Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 21st, 2013, 09:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): DROID X
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Anyone know how to connect Note 2 to usb car head unit?

I recently bought a sony head unit for my car. I used a usb charger/cable to play music through my previous phone. Now that I'm using an android phone, the head unit says "no support" with the note 2 connected. It also connect and disconnects to charge every 5 seconds. And ideas how to fix these problems?

sponsored links
Old January 21st, 2013, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Sony Xperia Z Ultra (White), LG Nexus 5(White), LG Nexus 4 (Black), Pebble (white), Google CR-48
Carrier: T-Mobile (Prepaid)

A lot of these aren't compatible with Android unfortunately. Apple uses proprietary software instead of any sort of industry stardard which is the problem. Hopefully with the Android marketshare being way way up people should start making everything more compatible with Android devices.
The Following User Says Thank You to JunBringer For This Useful Post:
bugeyeblue (January 21st, 2013)
Old January 21st, 2013, 05:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Note 2, HTC Sensation

Send a message via AIM to mygt8a4re

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeyeblue View Post
I recently bought a sony head unit for my car. I used a usb charger/cable to play music through my previous phone. Now that I'm using an android phone, the head unit says "no support" with the note 2 connected. It also connect and disconnects to charge every 5 seconds. And ideas how to fix these problems?
Does your Sony head unit also have an addition 3.5mm (headphone style) jack on it? This will be the jack you want to use. You will need an auxilliary cable male/male stereo w/ 3.5mm ends.(looks like the end of your headphones, at both ends...Use the headphone jack on your Note 2 and the 3.5mm aux input on your head unit).....On my JVC the USB port only supports my little zip/thumb drive and will charge my phone, but my 3.5mm aux port is how I play music on my phone, as with all my android phones.....
The Following User Says Thank You to mygt8a4re For This Useful Post:
Old January 21st, 2013, 08:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts

3.5mm > bluetooth dongle/adapter. You can purchase one for cheap on ebay or the Samsung HS3000 or more expensive ones.
The Following User Says Thank You to drexappeal For This Useful Post:
Old January 21st, 2013, 11:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): DROID X

Thanks for the replies everyone. Yes, the head unit does have the 3.5 mm jack. I'll use that. I was just curious as to why it wasn't working, but also now that I know it won't work, why doesn't the USB port just keep charging the phone? It disconnects itself every few seconds and won't stay connected even just to charge the phone.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 02:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: 3

Did you try putting your phone into disk mode after plugging it in? Like if you were going to plug it into your pc? I wonder if that might work.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 11:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeyeblue View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. Yes, the head unit does have the 3.5 mm jack. I'll use that. I was just curious as to why it wasn't working, but also now that I know it won't work, why doesn't the USB port just keep charging the phone? It disconnects itself every few seconds and won't stay connected even just to charge the phone.
The Note 2 requires a higher amp charger to keep it charging consistently. I'd imagine that a USB port through a head unit wouldn't carry enough juice to keep the phone charging.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2