my Smart Dock (while at home).

I have a ebay battery as well (supposedly OEM), which seemed to work just as good as OEM, but didn't want to mix it up with all of the others, in the event I ever needed to replace one of them.
sponsored links
Old January 14th, 2013, 06:31 PM   #21 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Samsung Galaxy S5

Send a message via AIM to bluemsw

One thing to remember is if the phone shuts off because of a dead battery do not try to turn it back on until its on a charger or another battery is installed. Li-po batteries can develop a memory if there voltage is taken down to far.
Old February 1st, 2013, 11:01 AM   #22 (permalink)

Device(s): S Galaxy Note 2

Personally I don't do any battery conditioning and just connect it to the charger each night before I go to sleep and disconnect it next morning. If I am going to be out on the road a lot during a day I pop it on my car charger while I am out as I use CoPilot LIVE a lot.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 09:09 AM   #23 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note2

Default Re: Charging Practices?

Charge overnight, run all day. By the end of the day I am usually at about 30/40%.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:34 PM   #24 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
I do the same, except, in the Radio Control world that uses similar battery technology, you don't want a lithium battery to run all the way down. I charge fully, then discharge down to about 15%, recharge, and the battery is conditioned. Lithiums can be left on the charger overnight. Ni-Cads cannot.
I'm into RCs too so I know what you mean but I would think the phone has some sort of LVC control built in such that an indicated 0% would be an actual 20%
Old February 14th, 2013, 07:38 AM   #25 (permalink)

Device(s):

I've noticed that the Phone charges up much faster when it is on...as opposed to being off.

Questions

1. when charging your phone....is it best to turn it off (like at night when you are not using it)....or is it best to leave it on?"

2. Is there really a slow charge (like when you turn it off at night and charge it)? And if so...is that better?

thanks.
Old February 14th, 2013, 08:11 AM   #26 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (white) on 3 - UK. Samsung Tab S 10.5 (white). Nexus 7, OnePlus One
Carrier: Three - UK

I don't understand why you guys worry about charging batteries. Li-ion are memory free and chargers have micro processors to manage them.

Just plug in and use. I leave mine on when charging and have never conditioned it or any of that nonsense. Works as it did when I got it.
Wiley_11 likes this.
Last edited by bonerp; February 14th, 2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old February 14th, 2013, 09:03 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorman View Post
I've noticed that the Phone charges up much faster when it is on...as opposed to being off.
Is there really a slow charge (like when you turn it off at night and charge it)? And if so...is that better?
Two things determine how fast your phone charges. The most important is the charger you are using. If you're using the STOCK 2A charger that's the fastest, whereas your old charger from another phone is probably only .7 A and takes > twice as long. Note that the chargers for some pads are 2A and will be as fast as the stock one.
There are also some cables that limit what you can charge at, use the stock cable (or equivalent) if it seems to be charging too slow.

As far as it being on - whatever power that is being used by the phone will not be used to charge the battery. So if the phone is sleeping it really doesn't matter. But if you are using the GPS with a navigation app giving turn-by-turn while listening to music in the car you might only be barely keeping up with the drain.

Something to remember - look at the notification page, it should tell you 'Charging AC (or USB)' and if you are on AC and it says USB then either your cable or charger is too weak or the wrong one. That's the slow charge.
Old February 15th, 2013, 03:48 AM   #28 (permalink)

Device(s):

I know it's always more convenient to have someone tell you in one sentence what to do to care for your battery, but I find the internet to be a vast source of content if you search for it.

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

It re-iterates a lot of the advice given and also puts some of it into context.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2