Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 12th, 2013, 04:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Note 2 - None of the widgets and refreshing

Hello all,

I have joined this forum as I am at a loss! I love my galaxy note 2 but I dont seem to be able solve this problem. None of the widget's that I have added to my home screen seem to refresh, be they gmail, email, clocks, weather, bbc news and possibly even the live wall paper weather widget! Doing a 'clear memory' makes them work for a bit but then they all seem to just freeze up again. I have tried all of the suggestions I can find in forums and even done a factory reset to see if that cleared the issue, but no luck! Any help would be greatly appreciate! Cheers Nick - London

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old January 12th, 2013, 05:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Rooted Galaxy Note 2, Transformer Prime
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,273 Posts
Default Re: Note 2 - None of the widgets and refreshing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Will View Post
Hello all,

I have joined this forum as I am at a loss! I love my galaxy note 2 but I dont seem to be able solve this problem. None of the widget's that I have added to my home screen seem to refresh, be they gmail, email, clocks, weather, bbc news and possibly even the live wall paper weather widget! Doing a 'clear memory' makes them work for a bit but then they all seem to just freeze up again. I have tried all of the suggestions I can find in forums and even done a factory reset to see if that cleared the issue, but no luck! Any help would be greatly appreciate! Cheers Nick - London
Have you adjusted the widgets settings making sure that they refresh when you want them to. Some widgets are set to refresh every hour some may be set at no refresh until you open that application, that way the widget isn't sucking up any battery at all
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andygu3 For This Useful Post:
Nick Will (January 13th, 2013), saltz (December 18th, 2013)
Old January 12th, 2013, 07:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 2

Also, for them to refresh you need to ensure that you are syncing on a regular basis. The Gmail widget, for example, is likely to only refresh when the gmail account syncs with the mail server.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bodestone For This Useful Post:
Nick Will (January 13th, 2013)
Old January 13th, 2013, 02:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Hi there, thank you for the advice, but I have looked at both your suggestions before and have set all syncing to happen as regularly as possible to see if im getting anywhere. Its weird, the bbc news widget has keys to scroll from one story to the next and a refresh button. These respond with a 'flicker' when touched, but the the widget's wont up date (similar story with the others - although a clock should update constantly shouldn't it?) One thing I have noticed is that if I touch a button when frozen, then hit clear memory the widget's will update and will have scrolled on to the page that would have displayed when frozen? All a bit frustrating. Should I be going back to 3 Mobile where I bought it do you think?
Old January 13th, 2013, 03:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): One M8 (S-Off/rooted)
Carrier: Verizon

Are you using a custom launcher by any chance? I've seen this on Nova Launcher, but I think it was due to Beautiful Widgets (a fancy clock widget app) when it first for overhauled/updated, it somehow affected the launcher and all the other widgets and kept them from updating at all or being responsive to touch, so I had to restart the launcher (which is essentially what you're doing when you clear the memory) to fix them. So maybe it's one of the widgets that you're using? Have any of them had a big update recently or have you been experiencing this since you got the phone?
The Following User Says Thank You to PhilosoRaptor For This Useful Post:
Nick Will (January 13th, 2013)
Old January 13th, 2013, 03:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

No I only started getting this problem about 1 1/2 weeks ago. The phone did do some updates (I should have looked more closely to see what it actually was saying - feel like a muppet now). Ill try un installing beautiful widgets and see if that helps. But im a bit ignorant about the launcher side of things? I'll have a look inti it tho! Many thanks
Old December 18th, 2013, 07:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s):

Same issue for me on verizon. Stock. Have hated it. I check for solutions every 6 months or so.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Tags
widget

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2