Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 11th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: AT&T

Default Screen time out during calls

Just got a new Galaxy Note II. The other day during calls the screen was timing out as it should when holding it to my ear. It is no longer doing so and is rather annoying. Is there a setting I may have inadvertently changed? I have looked all over but can find nothing. I have searched the forums a bit but may not have worded my search properly. Any help would be appreciated.

sponsored links
Old January 11th, 2013, 06:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureboy67 View Post
Just got a new Galaxy Note II. The other day during calls the screen was timing out as it should when holding it to my ear. It is no longer doing so and is rather annoying. Is there a setting I may have inadvertently changed? I have looked all over but can find nothing. I have searched the forums a bit but may not have worded my search properly. Any help would be appreciated.

From the dialpad screen
  • Menu
  • Settings
  • Auto screen off during calls (check)

Hope that helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to ScandaLeX For This Useful Post:
Futureboy67 (January 11th, 2013)
Old January 11th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

That was a setting I hadn't checked. But... It was already properly checked.
Old January 11th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Tried the easiest thing of all and restarted it. Took care of the problem. Should have tried that first. Sorry for wasting your time!
Old January 11th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureboy67 View Post
Tried the easiest thing of all and restarted it. Took care of the problem. Should have tried that first. Sorry for wasting your time!
It's not a waste. The subject is now here for others to search on if they have a similar issue. It does raise an interesting thing though. And I hate to go all IT Crowd on folks but "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" is not just PC specific. My parents waited 4 months for me to get home and look at their digibox. I popped the cable in and out. Job's a goodun.

Sometimes a fluctuation in the transperambulation of pseudo cosmic antimatter will cause something to fail unexpectedly and a restart will fix it for the foreseeable future. Such fluctuations are rare however and so repetition of said errors will warrant further investigation.

If you do re-encounter such a situation as mentioned it may be that you have other software present that utilises the proximity sensor (one of the 2 holes between the front camera and the earpiece speaker bar) and that software had caused a lock.

If software is not the issue then I suggest checking for some of the following (not necessarily in order): phone shrimp, microscopic mischief monkeys, intelligent lint, contagious confetti, dastardly dark stuff, explosive earwax, clumsy thumbs. In short, anything that can block the proximity sensor.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bodestone For This Useful Post:
Futureboy67 (January 11th, 2013)

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2