Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 12th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default First time Android buyer - Rooting question.

I'm a first time Smartphone buyer and looking at our purchasing the Note 2, but have a few questions before I do so....

If I root the Note 2 and/or put a custom ROM on it, will I lose the S-Pen capabilities? If so, am I able to get those features back?

Also, have you guys rooted note 2? Do you advise for or against it?

I really enjoy using the S-Pen, especially as a substitute for my finger, and just hoping I can retain those capabilities if install a custom ROM.

Additionally, the Note 3, is it expected to be announced around the time of MWC or later in the year at IFA?

Any Help would be great, thanks.

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old February 12th, 2013, 09:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

1. No you will not loose spen function. I would highly doubt that there is a developer out there that has made a rom that disables that function.
2. Rooting is for the person that wants more control over your device. There are really cool apps out that require root. If you are happy with the stock os then rooting may not be for you. If you want to over clock the cpu, tweak voltage consumption and other cool stuff rooting is for you.
3.I dont know anything solid about note 3 release or details.

The note2 is a great hand set. I think you will enjoy it.
Old February 12th, 2013, 11:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Rogers..

a former long term iPhone user and i had to jailbreak those phones since Apple is so tight on what you can and cannot do. You cant even use an application on iPhones to block numbers unless its jailbroken.

That said, I have now had the Note 2, 2 months and its my first android but I have to say that I havent felt the need to root this one since it is, simply, more open than iphones were.

There is one app I have that would fare much better rooted, and that is CEREBUS but in my case it is very unlikely that my phone will be answer it can be stolen, so that is not enough reason for me to root it. (Cerebus can be easily wiped off if not rooted so a theif can get away with your phone, otherwise he can be tracked if it is rooted)

the downside to jailbreaking the iphone was that like any computer, the more software you put on to it, the quicker it bogs down, or one software doesn't work with another software, etc, so I found that my iPhone always worked far better when it wasn't jailbroken, hence, no urgency to root the android when there are only 1-2 advantages for me. Not worth how it slows down
Last edited by ShelaghDB; February 12th, 2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old February 13th, 2013, 06:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Rooted Galaxy Note 2, Transformer Prime
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,273 Posts
Default Re: First time Android buyer - Rooting question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsm1 View Post
I'm a first time Smartphone buyer and looking at our purchasing the Note 2, but have a few questions before I do so....

If I root the Note 2 and/or put a custom ROM on it, will I lose the S-Pen capabilities? If so, am I able to get those features back?

Also, have you guys rooted note 2? Do you advise for or against it?

I really enjoy using the S-Pen, especially as a substitute for my finger, and just hoping I can retain those capabilities if install a custom ROM.

Additionally, the Note 3, is it expected to be announced around the time of MWC or later in the year at IFA?

Any Help would be great, thanks.
1. All of the touchwiz based roms have the s-pen working, AOSP roms DO NOT have the native s-pen working but there are apps on the market that can do a decent job

2. I would NEVER buy a device again without finding root. Even if I stayed on a stock based rom, Titanium Backup is the best application root or unrooted and it's the most essential app for my phone.

3, No worries about the s-pen. Plus if you're into google wallet, the latest Sprint ma5 modem does have google wallet working

4. In my opinion, who the **** cares about the G-Note 3, if you feel like you will be disappointed by getting the note 2, then don't get it. Newer and better phones will be released soon, that's just a reality and there's nothing you can do but by rooting the phone, you will never be left behind in the android os department. Developers will always have android open source project (aosp) roms when Samsung decides to stop updating the G-Note 2
Old February 13th, 2013, 08:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Verizon

Send a message via Yahoo to pool_shark

1. As stated above, ASOP ROMs do not have s-pen functionality.

2. Rooting is never a necessity, it's a personal preference based on wanting more access to the device. I always root because I like to use busybox to use the Unix command line. I also root for titanium backup.
As for this device, rooting it can give you the ability to have all apps in multi-view. Without it, you will have to mod the apps yourself and some can't be modded, or you have to wait for the developers to code support for multi-view.

Everything about the Note 3 at this point are all rumors.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2