Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HTTR

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 1st, 2013, 12:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Galaxy Note 2 Text Messaging Bug

I am very happy with my Galaxy Note 2, but there is just one annoyance that keeps it from being perfect in my book. Every so often, the messaging app goes bananas and I can't send any messages. It won't even acknowledge that I just tried to send a text message... it just does not appear in the conversation screen. If i try to go back to the conversation threads, it will show all my messages for half a heartbeat, then switch to a blank screen. I have found no other remedy for this, besides restarting the phone and then everything is back to normal. It is a very annoying phenomenon and I want to stop it from ever occurring again. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old February 1st, 2013, 01:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master X is Watching You

Device(s): Galaxy S3 16GB Blue (x2) 4.1.1 ****** Galaxy mini ****** Galaxy Tab 8.9, ****** Galaxy Portal 2
Carrier: T-Mobile UK!

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,531 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to XplosiV xplosiv.ss@gmail.com

Try settings > applications

Select the Messaging app

Force stop

Clear cache

Go back to home screen and reload sms app.

Old February 1st, 2013, 10:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Yes I tried that but it did not work. I even cleared the messaging app data but that didn't work either. Freezing the messaging app "seems" to cure it, but then I'm not able to receive picture messages through GoSms. This is a very vexing conundrum
Old February 2nd, 2013, 03:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufondu88 View Post
Yes I tried that but it did not work. I even cleared the messaging app data but that didn't work either. Freezing the messaging app "seems" to cure it, but then I'm not able to receive picture messages through GoSms. This is a very vexing conundrum
if you tried all other methods, have you tried reset to factory default?

it is the best way to fix software error.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 09:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2, HTC Rezound, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Droid Incredible
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Default Re: Galaxy Note 2 Text Messaging Bug

I'm confused: your question seems to be about problems with the stock messaging app, but then you mention that you're really using GoSms. It seems like this could be an app compatibility problem, rather than a problem with the stock app itself.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 05:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 2 Amber Brown, Galaxy Note 3 Jet Black Galaxy Camera 2
Carrier: EE, Unlocked, sim free, European

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppa View Post
I'm confused: your question seems to be about problems with the stock messaging app, but then you mention that you're really using GoSms. It seems like this could be an app compatibility problem, rather than a problem with the stock app itself.
Yeah maybe the OP hasn't disabled the stock messaging app, I had to do this also when I installed Handcent SMS, otherwise 2 sets of notifications were coming in.
Old February 4th, 2013, 06:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 2 and iPhone 4s
Carrier: Rogers

Default Go is cool but stock keeps things simple

Quote:
I caught that too. Had a number of issues when I installed GoSMS so I simply uninstalled it and deleted. Back to normal now and fairly satisfied with stock.
Old February 6th, 2013, 09:45 AM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default text messaging bug

hi i am currently experiencing the same problem.. the only solution i can do is to restart my device.. please tell me how i can resolve this..
Old February 7th, 2013, 12:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Verizon

Hi. I too am currently having this same issue. I am on my second device. I took my device to Verizon where they replaced it no questions asked. While having both devices on my possession for well over a week I tried all of the same fixes as well as factory reset twice. It's doing the same thing on both devices and this is the native sms messaging that comes on board. I don't know what else to. It's becoming more frequent. I believe it to be Touchwiz that's causing the issue as some other apps tend to foreclose as well including Touchwiz itself upon reboot. Please help!
Old February 7th, 2013, 09:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5; Samsung Galaxy S5
Carrier: T-Mobile

The only thing I can think of is maybe another app you have installed causing these issues. Check the permissions of the appa you have installed and see if they have sms privileges.

Also, I suggest a hard reset. After that, do not install any 3rd party apps and see if that fixes the problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to ren857 For This Useful Post:
ufondu88 (February 12th, 2013)
sponsored links
Old February 7th, 2013, 09:58 AM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note2

Hanscent was goofy for me as well. Went back to the stock messenger program..works fine and actually prefer to third party.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
TheOtherBill likes this.
Old February 8th, 2013, 02:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Yes I thought it was a problem with the stock messaging app, but even after freezing the stock messaging app, the problem still occurred with GoSms. I have tried to delete GoSms and use the stock messaging app exclusively, but it still happens. I was contemplating doing a factory reset as the nuclear option, but I believe kespann3 said that that doesn't seem to help. For what it's worth, the problem seems to occur during periods of heavy texting (sending and receiving)
Old February 8th, 2013, 02:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

It is also weird that this is occurring on the Note 2, but my brother who uses the Galaxy S3 has never had this issue. He also uses GoSms over stock messaging.

I am not entirely sure that this is connected in any way, but as far as I know, this never happened when I was unrooted. I am rooted and running the stock rom.
Old February 10th, 2013, 08:22 AM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note II

I took the advice and went through my list of apps that showed permissions allowing access to my sms and deleted any that said editing of sms etc. On that list was Viber(which I think to be the culprit.....incompatible app) as well as Google Voice and some others that I rarely use and wouldn't miss. Once I deleted them I cleared the cache partition and haven't seen it in 2-3 days. I'm going to add back the apps I deleted one by one until I pinpoint the troublesome app for sure. It isn't Google Voice as I've added that back first so we'll see. I'll keep updating this post as I learn something new.
Old February 12th, 2013, 03:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by kespann3 View Post
I took the advice and went through my list of apps that showed permissions allowing access to my sms and deleted any that said editing of sms etc. On that list was Viber(which I think to be the culprit.....incompatible app) as well as Google Voice and some others that I rarely use and wouldn't miss. Once I deleted them I cleared the cache partition and haven't seen it in 2-3 days. I'm going to add back the apps I deleted one by one until I pinpoint the troublesome app for sure. It isn't Google Voice as I've added that back first so we'll see. I'll keep updating this post as I learn something new.
EXACTLY!!! As soon as I made my last post, I deleted Viber and have not had this issue since. I still have Google Voice installed, but I rarely use it. So far, I think the culprit was Viber
Old March 19th, 2013, 03:17 PM   #16 (permalink)

Device(s): S3, Evo LTE,Galaxy Note, Skyrocket, Aria, Nook Color Lg thrill,HTC EVO 4g, HTC Inspire,S7 slim,Acer

Thanked 1,467 Times in 989 Posts

Same issue here on a sprint note. Started after the MA7 update.

Viber nor any other txt app installed...does it on stock and rooted versions of ma7 software
Old March 21st, 2013, 11:44 PM   #17 (permalink)

Device(s):

I'm using Handcent with absolutely no problems. You don't need to disable the stock app either, you can just disable notificationsin in one or the other. My old phone gave me double notifications if I didn't disable them in the stock app but on the note 2, I left them enabled in both and only get one notification.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2