Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By tipopilota
  • 1 Post By PhilosoRaptor

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 9th, 2013, 07:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Cry MMS Pic displays as video... why???

I'm totally new to Android... Getting use to my new Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and my question is:

Why does a picture that has been sent to my by message look like a 2:00 minute video with the rewind, play, FF buttoms on it?

Thanks so much in advance for your help!!!

sponsored links
Old February 9th, 2013, 10:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II, Lenovo 2107F, Galaxy Gear Watch
Carrier: Verizon

Was it sent from an iPhone? Seems pictures I get from iPhone users come that way.
Old February 9th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Note II
Carrier: Bell

Tell the person to send the pic by itself & then type the text they want after the pic is sent...See if it still happens.. I've read that when people send text with a pic as one mms is does this...

This is the only thing I hate about android is the LAME MMS it has....

Try sending them a video via mms aint gonna letcha... =\
Old February 9th, 2013, 04:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Sony Xperia Z Ultra (White), LG Nexus 5(White), LG Nexus 4 (Black), Pebble (white), Google CR-48
Carrier: T-Mobile (Prepaid)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa_sailor View Post
Was it sent from an iPhone? Seems pictures I get from iPhone users come that way.
ditto
Old February 13th, 2013, 11:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 2

Use Go SMS Pro and it is fixed using that.
BufordTJustice likes this.
Old February 14th, 2013, 04:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Sensation 4G, Samsung Galaxy Note 2, iPad2
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid67 View Post
Tell the person to send the pic by itself & then type the text they want after the pic is sent...See if it still happens.. I've read that when people send text with a pic as one mms is does this...

This is the only thing I hate about android is the LAME MMS it has....

Try sending them a video via mms aint gonna letcha... =\
This is not an Android issue. I never experienced this on my HTC Sensation 4g.
I see it now on my N2 and also find it annoying.
Old February 14th, 2013, 09:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): - T-Mobile Defy on AT&T 850/3G, or on T-Mo - AT&T Galaxy Note on AT&T - T-Mobile Gal Tab 7.0 Plus on

Default Re: MMS Pic displays as video... why???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phever View Post
This is not an Android issue. I never experienced this on my HTC Sensation 4g.
I see it now on my N2 and also find it annoying.
I gave my friend my Sensation 4g, and experience the issue when she sends me pics (simple mobile to T-Mo). I also experience it when my co-worker sends fro his Note2 to mine (at&t to T-Mo).
Old February 14th, 2013, 10:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4,Galaxy S3,Galaxy S2 skyrocket, Samsung infuse, Galaxy note, Galaxy note 2.
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by colnago View Post
I gave my friend my Sensation 4g, and experience the issue when she sends me pics (simple mobile to T-Mo). I also experience it when my co-worker sends fro his Note2 to mine (at&t to T-Mo).
This also has happened when my friend sends me pics from his evo and also his new DNA.
Old February 14th, 2013, 11:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

This has been an issue on Android/Carriers since I had my OG Droid. I saw it on my Galaxy Nexus and see it on my Note 2 too. Every time it happens to me, I notice that it always happens when the other person sending me the message is on a different carrier than me, so I think it's carrier related, not phone related. I saw this because my mom can send me a pic from her iPhone 4 on Verizon and it displays as a pic fine. But I have a friend in school with me with an iPhone 5 on AT&T and when he sends me pics from his iPhone, they open as video messages.

I use Handscent SMS and it seems to alleviate the issue for most messages. But for some reason my friends iPhone 5 on AT&T still play as videos even when opening them in Handscent. I have seen instances where the stock messaging app plays a picture as a video though, then Handscent will open as a normal picture.

So it may be a combination of phone/carrier differences. I've searched this issue many times for the last few years and never find a definitive explanation for it.
TheOtherBill likes this.
Old February 14th, 2013, 11:53 AM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4,Galaxy S3,Galaxy S2 skyrocket, Samsung infuse, Galaxy note, Galaxy note 2.
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilosoRaptor View Post
This has been an issue on Android/Carriers since I had my OG Droid. I saw it on my Galaxy Nexus and see it on my Note 2 too. Every time it happens to me, I notice that it always happens when the other person sending me the message is on a different carrier than me, so I think it's carrier related, not phone related. I saw this because my mom can send me a pic from her iPhone 4 on Verizon and it displays as a pic fine. But I have a friend in school with me with an iPhone 5 on AT&T and when he sends me pics from his iPhone, they open as video messages.

I use Handscent SMS and it seems to alleviate the issue for most messages. But for some reason my friends iPhone 5 on AT&T still play as videos even when opening them in Handscent. I have seen instances where the stock messaging app plays a picture as a video though, then Handscent will open as a normal picture.

So it may be a combination of phone/carrier differences. I've searched this issue many times for the last few years and never find a definitive explanation for it.
For me GoSMS pro has solved the issue so far. I have a friend with a Tmo S3 and one with a Sprint S3 and pictures are coming up as photos instead of slideshows. Will have to find someone with an iphone to try.
Last edited by Veritas4420; February 14th, 2013 at 12:15 PM.
sponsored links
Old February 14th, 2013, 12:07 PM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Sprint

I'd take tipopilota's advice and try using GO SMS. This app should solve all your group messaging and mms (picture and video) issues on the note 2.

GO SMS Pro - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jb.gosms

You will be able to take part in group text with iphones and will be able to view pics as separate images, not as a slide show

make sure you go into the "Receive Settings" and disable other message notifications so your not receiving two notifications for the same text

make sure you go into the "Send Settings" and make sure MMS Group Chat is enabled and split conversations is unchecked

You will still be able to view all of your text in the stock app if need be (and even google voice if you are using it)
Old February 14th, 2013, 04:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s): Note II
Carrier: Bell

Its not carrier related this also happens on our shared family plan Im the only one with a Android (the rest iPhones) & it does it on mine...Sending an actual video message to or from my Note2 is pretty much useless as well to anybody if their on the same carrier or not..

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Tags
mms

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2