Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By NeoGrandizer
  • 1 Post By NeoGrandizer
  • 1 Post By NeoGrandizer

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 11th, 2013, 08:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Note II
Carrier: Bell

Footmouth 4.1.2 updated battery drain

Updated a few days ago on Bell network and wow I have a massive battery leak now
Over night it'll drain from full to almost dead and I just charged it an hour ago to 100 and now I'm at 88 anyone else have this happen?
Also how do I go back down to 4.1.1?

Peace

sponsored links
Old February 11th, 2013, 08:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

I did a clean install on the update. I do not have any issues with it yet. Battery life is still the same for me.

You need to have Kies installed and do an emergency firmware recovery. Do a backup as this will wipe everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to NeoGrandizer For This Useful Post:
Cid67 (February 12th, 2013)
Old February 12th, 2013, 10:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Yah I did just a "air" update I'll try the Kies next & see if that helps if not I guess back down to 4.1.1

Cheers
Old February 12th, 2013, 02:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s):

You can do a hard reset first to see if that alleviates the problem. If it doesn't then do the emergency firmware recovery. This should reinstall 4.1.1 on the device.

If you do decide to revert back to 4.1.1 do a clean install of it. Then when finished, do another clean install of the 4.1.2 update. Maybe that will resolve any conflicts you may be experiencing. If not revert back again. Only thing you'll waste at this point is time.
Old February 12th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Hard reset as in jackin the battery ?
Old February 12th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s):

Hard reset destroys all your data and restores the phone to factory defaults. It is important to backup ALL important data before proceeding with this. This is why it is a 'last resort' solution when troubleshooting issues with device.

I generally prefer doing a hard reset through the Android Recovery Console than the phone's 'Back up and reset' setting.

To access the Android Recovery Console, completely shut down your Note 2. Press and hold the power button until a menu pop ups. Select Shut down. When fully powered off, remove your microSD card (just to be on the safe side) from the phone.

1) press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together at the same time.
2) wait for the device to boot to the Note 2 logo and only let go of the Power button
3) when you see the green android on your screen, let go of the other buttons
4) it should now be booting to the Android Recovery Console
5) use the volume +/- buttons to navigate the menu
6) scroll to 'wipe data/factory reset' and press the power button
7) scroll to 'Yes -- delete all user data' and press the power button
8) it will wipe/restore partitions
9) when completed, select 'reboot system now'

The device is now reset back to factory defaults. You can test and see if issues are still present. This should hopefully resolve any issues with the update. If it does not, follow the above steps again before doing the emergency firmware recovery via Kies PC software.

Once you restore to 4.1.1 do another hard reset. Then proceed to download and install 4.1.2. Once this is done do another hard reset. You have now done a clean install for 4.1.2 and should fix most (if not all issues).

Hopefully, you won't need to resort to the emergency firmware recovery.
PiscesCloud and softarno like this.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NeoGrandizer For This Useful Post:
Cid67 (February 13th, 2013), mistereee (March 12th, 2013), Pinmac1 (May 25th, 2013), PiscesCloud (February 13th, 2013)
Old February 13th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Ah that hard reset forgot about this thanks..!
Old February 13th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid67 View Post
Ah that hard reset forgot about this thanks..!
No worries. Just hoping it works out and you don't need the firmware recovery.
Old February 14th, 2013, 09:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

I have to do something this battery drain is crazy bad..
I can sit there without using the phn @ all & look @ it every 1/2 hour or so & its draining up to 10% a hour with 0 use..
Kies just updated as well so hopefully something will change
Peace

EDIT : They must have changed the button config or something with the update cause I can not get my phn to boot into recovery console using that method..I have before & know how to use it so not sure whats happenin.. =\

EDIT AGAIN : disregard that last statement had a major brain fart & was forgetting to hold the home button haha
Last edited by Cid67; February 14th, 2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old February 14th, 2013, 05:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid67 View Post
I have to do something this battery drain is crazy bad..
I can sit there without using the phn @ all & look @ it every 1/2 hour or so & its draining up to 10% a hour with 0 use..
Kies just updated as well so hopefully something will change
Peace

EDIT : They must have changed the button config or something with the update cause I can not get my phn to boot into recovery console using that method..I have before & know how to use it so not sure whats happenin.. =\

EDIT AGAIN : disregard that last statement had a major brain fart & was forgetting to hold the home button haha
I've been working through an unusual battery drain too - not near as bad as yours. I think mine is somehow related to a mobile signal problem.

Only advice I can offer based on my experience trying to isolate the issue is to factory reset to wipe everything out, install nothing, basically don't use the phone, and watch the battery usage. If it's good - then it's your apps/setting. If it's still draining, you're beyond my paygrade.

I know the process sucks, but that's what I've been doing.
sponsored links
Old February 14th, 2013, 07:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s):

CoreyV, you are correct. Sometimes an update may conflict with some apps and cause odd things to happen. Sometimes it can rear its ugly head and expose a hardware flaw as well. Sometimes resulting form an incompatibility between drivers, hardware and software.

Unfortunately, it does happen.

That's the reason I prep my devices and do proper backups prior to any update. I prefer to be on the safe side and do a clean install and save myself some headaches. It will hopefully minimize the amount of conflicts I might encounter otherwise. Also helps clean out the junk in my phone from previous uninstalled apps, etc. But that's just me.

Cid67, I hope you get your issue resolved soon.
Old February 15th, 2013, 10:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

I did the wipe & restored from backup & all is good in the world once again
BUT now when I plug the phn in with Kies running I have to disconnect & reconnect the phn many times before it is actually recognized so I switched to Wondershare MobileGo for android.. Connects in seconds WAY faster backp & restore and the wifi connection is mch better than Kies....
Old February 15th, 2013, 08:08 PM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s):

Yeah, Kies is rather flaky. LOL.

Good to hear all is well again with your Note 2.
Cid67 (March 11th, 2013)
Old February 26th, 2013, 02:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2 16GB Titanium on O2 UK with 64GB Sandisk class 10 micro SD card
Carrier: O2-UK

Send a message via ICQ to Liam548

did you try a battery testing app to see if any apps were now sucking the juice following the update.

Whens 4.1.3 out lol
Old March 10th, 2013, 10:04 AM   #15 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung galaxy note 2
Carrier: Virgin

Default clean install

Hi NeoGrandizer. Pl can you explain what is a clean install? TIA. I'm new to Android phone but learning a lot from this forum, thanks to you people.
Yes, I'm also getting dramatic battery drain after updating to 4.1.2.
And why do you not use reset option in the settings? Just curious.
Old March 10th, 2013, 12:45 PM   #16 (permalink)

Device(s):

A clean install is basically that. Installing a fresh OS in a freshly reformatted partition. This eliminates any junk files that may still be residing in the system. Residual files residing from the previous OS may still be active and may cause issues with the device. I use this method to minimize issues that may occur. From conflicting drivers or system files.

I prefer the Android Recovery Console when doing a hard reset because the console shows you what it is doing. Wiping and reformatting all partitions. Both the cache and internal system partitions. I don't think the reset to factory defaults in the settings does this. As Android OS is still up and running. It is also much slower because of this.

As for emergency recovery, it looks like it's not possible to revert back to the previous version if the update was successfully installed. It'll ask for a code which is only given if there was an issue with the update being installed at the time. Other method would be to grab a stock ROM and flash through ODIN.

Of course, make sure all important data is backed up in all cases.
madaboutplants likes this.
madaboutplants (March 12th, 2013)
Old March 11th, 2013, 10:42 AM   #17 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

You can revert back to 4.1.1 & see the battery drains if it does its probably a hardware issue

Or you can reinstall 4.1.2 and as CoreyV said see if the battery drains with this OS as well with nothing else installed..
Old March 11th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #18 (permalink)

Device(s): ASUS TF-101, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 & 3.
Carrier: Sprint

I did a clean wipe, then re-install of every thing and up graded to 4.1.2 ota with Sprint.
I have noticed more of a battery drain then before but not "real bad".

Lateck,
Old March 11th, 2013, 08:48 PM   #19 (permalink)

Device(s):

You wiped, then installed apps, then did the OTA? If you did that, you might of well have just installed the update on top of what you already had. You probably have an app installed or something that is conflicting with the update. Do another wipe and see if it'll fix the issue.

A clean install involves:
1) doing a hard reset back to factory defaults through Android Recovery Console (this involves wiping both internal and cache partitions and repattitioning them again)
2) download and install the update via OTA or Kies
3) doing another hard reset again

Then you start reinstalling the apps and restoring your data.
madaboutplants likes this.
madaboutplants (March 12th, 2013)
Old March 12th, 2013, 04:12 AM   #20 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 2 GT-N7100

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoGrandizer View Post
You wiped, then installed apps, then did the OTA? If you did that, you might of well have just installed the update on top of what you already had. You probably have an app installed or something that is conflicting with the update. Do another wipe and see if it'll fix the issue.

A clean install involves:
1) doing a hard reset back to factory defaults through Android Recovery Console (this involves wiping both internal and cache partitions and repattitioning them again)
2) download and install the update via OTA or Kies
3) doing another hard reset again

Then you start reinstalling the apps and restoring your data.
Now when i do the hard reset i see am still on 4.1.2 and seems i cant get back to 4.1.1.
So i did that way but not really many times but again after downloading and reinstalling the update i did another hard reset but lost all the sample pictures,vedio and snote folders (lifestyle,ideasketch..... ect)
Now whats wrong? or when i do hard reset i lose these things?
sponsored links
Old March 12th, 2013, 02:06 PM   #21 (permalink)

Device(s):

Unfortunately, if the update was applied successfully, you cannot revert back to the previous version by 'normal' means. Not even a emergency firmware recovery through Kies will allow it.

The ONLY alternative you have (without tripping the flash counter and voiding warranty) is to use ODIN and the CARRIER'S OFFICIAL STOCK FIRMWARE 4.1.1. Basically you will have ODIN flash the stock firmware to your phone. But this method can wipe your data in the process. So make proper backups before attempting this. You can probably find these at XDA. If the counter is tripped, there is a way of resetting it. But not too sure about that method. Again, XDA should have a solution.

I think the update got rid of them. The reason why it was probably still present in the device was because it was residual files from the previous vesion. I don't have the samples anymore which I'm quite happy about. That was one of the first things I got rid of when I got my Note anyways. Don't need them.
softarno (March 12th, 2013)
Old March 12th, 2013, 02:34 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Unfortunately, if the update was applied successfully, you cannot revert back to the previous version by 'normal' means. Not even a emergency firmware recovery through Kies will allow it.

The ONLY alternative you have (without tripping the flash counter and voiding warranty) is to use ODIN and the CARRIER'S OFFICIAL STOCK FIRMWARE 4.1.1. Basically you will have ODIN flash the stock firmware to your phone. But this method can wipe your data in the process. So make proper backups before attempting this. You can probably find these at XDA. If the counter is tripped, there is a way of resetting it. But not too sure about that method. Again, XDA should have a solution.

I think the update got rid of them. The reason why it was probably still present in the device was because it was residual files from the previous vesion. I don't have the samples anymore which I'm quite happy about. That was one of the first things I got rid of when I got my Note anyways. Don't need them.
Thanks

And Sure i want go through all that mess coz simply i dont need all that,but my question is do i need to re download the 4.1.2 after hard reset or since its there then no point?
Also dont need the samples but thought i am missing something
Old March 12th, 2013, 10:16 PM   #23 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by softarno View Post
do i need to re download the 4.1.2 after hard reset
If your device was successfully flashed to 4.1.2, there will be no more OTA/Kies updates to download/install. You can only do a re-download/reinstall if the original update failed and an emergency firmware recovery was required (since the phone will be reverted back to the previous revision before the update).

Quote:
or since its there then no point?
The reason for doing another hard reset after the install is to remove trace residual files from the initial update/install that may still be present. This primes your device and ensures that most residual files are gone.

Now, doing another hard reset (after all this) depends on the user. I, personally, like to 'flush' my system every 3-6 months to keep it in 'tip-top' shape. Reason is, over time, I can cram too much 'junk' into it and really need to clean it out. Spring cleaning for the phone you might say.

That's why a hard reset never bothers me as others because I am so used to doing them so often.
Old March 12th, 2013, 11:35 PM   #24 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default Re: 4.1.2 updated battery drain

I had the same problem with my Bell version, simple factory reset from device menu fixed the battery issue and now I think 4.1.2 actually gets better life than 4.1.1 did.
Old March 13th, 2013, 06:25 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
If your device was successfully flashed to 4.1.2, there will be no more OTA/Kies updates to download/install. You can only do a re-download/reinstall if the original update failed and an emergency firmware recovery was required (since the phone will be reverted back to the previous revision before the update).

The reason for doing another hard reset after the install is to remove trace residual files from the initial update/install that may still be present. This primes your device and ensures that most residual files are gone.

Now, doing another hard reset (after all this) depends on the user. I, personally, like to 'flush' my system every 3-6 months to keep it in 'tip-top' shape. Reason is, over time, I can cram too much 'junk' into it and really need to clean it out. Spring cleaning for the phone you might say.

That's why a hard reset never bothers me as others because I am so used to doing them so often.
Thank you
Guess i got your point very clearly, though am one dont mess around much with apps and all, so guess as long as everything is ok no need to reset every 3 or 6 months, but who knows
Anyways thanks allot i forgot that its just a another computer phone device so what we do for computers are almost same and applicable in that small one
Old March 13th, 2013, 02:13 PM   #26 (permalink)

Device(s):

Another good practice I found is to do a hard reset the moment I get a new device. Might as well start fresh from the get go. LOL.
Old July 6th, 2013, 03:42 PM   #27 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note
Carrier: O2

Quote:

The device is now reset back to factory defaults. You can test and see if issues are still present. This should hopefully resolve any issues with the update. If it does not, follow the above steps again before doing the emergency firmware recovery via Kies PC software.

Once you restore to 4.1.1 do another hard reset. Then proceed to download and install 4.1.2. Once this is done do another hard reset. You have now done a clean install for 4.1.2 and should fix most (if not all issues).
I have a Galaxy Note 1 that I am looking to wipe and reinstall 4.1.2 due to battery life problems and slow running. I have been steered here from the Note 1 forum. Thanks for the method suggested above which I would like to follow but I have a couple of questions.

I assume that the reset is the same on the Note 1 as it is on the Note 2? I recently upgraded from 4.0.4 to 4.1.2 but, can't remember what the OS was when I bought it a year ago. Which OS will it revert to? Do I then just go straight to installing 4.1.2 via Kies or OTA? If so, what is the reason for the second hard reset suggested above after the installation of 4.1.2? Does this not reset it back to whatever OS it was originally?

Also, as I want to do a completely clean install I want to reformat my SD card. I have taken a copy of it just in case I need anything. Will it be OK to have a blank SD card and at what point should I reformat it?

I'd be grateful for any help with this, as the the thought of doing this is making me nervous!
Old July 6th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #28 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinmac1 View Post
I assume that the reset is the same on the Note 1 as it is on the Note 2?
Only if it has the physical home button on it (N7000 version). Basically a slightly shorter and wider version of the Note 2 in appearance. If you have the US/NA release (which has no physical home button, but 4 capacitive buttons), you need to follow a different procedure to get to the Android Recovery Console.

Quote:
I recently upgraded from 4.0.4 to 4.1.2 but, can't remember what the OS was when I bought it a year ago. Which OS will it revert to?
The Note came originally with Gingerbread 2.x. The first major update was to ICS and now JB. If you successfully flashed JB into your Note, that is the OS firmware version (4.1.2) it will revert to after a hard reset back to factory defaults. You cannot revert back to ICS or GB after a successful ROM update.

Quote:
Do I then just go straight to installing 4.1.2 via Kies or OTA? If so, what is the reason for the second hard reset suggested above after the installation of 4.1.2? Does this not reset it back to whatever OS it was originally?
Unfortunately, if you already flashed 4.1.2 successfully into the device, you cannot revert back to a previous build using normal methods. KIES will not work in this fashion.

Quote:
Also, as I want to do a completely clean install I want to reformat my SD card. I have taken a copy of it just in case I need anything. Will it be OK to have a blank SD card and at what point should I reformat it?
Doesn't matter. You can reformat the card with the phone before or after the hard reset. You can also reformat the card on your computer.

As I mentioned earlier, the US/NA variant of the Note uses a different method to get into the Android Recovery Console. Since it doesn't have a physical home button, you need to press the following buttons all together at the same time - Power, Volume up and down. Then follow the rest of the steps.

You can perform a hard reset back to factory defaults and see if that resolves anything. If it doesn't and you want to revert back to an earlier build, you will need to visit XDA. You will need ODIN and the original stock ROM specific to your Note. You cannot use KIES for this.
Pinmac1 (July 7th, 2013)
Old July 7th, 2013, 10:45 AM   #29 (permalink)

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, being in the UK I have the N7000 with the physical home button so I can follow your instructions. It sounds as though it might all be easier than I imagined. I hope that I only need to do the one reset to put a fresh 4.1.2 on there and then all will be fine! Hope to give this a go tomorow. Thanks again for your help.
Old July 8th, 2013, 06:25 AM   #30 (permalink)

I have reset the Note according to the instructions at #6 and reformatted the SD card. It went very quickly and seemed to go well. But when I checked my USB (internal) storage I was surprised to see that it still contained my old data, photos, videos, music and 6.82Gb of Miscellaneous files. I see that there is an option to Format USB storage but I really thought that this would have been done by the factory reset?

Just to be clear, I would like to get back to a state with absolutely nothing on the device so that I start absolutely clean. If I need to do another reset to achieve this then I'd rather do it now before I rebuild. Or can I just do the Format USB storage?
sponsored links
Old July 8th, 2013, 07:57 AM   #31 (permalink)

Device(s):

Whoops. I forgot the Note had 2 internal storage partitions. Yeah, you would need to format the USB storage as well. The hard reset to factory defaults does not wipe out this partition. It is seen like an external SD card.

Probably reformat the USB storage, hard reset and reformat the micro SD. Then monitor your device for any strange or abnormal behavior. This is probably the best one can do to have the cleanest slate possible.
Pinmac1 (July 8th, 2013)
Old July 8th, 2013, 08:07 AM   #32 (permalink)

I had a look and it appears that the "normal" reset via Settings does wipe the USB storage. As I have already started putting some apps back on, would it be OK just to Format USB storage or am I best to start again with a factory reset?
Old July 8th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #33 (permalink)

So this is getting a bit weird... I decided that it would probably be safer to start again from the beginning so, belt and braces, did a hardware reset from Settings and did another from the Android Recovery Console. Started up again and my first indication of anything odd was when I was offered a choice between Touchwiz and Apex Launcher. I had downloaded Apex Launcher as well as a few other apps before I wiped again but they had gone in the wipe, right? No - when I selected Apex Launcher there was my homescreen nearly as I'd had it prior to the second wipe but not quite. I checked and the USB storage had been wiped but these programs are in the main storage. It's actually making the reload a lot easier but I really don't see how it happened.
Old July 8th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #34 (permalink)

Device(s):

Never had that happen before. And I've hard reset my Note a few times (I717 version). The only thing that remained after all that was just the USB storage which I left alone with no ill effects. But that was when I was getting the ICS update. Don't know about JB as I don't have the Note anymore to see.

Sounds like it didn't do a clean wipe if that is happening.

Another method I found (but did not test) is doing a reset from KIES. Under Tools>Firmware upgrade and initialization. I think this might wipe the entire contents of the device and redownload/install the current firmware. I'm just guessing at that as I've never attempted this on any of my Notes before. But the dialog box that pops up suggests it.
Pinmac1 (July 9th, 2013)
Old July 9th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #35 (permalink)

I've continued to rebuild my phone and all seems to be going fine. It's really strange as some of the settings etc I'd changed in between the resets I did had stuck and some hadn't. Resetting and rebuilding has been a lot less scary than I thought it would be and it's quite therapeutic to have a clean phone. Thanks for your help, your guide gave me the confidence to do the wipe in the first place.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2