Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By NeoGrandizer
  • 2 Post By ScandaLeX

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 17th, 2013, 10:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Tongue My Wacom Pen collection for the Note 2/10.1

Just a comparison screen shot of the different S-Pen, S-Pen holder and newer Microsoft Surface Pro Pen.

Out of all the pens, I use the S-Pen holder alot. I like it for the comfort grip and weight. Feels very solid. Then I got the Microsoft Surface Pro pen today because it was $10 cheaper than an official OEM S-Pen or S-Pen with eraser.

Nice size, very light weight (because of the full plastic body) and 'eraser' top. Unfortunately, it feels like a cheap plastic mechanical pencil in my hands. Also doesn't work too well with the Note 2 due to callibration issues. If the MS pen is held perpendicular to the Note 2's screen, the cursor is accurate and dead on. But the moment you hold the MS pen on an angle, the cursor shifts a mm or two or more lower than the actual pen tip (dependent on the angle the pen is held). The odd thing is that the Note 10.1 does not exhibit the same behaviour. The MS pen works well on it with little calibration issue.

The eraser though works great on either without a hitch. As it stands, I'll still use the S-Pen holder with my Note 2 and the MS Surface Pro pen with my Note 10.1. At least this leaves me with a few spare pens to play with.
Bexy likes this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NeoGrandizer For This Useful Post:
Bexy (May 16th, 2013), MmmmBeeeeer (March 25th, 2013), opalfrog (February 18th, 2013)
sponsored links
Old February 18th, 2013, 12:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy S2 Galaxy Note Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: T Mobile UK

Default Re: My Wacom Pen collection for the Note 2/10.1

I use my S-pen holder all the time, money well spent.

Quite like the look of the bluetooth S-pen but it needs to come down in price
Old February 18th, 2013, 07:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Can't argue there. I like the S Pen holder alot too. Mainly using the MS Pen/eraser on the Note 10.1. Can't work with it when on the Note 2. Calibration is way off and auto calibration doesn't seem to work well.

I don't think the bluetooth S Pen will be coming down in price considering it's limited quantity and only given out in the press kit. Not commercially available and I don't think Samsung has plans on producing any more. Would've been nice if they did though.
Old February 18th, 2013, 10:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

I was just wondering if Wacom made any other pens that could be used with the N2. That S pen holder looks pretty cool.
I emailed Wacom the other day to see if they had any other pen options and they sent me a link for the Bamboo Stylus Feel. He told me it could be used on the N2 but after reading I only saw reference to tablets so I'm not sure though.
Sorry, I tried to post a link but everything kept crashing me.
Old February 19th, 2013, 02:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Evo

Default Re: My Wacom Pen collection for the Note 2/10.1

I tried the Bamboo and it did not work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Benjie For This Useful Post:
opalfrog (February 20th, 2013)
Old February 19th, 2013, 06:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy S2 Galaxy Note Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: T Mobile UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoGrandizer View Post
Can't argue there. I like the S Pen holder alot too. Mainly using the MS Pen/eraser on the Note 10.1. Can't work with it when on the Note 2. Calibration is way off and auto calibration doesn't seem to work well.

I don't think the bluetooth S Pen will be coming down in price considering it's limited quantity and only given out in the press kit. Not commercially available and I don't think Samsung has plans on producing any more. Would've been nice if they did though.

Clove are selling it

Samsung HM5100 Bluetooth Stylus Pen | Samsung Accessories
The Following User Says Thank You to MISS DIVA For This Useful Post:
NeoGrandizer (February 19th, 2013)
Old February 19th, 2013, 10:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Hey cool, never knew they actually did produce it. But probably won't be coming to the North American market.
Old February 19th, 2013, 10:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalfrog View Post
I was just wondering if Wacom made any other pens that could be used with the N2. That S pen holder looks pretty cool.
I emailed Wacom the other day to see if they had any other pen options and they sent me a link for the Bamboo Stylus Feel. He told me it could be used on the N2 but after reading I only saw reference to tablets so I'm not sure though.
Compatibility List

Notice the Note 2 is not listed, but the original Note and Note 10.1 are... Because they use practically the same technology, it should work. BUT, as like the MS Surface Pro Pen, there may be calibration issues when using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjie View Post
I tried the Bamboo and it did not work.
Did not work as in it won't be recognized, or is the calibration off that makes it unusable for accurate input. Curious.

Either way, that's way too pricey. I'm better off getting the S-Pen holder for half the cost and know for sure it works. Granted, it's 'older' pen tech, but not noticeable if you're only going to use it for input and note taking.
The Following User Says Thank You to NeoGrandizer For This Useful Post:
opalfrog (February 20th, 2013)
Old February 19th, 2013, 12:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISS DIVA View Post
I use my S-pen holder all the time, money well spent.

Quite like the look of the bluetooth S-pen but it needs to come down in price
Someone would have to pry my BT S-Pen from my cold dead grip!
I sincerely cant imagine life w/O it......I mean I could- I just don't want to.
I had my James Bond moment a few weeks ago- standing in Dunkin Donuts talking on the phone w/It. People think holding a large tablet to your ear looks funny- imagine a pen. The only person who realized what I was doing was the only other person in their with a Note 2 whose a friend of mine.
drexappeal and MISS DIVA like this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScandaLeX For This Useful Post:
drexappeal (February 19th, 2013), MISS DIVA (February 20th, 2013)
Old February 19th, 2013, 12:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISS DIVA View Post
I remember when Clove's page only had a place holder for the BT S-Pen.
I checked all the time waiting for them to actually get it in stock.
Also NegriElectronics was supposed to be carrying it but I got tired of waiting on them too.
Got mine for $100 of eBay from someone who never even opened the box.

The talk time using the pen is rated at 3 hrs so I don't leave bt on all the time on it. Mainly turn it on when I'm out.
sponsored links
Old February 19th, 2013, 02:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (AT&T), Archos 80 G9
Carrier: AT&T (home of dumbed down devices)

I have a 2005 era Toshiba M2 Tablet PC and its stylus works with the Note 2, but I believe you are right regarding this issue - the Toshiba M2 Stylus exhibits similar behavior as described below:

" If the MS pen is held perpendicular to the Note 2's screen, the cursor is accurate and dead on. But the moment you hold the MS pen on an angle, the cursor shifts a mm or two or more lower than the actual pen tip (dependent on the angle the pen is held)."
Old February 19th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoGrandizer View Post
Just a comparison screen shot of the different S-Pen, S-Pen holder and newer Microsoft Surface Pro Pen.

Out of all the pens, I use the S-Pen holder alot. I like it for the comfort grip and weight. Feels very solid. Then I got the Microsoft Surface Pro pen today because it was $10 cheaper than an official OEM S-Pen or S-Pen with eraser.

Nice size, very light weight (because of the full plastic body) and 'eraser' top. Unfortunately, it feels like a cheap plastic mechanical pencil in my hands. Also doesn't work too well with the Note 2 due to callibration issues. If the MS pen is held perpendicular to the Note 2's screen, the cursor is accurate and dead on. But the moment you hold the MS pen on an angle, the cursor shifts a mm or two or more lower than the actual pen tip (dependent on the angle the pen is held). The odd thing is that the Note 10.1 does not exhibit the same behaviour. The MS pen works well on it with little calibration issue.

The eraser though works great on either without a hitch. As it stands, I'll still use the S-Pen holder with my Note 2 and the MS Surface Pro pen with my Note 10.1. At least this leaves me with a few spare pens to play with.
Does the S-Pen holder actually work with the Note 2 S-Pen?
Old February 19th, 2013, 05:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandaLeX View Post
Someone would have to pry my BT S-Pen from my cold dead grip!
I sincerely cant imagine life w/O it......I mean I could- I just don't want to.
I had my James Bond moment a few weeks ago- standing in Dunkin Donuts talking on the phone w/It. People think holding a large tablet to your ear looks funny- imagine a pen. The only person who realized what I was doing was the only other person in their with a Note 2 whose a friend of mine.
Was meaning to ask you how it's been with that thing. Was going to purchase one on ebay, but held off (hoping that Samsung would sell it directly through the site).

I'm still considering getting one, but will probably hold off until I have my Note 8 tablet.
Old February 19th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
Does the S-Pen holder actually work with the Note 2 S-Pen?
No. It will not. The Note 2 S Pen is physically designed differently. It's not as round for the barrel and is longer than the original.

When you buy the holder, you get the holder AND additional S Pen. Hence the cost being relatively the same as an OEM S Pen. I am not aware of Samsung selling the holder strictly on its own.
The Following User Says Thank You to NeoGrandizer For This Useful Post:
drexappeal (February 19th, 2013)

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2