Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By sincere11105

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 7th, 2013, 08:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Sprint

Default Just made the switch

I was an iPhone user since 2009. I just made the switch to Android with the note 2. All I have to say is why did I wait so long. I love this. I do have a question. I have it for sprint. Does any one know how to change the notification icons? For instance, I would like to add airplane mode up there and remove power saver.
drexappeal and JunBringer like this.

sponsored links
Old February 7th, 2013, 09:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II
Carrier: AT&T

Welcome !! I made the big switch as you. Airplane mode is already up there.. just press and swipe left =)
Old February 7th, 2013, 09:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northstar01 View Post
Welcome !! I made the big switch as you. Airplane mode is already up there.. just press and swipe left =)
I'm glad I made the switch.

I don't see airplane mode. I scrolled and the lady one I see is multi Window.
Old February 7th, 2013, 10:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

^^ are you doing this from the quick notifications menu?

Swipe down from the phone (top to bottom) your quick access will pop up.. then swipe Left and you will see the other functions.
Old February 7th, 2013, 10:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northstar01 View Post
^^ are you doing this from the quick notifications menu?

Swipe down from the phone (top to bottom) your quick access will pop up.. then swipe Left and you will see the other functions.
Yes. I see 10 functions in total. Airplane mode is not one of them. If it's not possible is ok since this is more than what iphone was able to do without a jailbreak
Old February 7th, 2013, 10:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

screen shot.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_2013-02-07-11-29-00.png (58.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: png Screenshot_2013-02-07-11-28-49.png (66.3 KB, 18 views)
Old February 7th, 2013, 10:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): Note II
Carrier: Bell

What the holy heck is driving mode & why dont I have it..!? lol
Old February 7th, 2013, 10:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid67 View Post
What the holy heck is driving mode & why dont I have it..!? lol
I think different carriers have different features
Old February 7th, 2013, 10:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi

Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts

Important thing to mention, what provider?

All of the US domestic providers have managed to switch which toggles are shown at the top.

On my International version, which I updated to 4.1.2 a couple weeks ago, can change which toggles show on the quick settings menu.

On my Sprint version, it definitely has different toggles than ATT and I'd suspect they're different from Verizon.

So, that said, please be sure to mention which provider and version of the Note 2 you have when inquiring. You'll get a more accurate answer.
Old February 7th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

I thought I mentioned it in my original post. I have Sprint
sponsored links
Old February 7th, 2013, 11:59 AM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincere11105 View Post
I thought I mentioned it in my original post. I have Sprint
My bad...just saw that. Airplane mode is not one of the toggles, but...if Sprint allows for the change of notification toggles, once they release 4.1.2, you'll have the ability to change those.

If you want to temporarily add some notification toggles, I actually use Widgetsoid for some apps that I want toggles on for 3rd party apps. It works great for my needs, so you may want to check that out. You can customize the colors to match (as closely as possible) the Samsung toggles.

So, to answer your question (bottom line), no...you can't currently change the OEM toggles on the Sprint version of the Note 2. If you want to get to Airplane mode quickly, just hold down the power button and there's a selection for Airplane mode.
Old February 7th, 2013, 12:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
My bad...just saw that. Airplane mode is not one of the toggles, but...if Sprint allows for the change of notification toggles, once they release 4.1.2, you'll have the ability to change those.

If you want to temporarily add some notification toggles, I actually use Widgetsoid for some apps that I want toggles on for 3rd party apps. It works great for my needs, so you may want to check that out. You can customize the colors to match (as closely as possible) the Samsung toggles.

So, to answer your question (bottom line), no...you can't currently change the OEM toggles on the Sprint version of the Note 2. If you want to get to Airplane mode quickly, just hold down the power button and there's a selection for Airplane mode.
Thanks. I didn't realize that it was in the power menu. That's not too bad. Why do carriers have the day on updates. I guess I'm used to Apple where everyone gets it once it's released
Old February 7th, 2013, 12:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks. I didn't realize that it was in the power menu. That's not too bad. Why do carriers have the day on updates. I guess I'm used to Apple where everyone gets it once it's released
Main reason is because Apple prevents that from happening, whereas Google has more of an open agreement with the providers to have more input into what goes on the phone and also allows the providers to add certain software elements.

There was an article the other day about an activist that is trying to get the government involved to force providers to be less restrictive on Android updates, so the manufacturers and Google can push out updates faster. It's also a big reason that many Android enthusiasts prefer the Nexus phones over others, since Nexus phones are controlled more by Google.
Old February 7th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Main reason is because Apple prevents that from happening, whereas Google has more of an open agreement with the providers to have more input into what goes on the phone and also allows the providers to add certain software elements.

There was an article the other day about an activist that is trying to get the government involved to force providers to be less restrictive on Android updates, so the manufacturers and Google can push out updates faster. It's also a big reason that many Android enthusiasts prefer the Nexus phones over others, since Nexus phones are controlled more by Google.
I'd have to take a Look at that Article l think Carriers should be less restrictive when it comes to updating devices.
Old February 7th, 2013, 12:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I'd have to take a Look at that Article l think Carriers should be less restrictive when it comes to updating devices.
Yeah, it's a tradeoff. The manufacturers play a part as well, since Android is an open system and iOS is not. The manufacturers add software components onto Android, to distinguish themselves, but when connecting to Android updates, they might even have tweaks prior to the providers having their input.
Old February 7th, 2013, 06:42 PM   #16 (permalink)

Device(s): Sony Xperia Z Ultra (White), LG Nexus 5(White), LG Nexus 4 (Black), Pebble (white), Google CR-48
Carrier: T-Mobile (Prepaid)

I came from an iPhone as well, though I've had a bunch of Android devices at this point. Once you learn the ins and outs you'll never look back. Welcome to the forums!
Old February 7th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #17 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Quote:
I totally agree with this, but I'll stick with less-than-ideal updates if it means I get $400 off on the cost of the phone!! So worth it.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2