Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 19th, 2013, 09:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Note Keeps Powering off.

I am becoming increasingly annoyed at my note 2 almost always powering off when placed in my pocket.So much so that i have had to purchase a Rock phone case . Nice case ,but more bulky than i would like.
Is there some way to disable the power button function of turning phone off when continuously held down??
Thanks

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old January 21st, 2013, 08:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4,Galaxy S3,Galaxy S2 skyrocket, Samsung infuse, Galaxy note, Galaxy note 2.
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by probe444 View Post
I am becoming increasingly annoyed at my note 2 almost always powering off when placed in my pocket.So much so that i have had to purchase a Rock phone case . Nice case ,but more bulky than i would like.
Is there some way to disable the power button function of turning phone off when continuously held down??
Thanks
The N2 shouldn't turn off just by holding down the power button. When the power button is held down it should come up with Power off>airplane mode> restart. Maybe a faulty phone?
Old January 21st, 2013, 01:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Motorola Atrix - all AT&T

As a guess, when you put it into your pocket something is hitting the power button AND the screen forcing it to shutdown.

Just holding the power button does not shut the phone off. (At least not on my AT&T version) with 4.1.2. It just brings up the menu option.

As a quick test, tape a piece of thin cardboard or put a post-it note over the screen to see if it still shuts off.

I use this case that I got on Ebay. Just look up this title

"Fashion Hard Gummy Case Cover Kickstand For Samsung Galaxy Note II 2 N7100 White"

It comes in several different colors (mine is all black). Now I don't feel like I am going to throw the phone every time I pull it out of my pocket.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 04:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

When i hold down off button for 6/7 seconds the phone definitely powers off and then back on. My phone is an international version N7100.
I asked the wife to hold down the power off button on her Galaxy 111 and the same thing happens. Takes about 10 seconds though and her power button is slightly recessed in the phone where as with the note the power button sticks out.
The Following User Says Thank You to probe444 For This Useful Post:
amramr (January 23rd, 2013)
Old January 23rd, 2013, 10:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s):

I just wish I could turn my POS phone back on. I bought my NOTE 2 17 days ago. I put it on the dresser, came back into my room 15 minutes later and now cannot get it to turn on. I never powered it down in the first place. The darn thing's blue light is nonstop blinking like I have a new text, but it's screen is black with no sign of life. I'm very sad :-(
Old January 24th, 2013, 04:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by amramr View Post
I just wish I could turn my POS phone back on. I bought my NOTE 2 17 days ago. I put it on the dresser, came back into my room 15 minutes later and now cannot get it to turn on. I never powered it down in the first place. The darn thing's blue light is nonstop blinking like I have a new text, but it's screen is black with no sign of life. I'm very sad :-(
Uhh....... Plug it in? Battery is low and phone has gone into "self preserve" mode to protect itself due to low battery. Plugging it in should solve your problem.
Old January 26th, 2013, 12:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s):

I have had the same problem, but it is not the power button. Mine kept shutting itself off as well and it was driving me nuts.

Then I figured it out... By accident. At dinner the other night I set my phone down on the table, face up, but ended up dropping it from about an inch or so off the table. No big deal. Has a TPU case and I drop my phones on my desk at work like that all the time. Well, the screen went black as soon as I did this and it dawned on me what had been happening. After a few more on/off tests, dropping it lightly from an inch or so off the table and it is confirmed that that slight jarring is turning the phone off.

I called Verizon and explained my findings. It's almost as if the battery is loose or the battery cover is warped, allowing the battery to jump off the contacts just enough to power the phone down. They sent me a new battery and back cover to try out and see if it happens again. It has been two days and the phone has yet to turn off. I have done some drop tests and have not had any issues. Hopefully it was that simple. If not, it may be something internal requiring a new device.

Do some little drop tests, making sure to drop it face up from just an inch to maybe a couple inches on to a table top or something. You may find the same thing happening.

Good luck.
Last edited by swaldrop; January 26th, 2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old April 14th, 2013, 10:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s):

Update to my last post... The problem is definitely hardware related and Samsung is not interested in solving the problem.

Take a look at this video: 20130413_212624.mp4 - YouTube

Also, take a look at this site I built that goes in to more detail regarding the issue: Verizon Galaxy Note 2 Shuts Off

One look at that short video and I am sure there will be some light bulbs going off. Be sure to read the details I provided on that site as well. They go in to detail about the problems that I have had and the lack of proper support that Samsung is willing to provide.
Old April 14th, 2013, 11:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaldrop View Post
Update to my last post... The problem is definitely hardware related and Samsung is not interested in solving the problem.

Take a look at this video: 20130413_212624.mp4 - YouTube

Also, take a look at this site I built that goes in to more detail regarding the issue: Verizon Galaxy Note 2 Shuts Off

One look at that short video and I am sure there will be some light bulbs going off. Be sure to read the details I provided on that site as well. They go in to detail about the problems that I have had and the lack of proper support that Samsung is willing to provide.

You can fix this by putting a rubber band/3/8" strip of a business card double thickness opposite the contacts and reinsert battery. Found this out with Palm Pre in 2009. It's the price we pay for a removable battery. Some batteries are smaller than others.

Old April 14th, 2013, 11:47 AM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley_11 View Post
You can fix this by putting a rubber band/3/8" strip of a business card double thickness opposite the contacts and reinsert battery. Found this out with Palm Pre in 2009. It's the price we pay for a removable battery. Some batteries are smaller than others.
I have tried a few things like you suggested. Didn't seem to work for me. The issue is present with any battery I have tried and I have tried a few. I suppose I could have 3 batteries that are too small, but I am over it. I have had a removable battery on every android phone I have ever had and have never seen this issue before.
sponsored links
Old April 14th, 2013, 12:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaldrop View Post
I have tried a few things like you suggested. Didn't seem to work for me. The issue is present with any battery I have tried and I have tried a few. I suppose I could have 3 batteries that are too small, but I am over it. I have had a removable battery on every android phone I have ever had and have never seen this issue before.
If you *jam* the battery into the contacts it should fix a loose battery. You seem to have a different issue. Except for sending it to Samsung I don't know what to say.
Old April 14th, 2013, 12:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley_11 View Post
If you *jam* the battery into the contacts it should fix a loose battery. You seem to have a different issue. Except for sending it to Samsung I don't know what to say.
The problem with sending it to Samsung is I do not believe it would accomplish anything. I have read other posts by people who did send their phone in and all Samsung did was flash the latest software. Again, this is not a software issue, but getting them to agree to that appears to be pretty difficult.
Old April 14th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 2 Amber Brown, Galaxy Note 3 Jet Black Galaxy Camera 2
Carrier: EE, Unlocked, sim free, European

Quote:
Originally Posted by probe444 View Post
When i hold down off button for 6/7 seconds the phone definitely powers off and then back on. My phone is an international version N7100.
I asked the wife to hold down the power off button on her Galaxy 111 and the same thing happens. Takes about 10 seconds though and her power button is slightly recessed in the phone where as with the note the power button sticks out.
Yep just tried mine, and it definately restarts after holding the power button for 6 or 7 secs, not an issue for me as I don't have it in my trouser pocket and its always in its case

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2