Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Find everything you need for the Galaxy S5 and discuss it in our S5 forum!
Have you seen that OnePlus One's awesome camera?? The forum is over here!

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 24th, 2013, 01:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Angry Displaying "No Messages" on stock sms app

I am using a galaxy note 2 4.1.1, when i open my message app, it will display nothing, i do have a lot of messages, it happens like everytime, maybe once a day, i have to kill the app so it goes back to normal, but sometimes it doesnt work. i have to reboot my phone.

my girlfirend is also having this issue, she's using galaxy s3.

we tried to restore to factory settings, but still like that.

is there someone else having this issue? i tried to google it but there's nothing i can find.

sponsored links
Old January 24th, 2013, 03:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung GS4 x 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 plus, Nexus 7 32gb

Thanked 1,162 Times in 770 Posts

Welcome to the forums, Finch!

Let me move this to the Note II forums so maybe one of your fellow owners can help you. I have a S3 and I have a ton of messages in my stock sms app. I never had that issue. So hopefully a Note II user can chime in.

I'll send you a link via PM so you know where you thread went.

Have a good one!
Old January 24th, 2013, 09:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s):

I have the same problem, happens once or twice a day. Get a screen pop up too, Unfortunately Messenger is unavailable

Only way to get back is to reboot.

Just picked up the phone on Monday, anybody else have the problem.
Old January 24th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts

Check the settings:

Open Text Message App>menu>settings>text message limit>Multimedia limit

What amount are those set to?

Also check:

Auto Retrieve (is this checked?)
Old January 25th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s):

Thanks for the response,

SMS limit was set to 200
MMS limit was set to 20

Auto Retrieve is checked
What does auto retrieve do?
Old January 25th, 2013, 03:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi

Default Re: Displaying "No Messages" on stock sms app

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socbum View Post
Thanks for the response,

SMS limit was set to 200
MMS limit was set to 20

Auto Retrieve is checked
What does auto retrieve do?
Well, seems like all your settings should be allowing for your messages to show up right away. If any of those were different, I thought maybe that would be cause.

Do you have any apps installed that you think could be conflicting with your stock messaging app?
Old January 26th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
Well, seems like all your settings should be allowing for your messages to show up right away. If any of those were different, I thought maybe that would be cause.

Do you have any apps installed that you think could be conflicting with your stock messaging app?
I downloaded GoSMS, it still like that. displaying no messages. I think it happens when i open and close the messaging app so fast. it happens on my skype too. i dont know whats wrong about getting a text message lol
Old January 26th, 2013, 03:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Re: Displaying "No Messages" on stock sms app

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch_emo44 View Post
I downloaded GoSMS, it still like that. displaying no messages. I think it happens when i open and close the messaging app so fast. it happens on my skype too. i dont know whats wrong about getting a text message lol
Sorry, not sure what that could be except maybe if you're in a bad service area, but even then it shouldn't do that once the message is downloaded
Old April 1st, 2013, 12:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post

It took awhile, but I was able to determine a couple of apps that was causing the conflict. The error was showing up multiple times per day and the rebooting to get back to normal was getting very annoying.

I deleted a couple of apps and the issue went away. I suspected the Whoisit to be causing the problem, but that was not the case.

I deleted Executive Assistant and Holo Launcher Plus. I suspect that EA was causing the conflict, but did not test by putting the app back on the phone. I like not having to reboot everyday.

Thanks again for the help in diagnosing the issue. I have not rebooted my phone for 185 hours (7 days)
Old April 1st, 2013, 01:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
It took awhile, but I was able to determine a couple of apps that was causing the conflict. The error was showing up multiple times per day and the rebooting to get back to normal was getting very annoying.

I deleted a couple of apps and the issue went away. I suspected the Whoisit to be causing the problem, but that was not the case.

I deleted Executive Assistant and Holo Launcher Plus. I suspect that EA was causing the conflict, but did not test by putting the app back on the phone. I like not having to reboot everyday.

Thanks again for the help in diagnosing the issue. I have not rebooted my phone for 185 hours (7 days)
Glad you narrowed down the apps that were causing it (or potentially causing it). I was really stumped on your issue. I've never really used any apps that would cause a conflict with my text messages, so it didn't even dawn on me that there might be some out there that would cause an issue like this.

At least you were somewhat of a guinea pig, in case others run into a similar/the same issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to drexappeal For This Useful Post:
Socbum (April 1st, 2013)
sponsored links
Old April 1st, 2013, 02:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s):

You said your girlfriend had a similar issue. Did you resolve that as well (ie. Narrowed down the app conflict)?
Old April 1st, 2013, 05:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s):

The O/P said that he and his girlfriend had the issue and was looking for others that experienced the same prob.

That is when I jumped in.
Old April 1st, 2013, 07:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
The O/P said that he and his girlfriend had the issue and was looking for others that experienced the same prob.

That is when I jumped in.
Oops. Sorry. I mistook you for OP for some reason...
Old November 19th, 2013, 04:45 PM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s):

Not to necro this thread, but this happens to me all the time and I have yet to find a resolution.

This is using a Galaxy S3, unrooted, using the stock app on the latest s/w available from at&t. The "quick" resolution is to try to compose a new message, the messaging app crashes, and then comes back ok, sometimes. Else I have to reboot my phone. It only seems to happen when I am texting heavily. I don't have the option to delete old messaged checked, and I do have auto-retrieve selected.

I was using GoSMS, but uninstalled because I thought that was an issue. but alas, I have the same problem with the stock app.

I use mightytext, which I love, and it allows me to do the aforementioned heavy texting
so the issue may be with that, but I wouldn't do nearly the same volume if texting directly from my phone (therefore I doubt I would be able to reproduce). this also happens a lot when at work, where the signal quality is poor, but it has also happened when at home where I don't have any provider connection issues.

I also dont have any of the apps the previous poster mentioned that might have conflicted on their device (whoisit, EA, and holo). I did go through and uninstall apps i never, or rarely, use; even if they were not SMS related

any help/suggestions appreciated!

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Tags
message app, no message, sms app, stock message app, stock sms app

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2