Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By NeoGrandizer
  • 1 Post By BufordTJustice

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 9th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Weird note 2 screen issue 2 (help pls)

hi , i am using note 2 for 4 months and i am so happy from phone but today i found out that there is annoying problem on screen, when i opened some web page screen i noticed other scene appered from my whats app conversation i had with friend...you can see it when you have white or light colour on screen if you look carefuly ,i wonder if it can be disappeared by time or not..actually i am very upset and sad...

sponsored links
Old February 9th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s):

From what you are describing, you are likely seeing screen burn-in. Unfortunately, it is irreversible and the damage is done. Only thing is to get the screen repaired or exchange.

This is unfortunately one of the flaws using an AMOLED screen. What were your screen settings? If you left it on for a very long time at a very high brightness level, then that is expected.
Old February 9th, 2013, 09:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

i had manual settings which was not full bright but its nearly 80% , do you think i can live with it ? or they can change it easly? ..when its full screen i see dark box of chat and some letters but in general look it doesnt seen like phone is jacked up...
edit: i remember now actually tomorrow when i fell asleep..i had that conversation and phone was on floor....maybe it hited and screen is there....is it possible ?
Last edited by omercito; February 9th, 2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old February 9th, 2013, 10:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s):

Nearly 80%? That's enough to kill the screen especially if the screen is lit and not turned off. Unfortunately it has to be sent in for repairs. You basically burned out some emitters that are now causing the ghosting images. I think warranty will cover it, but not too sure.

If you can live with it sure, but I would rather have it repaired especially if it is still covered under warranty.

This has plagued several devices that use OLED screens. Even the original Galaxy Note had this apparent flaw.

Know that the higher the brightness setting and longer the screen is on = shorter screen life. I have mine on auto brightness/tones as well as 'movie' settings. At least with these settings, I hope that it will extend the life of the screen as well as give more 'realistic' look of images.
omercito likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to NeoGrandizer For This Useful Post:
iReP PHiLLY (February 10th, 2013)
Old February 10th, 2013, 06:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

okay thank you so much for quick answers ..i very much appriciate it
Old February 10th, 2013, 08:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoGrandizer View Post
Nearly 80%? That's enough to kill the screen especially if the screen is lit and not turned off. Unfortunately it has to be sent in for repairs. You basically burned out some emitters that are now causing the ghosting images. I think warranty will cover it, but not too sure.

If you can live with it sure, but I would rather have it repaired especially if it is still covered under warranty.

This has plagued several devices that use OLED screens. Even the original Galaxy Note had this apparent flaw.

Know that the higher the brightness setting and longer the screen is on = shorter screen life. I have mine on auto brightness/tones as well as 'movie' settings. At least with these settings, I hope that it will extend the life of the screen as well as give more 'realistic' look of images.
So if I have my screen at 50% with no auto-brightness (I don't like the brightness changing randomly) and I have it on a lot (say, text messaging so that it turns off and on very often with each message) I am decreasing the life of my screen? I had no idea about any of this. I am a bit bummed.
Old February 10th, 2013, 08:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Well if our Note 2 brightness levels are kept at 50% and we still experience burn-through then something isn't right! If that does turn out to be the case then there's no doubt that Samsung has a produced a defective product! That just shouldn't be happening at that level of brightness period!
Old February 10th, 2013, 10:55 AM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickler View Post
Well if our Note 2 brightness levels are kept at 50% and we still experience burn-through then something isn't right! If that does turn out to be the case then there's no doubt that Samsung has a produced a defective product! That just shouldn't be happening at that level of brightness period!
This is an apparent weakness with AMOLED screens. It is a flaw in all products that have these screens and are not limited to Samsung. These screens are still relatively new technology and screen life is still to be determined. It is known that very brightly lit static screens do diminish the life of the screen in the long run.

It WILL happen regardless of product. It will degrade over time. OLEDs are a different technology then LCD or LED. So far degradation of these screens are apparent and manufacturers are aware of it. I think Samsung tried going back to a non-pentile matrix with different emitters to try to extend life of the screens. But so far, degradation is still happening at some level and will be based on the user's usage patterns.
Old February 10th, 2013, 11:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

Well if indeed it is a known problem, then I think the only standup thing for Samsung to do would be to extend the warranty on these type screens! Clearly, this isn't acceptable performance!
Old February 10th, 2013, 01:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Well if indeed it is a known problem, then I think the only standup thing for Samsung to do would be to extend the warranty on these type screens! Clearly, this isn't acceptable performance!
Yeah. But unfortunately that probably won't be happening with any manufacturer. Just hope they still honour the warranty and not chalk it up to regular wear and tear.
sponsored links
Old February 10th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s):

Jeez. Had I known this. I woukd have stuck with Iphone and bought Iphone 5. This is total bs. Well thankfully I am still within my 30 days. Tomorrow I am going back to Best Buy to exchange it. I am bummed. Learning about this but glad I did now while I can still exchange. I love this phone but that flaw is a serious one especially for the price. Iphone 5 may not be as good but at least it has a resale value and I do not have this screen issue. Thanks for this important info. Back to Apple I go. I knew there had to be a flaw to this phone and I am so mad cause I love the phone.
Old February 11th, 2013, 10:07 AM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s):

I guess you can consider this a big drawback with OLEDs at the moment. It is still newer technology compared to LCDs and LEDs. OLEDs use less power and give better colour saturation. Unfortunately life on these screens still need to be determined. They do have a finite lifespan like the old CRTs.

Screen degradation will be based on the user's usage patterns. Static images are also more likely to burn out an emitter more than non static images. Regardless though, the screen will eventually 'die' in time. How much time is not really known.
The Following User Says Thank You to NeoGrandizer For This Useful Post:
PiscesCloud (February 11th, 2013)
Old February 11th, 2013, 10:38 AM   #13 (permalink)

Indeed this is disappointing info:
http://expertscolumn.com/content/oled-advantages-and-disadvantages

Not sure if this is enough justification to jump ship though. Will the display give us good performance over these 2 year contracts is the question, and no one seems to know!
Last edited by stickler; February 11th, 2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old February 11th, 2013, 11:02 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewels45 View Post
Jeez. Had I known this. I woukd have stuck with Iphone and bought Iphone 5. This is total bs. Well thankfully I am still within my 30 days. Tomorrow I am going back to Best Buy to exchange it. I am bummed. Learning about this but glad I did now while I can still exchange. I love this phone but that flaw is a serious one especially for the price. Iphone 5 may not be as good but at least it has a resale value and I do not have this screen issue. Thanks for this important info. Back to Apple I go. I knew there had to be a flaw to this phone and I am so mad cause I love the phone.
Jewels45: Please give us an update on what you finally did because I'm in the same boat, and my Note 2 is a week old today.
Old February 11th, 2013, 11:16 AM   #15 (permalink)

NeoGrandizer, just curious as to what phone you use?
Old February 11th, 2013, 11:54 PM   #16 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
NeoGrandizer, just curious as to what phone you use?
LOL. I have the Note 2. I just gave my original Note to my future sister-in-law. I use it alot when I am mobile. At home, I use the Note 10.1 instead.
Old February 12th, 2013, 12:08 AM   #17 (permalink)

Cool!
Old February 13th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #18 (permalink)

Device(s): iPhone, Galaxy Note II
Carrier: US Cellular

Switching phones because of this issue seems absurdly presumptuous. The amount of time you would have to be on your phone to actually notice a difference would be astronomical. Not to mention you would have to use the phone for many years to come and if you have this phone at this point in it's life you are most likely an early adopter and will only use the phone until your contact expires and/or the next Top device comes to the market.
Justafew likes this.
Old February 13th, 2013, 02:07 PM   #19 (permalink)

I'm not going anywhere.
Old February 13th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #20 (permalink)

Device(s):

I don't plan on going anywhere either.

I guess it'll be up to the person who owns the device. OP's screen failed after 4 months of use. I've heard others falling in the same ballpark or a little under a year. Some probably just don't like that feeling or taking chances. Up to them to make that decision. It's their decision after all.

In the meantime, I'll be enjoying the time I have with my Note 2 regardless. LOL.
sponsored links
Old February 13th, 2013, 06:30 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoGrandizer View Post
I don't plan on going anywhere either.

I guess it'll be up to the person who owns the device. OP's screen failed after 4 months of use. I've heard others falling in the same ballpark or a little under a year. Some probably just don't like that feeling or taking chances. Up to them to make that decision. It's their decision after all.

In the meantime, I'll be enjoying the time I have with my Note 2 regardless. LOL.
Me too!

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Tags
note 2 problems, note 2 screen problem, samsung galaxy note 2, samsung galaxy note 2 screen, screen problem

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2