• 1 Post By twister6
  • 1 Post By narutoninjakid
  • 1 Post By twister6
  • 2 Post By twister6
  • 1 Post By twister6
  • 2 Post By ScandaLeX

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 15th, 2013, 11:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2, S5
Carrier: V

Default Review of UAG (Urban Armor Gear) case for Note 2 w/lots of pictures!!!

Here is it, review of long awaited Urban Armor Gear (UAG) Samsung Galaxy Note 2 case! URBAN ARMOR GEAR

Since I don't own iPhone or S3, my experience with previous UAG cases was based on reading only reviews from others, and it seems those cases were quite popular with a huge fan base. Note 2 case introduced a new design, and that generated a mixed reviews. I'm personally looking at the case as is without comparing it to previous models.

The case came in a nice packaging box, nothing too fancy but with a clear display and highlights of the features. In addition to the case, UAG included a screen protector, a small screen cloth and a squeeze for sp installation. I can't comment on sp since I already have one installed, but I have a feeling its a basic one. I can comment it had a good cut, although didn't feel as thick as some other 3H film screen protectors.
Also, as part of new "vent" design, it came with 2 inserts in orange and black. Those are interchangeable and you can use either one. There has been a lot of discussion about quality of material used on these inserts (in other forums) and perhaps some people had higher expectations. These inserts are cardboard cut outs with diamond textured design and some thin laminating layer on color side. Each insert is colored on one side, while white on another side. In theory you can make your own inserts. Those have two side cut outs that align with guiding small pins inside of the case. Once you put down the insert, you better keep the case horizontal while inserting the phone, otherwise the insert will move. When phone is inserted into the case - inserts stay dead on, although if you shake the phone you will hear it move a little bit. Don't get me wrong, it looks cool as hell, and could be easily fixed with a little piece of scotch tape holding it down. The vent itself should keep air circulating which is a good idea while charging the battery.

The case is VERY light - amazing considering the high level of protection it offers at a minimum added bulk. Of course, just like any case it adds some bulk, but when you compare to other case with equivalent level of protection - this is feather-light! The construction is composite where inner protection bumper and outer shell are molded together. Yes, I would consider the inner rubber (hard TPU material) to be a bumper since
it doesn't wrap around the back of the phone. The outer shell made of a very high quality impact plastic material, definitely not some cheap brittle stuff. The inner side of the plastic shell has honeycomb pattern, while the outer side is smooth and has sort of sandblasted finish. I do have to note, plastic does feel a little slippery in your hands. I have heard this will go away with time, but I still have to point it out. But since they have vent cut out in the back and also hard rubber bumper around the edges of the screen, you still get an acceptable grip when holding it in your hand. The rubber bumper doesn't pull away and fits around the edge of the phone very snugly. The only place where it pulls a little bit is at the bottom in the aread of micro-usb connector, but very slightly. It also offers a very nice lip to protect the screen of the phone when faced down, and a VERY good corner protection with some extra material while still keeping it slim and not exaggerated around corners like
some other designs do. Furthermore, the back of the phone has 4 subtle stands in a shape of a torx screw head. Those are of course not real screws but rather rubber bumps, but functionally it's brilliant since you can put your phone down on the back and it will keep it from sliding!!! This little design detail is so subtle yet brilliantly functional and adds to "urban" style of the phone.

Port openings are very generous; mic openings big enough for a clear sound, micro-usb opening is wide enough to accommodate after market connectors, headphone jack should accept a connector up to 3/8". S-pen opening deserves a special mentioning. It's not your typical rectangular opening, and narrows down while still giving enough room for a nail to grab the edge of s-pen when pulling it out. Just a very nice detail. Speaker grill has a cross line which makes speaker design with a battery cover of the phone to look partitioned and cool next to the grill design. Camera and led flash openings are partitioned - a very clever idea for glare-free flash photos! Volume and power buttons have a very unique design to make them look like a separate external buttons. These buttons have a
separate slit opening along one side to make them push easier. I very clever idea! I have documented all these details in my pictures.

Another comment I would like to bring up is the color of the case itself. Since I choose Navigator to compliment my white GN2, I want to mention that white of the case is a few shades brighter than white of the phone - not a big issue since those two colors don't come in contact. I do want to mention also, there is a little flex when you push down on the vents. I assume that was always part of the design even with solid back on iPhone/S3 cases. With vents cut outs, it's more visible now. I would say it could be looked as positive and negative point. Positive since it absorbs some shock if case falls down flat on its back, and negative since you are opening back door to lint and dust getting under the vent.

Overall, its a very unique design that offers both a visual eye candy and a decent level of protection to the phone. I tried to be fair in my review and describe all the positive and negative points I found, IMHO. But in my personal opinion - I highly recommend it!

As usual, I will leave the rest to the pictures. Please keep in mind due to case being white, my camera had a hard time focusing.

Advertisements
Last edited by twister6; February 15th, 2013 at 02:07 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twister6 For This Useful Post:
AdamdangA (February 15th, 2013), LilBit (March 3rd, 2013), YouGonaEatThat (March 27th, 2013)
sponsored links
Old February 15th, 2013, 11:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

I guess you can consider this as the first mod Actually someone else done it before, but I'm elaborating on details with more pictures!

Yes, you can have GN2 in OEM Flip case going right into UAG case and it works! Of course, there are some limitations. You can flip the cover all the way around, unless you modify UAG case by cutting it's side (which nobody in their right mind going to do). And, because the left side is covered by flip case, UAG volume buttons will not be pushing directly on phone's volume, which makes it a lot harder to work BUT it WORKS!!! So here you go, an alternative to add flip cover to your UAG case

ScandaLeX and LilBit like this.
Last edited by twister6; February 15th, 2013 at 01:34 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to twister6 For This Useful Post:
LilBit (March 3rd, 2013)
Old February 15th, 2013, 01:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxty Note 2 on AT&T - 16gb Titanium Grey
Carrier: AT&T

This is an awesome review, I have been waiting to see how this thing looks!
Old February 15th, 2013, 01:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Any GSM Carrier

If I hadn't already bought an Otterbox Commuter, this case probably would've been my next purchase. Good review.
Old February 15th, 2013, 01:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): One M8 (S-Off/rooted)
Carrier: Verizon

Looks like a really nice case. Though it better be for $40 (+ $3 S&H). That's a bit more than I ever want to spend on a case.
Old February 15th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Now, checkout the first "official" mod to UAG case, posted in my place-holder post right after OP.
Old February 15th, 2013, 01:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilosoRaptor View Post
Looks like a really nice case. Though it better be for $40 (+ $3 S&H). That's a bit more than I ever want to spend on a case.
Supply and demand law Give it another few weeks when UAG gets more in stock and you will see price being adjusted, in my opinion. Plus, they are good with running specials around holiday. When this case was introduced last month they actually had 25% coupon.
Old February 17th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

Send a message via AIM to GeneralPatton

I don't really care for my Ballistik case, so I ended up buying the UAG in black. Should be here next week.
Current Phone:
[ Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - Jelly Beans B8 ROM
]
Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Still trying to decide between Navigator (white) and Scout (black) for my white Note 2. Since my OP has pics with Navigator, I'm adding a new set of pics with Scout. Maybe some will find it useful for their own comparison.

LilBit likes this.
LilBit (March 3rd, 2013)
Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
AF Contributor

Device(s): ZTE Warp N860 Custom Rom, Galaxy S4 Stock, Galaxy Note III, Resurrection Remix, 5.1.5 final,
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanked 3,311 Times in 2,151 Posts

Wow!! Super awesome !! Thank's a lot!!
sponsored links
Old March 5th, 2013, 10:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

If you guys saw my Seidio CONVERT review, you probably seen how excited I was about it's holster. Well, it just so happen that UAG case fits perfectly inside of that holster!!! Here are the detailed pictures of how UAG case looks with CONVERT holster - a match made in heaven Beside a perfect fit, this holster has spring loaded latch which can be locked to prevent accidental opening.

Old March 15th, 2013, 10:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Here is IMHO a must have MOD with CONVERT holster This is adhesive credit card pouch (3 pack for $5.99 from http://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-Adhesive-Credit-pocket-cellphone/dp/B00AZVTWPI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1363361096&sr=8-4&keywords=adhesive+card+holder).

Although designed for iPhone size, it fits perfectly inside of the holster, sticks very well even so it's not a flat but rather textured grid surface. Material is stretchy and soft, and easily holds 3 cards and a few bills. When phone is in, it doesn't even touch the screen, and even if it does - material is very soft. So now, you have your phone in a holster and no need for a wallet if you throw in your driver license, credit and atm card, and some money!

This is how it looks with UAG case:

Old March 15th, 2013, 02:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II , HTC EVO V 4g (Rooted S-OFF CM10.1)(Retired) iPad 4 32G

Default Re: Review of UAG (Urban Armor Gear) case for Note 2 w/lots of pictures!!!

How is this compared to trident aegis I can't decide I'm looking for best protection
tniceman likes this.
Old March 15th, 2013, 03:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by narutoninjakid View Post
How is this compared to trident aegis I can't decide I'm looking for best protection
Check out my comparison/review I posted over at XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=38572203
Old March 15th, 2013, 03:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung GN2, previously, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Incredible
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

The first thing the white one reminded me of was Storm Troopers from Star Wars! LOL

Thanks for your review!
Old March 15th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #16 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II , HTC EVO V 4g (Rooted S-OFF CM10.1)(Retired) iPad 4 32G

Question

which offer better protection for the corners. If phone falls on corner i want to make sure some sort of protection is in place. it seems that the UAg reinforces corners but i dont really see that on the Aegis. what do you think ? is Aegis good enough?
The Following User Says Thank You to narutoninjakid For This Useful Post:
speedlever (May 17th, 2013)
Old March 15th, 2013, 10:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
which offer better protection for the corners. If phone falls on corner i want to make sure some sort of protection is in place. it seems that the UAg reinforces corners but i dont really see that on the Aegis. what do you think ? is Aegis good enough?
UAG will offer a better corner protection.
Old March 17th, 2013, 01:07 PM   #18 (permalink)

Question Is it Good ?

IS this case better than trident im looking for protection and this case cost about 10 more but im willing to spend it if the case is really good. Also is any of the case soft plastic or is it all hard plastic. Does it absorb shock ?
Old March 17th, 2013, 01:33 PM   #19 (permalink)

Question

I ALWAYS go for black cases but i think the white UAG case looks way better than the white one. What do you guys thinks ?
Old March 17th, 2013, 03:38 PM   #20 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

What color is your Note 2? My thinking behind choosing white UAG with my white Note 2 was that 1) white shows details better, 2) I wanted to keep everything down to 2 colors, black & white. With white case you have contrast of black bumper, black corners, and can use black grill insert. I do have to mention that white color of the case doesn't match exactly white color of the phone, but since you have a black bumper, white of the phone doesn't come in direct contact with white of the case. Also after a few months of use, white color of the case hasn't changed, nor does it picked up blue off my jeans. The material itself is hard plastic with sort of sandblasted feeling. With black everything fades into one color, unless you use orange or other color insert. But hey, it's just my opinion.

It will definitely absorb shock really well. I tell you one deciding factor - a number of people complained about UAG because of its squared off design. Aegis has a more rounded off grip that will feel more comfortable in your hand. So perhaps if you get your hands on both and try it out - you will be able to make up your mind? I have no problem and personally don't mind UAG grip
sponsored links
Old March 17th, 2013, 05:16 PM   #21 (permalink)

i have the titanium one
Old March 17th, 2013, 05:53 PM   #22 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
i have the titanium one
Go for a white case!
Old March 17th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #23 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
Go for a white case!
yeah i was thinking that white has alot of different colors and contrast
Old March 26th, 2013, 05:31 PM   #24 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
If you guys saw my Seidio CONVERT review, you probably seen how excited I was about it's holster. Well, it just so happen that UAG case fits perfectly inside of that holster!!! Here are the detailed pictures of how UAG case looks with CONVERT holster - a match made in heaven Beside a perfect fit, this holster has spring loaded latch which can be locked to prevent accidental opening.

Is there a way to just buy the Holster?? i already have the UAG case
Last edited by ScandaLeX; March 27th, 2013 at 01:18 PM. Reason: FIXED QUOTE
Old March 26th, 2013, 09:31 PM   #25 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Sure, just get CONVERT Add-on kit which includes holster and CONVERT add-on shell and frame. Keep the holster and sell CONVERT shell

SEIDIO | Convert Add-on Kit for Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Anybody with SURFACE or BB Platinum (the same cases) can use that CONVERT shell on top of their case.
Old March 26th, 2013, 09:51 PM   #26 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)

Quote:
Sure, just get CONVERT Add-on kit which includes holster and CONVERT add-on shell and frame. Keep the holster and sell CONVERT shell

SEIDIO | Convert Add-on Kit for Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Anybody with SURFACE or BB Platinum (the same cases) can use that CONVERT shell on top of their case.
Good idea. Thanks for the link
Old March 27th, 2013, 08:12 AM   #27 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2, HP Touchpad CM9
Carrier: TMO

I grabbed the white UAG case to go with my titanium Note 2. I love it, especially with the orange insert. It really adds that little pop of color. I get a lot of people commenting on and admiring it. I think I'm going to spray paint the black insert so that I'll have my own, unique case.

Overall I'm very happy with the UAG. It even survived a fall falling flat on its face. Granted it was only 3 or 4 feet but it did land on tile.
Old March 27th, 2013, 11:16 AM   #28 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouGonaEatThat View Post
I grabbed the white UAG case to go with my titanium Note 2. I love it, especially with the orange insert. It really adds that little pop of color. I get a lot of people commenting on and admiring it. I think I'm going to spray paint the black insert so that I'll have my own, unique case.

Overall I'm very happy with the UAG. It even survived a fall falling flat on its face. Granted it was only 3 or 4 feet but it did land on tile.
You know what I heard some people do? They go to Lowes or HomeDepot painting department and pick up color samplers. Perfect freebie for UAG

I'm into black'n'white theme, so have my white N2 with white UAG and black insert. But waiting for black carbon fiber vinyl stick on sample from ebay to try it out. Once I get it, and if it looks ok - will post it here.
YouGonaEatThat likes this.
YouGonaEatThat (March 27th, 2013)
Old March 27th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #29 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2, HP Touchpad CM9
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
You know what I heard some people do? They go to Lowes or HomeDepot painting department and pick up color samplers. Perfect freebie for UAG

I'm into black'n'white theme, so have my white N2 with white UAG and black insert. But waiting for black carbon fiber vinyl stick on sample from ebay to try it out. Once I get it, and if it looks ok - will post it here.
I love that idea! There is something about me that likes the diamond pattern on it though. I wonder if it can be replicated somehow......
Old March 28th, 2013, 03:34 PM   #30 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Here is how it looks with CF insert. I ordered 4"x8" stick-on vinyl black CF piece for $0.99 (shipped, 3D Mitsubishi 4"x8" Carbon Fiber Vinyl Sheet Blk Sticker Film Wrap Adhesive | eBay).

The effect is subtle, but does look cool. Pictures don't do justice because of light angle. One thing to mention, since it's a stick on vinyl, I traced and cut it out and then sticked it on the back of my black insert. This way I can still flip it to use my original black insert pattern, and also it's thicker now thus absolutely no movement when I shake the case!

original

cf sample

with cf insert

YouGonaEatThat and OneZeoN like this.
Johnny Doomzday (March 28th, 2013)
sponsored links
Old April 10th, 2013, 09:59 AM   #31 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy S II i9100, NeatRom Lite 4.4 Siyah v6.0b5 Galaxy S III arriving soon.
Carrier: Crazy John (Vodafone)

is Twister the same person as vectron on XDA?
Old April 10th, 2013, 10:25 AM   #32 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post

Yep

Old April 10th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #33 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
I have multiple personalities j/k

I started posting at AF before XDA, and awhile back needed to look up something on XDA where I did a quick registration under my temp screen name. Later when I started to post more reviews on AF I realized that XDA community will benefit from it as well, and continued duplicating review posts in parallel. Nothing I can do about it now, but everyone knows my reviews by a signature granite counter top in the kitchen I use to take my pictures. Got even called "Martha Vectron Stewart" on XDA forum lol!!!

Plus, vendors adding my review pictures/links to their FB pages as well. You can even find it on UAG FB page
Old April 17th, 2013, 09:56 AM   #34 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

In addition to black CF insert (I used black vinyl CF on the back of the original black insert), I made another one with silver CF insert which I stick on the back of original orange insert. This way I still have both original black/orange textured inserts, and on a flip side I have black/silver CF which thickens the insert so it doesn't rattle and adds a nice 3D texture to it. Here is how it looks with silver CF (was a few bucks from ebay, just search for silver CF sample).

YouGonaEatThat likes this.
Old May 18th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #35 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 3 & Gear for the Big RED company

Default Anyone using the UAG case I have a question

Ok so I'm looking at buying the UAG case for my note 2 and I want to know if it works/plays well with a zagg screen protector. Thanks
Old May 18th, 2013, 10:07 PM   #36 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1man View Post
Ok so I'm looking at buying the UAG case for my note 2 and I want to know if it works/plays well with a zagg screen protector. Thanks
Assuming you have zagg sp on now, what case are you using with it? I have/had many cases (refer to the link in my sig), but never used zagg sp. GN2 glass is curved toward the edges, and any high quality screen protector (3H hardness, PET japanese film, crystal clear with no orange peel, no rainbow effect under any light, and no plasticy feeling to the touch or stickiness when using s-pen) - will have a cutout with an extra margin away from the edges of the phone where it might not stick well due to curve of the screen. Btw, what I have listed above as definition of quality screen - is exactly opposite of what I read from a number of users on this forum about zagg with its orange peel and sticky feeling. Again, I'm basing it on other people's replies. Just my opinion - if your screen protector doesn't come too close to the edge, you will be OK with most of the cases. If it is too close to the edge, I would try looking into Spigen or iSmooth screen protectors or a higher priced tempered glass
saltz (May 19th, 2013)
Old May 19th, 2013, 01:37 PM   #37 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 3 & Gear for the Big RED company

Yea the zagg is edge to edge protection. I'm just using the Verizon shell case now but it's not a lot of protection
Old May 20th, 2013, 10:01 PM   #38 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Hi mach.

Moved your thread to the UAG case thread. Also sent you the link.

Carry on.
Glenn9586 and Glenn9586 like this.
Old May 20th, 2013, 10:12 PM   #39 (permalink)

Device(s):

Had one for my S3, instantly bought one for my Note 2....absolutely love it.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2